Are Wisconsin's Protesters the 'Tea Party for the Left'?

Politics 2011/02/22 15:00:00
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker's efforts to eliminate collective bargaining rights for many state workers prompted waves of ongoing protests, something CBS political analyst John Dickerson says reminds him a lot of another recent group of protesters.

CBS' "Early Show" host Chris Wragge and guest Dickerson spoke about the motivations of the protesters and the idea that the Wisconsin movement could be the Tea Party for the Left:

WRAGGE: You talk about this being a potential Tea Party movement for the Left. What did you exactly mean by that?

DICKERSON: Well, the Tea Party always existed within the Republican Party. But they had an energizing moment. And this is the energizing moment on the Left, progressives and unions have always been together. They were very energized in 2006, and in 2008. In 2010 they were a little dispirited, Barack Obama didn't turn out to be the president they had hoped. Well now they're quite energized and it's not about President Obama anymore. It's about the threat to their benefits.

Read More: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2011/02/...

• vis_viva 2011/04/04 02:35:22
    vis_viva
    I have to thank Scott Walker for forwarding the cause of labor unions more than any single individual over the past decade.
  • Slade 2011/03/25 16:30:33
    Slade
    The WI protesters are nothing more than ASTROTURF bought and paid for by the same union thugs that beat down innocent people at Tea Party events.

There has not been one incident of violence by a Tea Party protester.

On the other hand the goons in WI are breaking windows, spraying graffiti on bank walls and making death threats against members of the WI Senate and house.

I'm sure the leftards wish the TP members were a bunch of unhinged loons like they are, but sorry we have common sense and morals, we don't resort to violence and infantile behavior when we don't get our way.

bunch unhinged loons common morals resort violence infantile behavior violence in wisconsin protesters

• DavidK Slade 2011/04/01 16:22:42
    DavidK
    You libtard protestors bring such a positive light to the issues....... Now "MOVE ON!"
  • AL 2011/03/01 06:39:51
    AL
    +2
    Commie bastard union thugs at best!
  • Diverbelo 2011/02/28 03:12:00
    Diverbelo
    +2
    Just a group that is having withdrawls from sucking on the tit of the taxpayers too long.
  • Progressive 1 2011/02/26 19:53:11
    Progressive 1
    The proverbial "mixing of apples and oranges" wouldn't you say????
  • zekke 2011/02/26 15:17:05
    zekke
    +3
    ASTROTURF!!!!!
  • DavidK 2011/02/26 06:33:09
    DavidK
    +1
    These protesters are barking up the wrong tree! Imagine The Minnesota Vikings going to Green Bay to play the Packers, only to find the offense has left the State. Who's fault is that? Would the fans boo the Vikings for the Packers offense leaving? Its hard to play the game without all your players there.
    Same goes with the Senators of Wisconsin! Bargains can't be made without all the players present! Quit blaming your Governor that you elected! He's in the game, your players aren't!
    Besides, how to you pay for something with an empty wallet?!? EVERYONE has to make sacrifices in todays economy. Failure to do so will lead to future repercussions that could have been avoided if sacrificed today. Now many teachers greed and selfishness is going to cost them! Hopefully, this will be a lesson to those who don't want to play the game correctly!
  • BobJessen 2011/02/25 17:56:56
    BobJessen
    +1
    Lets Hope So!!
  • Swany 2011/02/24 19:57:57
    Swany
    I listened to the prank tape myself. Why dose a Kansas City business man have a vested interest in WI policy making. The answer made me sick to my stomach. kansas city business vested wi policy answer sick stomach boot licker
  • FeelHood H. Obama~BN28 2011/02/24 13:22:06
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    These Wisconsin protesters are members of a dying breed: The American Middle Class. They're not propped up (like the Tea Party) by Fascist multibillionaires on a power grab.
  • DavidK FeelHoo... 2011/03/01 04:20:10
  • FeelHoo... DavidK 2011/03/01 20:21:32
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    I don't care what facts smell like, as long as they are facts.
  • JessyBear FeelHoo... 2011/03/25 15:23:03
    JessyBear
    +1
    But they are not the facts.
  • FeelHoo... JessyBear 2011/03/25 19:57:05
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    Yes, they really are.
  • CUDDLY ... DavidK 2011/03/25 16:45:54
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    Thanks, I needed that ............... :)
  • DavidK CUDDLY ... 2011/03/25 18:28:47
    DavidK
    yw
  • JessyBear FeelHoo... 2011/03/25 15:22:36
    JessyBear
    +2
    Dude - you really need to wake up - The unions have bought and paid for the dem vote. This is all a union deal. It has nothing to do with the middle class - that's just the line they feed the sheep to get them to follow. Unions spent over 700 million to buy votes. I think you have it all backwards. Think about it. You know who is stealing from the poor - your government and your unions.
  • Slade JessyBear 2011/03/25 16:34:05
    Slade
    Exactly.
  • Hawk JessyBear 2011/03/25 16:49:56
    Hawk
    Good post but I`m afraid your wasting your time I don`t think he has the mentality to undestand what your trying to tell him.
  • FeelHoo... JessyBear 2011/03/25 19:57:36
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    ....and other Hannity myths.

Thank you for your opinions.
  • DavidK FeelHoo... 2011/03/25 18:31:58
    DavidK
    they are members of a dying breed! Lets hope so! These protestors do not represent the middle class. They represent the ignorance of the libtards and union ass kissers!
  • FeelHoo... DavidK 2011/03/25 19:58:22
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    You hope that the American Middle Class dies out completely...?

This definitely ends our conversation.
  • DavidK FeelHoo... 2011/03/26 11:08:51
    DavidK
    if you want that to happen, you better hope the state doesn't go broke! Walker is trying to prevent this moron. America cannot survive without a middle class. Most of those protestors are being supported by they're parents! Not to mention clueless as to what they are protesting!
  • FeelHoo... DavidK 2011/03/26 16:36:51
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    The state wasn't broke.

It's just "Trickle-Up" Economics with a Koch chaser.

Further name-calling will get you reported.
  • DavidK FeelHoo... 2011/03/28 23:31:07
    DavidK
    The rest of the Country needs more Governors like Walker! The libs are out for themselves! Hope they all get fired!
  • West 2011/02/24 01:29:09
    West
    +1
    It was the unions that brought us; 1) 8hr work day instead of the mandatory 10 hr work day 2) min. wage requirements 3) weekends 4) healthcare 5) days off for holidays. You would have to be an idiot or a very rich person to be against the unions.
  • Hawk West 2011/03/25 16:56:28
    Hawk
    Your wrong I have had direct dealing`s with unions and they help to an extent but only if the owner`s give them a little kick back under the table. But make no mistake they get the employees a few crumb`s but the owners make out better or I should say the union`s make out better.
  • Shayes ™ 2011/02/23 17:48:51
  • Odie 2011/02/23 17:36:20
    Odie
    +1
    I voted for Walker realizing that my pocketbook as a public employee was on the line. But I never in my wildest dreams thought he would destroy the essence of what makes Wisconsin great. He thinks he represents me but this is not why I voted him in. Even if the assembly does the right thing and modifies parts. Our govenor has the magic line item veto pen and can add it all back in. I lament the day I thought him a good man.
  • Kinetic Odie 2011/02/23 18:15:26
    Kinetic
    +1
    "I voted for Walker realizing that my pocketbook as a public employee was on the line. "

I don't believe you.
  • Odie Kinetic 2011/02/24 18:52:56
    Odie
    You have a right to your beliefs and I know the truth. I am a public librarian and a libertarian. I try to vote for the person more than the party and thought I voted for the better man, but was mistaken. I don't know who I will vote for next election, but it will not be for Walker
  • Kinetic Odie 2011/02/24 20:06:08
    Kinetic
    +3
    I would vote to leave the Democrat union.
  • Odie Kinetic 2011/02/24 20:14:31
    Odie
    The union is not Democrat and I voted not to have my membership dues used to support PEOPLE. Federal law requires political contributions to be voluntary.
  • Kinetic Odie 2011/03/06 13:56:33
    Kinetic
    +1
    "The union is not Democrat"

I am unaware of a single public union that is not Democrat.

"I voted not to have my membership dues used to support PEOPLE."

How is that working out for you?

"Federal law requires political contributions to be voluntary."

"On the Waterfront"-like union thugs believe otherwise and is why they oppose "Right to Work".
  • DavidK Odie 2011/03/28 23:32:10
    DavidK
    So your personal greed.......
  • DavidK Odie 2011/02/26 06:37:24
    DavidK
    +1
    WHat has he done that you don't approve of? What has he done differently then when you voted for him?
  • Odie DavidK 2011/02/28 16:22:02 (edited)
    Odie
    At no time and in none of the speeches, debates, interviews or press released given to the general public did he say he was going to usurp the power of local governments and order them to do what the state mandates. Many small rural communities do not have employees who belong to unions. Many small town librarians, clerks, etc. make minimum wage or close to it and generally do pay something towards their benefits. So if you think cutting the take home pay of someone who makes minimum wage by 5.5% which is what dropping the defered pay for the pension annuity fund does and restricting municipalities from paying more than 88% towards health benefits isn't a hardship, guess again.
    I voted for Walker hoping for someone like Tommy Thompson or Lee Dreyfus and got another Doyle. Walker is more interested in political power, advancing his career and standing in the political limelight than working together with all the people in the state to solve the financial problems caused by the Wall Street meltdown.
  • DavidK Odie 2011/03/01 04:19:21
    DavidK
    +1
    Show me one employee making minimum wage that is even being considered for a pay cut. Where are you getting that info from?!?!?!?
  • Odie DavidK 2011/03/01 16:22:16 (edited)
    Odie
    My first job as a Librarian was in the small town of Westfield, WI. My pay was minimum wage, but I did get full health insurance coverage for me and my husband, plus the town matched my 3% of salary going towards the state pension annuity fund. From that job I was hired as a Sales Rep for Baker & Taylor at a base pay of $25,000, plus bonases. I finally landed a Children's Librarian position in a larger Wisconsin city, but it took me a good number of years to equal the pay I made as a Sales Rep in the private sector. So I would say I get my information from personal experience.

To be clear please understand that ALL municipal workers are facing the same restrictions which basically amount to an overall pay cut.
    1. no defered compensation in regards to pension -- all employees (union, management and non uunion) must pay 5.5% of pay towards pension annuity fund.
    2. All municipalites are restricted to paying no more than 88% of the cost of health insurance for all employees.

I think local municipalites need to be free from state restrictions in order to handle local issues as they see fit and not be restricted by the state. Walker is now acting just like the democrats did when they had the majority and I didn't like their bullying tactics either.

2014/08/21 22:07:52