Are You Insulted When Identified as a Group and Pandered to in a Condescending Manner?

jr 2012/04/07 17:10:51
Other
As a white male commonly used as a straw man for all of America's ills, are never pandered to in any manner. Groups like minorities, blacks, Soccer moms, Hockey moms, and women in general are often singled out and courted by politicians of all persuasions. But for politicians, it appears to be quite the difficult task to do it in a manner that is not pandering and/or patronizing.

Read More @ Hot Air
it takes real nerve to insist that "women are not some monolithic group, women are not an interest group" at an event entitled "The White House Forum in Women and the Economy".

There are voters in every demographic group who enjoy being reduced to an "identity" and then patronized for it.

Even ABC, in a straight-up news report on the event, couldn't refrain from wincing:

war on women

Patronize:
to behave in an offensively condescending manner

Pander:
a person who caters to or profits from weaknesses or vices of others

Read More: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/04/06/pander-moniu...

• mustangluver 2012/05/27 04:34:10
    Other
    mustangluver
    I don't like when ppl make assumptions that i belong to a certain group. I don't join groups..have never joined a group here on SH either..i'm not a joiner and i don't want to be pigeonholed..
  • bluejacket 2012/05/26 21:31:35
    bluejacket
    It's just another typical form of distraction from the left to draw attention from the failed policies of this administration. It doesn't bother me, and I no longer waste my time talking to the brain dead.
  • toobored54 2012/04/12 14:46:05
    toobored54
    Ya, I'm in a group called "Americans", and I'm getting a load of abuse from the White house!
  • Murph 65 2012/04/09 01:15:27
    Murph 65
    Am beyond sick of the "war against women." What a complete crock. How about the powers that be patronize and pander to all of us...you know, all Americans, the whole damn group. Enough already with singling out groups. WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER PEOPLE, like it or not. What affects one affects all, or, what affects one, effects us all. Either way, we are all us not me and you or we and them.
  • Pug For Huck 2012/04/08 22:25:46
    Other
    Pug For Huck
    I actually have to laugh at the extremism of the whole mindset. These folks group folks together to try and lend numbers to their just plain crazy theories that they can focus their own hate to. It's especially hilarious when someone pops up an insane theory and suddenly there are gaggles of left wing puds who jump on the bandwagon and they have no idea what it is they're actually saying. They just look so ridiculous.
  • Joe C Sr 2012/04/08 21:38:56
    Joe C Sr
    Can 66% be wrong on this question? I doubt it.No one likes to be pandered to.
  • bettyboop 2012/04/08 12:26:47
    bettyboop
    +1
    I am me, one of a kind. I do not like being lumped into a group or called names. There are many who assume much without even getting to know a person. I am not an Obama supporter period!
  • Murph 65 bettyboop 2012/04/09 01:17:02
    Murph 65
    +1
    I'm with you. How about we get the jerks in DC to think of us as one people, you know, Americans, and legislate accordingly.
  • bettyboop Murph 65 2012/04/09 11:42:16
    bettyboop
    +1
    I do not think that is gonna happen, not with those who are in office right now. We need everyday working men and women who know the value of a dollar and who have worked by the sweat of their brow. Those in office right now have a cushy life, they do not identify with me, nor I with them.
  • Murph 65 bettyboop 2012/04/09 21:25:04
    Murph 65
    +1
    Because they're basically lawyers and politicians - public service all the way, no "real world" experience. So we had better get it across to them that they are to come to DC, do a couple of "tours" and head back home, because they sure aren't going to vote themselves term limits.
  • ed 2012/04/08 11:30:43
    ed
    that's something I don't let bother me in any way.
  • Uranos7 2012/04/08 06:58:04
    Uranos7
    +1
    First off white male is a lump in itself because many black people will automatically assume your a racist; especially if you are from below the mason dixon line.
    Then if I say i am a republican, they automatically assume I am a pro-life tea party nut.
    If I tell a republican I am not for overturning Roe vs Wade and outlawing abortion, I am a liberal baby killer.
    If i support the second amendment, I am a gun nut. But when i say some gun control is needed to keep them out of the hands of crazy or people not smart enough to pass a drivers test, then I am a liberal out to destroy the Right to bear arms. and etc.

IOW it's tuff being a moderate in a world of extremist.
  • Prairie Wind 2012/04/08 04:18:37 (edited)
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    I choose whether or not I wish to feel insulted, not when someone else presumes they are doing so. My feelings are mine, not others.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/04/08 02:38:38
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +5
    If women really are supporting Obama because of free contraception I think they have set women back 200 years! Women can't really be that stupid, can they?
  • ed Gracie ... 2012/04/08 11:28:50
    ed
    +2
    some maybe are that stupid ,I myself hope they are not.
  • Gracie ... ed 2012/04/08 15:36:28
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I know, right? I see so many Conservative women on here and then I guess there are the rest....the ones who don't have a clue and only want free stuff. It's very disheartening that they'd sell out for such a low price.
  • ed Gracie ... 2012/04/08 23:53:33
    ed
    +1
    I agree to bad they can't smell the coffee.
  • cheshirewayne 2012/04/08 01:35:58
    cheshirewayne
    +3
    Tired of the democrat elitist tell me that I'm an elitist for want to keep what I've worked for.
  • texasred 2012/04/08 00:36:42
    texasred
    +4
    Except as a member of the Tea Party. I love having the left vilify us when everyone knows they're just scared!!
  • Fingon Celebrindal 2012/04/07 23:09:06
    Other
    Fingon Celebrindal
    +1
    Don't know never happened to me.
  • Angi 2012/04/07 22:26:23 (edited)
    Angi
    Women are people and people are all different. Why when anything goes wrong with society the blame is first aimed at so called immoral women and bad Mothers.
    +2
    YES .. I am ..
    Especially as a Woman .. a Military Retiree .. and someone who is now Blind ..
    I do NOT enjoy the 'lumping' .. the 'blocks' that certain ones heavy on the 'prejudging' make (this includes certain notorious members of the /body politic/ (including their sponsors .. err .. donors) .. and their Advert Agencies (the msm)).
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/04/07 22:17:11
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +4
    LMAO!! I just answered a comment from a liberal who has me boxed up and packaged and then I came here. So timely.

Sometimes I say things and I KNOW that my reference was too broad, but I do try to be fair to all sides. So yes, I do feel insulted when someone has me all figured out because they read a sentence or two from me and consider my a CONSERVATIVE of all things! From that, they know my parentage, my IQ, my education, my age, height etc! It's amazing!!
  • goatman112003 2012/04/07 22:11:35
    goatman112003
    +2
    I watched it happen and it seems the group doesn't realize they are being talked down to. It always amazes me.
  • Bozette 2012/04/07 22:06:11
    Other
    Bozette
    +2
    People may choose to believe whatever they want about me, they have just as much right to show their ignorance as anyone else.
  • EDWARD G 2012/04/07 21:41:32
    EDWARD G
    +1
    I usually find it entertaining and I'll play along for a while.
  • sammanilla 2012/04/07 20:23:00
    +6
    Though just long enough to recognize that the other guy (or gal) is just throwing off on me. (S)he's the one doing the group-label thing, not I.
  • Murph 2012/04/07 19:43:29 (edited)
    Murph
    +2
    Not so much. Every commercial on TV or radio, and every add on every billboard is aimed at some "group", some are just bigger than others. The most obvious panderers serve in public office, and why would I let myself feel insulted by the sleaze-ball, low-life, bottom feeders we have running this country.
  • Rebel [SHP] 2012/04/07 19:39:12
    Other
    Rebel [SHP]
    +4
    I find anyone who does such as ignorant. It's their problem, not mine, so why would I get all offended by their ignorance?
  • Wayne 2012/04/07 19:32:16
    Wayne
    +5
    No, it does not bother me at all. I consider the source. If the descending comment is directed to me personally I may just fling it back to them.
  • RG 2012/04/07 19:11:17
    Other
    RG
    +5
    OLIAR is at it again - telling some group that he knows what's best for them, when in fact, he doesn't give an owl's hoot about anybody but himself--anything for adulation and vote gathering. obama hooting obama hooting obama hooting
  • Elleryqueen 2012/04/07 18:39:33
    Elleryqueen
    +7
    I am a senior, but also a individual. Do not like to grouped as "Gray Panther" or whatever. Have a mind of my own to make my own decisions. Besides, the government can't even run itself, how in the hell does it intend to run our lives. Government couldn't even keep a whore house afloat.
  • Murph Elleryq... 2012/04/07 19:46:05
    Murph
    +4
    You're right. A whore house in Nevada was confiscated by the IRS for back taxes and the Federal Government ran it into bankruptcy.
  • Theresa 2012/04/07 18:22:13
    Theresa
    +7
    I am an INDIVIDUAL! I deserve respect! I am not part of any group! I am Unique!
  • Tinka123 2012/04/07 18:09:14
    Other
    Tinka123
    +7
    What I find most insulting is that rather than fulfilling their legitimate obligations--like drafting a budget--our representatives attempt to whip up anger amongst the citizens and over total non-issues that are really none of their business to begin with.

They can't even fulfill their most basic job requirements and yet reps, in both parties, want to oversee my decisions. lol
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/04/07 18:04:27
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +7
    You're a woman, so you must want this, this, and this.
    You're black, so you must want this, this, and this.
    You're gay, so you must want this, this and this.

Need I go on?
  • dominic garcia 2012/04/07 18:02:51
    dominic garcia
    +4
    Not at all..... my faith has helped me to be forgiving, people who go around hating other people are only hurting themselves. I pray for people like this.
  • Theresa dominic... 2012/04/07 18:23:46
    Theresa
    +5
    Question does your faith believe in Individual Salvation or Group Salvation?
  • dominic... Theresa 2012/04/07 18:44:37
    dominic garcia
    +4
    Individual salvation......because Jesus never spoke about group salvation. He has his believers scattered throughout the different Christian denominations.

2014/07/26 17:21:30