Are Republicans on average more educated or less educated than Democrats?

Sterling 2012/03/12 19:29:07
Republicans are less educated than Democrats
Republicans are more educated than Democrats
There IS a right answer, but I'm more interested in what YOU think.

• crltn lomis 2012/09/18 20:56:23
    crltn lomis
    According to the polls i have seen the backbone of the Repblican party is white,male,less educated than their Democratic counter part. A good example of this would be the thousans of nascar fans that booed the first lady when she attemped to introduce a disabled war veteran a a race.
  • DM Twin 2012/03/24 17:47:58 (edited)
  • alphe512 2012/03/24 15:05:44 (edited)
    alphe512
    I read your con on con argument and made my decision! A liberal at least probably would have took you at your word and not accused you for being a liberal just for asking a simple question that gives obvious choices.I'm not arguing here just stating an opinion based on what I see and hear here and elsewhere when it comes to conservative thinking on a host of subjects! If cons do go to college they don't seem to care to show it much!
  • Sterling alphe512 2012/03/24 16:50:20
    Sterling
    Ya it was a strange thing to have happen to be honest. Don't think I've ever been accused of being a liberal before. All I wanted from this question was to know what people thought, and I found it interesting that most people didn't think Republicans were more educated. I'm gonna dump a bunch of data on here now but it's only because I'm not sure how to edit the question so I can put it in the description lol.

This graph shows the actual education rate:

http://images.sodahead.com/pr...

Here’re some 1990 Gallup poll numbers relating education to political affiliation:

Rep = Republican
    Dem = Democrat
    Ind = Independent/Unaffiliated

Grade school education:
    23.4% Rep, 54.6% Dem, 22.5% Ind

Some High School:
    22.8% Rep, 51.3% Dem, 26.0% Ind

High School Grad:
    29.4% Rep, 40.5% Dem, 30.2% Ind

Some College and/or Tech:
    36.0% Rep, 35.0% Dem, 29.3% Ind

College Grad:
    42.0% Rep, 30.7% Dem, 27.7% Ind

What that basically shows is that the more educated you are the less likely you are to be a Democrat. I just think that's interesting because you wouldn't ever think that from watching Jon Stewart or many of the news shows out there. That's pretty amazing considering that only 10% of college professors identify themselves as Republicans, and Democratic professors could be lazy graders (to be fair though, I don't...

http://images.sodahead.com/pr...

Rep = Republican
    Dem = Democrat
    Ind = Independent/Unaffiliated

Grade school education:
    23.4% Rep, 54.6% Dem, 22.5% Ind

Some High School:
    22.8% Rep, 51.3% Dem, 26.0% Ind

High School Grad:
    29.4% Rep, 40.5% Dem, 30.2% Ind

Some College and/or Tech:
    36.0% Rep, 35.0% Dem, 29.3% Ind

College Grad:
    42.0% Rep, 30.7% Dem, 27.7% Ind

What that basically shows is that the more educated you are the less likely you are to be a Democrat. I just think that's interesting because you wouldn't ever think that from watching Jon Stewart or many of the news shows out there. That's pretty amazing considering that only 10% of college professors identify themselves as Republicans, and Democratic professors could be lazy graders (to be fair though, I don't think that this chart could give you an accurate depiction of the entire education system, it would be nice to see them do further research on it though.)

http://images.sodahead.com/pr...

http://economix.blogs.nytimes...
  • alphe512 Sterling 2012/03/24 23:15:37
    alphe512
    You have anything more recent than info from 20 some odd years ago? A look at the post above this one and I would beg to differ!
  • Sterling alphe512 2012/03/25 19:37:18
    Sterling
    If you look at the first link it was from 2004. You won't see any significant change from then, and I'm sure if we were to look for more recent research similar to the gallup poll from 1990 and the numbers would say the same thing. Both parties have about the same amount of intellectuals (not to be confused with intelligent people), but I think that the the Republican party is as a whole much more intelligent than the Democratic party. People prove there are stupid people in all parties, and you can't judge a party based on their "intelligence," it's a flawed premise

You can't ever disagree with someone simply because they are a simpleton. You can only disagree with them if the facts are on your side, and not theirs. Their I.Q. actually has little to do with this, as brilliant people have proved they can be just as wrong as stupid people, and stupid people can be just as right as "brilliant" people. If, however, you claim intellectual superiority, as the Democrats always do, you should at the very least have some way of backing that up with facts (as anyone who is truly intelligent will). My point is not to invalidate the Democratic party's policies here, it is simply to address them calling their opponents unintelligent. The facts don't lie.
  • Darkitec 2012/03/13 02:42:56
    Darkitec
    +1
    Educated and indoctrination are completely different. Many in Hollyweird, and other liberal meccas are all for democrats. There are poverty stricken people that ironically think that government is bias against them and then buy into the idea that government can and should do everything for them. I've met about as many liberal wacko democrats as I've met extremist religious republicans. Education does not mean intelligent.
  • Sterling Darkitec 2012/03/13 03:05:42
    Sterling
    Good point sir.
  • Elephant Lord 2012/03/12 22:58:27
    Elephant Lord
    Define "educated".
  • Sterling Elephan... 2012/03/13 00:59:38
    Sterling
    +1
    educated

Definition

ed·u·cat·ed[ éjjə kàytəd ]ADJECTIVE
    1. well taught: having had a good education
    "This is the writing of an educated person."
    2. cultured: showing good taste or refinement
    "a quiet educated manner"
    3. knowledgeable: having the benefit of experience or knowledge
    "an educated opinion"
    "cast an educated eye over the antiques"
  • Elephan... Sterling 2012/03/13 05:59:15
    Elephant Lord
    If you mean education as in schooling, than they're better educated, because the GOP is generally the party of the upper-class. However, a lot of Cons I've meat seem to be pretty ignorant, so I guess it depends on the individual.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/03/12 21:32:56
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    Republicans think they are smarter
    however the truth is that they go to the same schools
    http://webstation19.8k.com/ed...
    and
    http://webstation19.8k.com/re...
    republicans smarter truth schools httpwebstation19 8k comed httpwebstation19 8k comre
  • lm1b2 2012/03/12 21:08:14 (edited)
    lm1b2
    Educated I don't know,definitely wealthier. You really can't make a true determination because of the numbers,their are a lot more democrats then republicans,the poor,and most of the middle class are democrats,or democrat in their leanings.
  • Robtbal 2012/03/12 20:25:59
    Robtbal
    +1
    Look where Obama's most loyal voting constituency lives....urban areas with the highest dropout rates of anywhere....Same base as the democrats.....
  • Roger47 2012/03/12 20:15:17
    Roger47
    Either Republicans are less educated, or they just think less. More Democrats believe in facts, and more Republicans believe things that are false.
    facts have a liberal bias
  • Doreen 2012/03/12 19:50:53
    Doreen
    This is just another attack from one party on another. Is this stupid question solving anything? Both parties ask this question about one another and all it does is fuel hate and anger that some people of each party allow themselves to harbor. QUIT playing the blame game and act like mature adults not immature preschool children. Sterling, I am not attacking you personally I am talking about this question that has been asked by both parties over and over.
  • Sterling Doreen 2012/03/13 01:35:11
    Sterling
    I honestly just wanted to see what people on sodahead thought. There is a correct answer but that doesn't mean one party is superior because of the education difference.
  • Ron 2012/03/12 19:49:43
    Ron
  • crltn l... Ron 2012/09/18 21:04:30
    crltn lomis
    +1
    Most teachers and proffessors are Democratic Wouldn't that skew the results?
  • Mr Wayne 2012/03/12 19:45:48
    Mr Wayne
    About equal, Republicans are just less likely to spit out the phrase, "Well, I went to COLLEGE...".
  • Sport_G... Mr Wayne 2012/03/12 20:15:15 (edited)
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    In my line of work I have had to deal with the "alleged" educated college degree'd people. I don't know what their political affiliation is but just because they have a degree doesnt mean they are educated. I have seen hundreds of college degrees that were backed up with transcripts reflecting at 1.0 - 1.5 GPA.......thats a D - C minus average but they had a degree.
  • Mr Wayne Sport_G... 2012/03/13 13:30:24
    Mr Wayne
    Agree.
  • Savior 2012/03/12 19:43:21 (edited)
    Savior
    +1
    There actually is no right answer, because there are very ignorant people on all sides of the situation, heck there are even ignorant libertarians.

It doesn't mean that there aren't educated people that present their arguments in clear, intellectual ways.
  • voice_matters 2012/03/12 19:39:37
    voice_matters
    another sad lib thread. why is it that libs are so scared to have real discussions on the issues?
  • Sterling voice_m... 2012/03/13 00:54:51
    Sterling
    +1
    I'm a conservative.
  • voice_m... Sterling 2012/03/13 01:21:21
    voice_matters
    if you say so but yout thread shows yhou are a lib
  • Sterling voice_m... 2012/03/13 01:32:06
    Sterling
    +1
    Not really. Republicans are on average much more likely to have a degree from college. You wouldn't think that from how we are portrayed in the media though.
  • voice_m... Sterling 2012/03/13 01:40:40
    voice_matters
    if you were not a lib then would really care about what i thought. libby if you say so.
  • Sterling voice_m... 2012/03/13 02:04:48
    Sterling
    +2
    You have done well to prove there are unintelligent people in both parties.

2014/09/15 02:11:18