ARE YOU AWARE JUST HOW BAD THE HEAT IS IN THE EAST AND MID-WEST? Heat, power outages continue assault on East, Midwest

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/07/02 15:24:59
YES, It is so bad for people across the east and mid-west.
No, no big thing.

Around 2 million customers from North Carolina to New Jersey and as far west as Illinois were without power Monday morning. And utility officials said that for many the power would likely be out for several more days.

The heat wave that began last week was expected to drive temperatures into the 100s from Indianapolis to Atlanta through the Fourth of July holiday.
The culprit was a ferocious summer storm that cut a swath of destruction Friday night across 11 states, killing more than a dozen people, toppling trees, knocking out traffic lights, and sending thousands of people to shelters and into community pools to escape the heat.

The worst of the outages remained in the areas around Baltimore and Washington,
D.C. To alleviate commuter congestion Monday, federal and state officials gave many workers the option of staying home. Federal agencies opened in Washington, but non-emergency employees had the option of taking leave or working from home. Maryland's governor also gave state workers wide leeway for staying out of the office.Heat warnings have been issued for parts of Alabama, Florida, the Carolinas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and Ohio. In St. Louis, the National Weather Service warned of "dangerous heat" as temperatures climb to 106 degrees on Monday.
John Swift who lost power at his home in a suburb of Richmond, Va., toughed out the power outage without complaint. The heat, he said, was the "biggest nuisance

• JoeBtfsplk 2012/07/02 15:32:00
    JoeBtfsplk
    +6
    It started west of Chicago and moved towards DC.

It could be God's wrath towards Obama.

• Stormy 2012/07/05 10:20:41
    Stormy
    I've been following it on the TV. Sounds awful. Have their been any deaths from it so far ?
  • beach bum 2012/07/04 22:24:41
    beach bum
    yes
  • Curious George 2012/07/04 07:49:54
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/07/04 05:43:35 (edited)
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    I AM VERY AWARE! We have the A/C on high and all of the fans on full blast. This is insane! I hate summer! It's way to hot! I can't handle having over 90 degree weather every single day! And 100 is just crazy!! And then add the humidity and everyone is a hot sticky mess :(
  • Fievel 2012/07/04 04:01:54
    Fievel
    +1
    Here in PA it's not hitting as hard, but we're still going through 90s a whole week at a time.
    Eventually it'll be over, nothing lasts forever.
    pa hitting 90s week eventually lasts
  • Soojin 2012/07/04 01:58:03
    No, no big thing.
    Soojin
    +2
    Come out to Colorado, and we'll show you heat.

colorado heat
  • Stormy Soojin 2012/07/05 10:23:17
    Stormy
    So awful about all the homes lost in Colorado. Very sad.
  • Queen B 2012/07/03 22:18:28
    Queen B
    +2
    I'm in the middle of this oppressive heat. I feel sorry for those who have lost their power for days now, due to storms, and have no generators for air conditioning or fans to cool off their homes.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/07/03 21:45:31
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +2
    I'm in Northwest Arkansas and it's a nightmare
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2012/07/03 21:08:53
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +2
    Not only in the east and midwest. My home state of Colorado is burning down along with New Mexico, Arizona and Utah.
    Nationally there have been nearly 2000 temp records by date and something around 20 all time temperature highs going back to the 1880's.
    Do you suppose that the FACT of climate change will become apparent as the jet stream moves further north from year to year?
  • Stormy LesWagg... 2012/07/05 10:27:10
    Stormy
    +2
    You would think the deniers would be having second thoughts as weather records are smashed again and again. Sanity must prevail at some point amongst those deniers surely.
  • Warren ... Stormy 2012/07/06 15:28:50
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    My prediction is that even after the ice sheets collapse and New York City is submerged below the Atlantic Ocean, deniers will point to methane plumes, albedo changes in the Arctic, and other natural feedbacks to the manmade forcings to claim that climate change was natural all along, so man had nothing to do with it - "let's continue business as usual". They have a tendency to cherry pick the data.
  • Stormy Warren ... 2012/07/10 05:36:55
    Stormy
    +1
    It's true it's hard to change a mind set. However life has a way of flushing the life destroyers out of the system. Like anti bodies in our own systems. People who have a clue will take steps to live in a safe place, live in a sustainable way and by doing that nature will leave them and take out the deniers, as they are the ones who will stubbornly live in the wrong place, in the wrong way, relying on the wrong fuel sources. I believe there is hope because we have the planet on our side, the deniers have the whole planet against them, including the laws of physics. They will lose. The planet will win.
  • LesWagg... Stormy 2012/07/06 22:24:06
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    The ads that are currently so prevelent from the petroleum, natural gas and coal industries claim that we can continue to use fossil fuels with impunity.
    The electric power here in Costa Rica is 90% hydro but even so I am looking into setting up a solar powered Stirling engine type electric generation system.
  • Stormy LesWagg... 2012/07/10 05:28:43
    Stormy
    +1
    Big Oil are only interested in big profits and will continue to spread disinformation and use all the political clout money can buy them to continue business as usual. I believe it's up to us, not Governments to take matters firmly in our own hands and do everything we can to give fossil fuels the big swerve. We are about 80% hydro for electricity in NZ but Kiwis are renowned for travelling the world and burning up fossil fuels flying around the world. I refuse to fly anywhere now and have stopped driving or flying ten years ago. I live where I work so it's easy for me. We all need to do what we can do, and as much as possible. The" Gubment " can't fix this one. The " Gubment " is easily bought by Big Oil money.
  • LesWagg... Stormy 2012/07/10 06:44:49
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    I've gotten used to the bus system here in Costa Rica. The fares are low but being over 65 I ride for free anyway.
  • Stormy LesWagg... 2012/07/10 07:24:39
    Stormy
    +1
    Good on you Les. You're a silver bus surfer ! Way to go !
  • Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2012/07/03 20:51:09
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +2
    Maybe Congress could do like the North Carolina legislature and make global warming illegal. That might fix it. ;)
  • Curious... Warren ... 2012/07/04 08:12:44
    Curious George
    carbon dioxide has NOTHING to do with it. how do you explain glaciers expanding on the west cost? or this story ---->> http://iceagenow.info/2012/07...
  • Warren ... Curious... 2012/07/05 06:39:21
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    Well I guess you think government edict can override the laws of physics! LMAO!
  • Curious... Warren ... 2012/07/06 05:53:01
  • Warren ... Curious... 2012/07/06 15:22:14
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    The physics has not been revised. The model needed to be updated because it UNDERESTIMATED the effects of global warming since 1981, when James Hansen published this chart:

model underestimated effects global warming 1981 james hansen published chart
  • Curious... Warren ... 2012/07/09 06:37:03 (edited)
    Curious George
    James Hansen is the biggest fraud in the science community and the vast majority of his predictions have NOT happened. The fact is that his "observations" are done in places that favors warming. like placing gauges on airport tarmacs or school parking lots next to a/c condensers spewing out heat for example. the only accurate global temperature measurements are from the sattilites. if you check out this website, it has the most up to date satilite record, and guess what? it looks nothing like the graph you have above.

sattilites check website export picture date satilite record guess graph

Fact of the matter is that if CO2 was the main driver, then it would be a hell of allot hotter than it is right now. However the truth is that CO2 has a very MINOR role to play in global climate change and its the sun and the oceans that play the biggest role. I wonder if Mr. James Hansen put those two obvious factors in his physical equations..... oh thats right, he didn't, or if he did he got them wrong.
  • Warren ... Curious... 2012/07/09 16:16:51
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    Of course the two graphs look nothing alike. Your graph is the global lower tropospher anomaly. Hansen's graph is the GISS global surface temperature average. Do you know what those words mean?

Your statement is an outright lie. Yes, I am accusing you of being a liar. Why do you fabricate lies to make a point? Is it because the science is way beyond your understanding?
  • Q 2012/07/03 20:34:14
    Q
    +2
    Oh yeah, its been in the triple digits where I live since last Thursday and the forecast for the rest of the week isn't much better with it only dropping down to the upper to middle nineties, ughhh...

At least the storm didn't knock out the power here or it would be frigging miserable, I feel for all those who have to suffer through this with no electricity. A/C is no longer a luxury its become a necessity especially for the elderly and sick.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/07/03 20:01:20
    No, no big thing.
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    I'm headed to D.C wake and bake who needs electricity?

http://webstation19.8k.com/wa...
  • Q John Ga... 2012/07/03 20:39:11
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/07/03 14:51:25
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +1
    I live in the East. You becha I know how how it is!!!
  • A Founding Father 2012/07/03 07:38:30
    A Founding Father
    Makes it tempting to believe there is a "God" out there somewhere that would punish these Mid Atlantic States for their right-wing attitudes, doesn't it? Maybe just a warning to
    them to straighten up their household before November and the possibility of blizzards and temps of -50 degrees.
  • ConLibFraud 2012/07/02 19:52:39
    ConLibFraud
    May this heat wave climax in DC and burn that hell hole to the ground!!!
  • Warren ... ConLibF... 2012/07/03 20:56:20
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    You and your al Qaeda buddies could celebrate together. Ron Paul supporters seem to want peace in every nation on Earth except for America. Why do you hate America?
  • ConLibF... Warren ... 2012/07/03 21:11:39
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    Al Queda was manufactured by the CIA. You are giving away your ignorance. The DC thugs and bankers have declared war on We The People. Why do you defend them?
  • Warren ... ConLibF... 2012/07/03 21:53:31
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    The bankers are mostly in New York. Would you like to see that "hellhole" burned to the ground too?
  • ConLibF... Warren ... 2012/07/03 23:14:23
    ConLibFraud
    The bankers own and control DC. Again, you give away your ignorance. Now, back to the question ... why do you defend them?
  • Warren ... ConLibF... 2012/07/03 23:28:07
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    So why don't you want to take out the real enemies, the top bankers in NYC? That's what your CIA backed Osama bin Laded set out to do. For that matter every town in the USA has a bank. Why not just nuke the whole country?
  • ConLibF... Warren ... 2012/07/03 23:31:02
    ConLibFraud
    Just answer the question little boy and stop dodging.
  • Warren ... ConLibF... 2012/07/03 23:40:39
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    You seem to be the one dodging!

But for the record, I do not defend the bankers. But unlike you, I am smart enough to know that leveling DC isn't going to solve the problem.
  • Kashee 2012/07/02 19:00:30
    Kashee
    +1
    I think it is very dangerous for people in this heat and the power outages are making it even worse.
  • Just me ♥ 2012/07/02 18:04:55
    Just me ♥
    We've had triple digit temps for 2-3 wks now. Grass is brown, my ground has pulled 2-3" away from the foundation of my house as well as the curb. We personally havent had any power failures in my area. People need to remember to drink extra fluids, bring the pets indoors and if needed people need to go to cooling centers like malls, schools, etc to keep cool.
  • Charmaine 2012/07/02 17:29:01
    Charmaine
    I live in GA!!! It was a hot weekend!!!

2014/07/24 02:22:57