Atheists sue Pennsylvania for declaring 2012 'Year of the Bible'

Dar 2012/03/27 10:56:27
More Atheists craziness....
I support Pennsylvania.
I support the Atheists.
Other comment.
A national group of atheists and agnostics is suing Pennsylvania lawmakers for declaring 2012 as "the Year of the Bible."

Freedom From Religion Foundation filed a federal lawsuit on Monday, challenging the constitutionality of the Pennsylvania House’s declaration that 2012 is “The Year of the Bible."

"The plaintiff seeks a declaration under 28 USC §2201 that the Year of the Bible Resolution violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution," the group claims in its lawsuit.

The group says the resolution was tantamount to the Commonwealth "endorsing a state-sanctioned religion."

Among its many objections, the FFRF said in the lawsuit is that bible “contains violent, sexist and racist models of behavior that FFRF members find personally repugnant, and which potentially could encourage persons who rely on them to act in a manner harmful to them and others.”

Among the three plaintiffs in the lawsuit is State Rep. Rick Saccone, author of the resolution that passed unanimously in January 2012.

Saccone is a freshman representative of Allegheny County who is expected to have a tough re-election campaign.

Saccone has said his resolution recognizes the important role the Bible has played in state history.

He issued a press release in February defending the resolution .

"I think the unanimous vote in the PA House last week suggests that although it may not be politically correct to admit, our leaders certainly do recognize the value of God’s word in government. We will all be better off for it," Saccone said at the time.

"A simple resolution passed the House unanimously on Jan. 24. It recognizes the significant impact the Bible has had on our country. It in no way inhibits anyone from believing in any faith or no faith. Most citizens don’t remember that a joint session of Congress passed a similar resolution signed by President Ronald Reagan on Feb. 3, 1983, declaring that year as the Year of the Bible in America."

In February, Philadelphia Democrat Rep. Mark Cohen said he wanted to reconsider the resolution that passed the state House of Representatives unanimously.

Cohen said he regretted not realizing the resolution's content.

He also appeared at a news conference with representatives of the Pennsylvania Council of Churches, the American Civil Liberties Union and American Atheists.

Read More: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/ath...

• TheVynne 2012/04/28 04:54:37
    I support the Atheists.
    TheVynne
    What exactly constitutes a "Year of the Bible"? Is the sequel coming out? O_o
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/24 16:58:37
    I support the Atheists.
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
  • Bibliophilic 2012/03/27 19:36:31
    I support the Atheists.
    Bibliophilic
    What is the point of this new day? It's pointless and just an attempt to force religious ideology upon the populace.
  • Headhunter 13 2012/03/27 15:16:39
    I support the Atheists.
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    As a Pennsylvanian I think the idea of year of the book of myths is a joke. What next year going to be year of Lord of the Tings or Twilight or maybe Hunger Games?
  • bob h. 2012/03/27 14:42:56
    I support the Atheists.
    bob h.
    +1
    While it's true that it doesn't "found a Religion", it supports one to the exclusion of all others. Where does it say that public taxes support one belief?
  • hari 2012/03/27 13:46:06
    Other comment.
    hari
    i do not indulge for debate on religious or mythological issues which do not have adequate substance to prove . Mostly its belief / rituals / perception of certain group of ppl interact with prejudice thought process
  • bob h. hari 2012/03/27 14:16:46
  • hari bob h. 2012/03/27 18:07:25
    hari
    Txs
  • D D 2012/03/27 12:34:52
    More Atheists craziness....
    D D
    +1
    If it was the Quran chosen they would say nothing. Not a peep. Selective secularism.
  • Yosyp D D 2012/03/27 13:02:26
    Yosyp
    I really think if it were the Quran not only would atheist protest but Christians as well
  • D D Yosyp 2012/03/27 14:24:08
    D D
    They don't mind Islam being taught in our public schools. So?
  • Philo-Publius 2012/03/27 11:52:55
    Other comment.
    Philo-Publius
    +2
    PA HR535 certainly gives the appearance of establishment, going so far as calling the Bible explicitly 'the word of God', but I am under the impression that Resolutions do not have the force of law (I would, however, be interested in hearing other legal opinions on the matter).

If the precise language of the 1st Amendment was incorporated into the 14th, and my above premise is true, then the prohibition extended against legislatures that they shall

...make no law respecting an establishment of religion...

does not apply here, and establishment is not constituted as per the original meaning of the 1st Amendment. This is a perhaps subtle but important distinction. It appears the Constitution (and possibly the Incorporation Doctrine) does not require that no religious references or even 'official' religious declarations whatever be made. It only seems to require that no laws (rules which are binding on individuals, which compel or prohibit, and which ordinarily carry penalties or deny privileges for such act or omission) which would have the effect of establishment can be made.

Full text of Resolution: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/...
  • bob h. Philo-P... 2012/03/27 14:34:03
    bob h.
    +1
    Terrific; so next the fundys will want one bible the Catholics another, the JW will just want pamphlets, Pat Robertson will start printing in S. Africa using slave labor, and 7th Day Adventists will demand 10% of copies sold. Simple; just launch a feasibility study, then a committee, finally a Dept' of Book.
  • Headhun... bob h. 2012/03/27 15:18:59
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    They pretty much already have that with over 700 versions in English alone. The catholic bible is different from the king james and they are both different from the fundy versions
  • The River Rat 2012/03/27 11:37:56
    More Atheists craziness....
    The River Rat
    +1
    What a bunch of mean, stupid peope.
  • Dar The Riv... 2012/03/27 12:00:41
    Dar
    +1
    You said it.
  • Waldorf The Riv... 2012/03/27 12:06:29 (edited)
    Waldorf
    +1
    But if it was declared the year of the Koran, that would be different.
  • The Riv... Waldorf 2012/03/27 12:24:57
    The River Rat
    Ah, yes, the religion of "peace" reares its ugly head. I am not a believer in either religion but I know where my sympathies lie. Not with the barbarians.
  • Waldorf The Riv... 2012/03/27 12:27:49
    Waldorf
    +2
    Me neither, but Christofascists are not exactly peace-loving either.
  • bob h. Waldorf 2012/03/27 14:37:06
    bob h.
    +1
    Oops; time for an oil crusade.
  • Headhun... The Riv... 2012/03/27 15:20:00
    Headhunter 13
    Why? As a Pennsylvanian I am embarrassed that such childissh nonsense over a book of myths occured at all.

2014/07/31 03:26:36