Are 'stand your ground' laws costing Americans their lives?

ϟMöpvytöϟ 2012/04/08 10:01:41
Are stand your ground laws costing Americans their lives

• Jimbo 2012/04/08 11:25:47
    Jimbo
    +5
    Nearly 20 unarmed men were shot and killed in FL opposed to less than 5 annually before the Jeb Bush stand your ground self defense became law. Zimmerman obviously was in no mortal danger, lied about a broken nose and lumped head slammed on the concrete. The video an hour later at the police station tells the story of an aggressor that got away with murder using a mortal danger self defense to walk.

• Ghostwolf1968 2012/04/26 12:07:45
    Ghostwolf1968
    If the Shannon was carrying concealed he would have at least had a better chance to avoid the fate that awaited him and his girlfriend. A armed Nation is a safe nation just like a armed citizen is a safe citizen. Don't believe me look at the statistics in Montana you very seldom hear of any crimes because over 75% of it's citizens are armed, if a criminal thinks a person is armed they are far less willing to rob them and find out.

Gun owners

Armed Citizens

2nd Amm Rights
  • Old Timer 2012/04/09 10:50:00
    Old Timer
    Right to keep and bear arms. Physically threaten me or my family and meet Mr Baretta.
  • Snowball 2012/04/09 01:54:08 (edited)
    Snowball
    Even without the stand your ground law- couldn't just about anyone claim the same thing- simple self defense- and get away with it? There must be more facts for Zinnerman to have not gotten arrested. Even with the law, it doesn't give someone the right to shoot someone under any perceived threat. The problem here is not a shred different than the Kacey Anthony hearings were they simply couldn't prove anything b/c there were no witnesses to contradict the story that was given. Hopefully though the physical evidence will be enough to see if Zinnerman is telling the truth about the altercation. Seems to me George was lucky Travon wasn't carrying a gun or else George would be dead. It really depends on how many people are using the law to harrass others.
  • Gregaj7 2012/04/09 01:04:59
    Apparently, as far as you're concerned.
  • ACE 2012/04/08 22:09:44
    ACE
    not Americans just criminals
  • bill 2012/04/08 16:15:42
    bill
    +2
    Christopher newsom How come there is no outrage for these animals????????????????
  • rustysh... bill 2012/04/08 17:55:51
  • registe... bill 2012/04/09 21:22:27
    registeredNYer
    This is heinous! However it looks like the perpetrators have all been sent up the river some time ago. I cant say why their alleged leader is still free perhaps a lack of evidence...
    But Im responding to your post because, I can troll the net with the best of em would you like me to dig up the most recent group of white thugs who beat or murdered a black person? What purpose does this serve. People are people... it's not racial its social our society provides the conditions for people who are so inclined to commit horrible acts against their neighbor. Your distracted from the issue as I see it. A murderer is loose in Fl and I want him arrested before his next crime, so far its been domestic disturbance, graduated to battery against his girlfriend, then a police officer, now finally the real killing has begun. So are we waiting for him to walk into a crowded store and open up with some heavy metal kill some folk you may actually give a damn about?
  • bill registe... 2012/04/10 03:37:23
    bill
    i understand how you feel and I'm with you on the issue of murder! My point is the racial spectacle that this issue has become and in my opinion murder is not black nor is it white murder is murder!!!!!!!!!!! I only posted that because of the graphic nature and senselessness with no coverage. I hope Zimmerman see's his day in court cause that also was very senseless!
  • registe... bill 2012/04/10 05:02:21
    registeredNYer
    Fair enough Bill, and I agree this thing has turned into a spectacle the white against black / privileged v common... There are many examples of the evil people are capable of perpetrating against each other. 10's of thousands of whites die at the hands of white killers same for black people ever see Hotel Rwanda? it's unbelievable what people can and will do under the right or wrong circumstances. I feel like I have a responsibility to remain focused. Race, religion, perceived social status, these are some of the tools used to keep people from seeing the real adversary.
  • Sgt Major B 2012/04/08 15:32:46
    Sgt Major B
    +2
    It merely offers the average citizen the opportunity to protect him or herself. Waiting 10 minutes for law enforcement to show up after a 911 call fails the common sense test.
  • DuncanONeil 2012/04/08 15:12:47
    DuncanONeil
    +1
    But that depends on how you define "costs lives". Does a person threatening to take a life have any right to presume that theirs has more value and should be spared?
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/04/08 15:02:26
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    Sure sounds like it, when the aggressors are claiming that they are standing their ground and they are the ones doing the attacking
  • les_gvt 2012/04/08 14:38:46
    les_gvt
    +2
    Because there are not enough states to have them implemented, and because too few Americans are willing to defend themselves.

Stand your ground needs to be better promoted and expanded, that way criminals everywhere will understand they might be the ones to die
  • Ira 2012/04/08 14:08:52
    Ira
    +1
    Obviously. IMO, if you use the law to justify your killing of someone, then, you should be arrested, booked, released on bond and go before a grand jury. If they do not find sufficient evidence to hold you over to trial, then your case is resolved. WHen there is no witness-which is unreliable-how can we blindly accept the word of the only living person at the scene carte blanche?
  • Rick Ira 2012/04/08 17:19:50
    Rick
    What's the persons past criminal history? That would be enough for me in the no witness clause.
  • Ira Rick 2012/04/08 17:21:18
    Ira
    Past history is no guarantee of future performance.
  • Someone Else 2012/04/08 14:05:51
    Someone Else
    +1
    Sure you get in my face and threaten me I'll stand my ground and plant you in it, I love the second amendment and the stand my ground law in my state it's called the "Make My Day" law and I'm all for it.
  • Jane Someone... 2012/04/08 20:16:05
    Jane
    How many people have you actually killed?
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/04/08 13:56:00
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    There has been many more cases than this,could be many thousands. This law needs to be changed.
  • santa6642 2012/04/08 13:55:46
    santa6642
    +2
    they are protecting Americans, I will not back down if I know I can and will win.Dead criminals can't testify.No need for 911.
  • Whizzy santa6642 2012/04/09 00:45:03
    Whizzy
    Dead innocent people can't testify either.
  • Timetraveler 2012/04/08 13:41:49
    Timetraveler
    +2
    what costs americans their lives is the criminals intent to do harm, and the knowledge that under our system of laws, which we call the criminal justice system its not weather he is guilty or not, but rather his rights were never violated. The victim loses every time, if not on the scene, then in the court.
  • JAKE~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/08 13:36:49
    JAKE~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    They are saving law-abiding American lives.
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/04/08 13:02:44
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +3
    But they do cost a lot of criminals their lives. But you liberals have always bitched about ua being able to protect ourselves. Remember it may be the fault of a person but it's not the fault of the law or the gun. texas don t dial 911 texas don t dial 911
  • Headhunter 13 2012/04/08 12:54:38
    Headhunter 13
    +4
    They are allowing people to defend themselves. Stop trying this case on the internet and in the media. That is what we have courts for
  • KoAm 2012/04/08 12:51:54
    KoAm
    +2
    Mainly criminals' lives.

How many innocent people's lives these laws may have saved, the liberal media will never tell us.
  • ed 2012/04/08 11:44:08
    ed
    +4
    No we could look at this as are we safe any where?Things happen that are beyond our control.Look at the deaths we have from people killing at our schools or at work.
  • Jimbo 2012/04/08 11:25:47
    Jimbo
    +5
  • DuncanO... Jimbo 2012/04/08 15:33:59
    DuncanONeil
    You are fabricating your data! Between 1998 & 2010 the average deaths by handgun in FL is 393, NOT FIVE! And that is only an accounting of those MURDERED by handguns.

Why do you find it so necessary to lie?

Yeah the doctored video aired by NBC! Guess the truth will out.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/C...
  • Wolf 2012/04/08 10:35:28
    Wolf
    +4
    Only criminals are threatened by this law...seems strange that criminals are praised in this society not the victims of crimes...maybe that is why we have a failed and bankrupt state...
  • aneed2know Wolf 2012/04/08 10:49:33
    aneed2know
    +2
    Why don't you tell em what crime the kid did? is walking in America a crime now?
  • Rusty Bubbles 2012/04/08 10:11:14
    Rusty Bubbles
    +1
    Try looking at it like the same way nature tends to thin the herds
  • ϟMöpvytöϟ Rusty B... 2012/04/08 10:26:43
    ϟMöpvytöϟ
    +5
    People that think the way you do are a shame and disgrace.
  • Rusty B... ϟMöpvytöϟ 2012/04/08 10:31:29
    Rusty Bubbles
    oh
  • aneed2know Rusty B... 2012/04/08 10:50:26
    aneed2know
    +3
    i usually refrain from calling people racist without proof, but this comment is proof that you are a racist. Maybe some one should thin the heard and start with you.
  • Rusty B... aneed2know 2012/04/08 10:56:59
    Rusty Bubbles
    +3
    What was racist about my comment?

Are you attempting to imply that the "Sand you ground" law was implemented strictly as a black vs white thing?

Let me clue you in a little here Spanky. When I go to a family reunion there's a rainbow of color there....Red, White, Black, and Yellow....no brown yet, but my niece is working on that.

How about you......or are you just all mouth?
  • Jimbo Rusty B... 2012/04/08 11:22:08
    Jimbo
    +3
    Lets me clue you in Butch, Spanky kicked his ass. Could give 2 scheists about your family. Cain knocked blacks as dumb, being black does not exhonerate him.

Racist perhaps not, stupid for sure. I am the alpha dog with the piece killing the unarmed kid is not thinning the herd via survival of the fittest, it is murder. We are humans with free will and value for the life of our fellow man. Your comment just shows an off the wall mentality with a severe lack of commity.
  • Rusty B... Jimbo 2012/04/08 11:29:35
    Rusty Bubbles
    +1
    You're allowed an opinion, as misguided and shallow as it may be
  • aneed2know Rusty B... 2012/04/09 04:58:14
    aneed2know
    This comment, " Try looking at it like the same way nature tends to thin the herds"

2014/09/02 01:50:58