Are Most Homophobes Really Homosexuals In Denial?

ProudProgressive 2013/02/12 13:44:09
I read a post this morning in which one of the most hateful and irrational people around tried to deny that there is any such thing as homophobia. Denying the reality of homophobia is about as rational as denying the existence of air, but it seems to be demonstrative of a scary pattern. Those who complain the most about homosexuals, who claim that recognition of same sex marriage is really a plot to destroy America and that when the Constitution guarantees to every citizen the equal protection of the laws that only applies to heterosexuals, all too often turn out to be the ones prowling airport bathrooms in search of anonymous sexual gratification or taking boydates with them on vacations. The reality is that there are noble and respectable homosexuals and there are homosexuals who are vile criminals, just like with heterosexuals. There are homosexuals who could easily win a parent of the year award and there are homosexuals who abuse children, just like with heterosexuals. There are homosexuals who defend our nation in Afghanistan and around the world, just like with heterosexuals.

It seems to me that someone who would go to the extreme of trying to deny that homophobia even exists has much bigger issues that they're trying to deny.

• Hakking 2013/02/13 17:35:12
  • Greg Saunders 2013/02/13 13:34:29
    Greg Saunders
    Some are, I bet anyone who's steeped in religion but finds a man's body tingles the wrong parts gets confused about it.

If I had a fetish for old ladies I would probably be against them kissing in public too...
  • Maynard 2013/02/13 13:08:48
    Maynard
    Proudprogressive, you suffer from CONSERVATIVE PHOBIA.

You allow yourself to fall for ALL HATE against the Right and not one time have you ever DENOUNCED the hate from the left.

Proud, PLEASE stop LABELING those who you disagree with.
  • Maria 2013/02/13 05:49:02
    Maria
    Some of them are,but most of them aren't.People tend to hate what they don't understand.Nobody likes to admit that there are things they will never comprehend(because it means we aren't as smart or deep as we thought.),so the natural reaction (though not the enlightened one) is to automatically hate whatever it is.Sometimes to the point of violence.
  • ttfndude 2013/02/13 02:50:59
    ttfndude
    If a person is that adament about how bad they dislike gay people they are denying something in themselves
  • Colin 2013/02/13 01:08:45
    Colin
    No...and its one of those arguments that if one says no it can be taken as proof and if one says yes then the result is in the same direction...Still the law is the law.
  • Tattoo Nana 2013/02/13 00:37:57 (edited)
    Tattoo Nana
    +1
    I think it could be that some of the homophobes are indeed homosexual and cannot allow themselves to be true to who they are. And then I also think there are plenty of homophobes who are purely mean and evil, who think they are above others and are quite arrogant. They could also be referred to as bullies, as they pick the most and loudest at gay folks. I really think its ridiculous how these people act, that they cause the majority of the issues between gay people and acceptance by society in general.
  • mike Byrd 2013/02/12 23:14:59
  • Keith 2013/02/12 22:24:04
    Keith
    A generalization like that is silly.
  • BHGOzzy 2013/02/12 22:23:45 (edited)
    BHGOzzy
    +2
    It certainly seems that way. We keep catching them in bed with other men (or other women) after they espouse the opinion that all homosexuals should be executed by the state or other similar hate-filled rhetoric fueled by an evangelist vision of Christanity's message of "love and tolerance".

Isn't that right, Pastor Harris?

Pastor Harris admits to being gay Pastor Harris
  • davidgoessplat 2013/02/12 22:18:30
    davidgoessplat
    Never understood that argument. Its the equivalent of an ad hominem in my opinion.
  • BHGOzzy davidgo... 2013/02/12 22:25:03
    BHGOzzy
    *pst* Look below for more information on the subject
  • Crym 2013/02/12 22:11:40
    Crym
    +3
    They have done studies on this. They showed men two types of pornography--one with a man and a woman and another with a man and a man. They then put monitors and video cameras on (to check pupil dilation, heart rate, increased size, etc.) The men who expressed homophobic tendencies were the ones that gave positive, uncontrollable signs of arousal to the pornography involving two men. The non-homophobic were not aroused at all by the pornography involving two men.

http://www.psychologytoday.co...
  • American☆Atheist 2013/02/12 22:10:21
    American☆Atheist
    +3
    Not most, but a lot.
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/02/12 22:07:53 (edited)
  • Food Stamp Papa 2013/02/12 21:06:56
    Food Stamp Papa
    +2
    not all but i'm sure some of them are.
  • apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope 2013/02/12 21:05:51
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    +2
    Maybe, maybe not. I just think they're buttholes, dickpigeons, douche nozzles, et cetera (I'm not a fan of the term "homophobe").

Though some of them do go into insane detail about what two men do in the bedroom. It's almost obsessive.
  • BHGOzzy apaтнeт... 2013/02/12 22:27:10
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    So far every extreme homophobe who has peddled the idea that homosexuality is sinful and must be punished (often crying out for violence against gays) have later been found to be in at least one homosexual relationship. The most famous of these is Pastor Sean Harris who got caught with a rent boy while on tour after his famous "Punch the gay away" remarks in one of his sermons.
  • apaтнeт... BHGOzzy 2013/02/12 22:37:15
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    +2
    I didn't deny the claim, I just don't think most of those who flat-out don't like gays aren't repressing any sort of feelings. But I for one do think that those who yell the loudest are usually the ones with something to hide.
  • BHGOzzy apaтнeт... 2013/02/12 22:41:58
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    I agree with you. :D
  • john Kills 2013/02/12 20:55:16
    john Kills
    most of us are sticking with our moral beliefs of right and wrong.
  • BHGOzzy john Kills 2013/02/12 22:33:28
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    There's a difference. If you simply think that homosexuality is icky and leave it at that, never really thinking about it otherwise, that's fine (That's actually fairly normal for straight people).

If you think about gays all the time, obsess over the LGBT community, think that all gays should be punished as violently as possible immediately, if you think that homosexual children should be beaten until straight, and if you espouse these ideas to anyone and everyone around you constantly... there's a very high statistical probability that there's a closet door with your name on it. This is especially prevalent in the Christian Evangelical community who tend to be more openly oppressive and Biblical Literalists then is the norm for Christianity. That's not to say that this phenomenon is a uniquely Christian one either, but in the US it is a predominantly Christian phenomenon.

So, like I said, there's a difference here. If you only really think about homosexuality when the topic comes up and at no other time, then you're fine. You're a perfectly normal straight person.

If you think about homosexuals all the time and obsess over them, chances are you might meet Tom Cruise in that closet you're in.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2013/02/12 20:54:16 (edited)
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +2
    Are most homophobes homosexuals in disguise? Some are. Most others might be troubled by anyone or anything that's supposedly on "the wrong side" of any version of The Forces of Good™ vs. The Forces of Evil™. That last bit is where the demonizing all ______s comes from, regardless of actual demonstrable character and track record. Either way, denying that heterosexism and its abusive bigotry exist is an attempt to deny abusive paradigms that our culture and politics are unfortunately still steeped in, on a regular basis.

We are slowly seeing progress in equal rights though.
  • Piper 2013/02/12 20:51:30
    Piper
    +2
    I doubt it, but many who go on and on about the evils of homosexuality, do seem quite obsessed with what gay men might be doing in private together.
  • BHGOzzy Piper 2013/02/12 22:35:05
    BHGOzzy
    +2
    Statistically speaking it seems that these people who constantly obsess over homosexuals are homosexual themselves and often horribly repressed by their own religion. I honestly doubt we'd see so much issues about the gay community if Evangelism simply didn't exist.
  • Piper BHGOzzy 2013/02/12 23:32:54 (edited)
    Piper
    +3
    Could be. I just think it's rather perverted, to obsess about what other people do sexually, in private. Yes, those most vicious towards the fact of homosexuality, are usually the ones who are supposedly very religious, and do often fixate on this particular 'sin'.
  • Straud1976 2013/02/12 20:50:53
    Straud1976
    +2
    On this site i think most likely
  • Crime Time 2013/02/12 20:43:02
  • Car1u5~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/12 20:22:03
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    that is what I have always heard but have no evidence for such a thing.
  • BHGOzzy Car1u5~... 2013/02/12 22:36:18
    BHGOzzy
    +3
    Actually, there have been a few studies in this direction directly BECAUSE this phenominon seems to happen so often.

Here, I borrowed a link from very far above so you can find out for yourself: http://www.psychologytoday.co...
  • Car1u5~... BHGOzzy 2013/02/13 16:19:39
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Thanks
  • MDMA 2013/02/12 20:04:14
    MDMA
    +1
    Some of them are, but it is not safe to generalize that most of them are.....
  • rmhoperenton 2013/02/12 19:59:56
    rmhoperenton
    +2
    I was a 'homophobe' once.....My name is Bob, and I'm a recovering homophope (tee-hee).
    I do think that at some level insecurity is involved. That and lack of humility. I'm really pretty confused about this topic but one thing that I might say with general confidence is that at least homosexuals are willing (increasingly so) to share who THEY are individually. That can only be good. Most of us (me at least) try to hide ourselves and that isn't okay.
    I'm NOT saying be proud of who you are...I am saying be real with yourself and don't be ashamed.
  • rmhoper... rmhoper... 2013/02/12 20:23:49
    rmhoperenton
    +2
    Just for the record...I'm not homosexual. (like you would really believe that at this point?) Anyway, I know that I'm simply not attracted to males that way. I do know and love/respect people though who are 'like that'. I'll even admit to clinging to this concept (conditioning?) that homosexuality is something of a disorder. Even from that perspective though I place higher value in loving people as they are and not as you/I 'think' they should be.
    I would be inclined to believe that 'progressives' by and large support 'gay' rights more as just another opportunistic and void of principle means to an end rather than as a truly principled stand.
    I submit as evidence the despicable treatment in particular of racial minorities, Women, economist,scientist............. who speak in dissidence to their manufactured faith.
    The left doesn't love you folks...They love your submission to their sick and perverse intentions.
  • Jesterz 2013/02/12 19:58:28
    Jesterz
    +1
    Though there probably are some, the majority are just clueless morons...
  • Jack's Pearl 2013/02/12 19:55:11
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    I would say not most. Because a homophobe is someone who is outright ugly about homosexuality and out of touch. Doesn't understand it at all. If they did they wouldn't be so immaturely creeped out.

Someone who is gay, even if in private, are more in touch then that. They understand their feelings. How natural they are. That they can't change them no matter what is done to them. Some may act out in hate to protect themselves. But they are not truly a homophobe. They are doing what they think they need to to deny this in themselves. In others. It's sad.
  • Old Nellie Bones 2013/02/12 19:52:06
    Old Nellie Bones
    +2
    But it does seem it may be so. Larry Craig is one blaring example. And I do wonder, and go Hmmmmmmmm over some of the people in politics and the media. Makes me think they protest too much.
  • illinoyed 2013/02/12 19:19:15
    illinoyed
    +2
    I don't know if most are, but clearly some of them are.
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2013/02/12 18:07:22 (edited)
  • BHGOzzy stevegt... 2013/02/12 22:37:57
    BHGOzzy
    There's plenty of evidence of it, including the very public outings of several extremely anti-gay pastors like Sean Harris.

There's also this:
    http://www.psychologytoday.co...

2014/09/01 13:42:00