Are You More Likely or Less Likely to Support Concealed Carry Laws in Your State?

Daryl 2012/07/20 19:01:43
Related Topics: Concealed Carry

Are you more likely or less likely to support Concealed Carry Laws in your state?

Read More: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_rec...

• Daryl 2012/07/20 19:03:32
    I am MORE likely to support Concealed Carry Laws in my state
    Daryl
    +43
    Self-defense is a God given right.

I blame ONLY the shooter in Colorado. Not Rush Limbaugh, not Barack Obama and not dreamed-up ties to the Tea Party.

I find it notable to mention Colorado is the only state in the rockies where I CANNOT legally carry nor can ANY non-resident.

http://www.usacarry.com/conce...

• GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/25 20:54:15
    GLaDOS
    You brought up the economy, so of course I asked about it!

Your comment: "Okay! Well the crime rate has gone down under Obama because the unemployment rate has decreased. No surprise there. There isn't only one catalyst, though. It's a combination of things one of which is lack of gun control."

Trying to diverge from the fact that I was right regarding the crime rate, you try to bring up the unemployment rate (thus the economy), and Obama. Why doesn't that surprise me?
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/25 21:52:01
    Ozymandias
    I'm putting all the facts together. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/26 00:58:33 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +1
    I'm putting no words in your mouth except the ones you said.

Me: The violent crime rate in the EU-27 is higher than in the United States.
    You: No it's not!
    Me: Here is proof.
    You: See! It's true! Europe's crime rate is lower!
    Me: No, it's not. Reread, you dumbass.
    You: I'm talking per capita!
    Me: Alright, here's the math to determine "per capita," you're still wrong, and here's proof.
    You: You're cherry-picking!
    Me: Here's more proof.
    You: Well... well... of COURSE it's down in America! (inadvertently admitting that I was correct, enter subject change #1) Obama's president and took unemployment down, and so that's why there's less violent crime, here.
    Me: Unemployment isn't necessarily down, because the statistics aren't complete. How many people are actually represented when they state those numbers?
    You: I don't know, (enter subject change #2) but here's an anti-gun picture!
    Me: This is the number that isn't represented. Oh, and here are some things that prove guns help, too.
    You: Well... well, unemployment isn't higher because of the mean business owners! Obama can't make them hire!
    Me: D'uh, but you're the one who brought up the economy.
    You: Well, unemployment has gone down, but not as far as we want because of what I said.
    Me: You don't know that, because only X number of people ar...

You: No it's not!
    Me: Here is proof.
    Me: No, it's not. Reread, you dumbass.
    You: I'm talking per capita!
    You: You're cherry-picking!
    Me: Here's more proof.
    Me: You don't know that, because only X number of people are counted, this, much larger, number is how many people aren't represented.

...and so on... This is, of course, paraphrasing.
  • diarslade GLaDOS 2012/07/26 01:06:36
    diarslade
    I loled
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/26 03:03:13
    Ozymandias
    I said it was down in the United States, but it's still lower in the European Union. Obviously, this conversation isn't going anywhere because you won't listen. I'm done! The last word is all yours. Cheers!
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/26 14:01:19 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Yes, you admitted it was down, after I pointed out that it was lower than the EU-27, which is what you argued against, and provided several points of reference for proof.

Violent crime has actually been going down for five years, now. It had spiked up after '04, but it's been going down since '06.

But, either way, have a good day.
  • diarslade Ozymandias 2012/07/25 20:58:24
    diarslade
    The irony of bringing up Obama as a defense for gun control is that he is anti-gun control. He's said on many occasions that he believes it is the right of every American to carry a hand gun.
  • Ozymandias diarslade 2012/07/25 21:52:59
    Ozymandias
    I don't believe that myself. He's certainly not in favor of gun control the way Clinton was. Either that, or he's got his hands tied with bigger things like unemployment and two wars.
  • diarslade Ozymandias 2012/07/26 00:48:32
    diarslade
    1 war now, and no...he has said it. There are videos of him actually saying it. Unless you think that the video was faked.
  • Ozymandias diarslade 2012/07/26 03:03:54
    Ozymandias
    If you say so. I'm through with this thread because I've got better things to do with my time.
  • nbarton2 Ozymandias 2012/07/23 01:36:27
    nbarton2
    Per Capita they do not, Britain was the most violent country in Europe in 2009 with the strictest gun laws and Germany as well has strict gun laws and still tops with the most violent crimes. The most violent and the most gun related crimes are committed in states with the strictest gun laws, NYC has strict gun laws and yet has more gun crimes than the remainder of the state, CA, strict gun laws yet there gun crimes are more than the whole Western division, while people will say per capita CA has a low amount compared to other states, when you look at where those crimes occur, Oakland, LA, Compton and the population of those areas the gun crime is significant.
  • Ozymandias nbarton2 2012/07/23 03:45:22
    Ozymandias
    Yes, and many of the assailants also purchased their firearms in states where there are lackadaisical gun laws. I heard about a guy in Chicago that was selling guns out on the street to drug dealers and gang bangers that he was buying in Kentucky for half price.
  • nbarton2 Ozymandias 2012/07/25 03:04:44
    nbarton2
    Not true
  • Ozymandias nbarton2 2012/07/25 03:07:45
    Ozymandias
    Very true. We need NATIONAL gun control laws not state laws because then these criminals will just surreptitiously get their guns in other states.
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/22 20:03:07 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Since when do bulletproof vests cover the throat outside of ones supplied to the military/police forces?

The gun laws are already strict. Additionally, kevlar can be cut, but that isn't what I would aim for as it would be relatively futile, and takes far too long. I would aim for the carotid, and since you seem to not know where, exactly, that is...
    gun laws strict additionally kevlar cut aim futile aim carotid

It would take less than a minute to die from that, approximately.
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/22 20:11:18
    Ozymandias
    +1
    Well ideally, but what makes you'd think you'd get close enough to do it if he's packing and shooting unless you're a Navy SEAL?
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/22 20:26:45 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Well, it was loud, there was gas, it was dark, and people were panicking. Provided I wasn't one of the first shot, the rounds fired would give me a clue as to where he was. I mean, since he shot someone who was down on the ground, he obviously looked down at times.

Someone who wasn't suffering from the "flight" or "freeze" part of the adrenaline response, probably would have had a chance. As I have a very active hyperarousal, as in, I go into 'fight or flight' quite often, as my brain perceives confrontations as active threats, even verbal ones, I have become accustomed to it, and know how to function while it happens. Contrary to my sex, though, I will usually respond with fight, first, even to my own detriment.

One doesn't need to be a SEAL, or a ninja of some sort to do something like that, just know what they're doing.
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/22 20:47:55
    Ozymandias
    +1
    The point is the guy had several guns, and nobody stood a chance against him.
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/22 21:02:02
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Like I said, I probably would've died. But, if I was successful, he would have as well, within a minute, and it may have saved other lives.
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/23 03:45:34
    Ozymandias
    What are you a samurai?
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/23 04:33:01
    GLaDOS
    Does desiring to protect others, potentially at the sacrifice of my own life necessitate being a samurai?
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/23 05:45:04
    Ozymandias
    No, but you speak as if you're a martyr willing to die for some cause just to stroke your ego. Would you sacrifice yourself if they knew they were all bleeding-hearted liberals that are pro-choice and in favor of gun control?
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/24 04:21:15
    GLaDOS
    +1
    People are people, children are children. I believe that it is right to sacrifice myself for something I believe in, or to save others. I'm not a martyr, I consider myself simply someone who would do the right thing. If that's difficult for someone like you to understand, then believe what you will, and give up trying to make sense of it.
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/24 05:57:52
    Ozymandias
    I know what sacrifices are, and I'm not afraid of guns. Did I tell you that I'm a U.S. Coast Guard veteran who served during the Iraq War and 9/11?
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/24 18:11:15
    GLaDOS
    No, and quite frankly, if you were, and you have a difficult time understanding why someone would give their life for someone else, or something they believe in, then you were in the wrong line of work. Was it for the school tuition?

You don't have to be in the military or a civil servant to be willing to give your life up to protect or save others. Just a decent person with a spine and a strong sense of right and wrong.
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/24 18:13:48
    Ozymandias
    It was to try something new, and to serve my country. As much as a shock as this might come to you, I'm also a patriot. I'm not a jingoist, though. If I were to do it for school tuition, I'd have gone into the national guard or been in the reserves rather than on active duty.
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/24 18:49:29
    GLaDOS
    It is a shock, as you seem to believe that one must be a martyr or samurai to be willing to give up one's life.
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/24 19:08:42
    Ozymandias
    I asked you if you were a martyr or a samurai. Have you ever served in the military? Or were you at home sitting on your ass watching it on FOX News during the Iraq War?
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/24 20:01:53
    GLaDOS
    +1
    1. I'm female
    2. I have a serious issue with authority that would get me dishonorably discharged, among other issues. I know, both of my parents were Drill Sergeants in the ARMY. I know that being dishonorably discharged is one of the worst things to have on an employment history, so I'm not going there.
    3. I'm 31, now, so even if I wanted to go in, they wouldn't have me unless I was a nurse, and by the time I became a nurse, I'd be too old even for that.
    4. And, finally, the big kicker, I have extremely severe ADHD, and Bipolar, which is automatically disqualifying. ADHD is one of the hardest things to get a waiver for, and Bipolarity is a total disqualification with no waiver.

Have I stepped in when people were in trouble? Yes. When there was the possibility for me to be hurt? Certainly. I apologize that I'm just not that sound of mind and body to be recognized by the government for it.

Well, there's always superhero work.

As I said two responses ago,"You don't have to be in the military or a civil servant to be willing to give your life up to protect or save others. Just a decent person with a spine and a strong sense of right and wrong."
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/24 20:08:49
    Ozymandias
    I'm only two years older than you; I have Asperger's Syndrome; I have a problem with authority, too, but I still managed to do it.
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/24 22:49:30 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Were you diagnosed while actually serving, or were you diagnosed beforehand? Did you enlist before, or after, you were, we'll say 27? since you were Coast Guard, and that's the highest they allow for Active Duty without a waiver, I'm pretty sure.

Also, to make this a bit more fair, are you a single parent?

As for the Bipolar Disorder and ADHD thing...

2-27. Learning, psychiatric and behavioral disorders
    a. Attention Devidit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (314), or Perceptual/Learning Disorder(s) (315) does not meet the standard, unless applicant can demonstrate passing academic performance and there has been no use of medication(s) in the previous 12 months.
    b. Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects (315) secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment, do not meet the standard. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/or work accomodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be disqualified.
    c. Current or history of disorders with psychotic features such as schizophrenia (295), paranoid disorder (297), and other unspecified psychosis (298) does not meet the standard.
    d. ...

d. Current mood disorders including, but not limited to, major depression (296.2-3), bipolar (296.4-7), affective psychoses (296.8-9), depressive not otherwise specified (311), do not meet the standard.
    (1) History of mood disorders requiring outpatient care for longer than 6 months by a physician or other mental health professional (v65.40), or inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility does not meet the standard.
    (2) History of symptoms...

well, yadda yadda yadda. Sufficed to say, according to several parts of 2-27, I am simply unfit, and, as it says, I do "not meet the standard."
  • Ozymandias GLaDOS 2012/07/24 23:19:18
    Ozymandias
    I was diagnosed three years prior to joining.
  • GLaDOS Ozymandias 2012/07/24 23:50:36 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    And how old were you when you joined? Forgot that part. You also forgot the part about being a single parent, or not.

As for the Aspergers, so what? You're clumsy? You talk funny? You have limited empathy? You're socially inept? What? I don't see why any of those, except maybe the clumsiness, would disqualify you from being in the military.

Whereas Bipolar Disorder, for a week, or a few days, I might be surviving on less than an hour of sleep, have tons of energy and an extremely short fuse, mania, possibly paranoia, delusions, and/or hallucinations (at the extreme) and then the next day, or week, I can't have enough sleep, sleeping for 12 (or more) hours a day, being listless, and, overall, useless, possibly suicidal.

With my impulsive, severe, ADHD, I tend to disturb people by sharing the morbid thoughts that go on in my head. And, well, impulsiveness is rarely good when you might be handling guns.

I also had Oppositional Defiance Disorder, which you, supposedly, grow out of, but I have a suspicion that I haven't.
  • nbarton2 Ozymandias 2012/07/23 01:41:47
    nbarton2
    Nobody? That is a very definitive statement that can't very well be quantified.
  • Ozymandias nbarton2 2012/07/23 03:45:52
    Ozymandias
    Did anyone intervene? I think not.
  • diarslade Ozymandias 2012/07/22 20:27:03
    diarslade
    +3
    Let me ask you a better one. Just because your chances might be low, does that mean you should do nothing?
  • Ozymandias diarslade 2012/07/22 20:48:18
    Ozymandias
    Absolutely not. That's why I'm more inclined to petition for stricter gun laws.
  • diarslade Ozymandias 2012/07/22 20:57:04
    diarslade
    +2
    Even in the UK where gun laws are the strictest in the world, they still have more gun related crime than the Swiss who have some of the laxest gun control laws. So why petition for even stricter gun laws when they're are real life examples that prove strict gun laws don't necessarily keep people safer?
  • Ozymandias diarslade 2012/07/23 03:46:36
    Ozymandias
    Well sure! Even in Japan, they've had gun-related crimes. No system is perfect. I bet you a dollar to a doughnut they have lower crime rates meaning per capita than the U.S.
  • jimrthy... Ozymandias 2012/07/22 21:14:08
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    It beats cowering under the seats and hoping you don't get noticed. Or packing into the crowd rushing for the exit. How many of the "injured" were actually injured by the stampede of their fellow audience members?

2014/07/30 22:30:42