Are "Voter ID" laws the wrong way to fight voter fraud?

Roger47 2012/03/08 03:49:51
Yes.  Voter ID laws are the wrong way to go.  Use thumbprints.
No.  Voter ID laws are the way to go.
Other
Nobody should be able to vote if they are not legally qualified to vote. But everyone who is registered and is legally eligible must be able to vote. Now that some states have "voter ID" laws in place, we are seeing cases where people are unable to get the ID needed to vote. Just yesterday, an 86 year old veteran was denied the right to vote because his VA ID did not meet the requirements of Ohio's new law.
There is a better way, thumbprint ID. For registered voters without a government issued photo ID, why not let them vote, as long as they are willing to leave a thumbprint so their identification can be proven in the event of any allegation of fraud?
This will have the dual benefits of creating absolute proof of who voted, and it will discourage anyone from voting under another person's ID, because the thumbprint they leave behind is the equivalent of a confession. It will also guard against one person with multiple ID voting multiple times if the thumbprints are always scanned by computer to screen for fraud, and would result in the discovery of felons voting who are ineligible. When you think about it, a vote or two will almost never make a difference in the outcome of an election. Who would be willing to leave a thumbprint behind when their fraudulent voe is unlikely to make any difference?
Best of all? Everyone who is registered to vote will be able to vote and have their vote count!

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/03/06/439324...

• A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader 2012/07/11 02:53:34 (edited)
    Yes. Voter ID laws are the wrong way to go. Use thumbprints.
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    +1
    If Illegals and others are trying to vote fraudulently using dead persons' Social Security numbers, as these nutjobs claim, then they can just as easily get birth certificates with the dead persons' name on them to get photo IDs, then they can cast fraudulent votes using those IDs, rendering the voter ID law worthless at combating voter fraud. I guess the nutjobs' primary argument for voter fraud shoots their justification for wanting voter ID laws in the foot. Oops. Also, if Republicans were genuinely concerned with fighting voter fraud, wouldn't they have rallied to end those robocalls spreading misinformation, regarding voting, such as telling them "Republicans vote on Tuesday, Democrats vote on Wednesday", "If you voted in the primary, you don't need to vote again", or "Your voting precinct has been relocated"? Because this deceptive misinformation being given out is, by definition, fraud. And if it pertains to voting, it is voter fraud. Why aren't the Republicans cracking down on this type of voter fraud?
  • Zach 2012/04/12 14:36:58
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Zach
    So we don't get the dead and Disney characters voting like in the last election. ID isn't hard to get nor is it something only rich white men can afford. You drive, you need ID in the form of your license, if you want to buy boose or smokes you need ID.
  • Viet Era medic 2012/03/09 02:07:14
    Viet Era medic
    +1
    BUT I think the thumbprint should only be used for those without drivers licenses or state approved ID's. (for those without licenses) Without those, nobody should be allowed to vote. SIMPLE.
    Don't ask me for a thumbprint if I have a license...
  • Roger47 Viet Er... 2012/03/09 21:48:55
    Roger47
    +2
    Exactly. ID's are best, but requiring them from everybody means some eligible oters will not be able to vote. Thumbprint would only be for those without ID. If you don't want to be thumbprinted, get an ID. But if it is too hard to get one, and you care enough about voting that you are willing to give a thumbprint, you can do so.
  • Chef Bunyan 2012/03/09 00:07:18
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Chef Bunyan
    I have mine! And I have NO PROBLEM showing it when I vote! I have a BIG PROBLEM with those who piss and moan about having to have one!
  • Murph 2012/03/08 20:23:01
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Murph
    +3
    It's the cheapest, easiest, fastest way to do it. Most people already have a driver's license or state issued I.D. card.
  • Mr Wayne 2012/03/08 18:49:31
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Mr Wayne
    +4
    No one is fingerprinting me unless I'm under arrest.
  • jbarelli1 Mr Wayne 2012/08/01 16:43:01
    jbarelli1
    +3
    Thumbprint identification should be an option, but not the only option. You should also have the option of using a state-issued photo ID. But, for some folks, even the apparently minor expense of getting that ID is a major obstacle. Adding a thumbprint option removes that objection, while still addressing the concern about possible fraud.
  • OPOA912 2012/03/08 18:02:25
    OPOA912
    I voted yes because I think any method is better than what we have now.
  • gary 2012/03/08 14:17:20
  • jbarelli1 gary 2012/08/01 16:44:49
    jbarelli1
    +1
    In many cases, the "something" is an ink-stain on the thumb. Why not have an option of using a thumbprint as identification? If the goal is to prevent fraud (rather than suppress the vote of poor people), that would solve the problem.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/08 12:44:15
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    It is quicker and easier to examine a photo ID.
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2012/03/08 12:24:21
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +7
    You have to show ID to cash a check, board an Airplane, rent a car. sign any legal document. Why not when you vote?
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/03/08 12:19:29
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Elaine Magliacane
    +4
    It's STEP one, step TWO require PROOF of citizenship to register to vote... too many ILLEGAL ALIENS at the polls... why else would the Democrats care about them.
  • Roger47 Elaine ... 2012/03/08 21:19:15
    Roger47
    +1
    There is no evidence of illegals voting. When people register, they have to provide proof they are citizens. The Registrar then confirms the proof before the person is eligible.
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/03/08 06:03:19
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +6
    A grown ass person, in order to function in this world, needs to have a government issued photo ID. From cashing a check, to receiving government benefits, to being asked for ID by the authorities, and so on and so forth, an adult needs a government issued photo ID in order to function. The fact that there are a handful of people out there that do not have one, well, if they want to vote in many states, now they will need to get a state photo ID, or a U.S. Passport. The state photo ID will either be free, or cost a nominal fee. The argument that it is a big trial and tribulation to get a government issued photo ID is all smoke and mirrors. Especially when you consider the people complaining are the ones who have made it necessary.
  • Roger47 Brian T... 2012/03/08 06:19:56
  • Brian T... Roger47 2012/03/08 07:28:26
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +2
    She needs to get a lawyer, and get her state issued ID in order to vote. Plain and simple. The county reassessed my house, and now I will have to get a lawyer to go and fight the ridiculous value they assessed the property for; lawyers are needed when things get complicated, so they can expedite the process, that is how things are today. And there is nothing new under the sun here. Laws get changed, and if you are not "grandfathered in" you have to comply with the law. Whether it is to take a class to get a concealed permit for a firearm, or a hunting license, or to get farm equipment licensed if you are going to use public roads at any point.

Do I feel bad for Dorothy Cooper? Sure, it is a pain in the ass. But if Rachel can have her on her show, Rachel can also make sure Mrs. Cooper has a lawyer to straighten the matter out, so she can vote in November.

It should also be pointed out that the people crying foul over photo ID being needed, belong to the party that has made such a thing necessary. Do you know how many dead people voted in the last presidential election? How about how many people who voted in the last presidential election who were ineligible to vote (felons, non-citizens, and so on). I think those numbers would shock you.
  • Roger47 Brian T... 2012/03/08 21:23:44
    Roger47
    +1
    I have heard that there is little evidence of voter fraud. It is mostly hype by Republicans so they can pass laws making it less likely the poor will vote. The real problem is electronic voting machines, which can be hacked. They are designed to leave no evidenca when that happens. If your state does not use paper ballots, your vote may not count, or may count double, depending on who is doing the hacking. Are you old enough to remember exit polls? they used to be very accurate. When electronic voting machines replaced paper ballots, suddenly the results were different than the polling.
  • Brian T... Roger47 2012/03/08 21:44:19
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    It is common knowledge that voting in this country is rife with all kinds of manipulation, fraud, and other dirty tricks. Blaming Republicans for making it all up is at best delusional. If you actually think there is not funny business going on with voting, I am not sure what to tell you.

The charge that requiring ID is trying to go after the poor is just another class warfare tactic. If a poor person wants to collect government benefits, guess what they need? The same thing. If a poor person wants a gun permit (like voting, also a right), guess what they need? The same thing.

Electronic voting machines are a reality because of two Democrat controlled counties in Florida. And much like shady doings with voting, yet another Democrat tactic, the problem is being addressed. If you want to blame the way the problem is being dealt with, that is fine, but do not skip over WHO created the problem.

Exit polls? Well lets think abou this for a second. People do not trust politicians. People trust the media even less. And People trust pollsters even less than politicians and the media. Exit polls do not match because people do not give the pollsters accurate information. Furthermore, who you vote for is your personal business, and some pollster hack has no right to know what y...

Exit polls? Well lets think abou this for a second. People do not trust politicians. People trust the media even less. And People trust pollsters even less than politicians and the media. Exit polls do not match because people do not give the pollsters accurate information. Furthermore, who you vote for is your personal business, and some pollster hack has no right to know what you did in the voting booth.

Lets not play games with the issue. If you are who you say you are, you will have a government issued photo ID to verify that. And grown ass people use their government issued photo ID all the time for everyday activities, so lets not act like it is some great burden to acquire a government issued photo ID, because it is not. Furthermore, if someone is going to be required to have a government issued photo ID in November, then they have 9 months to get one, and they should be well aware they are going to need one.
  • Chef Bu... Brian T... 2012/03/09 00:10:15
    Chef Bunyan
    +1
    Well said Brian!
  • Brian T... Chef Bu... 2012/03/09 05:41:41
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    Thanks. I am amazed at people trying to say that monkey business with votes is made up, and then go into some rant about electronic voting machines, a Republican scheme of course, IS THE PROBLEM, when it is two of their own counties in Florida that brought it on. I have been around long enough to remember the unions giving the day of to some workers, so they could vote, and vote multiple times, and it was something that was talked about.
  • Murph Roger47 2012/03/08 20:26:52
    Murph
    +1
    She has all my sympathy, but It's nobody's fault but her own that she can't find her marriage certificate.
  • jbarelli1 Brian T... 2012/08/01 16:50:51
    jbarelli1
    +2
    No, many "grown ass persons" don't need photo IDs in order to function. They don't drive, don't cash checks anywhere but at the bank they've banked with for decades, and signing a legal contract does not require a photo ID.

Give people the option of using a thumbprint. Add that as an acceptable form of identification and most of the objections to the voter ID laws would evaporate.

Of course, those of us that object to voter IDs think that the real goal is to keep poor people from voting. Thumbprints are free to the voter, so won't work to suppress the vote.

So, what's the real object? Prevent fraud, or suppress legitimate votes?
  • Brian T... jbarelli1 2013/01/05 09:09:18
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    Prevent fraud, period.

A photo i.d. is not an unreasonable thing for a person to have to vote. Furthermore, most states have made obtaining one free for non-drivers.

A legitimate voter should readily be able to obtain a photo i.d. without much difficulty, and it should actually be easier to get a photo i.d. than it is to vote.

So what is the issue? Oh yes, voter suppression. Considering the amount of people who are not even citizens that have voted in the past 20 years, considering the number of dead people that have been voting for a century, it is high time that some form of proving your identity is required.

No one who can legitimately vote should have any problem getting a photo i.d.
  • Steve J~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/08 05:57:13
    Other
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    I need an ID to board a plane.

I need an ID to buy drugs that everyone else can't. (Well, granted I only use one drug, beer.)

Is this country special enough to require an ID to be part of? Or is it just ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • Roger47 Steve J... 2012/03/08 06:21:00
    Roger47
    Should Dorothy Cooper be able to vote?
    http://www.bradblog.com/?p=8829
  • Steve J... Roger47 2012/03/08 06:23:47
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    She can.
  • Murph Roger47 2012/03/08 20:28:23
    Murph
    +1
    She is able to vote. She just has to come up with the same I.D. everyone else has to (unless you're running for President)
  • JoeBlo 2012/03/08 05:01:37 (edited)
    Other
    JoeBlo
    +2
    No law is worth a crap if it's not enforced, violators prosecuted, convicted, sentenced, serve their time and deported if applicable.

See: Federal immigration laws
  • Steve J... JoeBlo 2012/03/08 06:14:09 (edited)
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    OH, come on just passing a law, gives one a salary increase and bonus.

That IS the Political way!!!

Gets you reelected and much more sloth at the troth!!!!!!!
  • Danny Barker 2012/03/08 04:47:52
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    Danny Barker
    +3
    it not a bother for me.then tell your congress man if it is a
  • ruru 2012/03/08 04:44:47 (edited)
    No. Voter ID laws are the way to go.
    ruru
    +3
    Voters should have to show a picture I.D. before they vote. State I.D.'s are easy to come by and there is no excuse for not having one to vote. If people can't show enough initiative to get a state I.D., they probably wouldn't have enough initiative to educate themselves about the issues and candidates.
  • Roger47 ruru 2012/03/08 05:07:24
  • Steve J... Roger47 2012/03/08 06:16:43
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    She voted and it was accepted.
  • Roger47 Steve J... 2012/03/08 06:24:30 (edited)
  • Steve J... Roger47 2012/03/08 06:26:07
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    So, he made a choice. Is that bad?
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/03/08 04:29:55 (edited)
    Other
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    When I was born, my footprint was taken; it's on my Birth Certificate. 26 years later my daughter's footpriint was taken in the same hospital; it's on her Birth Certificate. Are footprints as reliable as fingerprints (parts of them anyway)?

If so, perhaps the footprint on the day of birth could be imprinted so it couldn't be copied.

That and a Voter ID might work.

Voter fraud makes a mockery out of citizenship. We must stop it. And I believe "We the People" are the only ones who CAN stop it. Rely on Congress? Don't make me laugh. Rely on Obama? I won't dignify that with a laugh.
  • Roger47 jubil8 ... 2012/03/08 05:08:04
  • jubil8 ... Roger47 2012/03/08 08:04:10
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    I've seen similar stories. They mostly affect women, who are most likely to have had a name change.

Naturally a little common sense could be applied. Does anyone really think that a 96-yo woman who's been voting for 70+ years is an illegal immigrant? If so, she's to be congratulated for hiding so well in plain sight so ICE couldn't find her.

I hope someone in each state where this kind of insane law has been passed will step up to advocate for these people. It makes me sick that some of my fellow countrymen can behave so badly to others.

2014/09/01 08:15:50