Are non-Spanish-speaking Americans being discriminated against? Comments, please.

MAGGIE IRISH EYES 2007/06/12 19:04:02
Have you noticed how many employment want ads state "Must speak Spanish"? Isn't that a far cry from the early 1900s when signs read: Help Wanted: Irish Need Not Apply or Help Wanted: Italians Need Not Apply? Discriminated against AGAIN (all caps).

• BrownEyedGirl 2007/10/19 00:42:46
    BrownEyedGirl
    +7
    I don't know about anybody else, but I wouldn't move someplace unless I could comfortably speak the major language. I happen to speak Spanish quite well, but still not well enough that I would be comfortable living in Mexico without taking it upon myself to improve and make sure other people didn't have to cater to me.

• Amber Proctor 2011/09/30 00:01:32
  • misskayd 2011/05/23 03:24:20
    misskayd
    +1
    I have obtained not 1 but 2 medical licenses and guess what??? I am still unemployed. and it isnt due there being no work available. IT is because all of the employers where I live, California, either say SPANISH PREFERRED (another way to say 'you need to speak spanish') and also SPANISH A MUST--Requires successful completion of the Language Resource Assistant (LRA) . You have to pass it in spanish of course. it involves, oral, reading, writing, and translation. (understandable) but not when all of the job openings are requiring you to speak spanish. why can't there just be 1 or 2 medical personnel who can do this. yes i understand there are a lot of people here who do not speak english. but you know what? I am only 2nd generation here myself i actually only speak english....I have read other comments on other links saying that the american people are lazy.....wouldnt you call those people who REFUSE to learn the spoken language of america, english, lazy!? I called the U.S. Equal Employment and Opportunity Commission and told them my problem and the lady said "it's your geographical area ( my what!? I live in California, USA), businesses and resources cater to those who do not speak english oops i mean they need to be available to those who don't speak english ( no you said it right they cater to those who REFUSE to learn the enlgish language) and then she hung up on me.
  • Kristy Burdine 2011/05/13 16:01:17
    Kristy Burdine
    In Indianapolis, IN we have a place that is only Mexicans--(illegal, I'm sure) and if you cannot speak Spanish, ( this is still an English speaking country?) then you do not get a job. I chose to get a child support debit card, (which is also used for unemployment) and when I call to get my balance--I have to "push 1 for English" I would never go to another country without learning and being fluent in their language.
  • misskayd Kristy ... 2011/05/23 18:32:33
    misskayd
    +1
    i have a question....since we offer FREE english classes so that people can learn to speak english so that they can get a job and live a better life SHOULDN'T a FREE spanish class now be offered so that we who do not speak spanish can GET a job and actually live?
  • Bilingual required sucks 2011/05/01 23:33:39
    Bilingual required sucks
    Here in Broward county Florida, we are now experiencing the exact same thing that has plagued Miami, the Cubans are moving North, and trust me these people want ALL the jobs and ALL the power. Down here "Bilingual English/Spanish" is just a smokescreen to discriminate against non-Hispanics. Yes I said it, because nobody else is, Cubans took over Miami by ELIMINATING competition for jobs, and they are doing the same now in Broward county. It is beyond idiotic for apologists to say "Well just go and learn Spanish", as if it is as easy as buying stamps at the post office. It takes YEARS, and you must have spanish people to practice with. Now my family does not speak spanish so the next thing is to go and "make" spanish friends. All to learn a foreign language to get a job in the USA?
  • Syndi 2009/09/04 20:45:57
    Syndi
    +3
    Yes I have been looked down upon by many my whole life for not speaking Spanish. Especially because I am of Latin descent.
    My Mom is Mexican and my dad was Mexican and French, but we always spoke English since we lived in America our whole lives.
    This really bothers me, like today for example, I called an ad on Craig's list for a house for rent in Baldwin Park. I live in Baldwin Park and realize that the community is mostly Mexican people, but when I asked for some info on the house, the first question I was asked was "Do you speak Spanish?" I was like "No not really". I kind of picked up some since living in So Cal my whole life but not enough to carry on a conversation w/someone, I prefer English. I told the man I didn't really speak Spanish.
    Right away he was like "Well the owner prefers someone that speaks Spanish." To which I responded "Oh, the owner doesn't speak any English?" He was like "Yes but not much and she would prefer someone who speaks Spanish as to easily communicate etc"
    OK so I do understand where the owner is coming from, but I wish people would realize that we aren't in MEXICO, If I were in MEXICO, ESPECIALLY IF I WAS A BUSINESS OWNER OR PROPERTY OWNER, I would make sure I learned Spanish.
    I'm so bummed out about this today : ( So now I feel stupid for going to see the house. What the hell? Yeah I'm pretty furious!
  • Kristy ... Syndi 2011/05/13 16:04:21
    Kristy Burdine
    +3
    I agree. I feel for you.
  • misskayd Syndi 2011/05/23 04:02:05
    misskayd
    sorry to hear about your situation..
  • rightside 2009/09/03 22:54:20
    rightside
    +2
    My sister in Washington lives in a community with hispanic people. A lot of them don't speak english.
    Shame on them. If they don't want to learn the language, then they should stay where they speak the same language.
  • wyatt_earp_fan 2009/09/03 22:12:54
    wyatt_earp_fan
    +4
    Exactly, I think job hunting has gone to the dogs, or, illegal or non English speaking California residents. It's bulllshit. Non English speakers are starting to get the upper hand at either finding a job or getting Welfare than those who are non Spanish speaking or White.
  • Kristy ... wyatt_e... 2011/05/13 16:05:55
    Kristy Burdine
    +2
    We have the same problem in Indiana---I think that they think if they come far enough North, they can slip by the radar. In some ways--I think they are right.
  • Zed 2009/07/08 08:12:47
    Zed
    The Mexicans are the Irish and Italians of today. Some dumbass said "Lets keep those foreigners out!" without realizing that they themselves are foreigners. The ironic thing is that all of this land used to belong to the people we're trying to keep out.
  • Randi R... Zed 2013/06/13 18:08:04
    Randi Rider
    +3
    No one is questioning if we should allow anyone to live here. We are speaking about a Language, not a race or nationality. I dont think I should HAVE to know Spanish to get a job. It has been a struggle just to apply for jobs because i only speak English and I dont think I should be put down for speaking the Language of this country. If i was anywhere else i would speak the national language of the country (or at least try to :). We are all immigrants but we learned and adapted to English as should anyone who wants to live here.
  • Bun 2009/03/26 23:05:42
    Bun
    +1
    Are non-French-speaking Canadians being discriminated against?
  • Randi R... Bun 2013/06/13 18:11:31
    Randi Rider
    +2
    French is one of the National Languages so No its not discrimination. If you live there then you should learn French. Here in the US our national language is English.
  • AngelEyes 2008/05/05 12:19:50
    AngelEyes
    +1
    I think it is funny that English is the spoken language in America, you go to any other country you have to learn there language and here these asses come up from across the border and over half of them are here illigal, but because they sneak across at night, give birth to a child here, there kids are now American citizens, so the parents get to stay. Well I say go to school and learn how to speak English. Why should I change my life style for someone that has moved here. If I moved to another country I should have to learn there languge, they should not have to change there life style for me. So if you want to live in America, LEARN ENGLISH, Send back to Mexico oe where ever they are from, If the parent does not have citizenship, then there kids should not have citizenship.
  • Zed AngelEyes 2009/07/05 19:22:38
    Zed
    Hey genius before you you spout off about us speaking English, which by the way Americans do not speak, learn to spell your native language.T H E R E is not the correct form of the word so demonstrate possession. I'll let you look it up.
  • AngelEyes Zed 2009/07/07 13:16:09
    AngelEyes
    +1
    well excuse the hell out of me for mispelling THEIR, type oh, the main point is, if you want to live in AMerica, then go get your citizen ship papers and live here the legal way. I am a tax paying citizen, I vote, so there for I have ever right to bitch about where my tax dollars goes to support these asses that come into our country. If you come here from over seas you have to get a visa, so if these dumbasses come up from Mexico, then they need to get Visas to live and to work here also... What is fair for one, needs to be fair for all...

So take your dictionary and go look up the legal rights of the people that are citizens vs. the ones that sneak across the border in the middle of the night, and take jobs away from Citizens of America... Unless you are on of the ones that sit back on your thumb and rock on it, because you are to lazy to get up and go vote and defend your country. As long as I pay my taxes, as long as I vote, I will continue to bitch and right my congress man/woman to do their job. And send the ones that sneak across the borders in the middle of the night back to Mexico, South America or where ever they are from. No papers, no home here in Ameica....

What are you willing to fight for!!!!

So take your dictionary and go look up the legal rights of the people that are citizens vs. the ones that sneak across the border in the middle of the night, and take jobs away from Citizens of America... Unless you are on of the ones that sit back on your thumb and rock on it, because you are to lazy to get up and go vote and defend your country. As long as I pay my taxes, as long as I vote, I will continue to bitch and right my congress man/woman to do their job. And send the ones that sneak across the borders in the middle of the night back to Mexico, South America or where ever they are from. No papers, no home here in Ameica.... send sneak borders middle mexico south america papers home ameica send sneak borders middle mexico south america papers home ameica send sneak borders middle mexico south america papers home ameica send sneak borders middle mexico south america papers home ameica

What are you willing to fight for!!!! sneak borders middle mexico south america papers home ameica fight sneak borders middle mexico south america papers home ameica fight
  • Zed AngelEyes 2009/07/08 08:09:11
    Zed
    The United States of America has certain things called quotas. These restrict the number of immigrants from a specific country. Even though the want for people over seas to come here is less they have higher quotas. Why is up for debate, but the point is they make coming into this country so hard for citizens of Mexico that many of them have no other choice. Where as many Canadians live here without any of the discrimination. The jobs that they take are the ones Americans don't want. They work in fields the quality of their work place and treatment is just over that of a slave.
  • AngelEyes Zed 2009/07/09 16:25:06
    AngelEyes
    the reason they work in the fields, is because Americans have gotten lazy, they do not want to get their fat butts up off the couch, and do an honest days work... This is one reason why we have so many over weight blimps, Americans have gotten sorry and lazy.... butts couch honest days work reason weight blimps americans lazy butts couch honest days work reason weight blimps americans lazy

It's not funny anymore. People need to exercise, they need to get out and work. I was out cutting my grass, with a push mower, a truck load of mexicans pulled up and wanted to do the work, I said no, I finished the job,,, I cut 2.5 acres with a push mower. More people need to get up off the couch and do there own job...
  • Zed AngelEyes 2009/07/13 20:47:30
    Zed
    +1
    my point exactly.
  • wyatt_e... AngelEyes 2009/09/03 22:20:17
    wyatt_earp_fan
    +3
    The criteria for working in the fields have gone down hill to where the pay is more agreeable to a Mexican resident than to anyone who is an American citizen.
  • misskayd AngelEyes 2011/05/23 03:52:52
    misskayd
    +2
    that's what our prisoners are for......they can just as easily work for their food, shelter, and such......just like everybody else.....
  • wyatt_e... Zed 2009/09/03 22:17:55
    wyatt_earp_fan
    +1
    Who cares how one spells ok, at least you get the point Doda is talking about. And about the Canadians, come over the the Southern part of the US and you will see what we mean. Soon, you too will be crying about this problem also.
  • Zed wyatt_e... 2012/01/10 10:31:42
    Zed
    I live in Colorado.
  • Amber P... Zed 2011/09/29 23:47:18
  • ACEDMagazine 2008/03/18 16:36:43
    +2
    This is America, they should be learning English, not the other way around. Why don't we all just move to South America...So many places require you to speak Spanish or you won't get hired. It is frakking ridiculous. Some schools in South Florida tried to get Spanish passed as the primary language - balls, big balls. I think it is unAmerican.
  • Jeffrey 2007/12/07 04:30:01
    Jeffrey
    spanish is quickly becoming a necessity and for purposes of doing business with whomever walks through the door there is a large need for spanish speakers
  • misskayd Jeffrey 2011/05/23 17:48:49
    misskayd
    +2
    the ONLY reason spanish is "quickly becoming a necessity and for purposes of doing business" is BECAUSE people are CATERING to those who REFUSE to learn english......if people would stop catering the way they do there would be a difference!
  • chilton~T~ 2007/11/29 00:53:49
    chilton~T~
    +2
    I think sometimes they are. Some people of this particular nationality seems to want preferential treatment. Unless you are NA, your ancestors are from another country. They had to learn, why shouldn't the Mexicans. If they don't want to assimilate....GO HOME. We can all still maintain our cultural/ethnic diversity without surrendering to the dictates of one nationality.
  • Carlea 2007/11/28 20:05:55
    Carlea
    +3
    If they are "Americans", then they should speak English...DUH!!!
  • MAGGIE ... Carlea 2007/11/28 20:09:54
    MAGGIE IRISH EYES
    +1
    The "illegals" don't speak English.
  • Exile 2007/11/28 19:51:54
    Exile
    +3
    I have seen plenty of these ad's seems like just about every other job you apply for has them. My current job is even starting to not hire applicants unless they speak spanish.... I completely disagree with everyone who says we should be forced to speak Spanish and will continue to answer no to the annoying speaky spany calls which we get all the time at work. Speak English. Simple as that
  • Bunny Gurl ♥ 2007/11/23 21:10:19 (edited)
    Bunny Gurl ♥
    ......I have never seen this where it says "Must Speak Spanish" in a employment ad. It is very helpfull to get a job when you know another language. Any other language. That is not a bad thing. It is good to know another language. I know that my Mom told us most of our young life that we were not allowed to tell what we were to the kids at school. But things have changed and I do not think it is a bad thing anymore.
  • misskayd Bunny G... 2011/05/23 17:56:23
    misskayd
    let me tell you if you have all of your education in the medical field that is where all you see is MUST SPEAK SPANISH in the ads. and along with that is MUST PASS A LRA TEST! and of course all surrounding employers say spanish preferred. i do know another language however that language is not desirable.. and no one is saying that knowing another language is a bad thing. the whole controversy going on here is the fact that --employers want to hire people to fill their vacant positions however, they only want employees that know english and spanish.....if you dont know spanish then dont waste your time applying! the problem with that is every single employer has this in their ads and for every single opened position....----WHY must all of the employees be bilingual in spanish?
  • Bilingu... misskayd 2011/09/27 01:18:50
    Bilingual required sucks
    Its literally corporate greed, here in Florida Cubans do not patronize businesses that do not have Cubans working there, they are extremely clannish, consequently even fast food joints are asking for bilingual/spanish required. Most Cubans here speak both spanish and english too, its just that companies are responding to the expectations of these people, and hiring a spanish (Cuban) person is good for business.
  • Randi R... Bunny G... 2013/06/13 18:15:58
    Randi Rider
    +2
    Here in California Every job says MUST be Bilingual. And the California government has made this OK and legal.
  • bronzefairy 2007/11/23 21:02:15
    bronzefairy
    +1
    its a weird subject cause it goes both ways. on one hand we need to have spanish speaking workers to deal with the people who only speak spanish. but its also wrong cause there are people in this country that speak other things, not english or spanish, but there is nobody special to deal with them. also its not really fair cause people that are born and raised in america and only speak english have problems comunicating with some workers cause they only speak spanish. its tough. but i know i hate going into a store and asking for something and having to find what i need myself cause the person working there dosen't speak english
  • Smokey 2007/11/23 17:44:32
    Smokey
    +3
    In some cases, yes. I really hope that our politicians listen to the majority of Americans and realize that we have nothing against diversity, but we all need to come together with ONE offical language: ENGLISH. This topic wouldn't be discussed in Mexico or any other country for that matter. They wouldn't speak ENGLISH in their country because we wanted them to.
  • bronzef... Smokey 2007/11/23 21:03:32
    bronzefairy
    i was just telling someone that the other day.

2014/07/28 16:26:55