Are We Chumps if We Blame Obama Instead of the Loony Republicans?

Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret) 2011/08/12 16:27:43
It is the Teabaggers fault the Government is failing.
The Moderate Republicans have engineered the failure to blame the President.
It is the White House and President Obama for not leading
The relentlessly independent-minded Matt Miller argues today that
he's aware "who the real villains are at this volatile moment." His
piece notes that he realizes it's "Tea Party Republicans" who've been
reckless, who've undermined confidence in the United States, and whose
actions have weakened the country.

But, Miller adds, he's mad at President Obama anyway. Kevin Drum's reaction resonated with me.

Honest
to God, Republicans must all be sitting in their back rooms and just
cackling like hell right now. Think about it. They developed a strategy
to hamstring the president completely -- a strategy that's bulletproof
thanks to our country's Constitution -- knowing that it would rally
their base but also hoping that it would cause moderates and lefties
alike to become disgusted with Obama's weakness even though we all know who's really responsible for what's going on.
And it worked! In fact, it's worked better than they could possibly
have imagined. They can probably barely keep from spitting up their
beers right now.

We are such chumps.

A couple of weeks ago, the day after the debt-ceiling agreement was announced -- a deal I repeatedly condemned, by the way -- I asked,
"Am I supposed to be angrier with the radicals who held a gun to our
heads, or those who prevented them from pulling the trigger?"

Even among those who know "who the real villains are," there's apparently still some ambiguity about the answer.

Based
on nothing but my own perceptions and recent experiences, I'm often
surprised at how common this is. I'm on a number of email lists, for
example, with fellow lefties in various circles, and I'd say the
criticisms of Obama on a daily basis, particularly over the last month
or so, outnumber criticisms of Republicans by at least 50 to 1. These
are folks who know full well who's chiefly responsible for the nation's
self-inflicted wounds, but like Miller, emphasize the fact they're "mad
at Barack Obama" anyway.

The
unstated message seems to be, "Sure, Republicans have become an American
nightmare. That's obvious. In fact, it's such a given, it's not worth
talking about. Instead, let's denounce the White House...."

But as Kevin noted, if we all know who's actually responsible for what's going on, maybe it is worth talking about, rather than playing the game the way the right prefers?

• Brianna Lee 2011/08/12 17:17:25
    Brianna Lee
    +8
    Perhaps you would like to play the blame game. Listen up chump (self-proclaimed in my humble opinion). Obama will blame every failure anyone or anything he can. There is one little fact you are forgetting. OBAMA IS THE FRIGGIN POTUS!
    GAUD, take some responsibility

• hayesml47 2011/08/15 13:53:23
    hayesml47
    +1
    The beginnings of this mess were from many years ago, however the intensity of our downfall was greatly increased by Clinton and Bush. The GOP has been ransacked by the extremists within the party and the Democrats still appear to be quite stunned. The creatures that each party have been offering as candidates is almost impossible to believe. Some are obviously being backed by Corporate America as fronts for their buying out of our country and the rest would look better in the Circus. Obama has inherited the biggest mess ever and has very little chance of being able to achieve very much with the gutless and shackled Congress he has to work with!
  • Bob Pooba 2011/08/13 06:06:02
    Bob Pooba
    +1
    Nope, it's all Obamalamadingdong.
  • ken 2011/08/12 22:24:26
    ken
    +3
    Kudos for offering an almost decent answer choice. Obama has been leading. This country down the wrong road.
  • Gloria 2011/08/12 21:25:37
    Gloria
    The S&P; downer is on the Teabaggers & I will not respond to anyone who does not agree.
  • ZippyTh... Gloria 2011/08/12 22:26:25
    ZippyTheWonderMonkey
    +2
    you're gonna be talking to yourself, then.
    +1
    That probably more fits the bill....
  • DutchHeretic Native non-Ame... 2011/08/12 20:07:37
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    +2
    As long as Obama is in Office I have seen only active sabotage and slander campaigns against Obama..
    Republicans Tea Baggers Conservatives and scattered Idiots who can only parrot the words from the three groups I mentioned first, try anything and everything to make him trip or make it impossible to do his job.
    This shows complete contempt for the principle of democracy ..

To me and the majority of people in my country (and I think the rest of Europe) this kind of disgusting disrespect for an elected head of state is revolting and repulsive..
    It shows that the people who show this disrespect have no decency at all..

Stop whining and accept that OBAMA WAS ELECTED, LET HIM DO HIS JOB wait for the next elections then you will have your democratic chance again ...

And YES you ARE Chumps You Blame Obama Instead of the Loony Republicans !

Oh and , conservatives tea baggers and republicans , please can you keep the insults and lies about Europe to your self ?
    A: It has nothing to do with this topic
    B: You Don't know J-a-c-k S-h-i-t about europe
    Beside that , it would only prove that my opinion of you is right
  • Lady Wh... DutchHe... 2011/08/12 20:16:27
    +3
    "OBAMA WAS ELECTED, LET HIM DO HIS JOB"

Agreed. Instead of bitchin' about what he is or is not doing, why don't they all do something USEFUL?
  • DutchHe... Lady Wh... 2011/08/12 20:44:49
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    +1
    must be hard and painfull I guess
  • Lady Wh... DutchHe... 2011/08/13 00:16:34
    lOLZ true!
  • ken DutchHe... 2011/08/12 22:14:48
    ken
    +3
    Where were you when Bush was president and the left did pretty much the same thing. You Europeans are so blase'. You know nothing about American politics.
  • DutchHe... ken 2011/08/13 07:20:24 (edited)
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    I was in my own country and we were looking at the US starting wars based on lies , and we saw you Americans blindly falling for this lies that Saddam Hussein had weapons if mass destruction (which he hadn't) that he was harbouring al Qaeda (which he didn't)
    But like I said , this is NOT about Europe but the chumps who blame Obama for the financial chaos the Dubya Bush adminstration created.
    And do I know nothing about American politics ? I think I know and and see more than you do ..
  • ken DutchHe... 2011/08/13 07:22:15
    ken
    +1
    Did you know that Obama has spent over a billion dollars trying to kill Qadaffi?
  • DutchHe... ken 2011/08/13 10:34:48
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    Did you know that Bush's iraq war (based on lies amd made the Iraqi people hate your guts (yes they do !!) cost trillions ?
    Yo are so easy in forgetting ...
    Protest against the army being expanded every year, THAT is what is costing all this money...
  • gracious43 DutchHe... 2011/08/13 01:23:35
    gracious43
    +1
    I appreciate the nobility of the European people, Dirk, if you never talk disrespectfully about your leaders. That is even a biblical mandate, so I doubly salute you. But 'dissing' our president is a national hobby around these parts.

See, Prez Bush was a moron, who hacked syntax, and was shy of grey matter, according to the Democrats

then Prez Clinton was a liar, and a man ho', according to the Republicans;

then Prez Daddy Bush was inept, according to the Democrats

then Prez Reagan was old and senile, according to Democrats

then Prez Carter was totally useless, and a Jesus freak, according to Republicans.

then Prez Ford was a criminal protector, not to mention a klutz, according to Democrats;

then Prez Nixon.... Well, never mind Nixon;

then Prez Johnson was a war-monger and a baby-killer, according to Republican;

then Prez Kennedy was a rich, Eastern snob, and worse, a Pope Kisser, according to Republicans;

then Prez Eisenhower did nothing but play golf all day, according to Democrats.

I can't really say before that, because I wasn't around, but I have heard hair-raising stories about earlier presidents from my father and grandmother. They were Democrats, so I'll let you guess who they told the stories about.

The minute they get elected, they will neve...

The minute they get elected, they will never be loved again until the day they die, at which time we send them out with a decent proper burial; and stories about their nobility and courage begin to be told.
  • DutchHe... gracious43 2011/08/13 07:35:41 (edited)
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    So ? you only prove my statement ...
    And ofcourse In Europe we often dissagree with our heads f states many times but we do not revert in slander campaigns and inventing lies about their personal lives ..
    We protest policy and not the person...
    This has to do with common decency a virtue that American Conservatives, Teabaggers and Republicans obviously do not possess..
  • gracious43 DutchHe... 2011/08/13 10:25:32
    gracious43
    +1
    Well, over here, Liberals and Progressives are no better than Conservatives and Teabaggers, when it comes to disrespecting the "other guy."

I'm giving you this friendly advise about Americans in good faith, my friend. I used to be a whole lot more passionate about my politics. The only reason I didn't get involved with trash-talking the Presidents is because of biblical admonition about that behavior, but I have come this close. I quit really caring about two years ago, but in the meantime, I just have been watching both parties.

I'm just telling you, friendly in your ear, this little thing about Americans. Otherwise it is going to drive you crazy listening to us trash our presidents.

Another little thing about Americans, is that when Europeans and Canadians start disrespecting our president, or our policies we begin to cohere. It is one thing to disrespect our presidents among each other, but we don't like it when people in other countries do it.

I didn't even realize this about myself, until I was watching a documentation about something or another, and a woman from France, began trash-talking Prez. Bush. My emotional response was unbelievably nasty. I'm not and never was a Republican, but I remember setting there thinking to myself, "Well, little F-R-E-N-C-H M--A-D-E-M-O-I-S-E-L-L-E!"
  • DutchHe... gracious43 2011/08/13 10:46:19 (edited)
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    Weird, I never seen liberal/progessive slander campaigns about the bush family, no liberal mudslinging , no liberal dirt digging..
    And what this french woman was talking , maybe it was because she spoke the truth about Bush that conservatives and you refuse to see ?
    What you propably also refuse to see that we in Europe are better informed about American politics than most of the American people, just because our media are more based on facts and not political fabrications
    But I am sure that you have something about this..
    This only proves my point more and more that some americans rather slander people like a parrot because every body does than find your own truth, because that can hurt..
  • gracious43 DutchHe... 2011/08/13 11:20:19
    gracious43
    +1
    America is my country, Its constitution was founded on freedom to express any opinion you or I want to express either by speech or by pen. I might not agree with what you say, but I will defend until death your right to say it.
  • DutchHe... gracious43 2011/08/13 11:38:15 (edited)
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    Dear Gracious, this mudslinging thing has nothing to do with freedom of expression or freedom of speech..it has to do with lack of decency and good maners..
    Lots of times I encounter people with whom it not possible to have a decent discussion because they start to insult me right after I show to dissagree wit them..
    As you know, a discussion can be closed with agreeing to disagree but this happened to me only a few times ..
  • gracious43 DutchHe... 2011/08/13 14:45:11
    gracious43
    +1
    "mudslinging" has everything to do with freedom of expression and freedom of speech. I don't chose the opportunity to engage in it, due to my also granted freedom of religion; but I recognize the rights of people who do.

Also, the term "Mudslinging" is extremely subjective. What you might call "Mudslinging" , your opponent in an arguement probably calls "an honest truth, that you need to hear,"

You might not think that informing me that a young chit from Paris knows more about American politics than most Americans, is a serious, and rude slur. If I were a gambling woman, I would lay some serious money down that most Americans would think you were slinging mud in our faces.
  • DutchHe... gracious43 2011/08/13 14:58:46
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    I am slinging mud ? where ??
    Because I speak the truth ?
    You can acuse me of being a liar in my satements I have put down here, but you can never prove it ..
    And to my personal opinion : mudslinging is antisocial and shows a poor upbringing, but if you do not agree I am perfectly allright wit that, it is your choice..
  • gracious43 DutchHe... 2011/08/13 15:41:12
    gracious43
    +1
    You don't consider telling Americans that a twenty-something European girl knows more about American policy than we do is rude? Okay, then you have to accept the fact that Americans don't consider the same things they say to be rude either.

I have a pretty impervious outer layer of hide, but you have said plenty of things on this blog alone, that are construed as "mudslinging"

These have been your talking points:

"And what this french woman was talking , maybe it was because she spoke the truth about Bush that conservatives and you refuse to see ?"
    ---That is a direct slur against me, that I was stubbornly refusing to agree with a young French woman that knew more than me.

"What you propably also refuse to see that we in Europe are better informed about American politics than most of the American people, just because our media are more based on facts and not political fabrications."
    ---That is a slur against not just all Americans, but our journalists and reporters who report the news.

"Republicans Tea Baggers Conservatives and scattered Idiots who can only parrot the words from the three groups I mentioned first, try anything and everything to make him trip or make it impossible to do his job."
    ---Name-calling is also a "mudslinging" technique. Also claiming that...

These have been your talking points:

---Name-calling is also a "mudslinging" technique. Also claiming that members of the "Tea Bag party are delibrately trying to make Prez Obama trip, or sabatoge his efforts is "mudslinging"

"This has to do with common decency a virtue that American Conservatives, Teabaggers and Republicans obviously do not possess.."
    ---Accusing American Conservatives, Members of the Tea Bag Party and all Republicans of lacking common decency is "mudslinging."

Have you ever heard me trash your Nation's leaders? or the people of your nation? Have I ever told you that Americans knows more than the people of the Netherlands do about their own policies? Have I ever called any of your people idiots? or accused them of delibrately sabotaging your leaders? Have I ever saod that your news reporters of delibrately lying to you, and that you blindly believed them, or you refused to see the truth? Have I ever accused anyone in your country of lacking common decency?

What would you think about me, if I said those kinds of things about your people?
  • DutchHe... gracious43 2011/08/13 16:44:15 (edited)
  • ken DutchHe... 2011/08/13 11:35:22
    ken
    +2
    So you see? You know nothing of American politics. Or Americans in general. If you in Europe are so smart and so much better, why are your countries failing economically and politically? Why are so many of you coming to America to study and to live? Why do you all ask for our military might to protect you from the rest of the world? I'd like to cut our military around the world, starting with the closing of all our bases in a Europe that doesn't like us anyway.
  • DutchHe... ken 2011/08/13 12:01:42
  • ken DutchHe... 2011/08/13 12:11:41
    ken
    +2
    I'm sure you're really capable of protecting yourselves. That was proven in the news recently from within.
  • DutchHe... ken 2011/08/13 12:25:34
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    get lost, you are an idiot, stay to the topic !!!
  • ken DutchHe... 2011/08/14 02:16:15
    ken
    +1
    Yes. You're a chump, chump.
  • DutchHe... ken 2011/08/14 09:09:21
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    thanks for proving my point
  • Cold Warrior 2011/08/12 19:45:28 (edited)
    Cold Warrior
    +3
    At least someone would finally take responsibility for the mess Obama has created. Yep after almost 3 years in office (and until recently complete democratic control of congress since 2006) its ALLLLL Obama now.

Almost a trillion in stimulus, borrowed from Communist China, that got us NOTHING.
    Record home foreclosure up 47% from last year.
    National unemployment still over 9%. Real unemployment at 16% if you count the people who have given up "hope" of finding a job and dropped out.
    Almost 40 million, a record number of people on food stamps.
    A record Federal deficit to top $14 TRILLION.

And our proudest moment yet, the first ever down grade of the American credit rating.

But the liberal propaganda machine tells us this is the fault of Citizens who demand the Federal government stop spending money we don't have and actually live within a budget. Another pathetic attempt by progressive liberals to divert attention from the real problem, which is the failed social justice policies and out of control spending of democrats. But hey why would Obama take responsibility when he can blame somebody else! Just slap a label on them! Tea-baggers, Koch-suckers, radicals, terrorists, KKKer's, racists, fascists... and remember its all Bushes fault anyway!

kock-suckers radicals terrorists kkkers racists fascists remember bushes fault
  • Bronti Cold Wa... 2011/08/12 21:37:32 (edited)
    Bronti
    I do not feel like a dumbass, but I must say, after reading your comment on why you think
    "the mess Obama has created" is his fault makes you sound like one. The HUGE deficit is a direct result of Bush/Cheney bad policies. Two wars, unregulated markets (Fannie & Freddie) and little to NO taxes on Big Oil and Mega Corporations.

Let me put it to you real simple Cold Warrior. It's like inviting someone to dinner, eating your meal and right before the check comes...you get up and walk out.
  • ken Cold Wa... 2011/08/12 22:27:41
    ken
    +3
    LOL. Hope and a dream, that's all Obama has ever been able to offer. Kind of hard to pay the bills on a hope and a dream. I'm about ready for some change, how about you?
  • Mr.Steve 2011/08/12 19:44:16
  • wombat 2011/08/12 19:15:17
    wombat
    +2
    I blame Obama for not kicking butt last time. He start to get foolish creating consensus with hyenas. Wasting money on Libya was also not the greatest deal.
  • ken wombat 2011/08/12 22:31:09
    ken
    +3
    Don't mention Libya around this bunch. That's a bit of a sore subject to the pacifist progressives here on sodahead. They'd rather pretend it ain't happening just like all the other screw ups the great pretender has had since taking office.
  • wombat ken 2011/08/13 01:02:35
    wombat
    Well I just dont see any reason to spend money on war in any case especially if we have to deal with a deficit. A military budget at 60% of the entire budget is something I would change first in this economy.. What then really blows my mind is that the rich not only get the big chunk of the taxes while they dont pay any.
  • lyle 2011/08/12 18:42:03
    lyle
    +4
    hey big brother....we are the people.....
  • Giantfan 2011/08/12 18:30:42
    Giantfan
    +4
    Who cares who's fault it is. The USA has been going down the tubes since Reagan. Maybe it's China's turn to lead and put up with all the aggravations the world has to offer.
  • Hawkeye Giantfan 2011/08/12 18:46:43
    Hawkeye
    +2
    Reagan??

WHAT happened to Carter...The President that created such a mess and such a turmoil that they HAD to come up with a WHOLE NEW TERM..

"MISERY INDEX"....

2014/09/18 17:47:11