Are 'Legal Drugs' as Dangerous as Illegal?

Just because a substance is legal, that doesn't mean it's safe. With new substances hitting the market on a regular basis, it's impossible for authorities and experts to keep track of them, meaning there's very little reliable information available. A while back, a handful of teens were hospitalized after taking synthetic marijuana -- cause enough for concern. But this weekend a 20-year-old man died after taking a substance called Benzo Fury at a Scotland music festival.

David Liddell, director of Scottish Drugs Forum, said in a statement, "Benzo Fury is a so-called legal high -- or New Psychoactive Drug -- which appears to have a similar effect to Ecstasy. It's one of the new legal highs developed to get around the banning of similar compounds ... As it's not been around for long there is little information on long-term effects and as with all these drugs, there's no knowing what's actually in them. The names are just to market them and may bear no relation to what's in them." Do you think these "legal drugs" are just as dangerous as the illegal ones?

• Rebel [... theprot... 2012/06/14 22:11:53 (edited)
    Rebel [SHP]
    +1
    Potatoes/Potaatoes. Same thing. Both still alters your mind....which is traditionally classified as a drug.
  • theprot... Rebel [... 2012/06/15 15:16:14
    theprothinker
    One glass of beer does not alter my mind. It just tastes good -- it's nutritional -- no preservatives -- and it doesn't spoil.
  • mikeeonly theprot... 2012/07/09 16:32:01
  • theprot... mikeeonly 2012/07/10 15:09:53
    theprothinker
    I don't get out much. And no, I don't drink too much. I don't think a glass of beer once or twice a week with dinner is too much, do you? I wouldn't go anywhere near a person stoned on pot, which is easy for me, because I don't know anybody who gets stoned on pot.
  • mikeeonly theprot... 2012/07/16 22:08:33
    mikeeonly
    You most likely do, but just don't realize it. I don't drink or get high. I played in bands my entire life and am lucky to be alive today. I partied my ass off for a good part of my life and worked on multi million dollar construction projects stoned every day and never had a job site accident, not even one stitch. I'm not saying I was in the right, but it was the times and the environment I grew up in. I'm 60, still playing music, but straight. It's not about the party anymore. It's about the music now. What I'm saying is that you don't really know because you weren't involved.
  • mikeeonly theprot... 2012/07/16 22:04:33
    mikeeonly
    Alcohol, according to statistics is the most abused drug there is
  • theprot... mikeeonly 2012/07/17 15:39:01
    theprothinker
    It's not a drug.
  • mikeeonly theprot... 2012/07/18 03:30:40
  • theprot... mikeeonly 2012/07/19 21:09:17
    theprothinker
    No, no, no, I don't know why the variety in sales, and no.

I think DUI laws should be not only standardized, but made more severe. Anyone caught drunk driving should have their automobile confiscated . . . immediately . . . no recourse. If they want it back, they can go to a public auction and buy it back. If they borrowed the car from someone else, that person would never loan them a car again. If the car was financed, the bank would not make the same mistake twice.

We are Waaaaay too lenient about drunk driving. In Germany, if you are caught with your blood alcohol over the limit, you lose your drivers license FOR LIFE.
  • ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓ 2012/06/14 21:00:30
    ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓
    How is this even a question? Ofcourse they are just as bad!!!
    +2
    Yes, they can be
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/06/14 20:59:19
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
    Sometimes even more dangerous.

You know, legalizing illegal ones might actually HELP the economy with taxes and regulations.... Just saying.
  • joe mauro Just Je... 2012/06/15 02:00:09
    joe mauro
    sythenic heroine is legal in florida nuff said
  • Just Je... joe mauro 2012/06/15 16:00:42
    Just Jenn for Now
    "Synthetic"?? Yeah okay, I'm talking the actual stuff not the synthetic fake junk, it's probably more dangerous.

And "nuff said"?? I think you're forgetting a WHOLE lot, and not to mention you only mentioned FLORIDA. Nationwide is the aim.
  • joe mauro Just Je... 2012/06/16 00:52:26
    joe mauro
    florida supplies the nation
  • mikeeonly joe mauro 2012/07/16 22:09:11
    mikeeonly
    I thought oxys were synthetic heroin
  • Foxhound BN0 2012/06/14 20:58:33
    Foxhound BN0
    yes, look at alcohol. the war on drugs is for communist idiots
  • colin ward 2012/06/14 20:53:35
    colin ward
    Governments are scared of people realising truth and awareness through mind altering drugs, the side effects are no worse than legal drugs .
  • Boetica colin ward 2012/06/14 22:09:03
    Boetica
    +1
    "Truth and awareness through mind altering drugs"? <>
  • ruthannhausman 2012/06/14 20:53:34
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Drugs aren't dangerous, people are. Even going back to the simple aspirins and OTC pain killers, I've seen people take a handful when the directions specifically cite a maximum dosage. And now we get to read all about common household items that make you "high." Whoopee. I believe people are playing with dangerous fire when they "do drugs." But, hey, heaven forbid I should say anything against the pleasure seekers. Dummies.
  • theprot... ruthann... 2012/06/14 21:26:40
    theprothinker
    If there was a way to give a thumbs up to a response, I'd give you 20 of them. Good, clear thinking, Ruth. Why don't people get "hooked" on something great, like reading good books, learning about nature, making other people happy, etc. etc.? You are so right. Getting "high" is for fools.
  • ruthann... theprot... 2012/06/15 07:00:27
    ruthannhausman
    Well, you are a breath of fresh air and thank you for the "thumbs up" comment. I am usually so terribly verbose that I decided to cut my answer short. But I wanted to say the very same thing that you said about wanting people to get hooked on reading good books, nature, the whole nine yards. We have been given a fantastic gift by God, a knock-out gorgeous world, all kinds of different people, intelligence to come up with all kinds of good things, and so many idiots out there, upset because Mom and Dad are SOB's or school's too hard or whatever numbskull excuse to test mind-altering drugs, refuse to see what's in front of them and they go on into the darkest corners of their very own minds and wonder why life is so terrible. What a waste.

As a teenager, I didn't like the idea of fooling with my mind. It's dingy enough without artificial stimulation. But I did smoke cigarettes for 40 years. Loved every minute of it. But I was told that it would stunt my growth. And since I was already taller than all the neat guys in my classes, that didn't scare me. So I got hooked for all those years. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every minute of it. But there came a time when I decided maybe I'd better stop for health reasons, and so I did in 2001. Haven't regretted stopping either.

...

But the point is that if I had been shown the real McCoy pictures of smokers' lungs, for instance, and good video clips of what all smoking can do to you, trust me, I would never, ever have picked up that first cigarette. Because I was a feisty teenager, but I wasn't stupid. If I had been informed properly about smoking, I surely would never have done it. Fortunately, I was informed about drugs. Never once had even a hint of a desire to try any of that crap.

Today's kids are given information about drugs and they know from the news and real-life events all about the effects, but somewhere, somehow, our educational system is failing our kids. Because I know full well that if they were properly informed -- "taught" if you will -- about drugs and shown alternative "highs" in the world, they would never touch the stuff. And I firmly believe the problems begin with Mom and Dad, then into the school systems. So much is being done about worrying about hurting the feelings of various groups, being PC about anything and everything, that we don't come right out and teach proper ethics and character. I say get a grasp of that and you've got a good chance to wipe out some of these horrible habits.
  • theprot... ruthann... 2012/06/15 15:23:28
    theprothinker
    I like the way you think. I was a smoker too but quit 35 years ago. I'm so glad I did, and like you, I wish I had never started. One failure of the anti-drug campaign is that we don't come right up front and tell the kids that people take drugs because they make you feel good. In short, it's fun. But the reality must be faced that a short high endangers your brain, your health, your innocence, and your future.

Also, I think one of the prime psychological culprits we must point out for kids is the sin of "arrogance": "Sure, other kids get hooked on drugs, but not me." ARROGANCE! I saw a kid interviewed on TV about texting while driving and she said, "Our generation is better at multi-tasking than previous generations." ARROGANCE! "Pride goes before the fall." (from Proverbs)
  • ruthann... theprot... 2012/06/15 19:10:56
    ruthannhausman
    We definitely share the same opinions on at least the few things we've bandied about on this short site. I look forward to seeing responses by you in the future. I'm beginning to start a 'list' of folks like yourself so that I don't forget who I'm talking to. I'm really bad about that right now. I mean I'll have a wonderful time chatting with someone such as yourself and then two days from now I'll forget who I was talking to simply because I didn't write your name down. Dummy that I am, I think I've finally awakened the brain a wee bit and decided to do things right for a change. So here's hoping we get to share more views and perhaps even persuade some of the lesser enlightened out there to come over to our side. That would be nice, huh?
  • Franklin 2012/06/14 20:53:03
    Franklin
    if anything they are more dangerous , but only thanks to years and years of bleeding heart liberals underwriting a corrupt system of distributing FREE drugs ...I can score RX opiom on the street for less than it sells for at a drug store ...thanks Medicaid! LOL
    BTW for all the brain dead RETARDS who are going to say legalize pot , you can just forget about that one ...the filthy slaver bastards you keep electing (democrats) will never accept and drug they don't control - never ever going to happen ! you mouth breathing drooling morons are all slaves to the Democrats and that is where you will stay !
  • Foxhoun... Franklin 2012/06/14 21:00:19
    Foxhound BN0
    the cons are the idiots that want to keep it illegal. everyone else says legalize it.
  • theprot... Foxhoun... 2012/06/14 21:27:22
    theprothinker
    not everyone.
  • Foxhoun... theprot... 2012/06/14 21:35:21
    Foxhound BN0
    as a demographic, religious conservatives stand pretty much alone in their stubborn resistance to ending prohibition of marijuana.
  • theprot... Foxhoun... 2012/06/15 15:25:22 (edited)
    theprothinker
    Yea, right. Let's legalize another mind-altering, carcinogenic addiction.
  • Foxhoun... theprot... 2012/06/15 15:30:53
    Foxhound BN0
    I have an idea. Let's outlaw people sticking their noses up each other's butts.
  • theprot... Foxhoun... 2012/06/19 16:29:52
    theprothinker
    Yea. I think that would be a truly mind altering experience.
  • Watermusicranger 2012/06/14 20:52:45
    Watermusicranger
  • JaeyoungLee 2012/06/14 20:51:55
    JaeyoungLee
    I don't go on sodahead, but when I saw this come up on my email I couldn't help but say DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's sometimes more lethal than illegal ones. Hell, heroine's technically a legal drug.
  • Clyt Kissa 2012/06/14 20:51:49
    Clyt Kissa
    +1
    The answer should be No. They're a lot worse in most cases. Marijuana is the only drug that I'd legalize. I don't smoke. I just see all the money the government is missing out on, all the tax payer money that is going to waist fighting it, and the deaths that result over the illegal drug trade. Many legal prescription and non-prescription medications cause more harm than the problem that they're supposed to be helping. Everyday a new prescription drug is up for a lawsuit. The reason why marijuana isn't legal has nothing to do with the possible implications of it's affects on the users. It's only speculative of what other drugs may be tried because someone tried it. I tried an over the counter pain medicine and it didn't make me want to get something stronger. I've had prescription pain meds that people wanted to buy from me because I wouldn't use them. I threw them away because I couldn't have their death or injury being associated with me.
  • Red Branch 2012/06/14 20:51:35
    Red Branch
    +4
    40% of all illegally used drugs are legal drugs that have been obtained illegally. A little something I remember from a college class way too many years ago.

Yes, Drugs, legal and illegal can kill.
    I would say that illegally manufactured drugs are more dangerous because there is no quality control during their manufacture. Not that legally made drugs cannot be tampered with.
    People do not live in isolation and rarely limit themselves to just one drug.

The standard question, "Which is worse alcohol or marijuana"? That is a naive and simplistic question because most often it is both at the same time maybe with other substances ingested as well.
  • theprot... Red Branch 2012/06/14 21:30:44
    theprothinker
    In your last paragraph, "most often" should be changed to "sometimes". I have a glass of beer occasionally, but have NEVER used marijuana. This is true of most of my friends as well.
  • Red Branch theprot... 2012/06/14 23:10:15
    Red Branch
    +1
    I will leave my statement as it is written.
    It was written for those favoring the use of marijuana and saying that it is less harmful that alcohol. I am saying that most marijuana users do not limit themselves to just marijuana but seek other substances as well.
    It was not written for those that enjoy an alcoholic beverage on occasion.
  • theprot... Red Branch 2012/06/15 15:26:04
    theprothinker
    OK
  • Theresa2000 2012/06/14 20:48:53
    Theresa2000
    Only bc if they were legal, folks wouldn't likely kill you for them...
  • Red Branch Theresa... 2012/06/15 18:37:23
    Red Branch
    People have been killed for athletic shoes, jackets, a couple dollars, and the list could go on.

2014/09/16 09:35:56