Are you outraged at Congress for bailing out Wall St?

Politics 2008/10/02 02:27:16
Yes, I am outraged that Congress bailed out Wall Street.
No, I am happy that Congress pushed to bail out Wall Street.
I think Congress bailing out Wall Street is...
With stocks dropping, financial institutions going bankrupt and Wall Street in a deep mess, Congress has been trying relentlessy to find an ameanable solution to this economic crisis. The original Bailout Plan, which included spending $700 billion of tax payers money, was vetoed by the House of Representatives. With the 2008 presidential elections coming up fast, the presidential candidates, John McCain and Barack Obama became very involved in helping solve the financial crisis.

However, when the bailout plan did not make its way throught the House, the Senate made some alterations and set the new plan to vote, which passed. This means lots of tax payers money will be spent to help big financial institutions get back on their feet.

• panthercat 2008/10/04 19:31:52
    panthercat
    +5
    Very wrong, as it set the precedent for future financial disasters and makes it look like its the only solution to the problem. The bankers made all of the mistake, but who gets to bail them out of their jam? We the people. Here’s how the Swedish took care of the same problem. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/0...

• Jim 2009/09/07 11:18:42
    Jim
  • Stoney 2009/03/26 04:08:41
    Stoney
    If they are so big that it can cause all the problem Obama claims then they should have broke them up just like they did to ATT and Dupont years ago.
  • ljlu 2009/01/07 17:45:21
    ljlu
    Wall Street did this with the help of Bush deregulations and the Feds not paying attention to the sceems that were going on already, that they were warned on 10 years ago and ignored. No one in Congress asked wall Street for a plan but they do the auto makers. We still have no plan from Wall Street and what about the party they had with our bail out money after they got it? What about a plan to explain how it is used and how they will pay us back? Congress gave it away w/no plan, no regulations are still in place. Say by by billions. Perhaps we need to clean out and vote in a new Congress? One with new blood, and no old boys network.
  • ally zzzzzzz 2008/11/02 04:01:29
    ally zzzzzzz
    +2
    once other companies start to slump, they'll be asking for 5 million here and another 10 million there. the question is where to draw the line. you can't just continually bail out ever group who asks. we have a limited supply of money, yes its actually true. spend wisely, lets try to pay off the debt we owe other countries, hmm?
  • lwout ally zz... 2008/11/27 02:23:12
    lwout
    Sorry but we no longer deal with small amounts...millions please call back when you get billions in debt then we will talk.
    So how do you all feel about being owned by China ? ...at least the food is good ..im currently looking for a good tattoo artiest to get my commie red star.

Sorry about the sarcasm but i am pissed i like to be kissed before getting screwed.
  • B 2008/11/02 00:22:16
    B
    +1
    Yes, It IS outragous.

I believe Obama said it quite well....when he spoke of this business of taxpayers being responsible for the losses while the wolves on Wall Street take all the profits and how he as President will put a STOP to that.

Good. Obama's got MY Vote! WE NEED someone to put a stop to it and stand up for the workin' man across America!

The need for the Wall Street bailout IS Outragous.

Reminds me of the scripture that states; "They hate those whom they've wounded" ... I've also heard it stated as "They hate those whom they take"
    The wolves and crooks that injured the American workin' man across America so badly, have the gall and audacity to blame the American workin' man for the housing crisis.
  • lawyertoo B 2008/11/26 14:50:56
    lawyertoo
    Well, it's not the first lie he told and will not be the last....check the votes, he voted for the bail out!
  • TJ 2008/11/01 22:56:51 (edited)
    TJ
    +1
    We, the people, need to get more informed. Google these clowns in office. Find out how they vote, they are supposed to work for us, and too many of them are not working for the people -- they are lining their pockets and voting for their friends to keep their cushy jobs. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi DEMOCRAT from California, Senator Reid DEMOCRAT from Nevada, and others like them, just infuriates me how they think they fool intelligent people -- well i've got news for them. It takes time but people WILL wisen up and start to see them for what they are. And hopefully fire their assk me no more questions.
  • Sarge 2008/11/01 21:54:52
    Sarge
    +1
    The only ones that will benefit from this are the rich. They caused the problem and should pay for it. If my business goes under because of financial mismanagement, I loose everything. I had a Trucking business with my friend who managed to get thrown in jail. I struggled by myself to keep things afloat, but the manager/secretary had other ideas. She ran off with all the money and left me holding the bag. I lost it all, including $20,000 up front money to get in. No one bailed me out. Now them BAS--RDS are squirreling money away for bonuses. HOW DARE THEY AND WHY IS THE GOVERNMENT LATTING THEM GET AWAY WITH IT. $8 billion dollars, that's right, $8 billion for doing a job very,very poorly, not get fired, get a bonus!!!! This is totally inexcusable!!!
  • TJ Sarge 2008/11/29 22:50:27
    TJ
    Yes many of those rich people are in the congress -- again I repeat -- Pelosi -- Democrat; Reid -- Democrat; Kennedy -- Democrat; Kerry -- Democrat; Rangel -- Democrat, etc.
  • Pseudonymious Rex 2008/11/01 21:50:28
    Pseudonymious Rex
    Was a necessary evil that still really, really sucks. The risks involved in NOT doing it (especially since Berneke, who as an academic wrote papers about just such economic troubles, was so worried lends credence to this idea (and he has successfully forecast the problems that can entail in other situations in the first world)) were dire.
  • lawyertoo Pseudon... 2008/11/26 14:54:37
    lawyertoo
    Well he was wrong, they got the money and what did they do with it? We don't know, because neither BHO, John McCain or any other member of Congress put any rules about that so they just did what they usually do, squander the money and ask for more. Congress was so clueless...and did not take the time to think the matter through...they did what they usually do (change my ass-BHO voted for the bailout too) they just throw money at the problem, OUR MONEY!
  • Robin 2008/11/01 20:50:57
    Robin
    +1
    Any 3rd grade school child can punch in the numbers. Divide the total dollars used to bail out Wall Street by the number of American Citizens. You'll find most of us can pay off our homes, our cars, our debt and still bank enough to provide for our futures. The figure will be 300K to 450k depending on where you draw the minimum age limit. Screw the companies. Send the cash to us. 20% - 40% will still go back to the government in taxes. They can use THAT money to bail out whoever they want!! NOW!! HOW BOUT THAT!!?? Hell, that's radical enough for a fascist.
  • Jake 2008/11/01 19:19:44
    Jake
    +1
    and now the banks want to use the funds to pay last years unpaid bonuses to the big bosses for which the money was NOT INTENDED. This could of been stopped if there were rules in place before the funds went out. How big will the parachutes be with the help of the taxpayer. If you have NO JOB what good is bailing out a persons mortgage? get the jobs back here NOW..
  • Ernest2x 2008/11/01 16:05:58
    Ernest2x
    +1
    I do not think that Congress should have bailed out Wall Street. The emphasis should have been placed on Main Street, who took the hardest hit. The Bank Executives have already taken out their personal losses. Some even went on expensive vacations, trips, etc. We, the people of Main Street, can only go on with or lives, short of funds to get the things we need, and hope that things will eventualy get better. I cannot think like "Joe the Plumber", and others, who bites the hands that are trying to help me.

Ernest 2x
  • cybernestical 2008/11/01 15:22:08
    cybernestical
    another way to give more money to the rich people. It is a not senses solution.
  • Johnny B. 2008/11/01 13:57:19
    Johnny B.
    Congress should have to personaly pay back the tax payers and take a 90% reduction in pay.
  • moses 2008/10/31 20:34:16 (edited)
    moses
    I went to, too many westerns. Every one had a gang that was trying to steal the peoples wealth or land. Nine times out of ten the leader of the gang was the town banker. Things haven't changed much, has it. By the way, it is the banking community that is being bailed out.
  • devildave 2008/10/31 19:39:58
    devildave
    +1
    yes very much, they should shut down wall street, it's nothing but a gambling casino, the only ones who will benefit out of this is the ceo's and all the crooks who got us into this mess, wall street has gotten out of control, it needs to be put out of action..
    America the Republic-rats and the Demon-icans are setting us up for a new Holocaust. We can raise up and say no! Use your vote and cast it for a 3rd party! Choose one. It does not matter which but we have to send a message. If we don't organize and fight back somehow we are doomed.

www.infowars.com
  • Sarge Mike 2008/11/01 22:02:22
    Sarge
    +1
    I don't know if you have paid attention to your history or not, but if you look back across the years, the third guy never wins. It is usually the one that you want least in office that benefits from third party votes. They sent George the first back to KenneBunkPort! A third party vote now guarantees a win for Oboma!!
  • Mike Sarge 2008/11/02 00:19:01
    You are absolutely right! And until Americans like yourself start voting for 3rd party candidates we are going to continue to go down a road where the two candidates profferd by the system are under control of Oligarchs who finance them. We will never be free until we get candidates in who will restore the constitution and remove the central bank from control of the money.
  • TJ Mike 2008/11/02 00:11:23
    TJ
    +1
    Sorry mike, the reality is, if you vote for the third party all you are doing is wasting a vote, because it only takes away from the other parties. Ralph Nadar has been running forever and it seems to me he lives for the fame and doesn't bother to think how he is hurting the system. The third party would be ok, and more efficient if more people would give their financial and moral support to a third party. I bet if we did have a third party there would still be people asking for a fourth party. Some people are never satisfied.
  • Mike TJ 2008/11/02 00:22:37
    Time to wake up TJ. Repubs and Dems don't represent us anymore. They just get the cash and lie lie lie. Nothing will change untill we start choosing different candidates or when things get bad enough lead an armed insurrection on washington.
  • gumbo 2008/10/31 15:22:37
    gumbo
    +1
    Governments, both the feds and our state governments, have gotten way too big. The reason American companies have been going overseas is because they can't make a profit in America anymore. Taxes are way too high, as in insurance rates, (insurance rates because of ambulance chasing lawyers and our incredibly overcomplex judicial system(once again, largely messed up by lawyers), and Americans are pissed. We are too socialistic already, that's why things are so messed up . Nothing will get better until governments (both fed and state) are drastically down-sized, and our tax burdens are substantially lowered, period. Wake up and smell the coffee. Also, I'm sick of the rich and the corporations being blamed for all the problems-governments steal much more from the working man and woman than the rich and corporations ever did. People need to wake up.
  • Cub6265 2008/10/31 03:27:57
    Cub6265
    A huge sign of corruption that has been building for years, but especially an end result of the Bush administration and the purchase of Iraq!
  • TJ Cub6265 2008/11/02 00:18:08
    TJ
    Cuba, you're so misguided and so full of misinformation. The Bush Admin. for the most part has been trying to pass laws that would help our county and the democrat congress has stopped many good bills from passing. They don't want this president to get ANY CREDIT. But you are so biased and probably, i bet you don't have know who our speaker of the house is, who the secretary of state is, and i bet you don't even have a clue about the economy and how it works.
  • lawyertoo Cub6265 2008/11/26 15:06:53
    lawyertoo
    You are an idiot liberal...this problem was started by the dumbacrate party and their Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac let's give the poor a house policy! You liberals need to get over blaming George W. Bush for everything, including natrual disasters, this was started by Jimmy Carter, a liberal (one of the more stupid ones), and continued by the liberals from there on, if the republicans wanted to change the rules on these programs they were accused of hurting the poor! Well, you cannot blame Bush or the Banks, the liberals pushed this agenda and "poor people" were buying houses they could not afford, and as Rev. Wright likes to say, "the chickens have come home to roost". The problem is Americans are too uneducated, public schools, to research the facts and just run like a bunch of sheep behind the dumbacrat party baaing...how stupid is it to do exactly the same thing over and over again and expect a different result? I think that is the definition of insanity...and the American people proved their insanity on November 2nd in a big way...they put the same party in office that caused the problem to solve the problem, how insane is that?
  • Hellraiser 2008/10/31 02:44:43
    Hellraiser
    +1
    That bail out will not do much for the economy. The democrats wanted to do something since they were the ones who created this situation. So, their idea was to fuck it up even more. Back in the early 80's, we ran into the same thing, with out a bail out, the problem corrected itself.
  • Charmar 2008/10/31 01:50:54
    Charmar
    +1
    It makes me so mad that the ones causing this housing crissis and the democrats still won't take any responsiblety plus they blame the Bush and republican s. They lie use decitfull methods and getting so much money from this plus they have the majority so how can they sit their with smug smiles lie through their teathe at the american people. If oboma gets in we will definately have a civil war. I even think if oboma looses we will also have a big problem on our hands. We may also have many terriosts inside America to contend with. God helpe us and God Bles America Love her or leave.
  • Sarge Charmar 2008/11/01 22:06:15
    Sarge
    +1
    WOW!!!! Charmer, there is some one else out there with half a brain. That's all I had to use. That would be half of 135,, let me see, someone with an IQ of 67.5 could figure it out. Must be an awful lot of low IQs out there. Good job. Sarge
  • Charmar Sarge 2008/11/11 04:00:46
    Charmar
    +1
    Well now we have another problem or maybe not. oboma is the president elect. So if we let him stay or not it is a good thing because the race issue is no longer an issue. All the guilt from our ancesters of the blacks for slavery is not going to be the issue it will be his own fault one way or another if he fails. If he is a african not from slavery but from africa he could be held responsible for slavery if his people sold blacks to those for slavery. It could get very interesting.
  • TJ Charmar 2008/11/02 00:19:04
    TJ
    Right on!!!
  • Jensenmk 2008/10/30 23:31:49
    Jensenmk
    +1
    The ones talking the loudest about bailing them out are also some of the people who are at greatest fault for being in this situation, by passing shaddy legislation forcing lenders to give loans to people who can't afford them during the Klinton years.

Of course, all those ignorant folks that bought houses they couldn't afford, simply because they felt they were 'entitled' to them, also carry a great deal of blame.
  • Sarge Jensenmk 2008/11/01 22:12:29
    Sarge
    +1
    This is true, but the Real Estate Agents are more to blame than any one for the housing debacle. They twisted and turned incomes and arms to get people to buy homes they could not afford. I have a friend that probably should not have received a loan for $100, let alone one for $198, . They had to borrow $7,500 more for the down payment. The bank would not have liked that, so the Real Estate Agent lent them the extra money for the down payment. I told my friend that was not legal and he should turn it down. The Real Estate Agent told them I was wrong. What do you suppose that bank would do if they knew?
  • TJ Sarge 2008/11/02 00:26:27
    TJ
    +1
    If the real estate agents didn't help the poor suckers on getting the American dream then they would be called racists. Plus if there weren't so many greedy people and if there had been more people just doing the right thing then just maybe we wouldn't be in such a mess. Greedy investors, speculators, ACORN and democrats who insisted on passing lesgislation that would force banks to make many risky loans etc. There are more to blame than the R.E. Agents.
  • Jensenmk Sarge 2010/10/21 14:00:16
    Jensenmk
    Real Estate agents don't have anything to do with determining who gets a mortgage, period. Your 'friend' just got a loan AND a mortgage to get his house, not necessarily too smart.

Financially unsound PC programs biased towards minorities is what caused the housing debacle and let to this whole sense of entitlement that is pervading our civilization.
  • Carl 2008/10/30 22:50:46
    Carl
    +1
    ...unfortunately unavoidable at this time. However, what really rubs me raw is the fact that those responsible have not been held accountable. The heads of Freddie and Fannie along with their congressional Democratic supporters need to go to prison because they commented fraud. The sub-prime scandal is a prime example of "bait and switch" scheme.
  • USAmom 2008/10/30 22:46:53
    USAmom
    That money would have been better spent by giving it to tax payers over the age of 18. That would have been a giant boom to our poor economy. Mortgages and other loans could have been paid off, gas friendly cars could have been purchased, etc. Uncle Sam could have taxed each check that way everyone could have had a nice boost. Giving the bail out to the greedy CEO'S that helped cause this mess shows what is wrong with the way our governement thinks. Main Street is the back bone of this country...not Wall Street CEO'S.
  • unicorn66 2008/10/30 19:38:21 (edited)
    unicorn66
    +2
    They caused the mess in the first place back in the 1990's with the support of Bill Clinton to provide low cost mortgages to the less than credit worthy. So they invented the sub-prime mortgage which was a futile attempt to change the dynamics of risk and reward. And we can see where it has lead us. So let them clean it up!

2014/10/31 00:08:15