Are You Angry With New GOP Congress Already? Tea Party Is

The 112th Congress hasn’t even gotten to work yet and there’s already tension brewing between the upstarts in the Tea Party and their big brothers and sisters in the GOP. Like teenagers who insist on wearing their ripped jeans to dinner with grammy and gramps, some members of the Tea Party have started straining at the leash.

Their biggest gripe, according to The New York Times, is anger over what they see as a failure by sitting party members to stem the tide of major legislation passed by the Obama administration in the waning days of the 111th. They’re also a bit pissed that more of them haven’t gotten powerful leadership positions on Congressional committees.

That sound you’re going to start hearing is members of the Tea Party shouting: “Hey! America said they were sick of the same old crap with their votes in November! And this is how you react! Have you not been paying attention at all?”

Tea Partiers are mad that Democrats were able to push through a raft of legislation that they opposed during the lame-duck session, including a bill to cover medical care for 9/11 first responders, a repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the ratification of the New Start arms control treaty with Russia and a landmark food safety bill.

“Do I think that they’ve recognized what happened on Election Day? I would say decisively no,” said Tea Party Patriots co-founder Mark Meckler of the Dems. The Patriots sent out an alert to their members last month urging their representatives to “stop now and go home!!”

“We sent them a message that we expect them to go home and come back newly constituted and do something different,” Meckler said. “For them to legislate when they’ve collectively lost their mandate just shows the arrogance of the ruling elite. I can’t imagine being repudiated in the way they were and then coming back and saying ‘Now that we’ve been repudiated, let’s go pass some legislation.’ I’m surprised by how blatant it was."

Meckler was just as mad, if not more so, with Republicans, who he dubbed a “disaster,” claiming that the only reason they stood up to Democrats at all was because “we stood behind them with a big stick.” And even though they applauded the extension of the Bush tax cuts for everyone, including millionaires and billionaires, they were pissed that the GOP bailed on the push to fully repeal the estate tax.

More than 40 Tea Party candidates were elected to the House and Senate in November, but they missed out on key leadership positions. However, they can claim one (albeit small) victory, as new House Leader John Boehner of Ohio has agreed to bar any new legislation from being introduced without posting it online for three days before any vote. Incoming Tea Party House members also managed to lodge a first with a rule that calls for the Constitution to be read aloud on the House floor when the session opens on Wednesday.

Do you think the GOP and Tea Party can get along?

• Idiot repubs 2011/01/04 00:46:42
    Idiot repubs
    +13
    The tea party was used like a kleenex and then discarded. The Billionaire Kock Brothers and millionaire Dick Armey used them to fight against their own best interests.

Teabaggers won't ever put 2 and 2 together though.

+2
    I wanna know if the Y+Tea Party and the one screaming now is the same party...... Democtrats have joined the Tea Party to disrupt ...They did this with Republicans at one time. Now it's the Tea Party. I don't trust any Demopcrat and I have disengaged myself from the few I have had. Theyn have become odious.
  • dropkick jackola... 2011/01/04 01:21:26
    dropkick
    +1
    Sounds more like you disengaged from reality!
  • ucntbsrius 2011/01/03 23:14:19
    ucntbsrius
    Wackos cooperating with arrogant morons? Not going to happen.
  • Path60 2011/01/03 22:50:36
    Path60
    +4
    The 112th Congress hasnt taken office yet
  • Jensenmk 2011/01/03 22:49:35
    Jensenmk
    +1
    They haven't had the chance to do anything yet; although hey certainly have their work cut out for them.
  • J 2011/01/03 22:41:51
    J
    +1
    I am sure that before too long, the GOP will figure out that the liberals have the Democrat/Socialist party; the CONSERVATIVES want the Republican Party. If we can't get it through the GOP leadership, we will get it through the TEA Party movement.
  • dropkick J 2011/01/04 01:23:43
    dropkick
    Try again- the extremists from both parties have been shut out and now we have moderates supporting the majority of Americans who are moderates.

You are about to see the GOP old school walk hand in hand with Obama Democrats to fix the country and your extremists can sit on the side line and watch!
  • J dropkick 2011/01/04 18:13:21
    J
    +1
    Try again- it was the "moderate" republicans that lost and the liberal democrats that lost in the Nov 2010 election. What Congress/Senate have you been keeping up with?
  • flaca BN-0 2011/01/03 22:35:45
    flaca BN-0
    +7
    People who risked their lives (and many have lost them) working on Ground Zero are no different from soldiers. The Right likes to talk about patriotism and the military serving their country, but if you're a civilian and give up your life for your country, or your health, you don't deserve help with your health situation. That makes me so angry. Patriots? ha!
  • Path60 flaca BN-0 2011/01/03 22:47:58
    Path60
    +3
    Please understand that most of these first responders were covered under their union health care programs; very good health care programs.
  • ucntbsrius Path60 2011/01/03 23:12:18
    ucntbsrius
    +3
    Some lost their job due to health problems from 9-11 and have lost their medical coverage. What does it matter if the medical covered by a contract? There are many things in this law that covers them for issues they were having a hard getting coverage for. Its the responsibility of the federal Government to cover these patriotic Americans
  • Path60 ucntbsrius 2011/01/03 23:21:21
    Path60
    +3
    I am in no way demeaning the sacrifices of these brave folks and have the utmost respect for them; but where does their union fall in the order of helping these folks, Isnt it part of their responsibility to look after them what do they pay union dues for?
  • ucntbsrius Path60 2011/01/03 23:46:24
    ucntbsrius
    +3
    The union has contracts with the insurance company that has parameters. Unions have enough trouble staying afloat now with the long term plan corporations have to void themselves of unionized workers. I'm sure theyhave done much in support of the members who put their lives at risk to help others. Many of the volunteers probably didn't have health care to begin with. A high % of Americans don't.
  • JimboNa... ucntbsrius 2011/01/04 04:04:20
    JimboNaught
    No it is not the responsibility of the fed to cover these patriotic Americans...it is the responsibility of New York to take care of its own citizens. Period. The next thing that you will be telling me is that it is the responsibility of the feds to bail out California, Illinois, etc., from their impending state bankruptcies. Of course, you probably think that it is the responsibility of the feds to clean the snow off of the streets in NYC, too. Why don't you ask the unions to stop contributing their members' dues to the pocketbooks of politicians and spend it on better healthcare for their peeps?
  • ucntbsrius JimboNa... 2011/01/04 07:20:58
    ucntbsrius
    +1
    It was an attack on America. People came from all over the country
  • ucntbsrius JimboNa... 2011/01/05 02:16:22
    ucntbsrius
    It wasn't just residents of the city that responded. It was the country that responded. An embarrassment to this country is those foreigners who came to help were covered by their home countries.
  • Javimendo 2011/01/03 22:34:02
    Javimendo
    +5
    No. The 112th Congress hasn’t even gotten to work yet.

What is really irritating the Tea Party is the awful stink left over from the liberal-progressive 111th Congress. I hope the 112th Congress have their chem-suits ready.

stink liberal-progressive 111th congress hope 112th congress chem-suits ready Chemical suit
  • ucntbsrius Javimendo 2011/01/03 23:48:32
    ucntbsrius
    +2
    Nice try. Americans have a short memory. Remember the mess they put the country in only 4 short years ago? That stink is still there.
  • sick'n'... Javimendo 2011/01/04 00:52:37
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    LOL Too funny!
  • ChrisK1969 2011/01/03 22:33:35
  • Evil 1 ChrisK1969 2011/01/03 23:47:10
    Evil 1
    As anyone with any common sense would. Great response to another baiting question by Sodahead.
  • ChrisK1969 Evil 1 2011/01/04 01:15:37
  • Evil 1 ChrisK1969 2011/01/04 03:12:57
    Evil 1
    Exactly
  • dropkick ChrisK1969 2011/01/04 01:24:49
    dropkick
    That will be a long reserve!
  • The Wrong Guy 2011/01/03 22:28:36
    The Wrong Guy
    +4
    I'm angry that the American electorate never learns, but anything that makes the sanctimonious, faux-pious, generally useless Tea-jadists angry makes me happy, so color me conflicted.
  • Path60 The Wro... 2011/01/03 22:48:42
    Path60
    +2
    You are very ill informed arent you?
  • The Wro... Path60 2011/01/03 23:36:47
    The Wrong Guy
    +3
    No, no, no, you got it all wrong, ma'am: well informed
  • Path60 The Wro... 2011/01/03 23:40:31
    Path60
    +1
    Please take time to read this; very enlightening perhaps in some way might make you think differently and you would be better informed. What have you got to lose?
    read enlightening differently informed lose mad as hell the rise of the tea party
  • Liza Jane Path60 2011/01/03 23:43:19
    Liza Jane
    +4
    The only fundamental change the Tea Party created is a new, big, fat, ridiculous litmus test for Republicans.

They've pushed out the people who were center Right, fiscal Conservatives and demanded fiscal and social Conservatives. Way to go. LOL
  • The Wro... Path60 2011/01/03 23:45:22
    The Wrong Guy
    +3
    I'd lose the two hours or so it would take for me to cringe through the entire thing. I'd want those two hours back.
  • ChrisK1969 The Wro... 2011/01/04 01:16:58
  • The Wro... ChrisK1969 2011/01/04 01:19:59
    The Wrong Guy
    +1
    Who said anything about the Congress? I was talking about the shame I feel toward my fellow American voters, the same shame I felt in them when they voted for Bush a second time, and the same shame I felt when they lost all sense of decency, and decided that the President was enemy number one - before he was even sworn in.

No need to yell - it's just the internet.
  • AndrewTally 2011/01/03 22:28:36
    AndrewTally
    +4
    Let's hope the war ends in suicides of both of them

2014/07/26 15:12:04