Are you a "Prepper"??

Space Invader 2012/01/23 19:26:09

Meet the ‘Preppers’ — The Americans Stockpiling Food & Water for a Possible Collapse
The world’s a scary place. Wars, famines, corrupt politicians, terrorism, imploding economies — the list goes on. There are plenty of issues worth fearing, which is why a subset of the nation is preparing for what they see as impending calamity.

These individuals, dubbed “preppers,” are stocking up on food, guns, water and other items that they may need should the economy erupt or a massive natural disaster strike. With so many possibilities for problematic occurrences, these individuals want to ensure that they can live beyond any tragically defining moments.

Most preppers are fearful of the prospects of no governmental structure — something that some see as a possibility amidst economic woes and political strife. Back in 2009, a Newsweek report described this phenomenon:

In the late 1990s, Y2K fears brought survivalism to the mainstream, only to usher it back out again when disaster didn’t strike. (Suddenly, unused survival gear began showing up in classifieds and on eBay.) A decade later, “preppers” are what you might call survivalism’s Third Wave: regular people with jobs and homes whose are increasingly fearful about the future…

Watch some preppers discuss their lifestyle, below:

Reuters published a report this weekend, highlighting some of the preppers out there who are stockpiling and awaiting what they see as the inevitable. To begin, there’s Patty Tegeler, a 57-year-old who lives in Virginia’s Appalachian Mountains.

“In an instant, anything can happen,” she said. “And I firmly believe that you have to be prepared.”

Tegeler’s home has essentially been prepared for whatever may come. She has a large generator, water tanks, portable heaters and enough freeze-dried food to lock herself inside and to keep nourished for two years.

Wondering how she secured these items? There’s an entire market that caters to these individuals (most vendors operate on the internet). These companies sell many of the items that Tegeler has in her own home, as they teach skills or sell the products needed to ensure individual and family survival pending disaster.

The Reuters article even mentions Glenn Beck:

Conservative talk radio host Glenn Beck seems to preach preppers’ message when he tells listeners: “It’s never too late to prepare for the end of the world as we know it.”

Additionally, it goes on to further explain the movement:

“With our current dependence on things from the electric grid to the Internet, things that people have absolutely no control over, there is a feeling that a collapse scenario can easily emerge, with a belief that the end is coming, and it is all out of the individual’s control,” [Cathy Gutierrez, an expert on end-times beliefs at Sweet Briar College in Virginia] told Reuters.

While many would dub survivalist behaviors as silly or a waste of time, preppers separate themselves from the likes of Harold Camping and other leaders who have set dates for what they promise to be apocalyptic conclusions to societal existence. Preppers like Tegeler claim that their items won‘t go to waste regardless of whether there’s a collapse or not. For these individuals it’s all about being ready for anything that could unfold.

And there’s plenty of media outlets for these individuals to consume, as they share tips and communicate with one another. Blogs like lawyer Michael T. Snider’s “The Economic Collapse” focus upon the themes surrounding the economy’s potential bust.

“Most people have a gut feeling that something has gone terribly wrong, but that doesn’t mean that they understand what is happening,” Snider said. “A lot of Americans sense that a massive economic storm is coming and they want to be prepared for it.”

Then there’s James Wesley Rawles, a former Army intelligence officer, who is behind the “Survival Blog,” an online outlet that preppers regularly read.

“We could see a cascade of higher interest rates, margin calls, stock market collapses, bank runs, currency revaluations, mass street protests, and riots,” he said in an interview with Reuters. “The worst-case end result would be a Third World War, mass inflation, currency collapses, and long term power grid failures.”

A screen shot from the American Preppers Network

Tom Martin launched “American Prepper’s Network” back in 2009 — a daily blog and support network that attracts thousands of individuals each week. The most recent post on the site’s blog reads:

Man-made disasters come in many forms. The most obvious would be spills and contamination caused by deteriorating materials, poor driving, train derailments, pipeline maintenance (or lack thereof), infrastructure collapse, policies that lead to coastal erosion, policies that contribute to widespread forest fires, sub-standard building codes, etc. There are other potential disasters that can be even more far-reaching. These include, but not limited to, monetary policies, tax codes, currency issues, stock market crashes, credit down grades, recession/depression, inflation/hyper-inflation (alaWeimar republic) and devaluation of a currency. Venezuela, Japan and others have experienced these events.

The list of possibilities is long and growing, but again, the prudent man attempts to prepare. For his family and his continued well-being.

This is only a small lens into the prepper movement, but this is nothing new. Throughout history, subsets of American society have remained ready and prepared for whatever may come. While critics may dub it an over reaction, preppers feel they’re simply being prudent.

• PoorManSurvival 2012/06/03 09:28:31
    yes
    PoorManSurvival
    We've been preaching self sufficiency tactics for several years now in case of man-made or natural disasters and of course, we routinely rail against anti-citizen government policies at our PoorManSurvival.com site.
  • D D 2012/04/17 17:33:22
    yes
    D D
    I would have thought there would be more preppers. Just look at the things happening these days.

The patriot act (it was renewed and had additions put on it by Obama)

NDAA - anyone can be taken and imprisoned without trial for as long as they want.

Executive Order - Obama's martial law. They can take anything they want as well
    as force you to work for no wage.

A lot of earth disasters.

The economy

These all say to me nothing good is coming and the government knows and is preparing. The DHS bought 450 million hollow point bullets. They are not for our military. Our gov is stockpiling food. Put it together and there is enough evidence to show something is coming. They don't do these things for nothing.

I am here to talk prep with if anyone wants to.

vbj

vfr nji
  • George 2012/02/18 12:56:01
    yes
    George
    Whats the worse case in being a prepper?
    You end up with a lot of extra food and may not have to go shopping for a few months.
  • JuneGagnon 2012/01/27 08:23:36
    yes
    JuneGagnon
    With a family of 7, you need to be prepared for anything that comes your way; I've been told that the only event, we might not survive, would be an eruption of Old Faithful, in Yellowstone National Park - -unless we could "bug out" and head east in time!
  • SourDiesel 2012/01/24 01:18:54
    yes
    SourDiesel
    +1
    But not for those reasons. I am more fearful of something natural like hurricanes, droughts, and fires.
  • Bozette 2012/01/23 23:09:35
    Bozette
    +1
    I would like to be, and as I can afford to do so, I will. It is not crazy to be over prepared...it may be suicidal to be under-prepared or not prepared at all.
  • Melizmatic Bozette 2012/01/23 23:13:00
    Melizmatic
    +2
    Precisely.

Here's the real rub;

Without precognizant abilities, one STILL never knows exactly what kind of catastrophe may afflict society as we know it.

Therefore it simply isn't possible to prepare for every potential eventuality.
  • Bozette Melizmatic 2012/01/23 23:18:00
    Bozette
    +1
    That is true.

Even with all the information available of probable possibilities, it is beyond most people's ability to prep for them.

I have always been one to stock the pantry with food and necessities, however, and it has come in handy as the economy here has dived.
  • Melizmatic Bozette 2012/01/23 23:19:10
    Melizmatic
    +1
    That's just prudent.
  • Bozette Melizmatic 2012/01/23 23:22:24
    Bozette
    +1
    Yes, but I have been told I tend to go overboard. lol
  • Bibliophilic 2012/01/23 21:27:34
    no
    Bibliophilic
    I wish that I were- it's always best to be prepared for the worst. I'd like to collect items I might need in case of an emergency and become more self sufficient, increase home security- but I can't afford it right now. I wouldn't go overboard with it, but it seems like a decent hobby. I loved seeing the underground shelter one man built!
  • Shawna 2012/01/23 20:11:35
    bunch of garbage
    Shawna
    +1
    Paranoid people with guns. I guess I SHOULD be getting worried myself.
  • Striker 2012/01/23 19:44:04
    yes
    Striker
    +2
    I believe that very few people acknowledge all the possible scenarios ahead, and that even fewer are able to fully prepare for much more that some basics for the very short run. More from me here:
    http://no-ruler.net/collapse/...
    and the link to Scenarios at the end
  • Lindy... 2012/01/23 19:40:00
    no
    Lindy...
    My guess is that if disasterous earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, hurricanes and floods DO happen, having all those supplies tucked away in the basement, garage, or storage shed wouldn't do anybody any good. When your house gets destroyed, those rooms get destroyed right along with it. It's a waste of time and money since the types of disasters predicted would be so violent that everything would be destroyed...including the stockpiles of crackers, cereal and water!! Me? I'd rather go out with the first wave and never know what hit me. Anything else is too frightening to contemplate. Anybody read "The Road"?
    Who would want to live in such a horror scenerio?
  • Space I... Lindy... 2012/01/23 20:04:59
    Space Invader
    who wrote "The Road" ? I love to read books that deal with end-time scenarios...
  • Lindy... Space I... 2012/01/24 17:32:58
    Lindy...
    The Road by Cormac Mcarthy

I read it over a year ago, and I still think about it sometimes. Pretty depressing read, but it really gets you thinking!
  • Space Invader 2012/01/23 19:26:56
    yes
    Space Invader
    +1
    still not enough stuff; yet...

2014/07/23 19:42:20