Are you OK with a TSA proposal will require airlines to let passengers to fly with pigs and other uncontroversial service animals,for 'emotional support'?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/10 12:26:06
This TSA proposal is nuts because....
All service animals need to allowed on flights because....
Other Thoughts!

pot belly pigs  service animals
Pot-bellied pigs must be granted passage on airplanes if they are used for “emotional support” by their owners, states the Department of Transportation’s (DOT) draft manual on equity for the disabled in air travel.

The DOT published its “Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel: Draft Technical Assistance Manual” in the Federal Register on July 5, providing guidance that allows swine on airplanes if they are determined to be service animals.

The manual is designed to "help carriers and indirect carriers and their employees/contractors that provide services or facilities to passengers with disabilities, assist those passengers in accordance with" the Air Carrier Access Act. The manual open for public comments until Oct. 3.

Under the “Service Animal” section, the department lays out a scenario for airline carriers entitled “Example 1.”

The manual states: “A passenger arrives at the gate accompanied by a pot-bellied pig. She claims that the pot-bellied pig is her service animal. What should you do?”

“Generally, you must permit a passenger with a disability to be accompanied by a service animal,” reads the manual. “However, if you have a reasonable basis for questioning whether the animal is a service animal, you may ask for some verification.”

The manual instructs airline carriers and their employees to begin by asking questions about the animal, such as, “What tasks or functions does your animal perform for you?” or “What has its training been?”

“If you are not satisfied with the credibility of the answers to these questions or if the service animal is an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you may request further verification,” the guidebook states. “You should also call a CRO [Complaints Resolution Official] if there is any further doubt as to whether the pot-bellied pig is the passenger's service animal.”

If the answers are satisfactory, pot-bellied pigs, which can weigh as much as 300 pounds, must be accepted aboard the plane.

“Finally, if you determine that the pot-bellied pig is a service animal, you must permit the service animal to accompany the passenger to her seat provided the animal does not obstruct the aisle or present any safety issues and the animal is behaving appropriately in a public setting,” the manual states.

Last November, ABC News reported that a 300-pound pot-bellied pig flew on a US Airways flight from Philadelphia to Seattle because the animal was deemed a therapeutic companion pet.

Wendy Ponzo, vice president of the North American Potbellied Pig Association, said that the pigs can be used as service animals and can be trained to open and close doors and use a litter box. “They also seem to have a sense if the owner is not feeling well to stay by them,” said Ponzo, who has multiple sclerosis.

“They help me a great deal when I feel at my worst,” she said.

The DOT’s technical assistance manual is designed for airlines and passengers with disabilities under the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA). The ACAA was passed in 1986 and bars discrimination against the disabled in air travel.

“It is designed to serve as an authoritative source of information about the services, facilities, and accommodations required by the ACAA,” the manual states. The DOT says that the manual “does not expand carriers' legal obligations or establish new requirements under the law.”

In its definition of service animal, the DOT includes creatures that provide “emotional support.” The manual defines a service animal as an “animal individually trained to perform functions to assist a person with a disability; Animal that has been shown to have the innate ability to assist a person with a disability…or Emotional support or psychiatric service animal.”

“You should be aware that there are many different types of service animals that perform a range of tasks for individuals with a disability,” the manual states.

"Be aware," it says, "that people who have disabilities that are not apparent may travel with emotional support, psychiatric service, or other service animals," it says.

Though pot-bellied pigs are permissible, the DOT forbids some animals from aircraft. “As a U.S. carrier, you are not required to carry certain unusual service animals in the aircraft cabin such as ferrets, rodents, spiders, snakes and other reptiles,” it states.

Miniature horses and monkeys, which the manual describes as “commonly used service animals,” are also permitted.

On a case-by-case basis, the DOT says, animals can be turned away if they are “too large or heavy to be accommodated in the aircraft cabin; would pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others; would cause a significant disruption in cabin service; or would be prohibited from entering a foreign country at the aircraft's destination.”

As CNSNews.com previously reported, under new Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines businesses also must permit miniature horses for use as service guide animals on their premises.

According to the DOT guidebook, if an animal is not accepted, the carrier must document the decision in writing and provide it to the passenger within 10 days.

Foreign carriers only have to accommodate dogs as service animals, unless the flight is code-shared with a U.S. carrier.

Carriers must also provide “relief areas” for service animals. “With respect to terminal facilities you own, lease, or control at a U.S. airport, you must, in cooperation with the airport operator, provide relief areas for service animals that accompany passengers with a disability who are departing, arriving, or connecting at an airport on your flights,” the manual states.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of the Department of Homeland Security prohibits many items from being carried onto airplanes, including sporting goods, liquids over 3 ounces, and snow globes. The TSA has faced criticism after several incidents involving its treatment of the mentally disabled.

In June 2011, for example, at Detroit’s McNamera Terminal, the TSA confiscated a 6-inch plastic toy hammer from Drew Mandy, a severely mentally handicapped man who carried the toy for security. Mandy, who is 29-years old but has the mental capacity of a 2-year-old, was subject to a thorough pat down by TSA agents, who then threw away the toy after they considered it to be a weapon.

From: CSN News
By: Elizabeth Hamington

Read More: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-airlines-must...

• Titanium X 2012/07/10 23:28:38
    Other Thoughts!
    Titanium X
    +1
    Who will pick up the poo?
  • Stevern... Titanium X 2012/07/11 04:37:37
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    From what I heard.The airline must have helpers on the flight for feeding & cleanup.I don't envy the poor flight attendant that gets stuck with that job!
  • Catch224u 2012/07/10 23:21:08
    Other Thoughts!
    Catch224u
    +2
    What's wrong with the good ole retriever? Hey someone who needs a pig to help keep them emotionally stable, next flight please.
    This TSA proposal is nuts because....
    +1
    The airline, and only the airline, should have the right to decide who or what comes aboard its aircraft.

I've talked to a captain who would rather have pigs on his flights than most other service animals. But that should be *his* decision. Just remember that he's the guy who gets you from Point A to Point B in one piece.
  • Nimitz 2012/07/10 21:52:41
  • ConLibFraud 2012/07/10 20:42:28
    This TSA proposal is nuts because....
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    Because I have allergies to many animals. Love animals but that's the way the bacon cooks!
  • Cal 2012/07/10 20:18:42
    Other Thoughts!
    Cal
    +1
    This has nothing to do with the TSA. This is about disability groups going to far, like allowing mini ponies in restaurants.
  • Trish 2012/07/10 19:56:14
    Other Thoughts!
    Trish
    Pigs are actually some of the most intelligent and cleanest pets to have.
  • princess 2012/07/10 19:54:49
    This TSA proposal is nuts because....
    princess
    +2
    Hey, at least it's one way to keep Muslims off the planes.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/07/10 19:43:37
    Other Thoughts!
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    My first thought is that Muslims despise pigs and if there are Muslims on a flight where pigs are aboard, then they will complain and that'll take care of the pig problem! Banished!

However, if an animal is within guidelines applied to household pets, then I see no reason why they shouldn't travel. Just don't bring your 140 pound llama with you and sit next to me!
  • Always Right 2012/07/10 18:13:55
    Other Thoughts!
    Always Right
    +1
    Been flying with cows, hogs and jackasses already!
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/07/10 17:18:37
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    I'd rather sit next to an animal than most people on a flight.
  • Stevern... Beat Ma... 2012/07/10 18:42:42
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    I like to see you say that after the frighten & upset miniature horse you are placed next to diaper is fully loaded.And there is still another 90 minutes are left in the flight!
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/07/10 17:11:59
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +2
    Service Animals are people too!
  • Charles E 2012/07/10 16:54:14
    This TSA proposal is nuts because....
    Charles E
    +3
    First: what the heck do animals have to do with security?
    Second: there are more than enough people who are alergic, frightened of just repulsed by being in close proximity to some or all animals that none of them are "non-controversial".
    Third: they are called Passenger Planes for a reason.
    Put the livestock somewhere else.
  • whitewu... Charles E 2012/07/10 16:58:38
  • Stevern... Charles E 2012/07/10 18:58:03
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I'm thinking these new regulations are coming from some ADA NAZI's who were put into high positions by the Obama Administration.Who mindset is that all handicap people have special "rights" that supersede all logic and costs to implement these inane policies.

One example,There a new ADA Civil Rights Regulation that requires all public swimming pools to have permanently installed wheelchair lifts.Or face large civil fines & ADA Lawsuits.

http://yourdaddy.net/2012/03/...
  • Charles E Stevern... 2012/07/10 19:03:39
    Charles E
    +1
    I think you may have hit on the main problem.
  • frank 2012/07/10 16:25:38
    Other Thoughts!
    frank
    +2
    I think it might work out, if the pig were to be keep be to door prior to and during passenger boarding so that they will see that the pig will be flying with them thus forcing the Muslims from boarding the flight.
  • nverumind 2012/07/10 16:05:38
    Other Thoughts!
    nverumind
    +1
    I guess it doesnt really bother me , because how often are you on a plane and how many times out of those are you actually going to encounter this ??
  • Charge 2012/07/10 16:03:06
    Other Thoughts!
    Charge
    +6
    This should be interesting....
    animals plane

animals plane

animals in plane

animals in plane

animals in plane
  • whitewu... Charge 2012/07/10 16:51:37
  • john Kills 2012/07/10 15:55:01
    Other Thoughts!
    john Kills
    +3
    I don't agree with the existence of the TSA or any other program or persons who violate my fourth amendment rights. Defund homeland security by voting for Paul or Johnson.
  • Marek 2012/07/10 15:47:43 (edited)
    Marek
    +4
    Prefereable to have a pig on board then Mohammed Atta.
  • dominic garcia 2012/07/10 15:15:35
    This TSA proposal is nuts because....
    dominic garcia
    +6
    It would be opening a can of worms! People would start taking advantage for sure!
  • Charles E dominic... 2012/07/10 17:25:57
    Charles E
    +2
    How about a miniture hippopotimus? Or a full size one?

If someone can call a horse a comfort animal and fly it for a small fraction of freight charges it will be abused.
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/10 15:08:12
    Other Thoughts!
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    At first I was going to rant and rave about this but the thought just occured to me that this is probably an excellent idea. Muslims hate pigs and if we all start bringing our pigs on these plane, the muslims will flee. Won't they? I mean imagine them trying to fly planes full of pigs into a building. They would all die in one big BBQ. How would they explain that one to allah?

Ah well.... once the TSA figures out that this is not a good thing for the terrorists, they will figure out a way to ban the pigs and appease the terrorists.
    pig bbq
  • whitewu... Bill ~P... 2012/07/10 17:02:09
  • Charles E Bill ~P... 2012/07/10 17:28:43
    Charles E
    +1
    I have seen pigs live on the farm. And smelled them. Keep them off pasenger flights.
    If people are too scared to fly without their (any) "comfort animal", get off the plane.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/07/10 14:56:42
  • Space Invader 2012/07/10 14:54:10
    This TSA proposal is nuts because....
    Space Invader
    +6
    thank the good Lord I don't ever fly....
  • Risk 2012/07/10 14:36:01
    This TSA proposal is nuts because....
    Risk
  • DemonChild Risk 2012/07/10 15:46:56
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/07/10 14:08:49
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    ...but they don't have to stay in the main cabin with passengers. It should be up to the airlines, not the government and it should be up to passengers to select which flights/airlines they will choose. The airlines have enough problems. some self-inflicted, they don't need government meddling in their business.
  • Charles E FeedFwd... 2012/07/10 17:30:28
    Charles E
    +2
    Put the animals and their chicken hearted owners both in the cargo hold, away from people.
  • maggiemay 2012/07/10 13:53:51
    Other Thoughts!
    maggiemay
    I use to fly with my dog as carry on. I stopped when they started charging me as much as a seat to shove her under a seat. If I'm paying for another seat she should have been allowed to travel in a seat.
    I see nothing wrong with traveling with any pet, and it's against the law to not allow service pets to travel with their owners.
  • FeedFwd... maggiemay 2012/07/10 14:11:54
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    Just because you love your pet, doesn't make it a service animal. And if you are afraid of flying, bringing along a pet is hardly a valid equivalent to a service animal for the blind, for example.
  • maggiemay FeedFwd... 2012/07/10 16:08:25
    maggiemay
    +1
    I fly all the time as did my dog. She has been all over the country with me, and has never been a problem. No one even knows she is on the plane. She is in a carrier under the seat. When they started charging me $175.00 to bring her as carry on I stopped taking her. It is insulting to charge you as much as a seat for a carry on when people carry on all sorts of things with out paying the outlandish charges they do for you bring your pet.
    If the animal has been deemed a service animal then they have to allow them on board. All pets have to have a health certificate before they are even allowed to fly. Pets who fly are better taken care of then the pet living in your backyard. The law is the law,and it doesn't matter if it's a dog,horse, or pig if it's deemed a service animal they have to allow it.
  • FeedFwd... maggiemay 2012/07/10 16:45:22
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    Not disagreeing with you. I don't have a dog in that hunt. (pun intended) Mine stay home when I fly. If I want to take them on a trip, I drive. And there is a big difference from a toy dog in a carrier under the seat and a large animal like a slobbering Great Dane or a horse. For one of them, they may have to remove a row of seats and the person wanting to travel with them should pay for that.
  • Charles E maggiemay 2012/07/10 17:32:29
    Charles E
    Stupid law. One person wants a dog for "comfort". Another person is terrified of dogs.
    Who wins? I say it should be the human. I know PETA and the EPA disagree.

2014/10/25 03:37:03