Are you happy Santorum is surging?

EdWhiteSpace 2012/02/22 16:24:52
Me? I consider myself a moderate. I'd like a smaller, less intrusive government that spends less and stays out of social issues as much as possible. As a fiscal conservative, I think that a smaller government would bring about less taxation, allowing people and companies that earned the money to spend it as they see fit instead of the government spending it as they see fit. Preferring a smaller government, I am socially liberal that believes people should make the decisions that will affect them instead of the government, as they know best what their personal situation is. I respect religion, but want government out of religion and I want religion out of government.

I supported Bush over Gore and over Kerry not because I liked Bush, but because Gore and Kerry were fringe candidates that appealed to the extreme wing of the Dem party. I supported Obama (first time ever for a Democratic President) over McCain / Palin because of Palin's joining McCain's team. I didn't like Obama, but thought it very important to keep a social conservative religious agenda out of the White House.

This election, I had high(er) hopes. The biggest issue we face is the economy and we had a candidate (Romney) that was a proven success in business, understands the economy and what businesses need to grow. He had been a popular and successful governor in a state overrun by Dems with a Democratic legislature and could work with both parties. He didn't take a salary while doing it, but did it to make necessary changes and get experience. He was asked to step in and save the Olympics when it was a mess, and proved leadership when he did so. A great family showed he had morals and understood commitment. While not everyone's cup of tea as he would be too liberal for some, too conservative for others, he seemed to be the right man for the right job, a good balance between the two sides, coming along at the right time.

Unfortunately, while he was acceptable to the Republicans, he polled best among the middle. Independents, Centrists, and moderates. Without a party representing that group he has had to try to win over the GOP. DOing so, he has moved further right in order to take votes from the social conservative candidates, but that costs him votes from the middle that will go back to Obama. Now weakened, we have seen the far right turn their back on him and support Santorum.

My belief is that while Santorum may be able to get the GOP nomination by getting 55% of that party's support, he will do horribly in the General election. That 55% of 1/2 the country translates into 28% of the US as a whole. Sure, he'll get more anti-Obama votes and more of the GOP, but will be unable to get Dems, Republican moderates, and most Independents / Centrists that do not want a religiously based social agenda.

That will leave us in November choosing from 1) a Democrat President in over his head that has proven he will get us deeper into debt and does not know how to correct this economy or what businesses need to grow, or, 2) a social conservative Republican nominee that has flip flopped on many issues, is not fiscally conservative, and couldn't even get reelected in his home state by those that knew him best. Basically, the two candidates that appeal to the two fringes.

Meanwhile, based on registered numbers, Democrats represent 35% of the country and Republicans about 30%. That leaves 35% in the middle unrepresented. Romney, that best represents that 35% and could pull from both other groups as well, will likely be watching from the sidelines.

So, back to the question:
Are you happy Santorum is pulling ahead of Romney and showing momentum?

• Fannie 2012/02/22 16:48:35
    Yes, I am an Obama fan and look forward to it being Obama vs Santorum.
    Fannie
    +3
    And can't wait for Rick the Dick to lose.

• American☆Atheist 2012/02/22 18:20:12
    American☆Atheist
    Obama wins easy.
  • EdWhite... America... 2012/02/22 20:14:47
    EdWhiteSpace
    Do you think he'll win easy no matter who he faces? Do you think it would be tougher with Romney or Santorum?
  • America... EdWhite... 2012/02/23 01:16:21
    American☆Atheist
    Mitt. Then again if rick is in they have the dugger vote and every fundie will go and vote.
  • bob 2012/02/22 16:59:56
    bob
    It would be nice to have the right wing Republican versus the center of the country. Romney can't be pinned down weather he is left or about the same as Obama. I can't believe the conservatives have choosen Liberal Romney over the others that better represent the conservatives. I guess Republicans can't see past the money put at Romney feet to see that Romney's actual political actions has been more liberal than Obama. Now the Republicans can throw a no holds bare fisted fight season... And I'll be sad to see it end.
  • EdWhite... bob 2012/02/22 17:58:27
    EdWhiteSpace
    Romney's support comes from Fiscal Conservatives. Santorum's come from Social Conservatives. While occasionally they overlap, it frequently is not a one size fits all answer. To me, smaller gov. means one that spends less and is less intrusive socially. That equates to fiscal conservative and social liberal / moderate. Personally, I don't know how a person can support a larger and more intrusive socially conservative gov. and then say they are are a fiscal conservative. They usually aren't, but simply want that large gov. to push their agenda instead of a liberal one. Romney's fiscal policies are conservative and pro-business. His social policies, when gov., were very 'State's Rights' and right leaning moderate, despite many things pushed through by a liberal Dem state congress.
  • carolynb 2012/02/22 16:57:09
    carolynb
    +1
    I am happy to hear you wouldnt vote for Santorum. He wants to impose his religous views on the rest of us, and he is not going to protect women which is very obvious from his statements. Romney is a business man who cut jobs so companies could make money. Sorry, but that is not what we need. Obama will win easily in 2012.
  • Faith ~... carolynb 2012/02/22 17:07:58
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Which comments are you referring to in regards to not protecting women?
  • carolynb Faith ~... 2012/02/22 17:15:53
    carolynb
    Santorum believes in outlawing contraceptives. He believes that everyone should have a 50 children, I guess.
  • Faith ~... carolynb 2012/02/22 17:32:57
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Do you have anything backing that up? Or are you just repeating what you have been told?
  • carolynb Faith ~... 2012/02/22 17:36:37
    carolynb
    +1
    http://campaign2012.washingto...
    If you dont believe this article, look it up. He said it alright.
  • Faith ~... carolynb 2012/02/22 21:27:58
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Nothing in that article says a thing about contraceptives, or his belief on people having "50" children. It has nothing to do with believing the article, your claims aren't even mentioned.
  • EdWhite... carolynb 2012/02/22 18:00:00
    EdWhiteSpace
    Romney cut some jobs to save failing companies, but his investments were primarily to let companies grow larger and employ many, many more people. That is what we need right now. I can't support Santorum's religious based agenda at all.
  • carolynb EdWhite... 2012/02/22 18:00:42
    carolynb
    Romney is not human. He is a robot.
  • EdWhite... carolynb 2012/02/22 18:06:32
    EdWhiteSpace
    Actually, I agree he is being far too measured and controlled in this race. He tries not to act emotionally and knows everything he says is dissected by the left and right so he's very careful and that isn't coming across well. But while I don't know him, people on both sides and from both parties say he is very entertaining, bright, and personable in 'real' life and was very popular in Mass. as a Governor.
  • carolynb EdWhite... 2012/02/22 18:11:51
    carolynb
    How come he only got 4 years, and if he was popular, it was because he was liberal. He is so rich, he doesnt know how to deal with everyday people like you and me. He has no clue what it is like to live from paycheck to paycheck or struggle to make ends meet, whereas Obama has been there, done that. He just cant relate and for him to say poor people have the safety net is beyond belief
  • Fannie 2012/02/22 16:48:35
    Fannie
    +3
  • Reichstolz 2012/02/22 16:39:28
    Yes, I am a social conservative and happy Santorum will win the nomination.
    Reichstolz
    I really think it matters little who is the POTUS in the next 4 years. We have no political will in this nation to speak truthfully, or act boldly, so the outcome is inevitable regardless who is at the helm.
    If we were any other nation our bonds would be at junk status right now, our currency would be worth 1/4 what it is right now, and our societal disparities would be far more pronounced. We have papered over this abyss for the last time, the day of reckoning is near.

2014/10/23 06:00:00