Are you ready for your "Spy-Chip" Implant?

Birthpangs 2012/05/06 04:25:42

The U.S. military wants to plant nanosensors in soldiers to monitor health on future battlefields and immediately respond to needs, but a privacy expert warns the step is just one more down the road to computer chips for all.

“It’s never going to happen that the government at gunpoint says, ‘You’re going to have a tracking chip,’” said Katherine Albrecht, who with Liz McIntyre authored “Spychips,” a book that warns of the threat to privacy posed by Radio Frequency Identification.

“It’s always in incremental steps. If you can put a microchip in someone that doesn’t track them … everybody looks and says, ‘Come on,’” she said. “It’ll be interesting seeing where we go.”

According to a report at Mobiledia, the U.S. military’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has confirmed plans to create nanosensors to monitor the health of soldiers on battlefields.

The devices also would report data to doctors. But privacy analysts have expressed concern that the implants could be used not just to monitor health but to keep track of and possibly control people.

DARPA describes the technology on which it is working as “a truly disruptive innovation,” which would diagnose, monitor vital states and “even deliver medicine into the bloodstream.”

According to LiveScience.com, “Solving the problem of sickness could have a huge impact on the number of soldiers ready to fight, because far more have historically died due to illness rather than combat.”

The report suggested that for special forces, “the practical realization of implantable nanosensors capable of monitoring multiple indicators of physiological state could be a truly disruptive innovation.”

Already being researched is the concept of nanosensors diagnosing disease.

DARPA expects to launch a second effort focused on treatment later this year.

Albrecht said the move is another step in the trip down the road of having every person implanted with a chip that might very well monitor health but also other areas of life.

Microchipping, she said, already is “par for the course” for pets in many parts of the nation, and that acceptance will make it easier to require it for people.

She said it was expected that captive audiences, such as prisoners and troops, would be the first subjected to the requirement, which would make it easier for the general populace to accept it as well.

“It’s interesting,” she said. “I’m stunned how this younger generation is OK. They don’t see the problem. … ‘Why wouldn’t everyone want to be tracked?’”

But she said Americans will have to decide to say no to incremental advances, or by the time officials finally roll out the idea of chips for all, whether they want them or not, it will be too late to decide.

“The analogy that I draw is [that of a train], and if I’m in California and I do not want to wind up in New City, every stop brings me closer,” she said. “At some point I have to get off the train.”

Albrecht also has helped develop and launch a new project called StartPage, which now is handling some 2 million search requests per day.

The benefit of the page is its privacy. The site explains that every time a person uses a typical search program such as Google, “your search data is recorded.”

“Then they store that information in a giant database,” she explains.

As a result, corporate America and the government have access to “a shocking amount of personal information about you, such as your interests, family circumstances, political leanings, medical conditions and more

• Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2012/05/06 04:34:04 (edited)
    Mark of the beast?
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +5
    As science fiction, as we know, usually does eventually come true, we’re moving even closer to “1984”

1984

And, our military, as usual, using us as it's launching pad toward that goal under the guise of *cough* helping our troops

Mark of the beast?
    +2
    SHUDDER ..
    this is shades of this movie ..
    logan s run
    A slippery slope indeed ..
    I'd not want one of these chips inside of me ..
    YIKES ..
    (especially knowing how things can get changed with a line of code .. from checking on your health .. to ENDING your health .. )
  • Revolution 2012 2012/05/06 21:52:51
    Other
    Revolution 2012
    +2
    I don't like the idea of microchipping people, whatever the reason is. It's too risky, too easy to abuse, and the political situation in the world today is too unstable we don't know how they intend to use it. While there are some advantages like tracking lost people, early detection of illness and even as a personal ID card in your arm, it's a highly invasive and easily corruptable procedure. Wait a while before you tag-and-bag the American people. We are advancing too fast technologically for us to safely control its use so we should wait before making such a radical upset to our daily lives.
  • Birthpangs Revolut... 2012/05/07 15:09:11
  • Pat 2012/05/06 05:11:38
    Other
    +3
    No chips for me, thanks!
  • john Kills 2012/05/06 05:01:03
    Mark of the beast?
    john Kills
    +3
    Mark of the beast!!!!! I will never take the chip knowingly. There reason I say that is I just had a rotator cuff repaired. Never know if they might have slipped it in while I was out.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/06 04:34:37
    Other
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +3
    THANKS BUT NO THANKS!
    Mark of the beast?
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +5

1984

• LADY LI... Duke---... 2012/05/06 04:36:22
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +2
    HELLO, BROTHER DUKE! DO YOU REMEMBER ME?
  • Duke---... LADY LI... 2012/05/06 04:40:27
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +2
    Sure do Lady ! how you doing ?
  • LADY LI... Duke---... 2012/05/06 04:49:48
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +2
    THANKS BROTHER, I do less but I love life & happy! I wish you a great spring! thank friend thank friend
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/05/06 04:30:42
  • Birthpangs Michael... 2012/05/06 04:34:14
  • Michael... Birthpangs 2012/05/06 04:40:44
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +3
    No, but I believe mutt would also implement the same thing in his admin..........
  • Birthpangs Michael... 2012/05/06 04:42:36
  • LADY LI... Birthpangs 2012/05/06 04:43:00
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +2
    DEAR FRIENDS, HAVE A GREAT SPRING! THANK FRIEND THANK FRIEND THANK FRIEND
  • Birthpangs LADY LI... 2012/05/06 05:27:31
  • blah 2012/05/06 04:30:11
    Mark of the beast?
    blah
    +5
    Only after I'm dead.
  • Birthpangs 2012/05/06 04:26:42

2014/04/19 14:50:57