Atheists Attack Obama Administration for Praying for Rain: Agree?

Fef 2012/07/20 22:00:00
Obama administration for Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack said at a White House press briefing that he prays for rain to end the drought. Vilsack said, “I get on my knees every day. And I’m saying an extra prayer now. If I had a rain prayer or a rain dance I could do, I would do it.”

Tom Flynn, the executive director of the Council for Secular Humanism, accused Vilsack of crossing the as a government official. Flynn accused Vilsack of violating the Constitution. “...praying for rain? That’s not just government entangling itself with religion, that’s government publicly practicing it, and wallowing in superstition.”

Flynn said Vilsack "sends the wrong message to distraught farmers when the Agriculture Secretary suggests that the best response is to pray. For a Cabinet official to recommend prayer as a solution or call attention to his own devotions may violate the Constitution’s prohibition against establishment of religion. Most important, though, is that prayer doesn’t work. But if you want to test the power of prayer yourself, consider this. Apparently Secretary Vilsack’s been praying for rain every day; how’s that working out?”

Video of 7/18/12: White House Press Briefing with Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack:

BUZZFEED.COM reports:
Atheists: Obama Administration Out Of Line To Pray For Rain: The Council for Secular Humanism attacks Obama official for saying he is ...

Read More: http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/atheists-obama...

• Stardust 2012/07/20 10:40:44
  • No, I disagree with the Atheists
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +17
    Flynn is another atheists loon! Wow, PC has gone crazy in this nation! screw Political correctness
  • wilsonmja ☆The Ro... 2012/07/21 17:02:40 (edited)
    wilsonmja
    While I agree with you and have no problem with this guy talking about his religion, I have to ask you this: If he had expressed his disbelief in Christianity or praised Allah would you stand by all those irrate Christians who would want him ousted or would you defes his right to believe whatever he wants?
  • norman ☆The Ro... 2012/07/21 17:44:09
    norman
    Although I think Mr. Flynn has blown this "prayer thing" all out of proportion and is actually kind of dumb to be wasting his time on a harmless statement, it's hardly "political correctness" to be saying what he said.

On the contrary, it's far more "politically correct" to be in favor of prayer and to be professing one's "faith" than to be atheist.

If you doubt that just stand up in almost any public place and profess your non-belief in Jesus. Get in a conversation at any grocery store and declare your atheism and see what happens. Better yet, go out on any street corner in just about any town in America and start handing out anti-religious literature declaring there is no god and see what happens.

Atheism is about as far from being "politically correct" as one can get. In fact, the only thing I can imagine being less "politically correct" than publicly pronouncing oneself an atheist is to stand up at a public gathering and announce that America is not the greatest country in the world.

Try it sometime. The next time you hear people talking about America being the greatest country in the world, try disagreeing and see how everyone around you reacts. If you persist in that opinion you will soon find yourself being threatened with bodily harm by all the "patriots" around you.

In poi...

In point of fact, there is nothing in this country more "politically correct" than a declaration that America is the single exceptional nation in all of history. American Exceptionalism is the single most "politically correct" belief in all of America.
  • America... ☆The Ro... 2012/07/22 17:46:10
    American☆Atheist
    I am sure if it was to Allah you would be saying the say thing.....
  • ☆The Ro... America... 2012/07/22 22:21:16
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +3
    Allah doesn't have power to make it rain! LOL..Go away, Troll!!
  • America... ☆The Ro... 2012/07/22 22:28:55
    American☆Atheist
    Either does your sky daddy. You mid as well do a rain dance.

rain dancing rain dancing
  • ☆The Ro... America... 2012/07/22 22:31:31
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +3
    My God is sorveign and infinite, he can do what he wants, when he wants, Troll!!
  • DutchHe... ☆The Ro... 2012/07/23 08:03:41
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    Hi Rock
  • Katherine 2012/07/20 10:07:36
    No, I disagree with the Atheists
    Katherine
    +4
    Great, so the settlers escaped forced Protestantism (?), now we have the establishment of Atheism as the country's forced religion... Some of our Founding Fathers held prayers on the floor of Congress... Does this really hurt anyone? Praying for rain?
  • The Electrician 2012/07/20 09:17:47 (edited)
    No, I disagree with the Atheists
    The Electrician
    +5
    I'd piss on a "spark plug" if I thought it would bring rain. The man realizes the seriousness of the situation. I would imagine he was speaking more figuratively than literally. Even Atheist sometimes pray, even if it's a silent prayer. Gov. Perry of Texas scheduled a prayer meeting in a football stadium to pray for rain. and speaking of separation of church and state, Texas took Jefferson out of the history books and "re-wrote" them because they didn't mention Jesus Christ.
  • ☆The Ro... The Ele... 2012/07/20 10:40:49 (edited)
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +5
    Piss on a spark plug? LMAO

rotflmao

2014/07/22 09:27:05