Are you better off now than you were four years ago?

ABCnews.com 2012/09/03 19:00:00

• Kenny 2012/09/04 01:44:20
    Kenny
    +36
    My business has shrunk because people have less money to spend. Look around at all the retail businesses that are no longer in business. Our economy is in the toilet, everything costs much more, many people have lost their homes, health care has almost doubled in cost, and I could go on and on. We are in terrible shape with no relief in sight unless we make a large change soon.

• Bobby Dale 2014/06/29 19:42:46
    Bobby Dale
    A LITTLE BIT.
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/03 23:01:09
  • jeannine.emmett 2012/12/06 06:50:56
    jeannine.emmett
    +2
    every 4 years it get worse.
  • angrybear 2012/11/14 12:34:48
    angrybear
    Had a job, major health care, dental, optical,hearing care,good pay,nice home-all GONE
    because of Liberal DemocRATS and their push for BIG government.I was pd min. wage for awhile but now company closed,forced out by Obama's govt.Mark my words! Four years or less, those who voted for "O" will regret IT when we plunge over the financial cliff because there is no more money for FREE entitlements and less than 50% working to pay for these "freebies". BEWARE!!
    +1
    As someone who believes strongly in the concepts put forth by the founders of this wonderful country of limited government, personal freedom, and personal responsibility, I did all I could to try and inform others of the failings of the current administration.

I really do understand that the demographics are changing and people are being educated in a manner much different than I was and now look at government in a much different light than I do. They want government to take care of their every need and are willing to fore-go the personal responsibility and freedom that I cherish.

I do understand that the People have spoken and the die is cast.

Now my personal efforts will be to try to protect me and my family from the resulting effects of this election. The most urgent one is the economy which I believe will now become a nightmare for most people of the country and the world. Companies will not be hiring workers, Investors will not be taking risks, Loans will not be made, Faith in our currency will drop here at home and abroad.

I am saddened by what the election of last night will bring to my beloved country.
  • Haole Mike 2012/11/28 13:41:16
    Haole
    +1
    Despite the date, I think "1984" should be back in our schools curriculum. I think that people that went to high school after that was no longer required reading, have a totally different perception of socialism and government conrol and intervention in our personal lives than those of us who read it and took the message to heart. I think most of the public school teachers out there need to be educated in this area as well.
  • Sidrah Zaheer 2012/11/04 21:52:29
    Sidrah Zaheer
    +1
    Frankly, I am better off now, but it has nothing to do with the economy, but my own personal life.
  • victor brooks 2012/11/01 10:27:02
    victor brooks
    +1
    nobody is talking about the mess we were in when bush was president.....i wonder why?? i believe the under lining reason is you want the WHITE HOUSE to stay WHITE! IF OBAMA WAS WHITE THEN THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM!!!look the man is doing very well he is our president not a god you blame bush not him......can you say oil???
  • Haole victor ... 2012/11/28 12:37:51
    Haole
    +1
    How is that an example of how you are doing better now than you were four years ago? YOU are the racist. if you think that a black man should be excused for doing such an inarguably terrible job then you must believe that black people aren't capable of doing the job of president, and should be excused from accountability because they are black. People don't hate the fact that he is black (frankly I don't know of anyone that is so rooted in the 1950s that they think skin color makes a difference. People hate him because he is a terrible president and is totally unable to do the job. If you are better of because of Barak Obama it is because you are recievibg government entitlement money. I have YET (despite several times asking the question) seen one single example of how this man has done anything that can be considered positive. He is doing an awful job and you excuse him because you believe that black people are somehow inferior to whites and need to be excused. RACIST!
  • Haole victor ... 2012/11/28 12:39:09
    Haole
    +1
    Because until the end we weren't in a mess.
  • Bill Johnson 2012/10/29 22:34:42
    Bill Johnson
    +3
    are you Kidding? Gas is Double....Unemployment is horrible........SS and Medicare are 4yrs closer to going broke.........Businesses can't operate or expand.......BILLIONS and BILLIONS are being Thrown Away on 'green energy' 'friends' of the administration....the country is approaching the Fiscal Cliff, in January because of oBozo.......Are You Kidding?
  • victor ... Bill Jo... 2012/11/15 14:42:44
    victor brooks
    Your stupid and racist!!! 4 more years jerk!
  • KoAm 2012/10/27 05:31:38 (edited)
    KoAm
    +3
    Personally, yes, my husband and I are better off now than 4 years ago. Financially and otherwise.

But the question isn't whether "you" are better off ... it's whether America on the whole is better off. The answer to that is a resounding NO.

Asking "are YOU better off" means that the person is supposed to make it all about him/herself. Yes, my husband and I are better off, but it's not about us.
  • Haole KoAm 2012/11/28 12:42:24
    Haole
    +1
    THANK YOU! SOMEONE can read and understand a simple question. I am glad you and your husband are better off and I also appreciate your candor in the response as it is obvious that you realize that it isn't because of the way this idiot has been bumbling around the White House for the last 4 years.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/10/26 22:31:34
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    I am far happier than I was four years ago.

I am at home with children, involved in their school and their daily lives. I am closer to my husband. I am out from under a house we were over 100k upside down on. I am slowly pulling myself out of debt. Despite one income we are on top of bills. Yes, we had to tighten our belts, but it has brought us closer together as a family.

I cook meals, we don't eat out because I feel too overwhelmed to cook. So we are all healthier... and our communication is better.
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/10/26 21:07:11
    timothy.hill.14
  • john 2012/10/26 21:01:41
    john
    +2
    definately better off than i was four years ago, but it has nothing to do with our govt....just doing the right thing at the right time..
  • Harley Squiggles the God \(... 2012/10/26 20:57:43
    Harley Squiggles the God \(#o#)/
    +2
    I was a complete dumbass four years ago.
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/10/26 20:35:33
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    Personally, we are, but that has nothing to do with things on the whole. The entire country. That is just our family and we are lucky.
  • Shanie The Alesana Panda 2012/10/26 20:17:55
    Shanie The Alesana Panda
    +2
    I've gotten worse :P
  • Dolly 2012/10/26 18:35:31
    Dolly
    +2
    I live in my own apartment and am free to date who I like even if he is someone I can't sanely live in the same house with ever.
  • Consertive 2012/10/24 21:04:24
    Consertive
    +1
    four years ago I was ready to retire. Now I can't
  • TrickyPre 2012/10/24 02:42:26
    TrickyPre
    +1
    Is anyone doing better besides Wall Street and the one percent
  • Jules 2012/10/21 05:21:22
    Jules
    +2
    Yes,I Think I Am, Because I Don't Have To Pay My Medicine The State Does, Because Of The Obama Care Now On The Other Hand If Mitt Romey Comes And Rule The White House And, He Does Not Tax The Wealth How On God's Green Earth Is The Economy Gonna Get Any Better Than It Is Right Now? I Think Obama Needs To Stay In The White House Because He Is Not Done With The Economy Not By A Long Shot People Of This America Need Give Him A Chance And Let Him Finish He's Job For Another Four Years, Because He Needs This Job, And So Do All The Other Americans And I Need A Job To.Mitt Rommey Does Not Care About Other People Except For The Wealthy And Himself.
  • Dixiesmom Jules 2012/11/05 15:01:47
    Dixiesmom
    +2
    So as long as we pay for you ,you will be happy and better off? Interesting. OK lets vote for Obama.LOL!!!! NOOOOOOO,lets find this person a job so she can be happy on her own dime like those of us who work and help pay for her happiness. This person is Obamas dream and the nightmare and demise of the middleclass in America.
  • Haole Jules 2012/11/28 12:56:18
    Haole
    +2
    cheer up he's almost done with it now. When we meet the fiscal cliff (which is undoubtedly going to happen) that will be one step in his "finishing" the economy. And it won't take four years for him to "finish". He still needs to devalue he dollar default on some more loans and lower our national credit rating, eventually (not too long) replace the US dollar as the standard by which world currency is based leaving us with no reasonable buffer preventing total catastrophic financial collapse, further impair the banks ability to turn a profit, sapping public optimism in the banks and eventually creating a run on the banks, let the 40 billion dollars a month in spurious funds that are being directly infused into the stock market (to bolster stock prices in lieu of sufficient jobs and production to spur an economic REVERSAL) to manifest in investment pessimism, spurring a run on the market and eventual total catastrophic economic collapse and VOILLA FINISHED!!!!! he's working on it he will be done with us sooner than you think.
  • SuckerPunch 2012/10/14 21:44:17
    SuckerPunch
    +2
    Real Clear Politics Electoral College Map 10/14/12

201: Obama
    191: Romney
    Toss Ups: 146

Toss Up's:
    Colorado (9)
    Florida (29)
    Iowa (6)
    Michigan (16)
    Nevada (6)
    New Hampshire (4)
    North Carolina (15)
    Ohio (18)
    Pennsylvania (20)
    Virginia (13)
    Wisconsin (10)

Ohio
    48.0
    46.3
    Obama +1.7

Florida
    46.3
    49.5
    Romney +3.2

Virginia
    48.0
    47.6
    Obama +0.4

Iowa
    48.6
    45.4
    Obama +3.2

Colorado
    47.0
    47.7
    Romney +0.7

...Yes, I am better off because I am an RN, and there is always opportunities for overtime... and I got divorced... So long, wife!!
  • Lilliana 2012/10/10 15:52:18
    Lilliana
    +1
    When I go to the super markets and the mall, I wonder how if the economy is that bad how these palces are so full of people making purchases. Peolpe are spending money. everyone I know is working and i keep sending hiring/employment information to my churchs employement specialist. Small business are loosing customers to big business like walmart or Target not because people do nothave have any moeny.
    i work in the medical field and I have seen the improvement in services to patients as well as happiness in peoples lives because they have health insurance they were not able to obtain in the past due to pre excisting conditions or because their employers were not offering insurance coerage. People who because of no insurance and high cost of insurance received no preventive medical attention and end up with life threathening health issues and huge hospital bills/debt. AND I certainly know many hard working people that received the help they needed to be able to save thier homes from foreclosures. So YES it has been a slow process and with the huge financial crisis, worst economy ever and no support from republican elected officials in congress, its a miracle Obama has been able to do such good for this country in such a a short time.
  • KoAm Lilliana 2012/10/27 05:36:19
    KoAm
    +1
    >>>i work in the medical field and I have seen the improvement in services to patients as well as happiness in peoples lives because they have health insurance >>>

Wait a second -- "Obamacare" hasn't kicked in yet. You, of all people (being that you're in the health field, or so you say) should know that.

Obama had a Democrat Congress in his first two years, during which his two big signature items -- "Obamacare" and the "stimulus" -- passed into law. So, how can you blame anything on "no support from Republicans in Congress"?

Are you really in the health field? Wouldn't want you taking care of me. Your grasp of reality seems a bit off, no offense.
  • germaine.poh.33 2012/10/08 09:26:15
    germaine.poh.33
    +2
    I am a foreigner and I cannot make any difference to the votes. All I want is to share these and let you have a good think about it..

foreigner difference votes share

foreigner difference votes share

So what are your thoughts?
  • pelengator germain... 2012/10/16 18:20:48 (edited)
    pelengator
    +1
    "So what are your thoughts?"

Bo was not eaten already ?
  • KoAm germain... 2012/10/27 05:37:28
    KoAm
    +1
    My thoughts are, I'm glad you're not eligible to vote.

If you were American and you were basing your vote on the "dog thing," then it would be a horribly misinformed vote.

Unfortunately, there probably really are Americans who are basing their votes on this nonsense.
  • DAVE-0 KoAm 2012/11/07 00:04:17
    DAVE-0
    that dog thing is a character issue.
  • Sunny germain... 2012/11/04 20:08:53
    Sunny
    +2
    Your thoughts definitely summarize the difference from one perspective... and their are MANY more. I feel pretty confident Bo will have the better options... and life ahead.
  • angrybear germain... 2012/11/14 12:46:44
    angrybear
    +2
    Research the facts before you are able to vote! Bo has a tax-payer funded jet of his own and a 24 hr handler.MORE waste by BOZO and the reason middle class America doesn't want him-Isn't 16 TRILLION enough spent in 4 years(wasted, down the hole).Michelle also wasted her millions-the O'Bummers could not spend money quick enough.Good Grief man!
  • roboto-pwcm-jla 2012/10/06 22:39:16
    roboto-pwcm-jla
    +3
    Despite Our bright young president, I am better off.
  • roboto-... roboto-... 2012/10/06 22:43:38
    roboto-pwcm-jla
    +1
    It's one of the benefits of living in one of the "rectangle" states
  • Mountainman 2012/10/06 08:56:23
    Mountainman
    +1
    I own a small business, and it is down 60% from last year,,,most of my customers blame little or no work on cut in spending.
  • ghostrider 2012/10/05 18:13:22
    ghostrider
    +1
    .... but not by very much.
  • jennifer1969 2012/10/02 23:23:12
    jennifer1969
    +2
    I guess I should say personally I am better off, but financially I am not.

2014/09/16 02:25:09