Are 'Legal Drugs' as Dangerous as Illegal?

Just because a substance is legal, that doesn't mean it's safe. With new substances hitting the market on a regular basis, it's impossible for authorities and experts to keep track of them, meaning there's very little reliable information available. A while back, a handful of teens were hospitalized after taking synthetic marijuana -- cause enough for concern. But this weekend a 20-year-old man died after taking a substance called Benzo Fury at a Scotland music festival.

David Liddell, director of Scottish Drugs Forum, said in a statement, "Benzo Fury is a so-called legal high -- or New Psychoactive Drug -- which appears to have a similar effect to Ecstasy. It's one of the new legal highs developed to get around the banning of similar compounds ... As it's not been around for long there is little information on long-term effects and as with all these drugs, there's no knowing what's actually in them. The names are just to market them and may bear no relation to what's in them." Do you think these "legal drugs" are just as dangerous as the illegal ones?

• Rusty 2012/06/19 03:01:22
    Rusty
    +2
    More people die in the USA every day from legal drugs than from illegal drugs. You don't know about it because of the money being made.
  • Rebecca Rusty 2012/06/23 13:41:48
    Rebecca
    +1
    I work for a pharmaceutical and the money is insane. There are some medications that have 10 pills in a bottle but cost over $1000. $$$$$$$$ it's all about the benjamins. Especially when I attend meetings where my CEO discusses being in the senates office asking how he will make sure our company doesn't lose millions when drugs go generic. Makes me sick
  • Rusty Rebecca 2012/06/23 22:02:13
    Rusty
    +1
    Thank you for your additional info.....The more people that know the better.
  • Dubya Rebecca 2012/06/25 17:00:32
    Dubya
    I believe that doctors should be banned from owning any pharmaceutical stocks, as it is a blaring conflict of interest when they prescribe drugs they profit from, without disclosure.

This just one way in which Doctors are instigated into prescribing more and more of these dangerous substances. Many "legal" drugs have side effects worse than the conditions they are meant to "mask".
  • Drug Free Rebecca 2012/08/15 01:59:23 (edited)
    Drug Free
    Yes...and the pro drug advocates want to legalise the recreational drugs and the big pharma companies will jump on the opportunities to push the substances big time.
    If legalised They will have the nation addicted to their legal recreational drugs faster and far more so than their medicinal pharmaceutical drugs
    Be carefull what you wish for!
  • bobby 2012/06/18 23:22:51
    bobby
    Just because they are not illegal does not mean they are safe. They have not been available for long enough to be tested and the manufacturers who supply them to head shops and new age stores are constantly changing the brands and the packaging. They are sold as not for human consumption. So if they were dangerous they still wouldn't be banned; bleach is dangerous but has not been banned, I still would not drink it.
  • Gothpirate 2012/06/18 18:19:52
    Gothpirate
    All drugs are dangerous when not prescribed by a professional
  • Rebecca Gothpirate 2012/06/23 14:00:57
    Rebecca
    All drugs are dangerous regardless who says it's ok.
  • Dubya Gothpirate 2012/06/25 16:45:52
    Dubya
    But more people die by doctors each year, read the report linked above. Personally I will avoid doctors advice as long as I can, in my 60;s none of those killer legal drugs in my system
  • Gothpirate Dubya 2012/06/28 15:02:12
    Gothpirate
    I didn't say doctors I said professionals, their are few doctors I've met that are entirely responsible when prescribing drugs
  • David N... Gothpirate 2012/07/07 20:57:39
    David Nesbitt
    A professional what?
  • jtfm 2012/06/18 16:37:10
    jtfm
    +3
    Government needs to get out of the babysitting biz. Some folks will hurt themselves no matter what. The war on drugs is a scam and the powers that be know it. It is time to stop.
  • Super ludum 2012/06/18 15:12:02
  • jamiecooper187 2012/06/18 14:08:00
    jamiecooper187
    this is another leading post that should have had a third option, it all depends on the drug, I'm only another "yes" because there wasnt a "maybe depending on the drug" option so this entire poll is biased, leading, and pointless and thus should be deleted
  • Dr. John jamieco... 2012/06/23 22:45:27
    Dr. John
    It probably should have asked, "AS DANGEROUS, MORE DANGEROUS or LESS DANGEROUS."
  • Prophet 2012/06/18 12:08:35
    Prophet
    There are many people out there destroying their lives with the legal ones.
  • SavageS0ul 2012/06/18 11:46:24
    SavageS0ul
    I believe SOME pills can be MORE dangerous than MOST illegal drugs. That's just my opinion with what I've been hearing & witnessing my entire life. You know dang well the government hides things from us anywho, they don't care about our health. They care about all the money they're getting with the collaboration of the FDA & us the people. They won't ever desire to lose that huge of a money flow, they will do all they can to make it seem safe & make us think we're paranoid & that they're isolated incidents. Most drugs are extremely scary, legal or illegal.
  • ticker 2012/06/18 11:36:16
    ticker
    When has anyone who got stoned out if their mind chewed the face off another person?
  • Soylent Green is people!!! 2012/06/18 08:29:48
    Soylent Green is people!!!
    I had life long insomnia. Now I take Ambien every night, and although I can sleep now, I can no longer sleep without it. Can't take a nap anymore without popping an Ambien, which only makes matters worse.
  • Cherie 2012/06/18 08:18:31
    Cherie
    OF COURSE? sOME ARE HARSHER THAN OTHERS , BUT ALL OF THEM HAVE HARMFUL SIDE EFFECTS? OUR FDA ARE JUST LEGAL DRUG DEALERS? OF COURSE?
  • Cherie Cherie 2012/06/18 08:23:12
    Cherie
    +3
    MY MOTHER WAS WALKING UNTIL SHE BROKE HER ARM , WAS SENT TO REHAB GIVEN SEROQUIL TO RELAX HER DUE TO BEING UPSET FOR BEING THERE, WHICH THEN THE SEROQUIL CAUSED SIDE EFFECT OF HER LEG CRAMPING .. WHICH THE DOCTORS WOULD REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE AND ADMIT, AND THEN LATER CAUSED HER TEETH TO GRIND AND HER JAW TO STIFFEN , EPISODES OF NAUSEA , THEY WANTED TO ADD ANTIDEPRESSANTS WHEN SHE IS NOT A DEPRESSED PERSON.. JUST UPSET OVER HER LEG AND NOT FEELING WELL DUE TO THE MEDICATIONS!! i TOOK HER TO THE HEALING ROOMS. i BELIEVE IN PRAYER AND THERE SHE THREW UP ALL OF HER MEDICATIONS , I BROUGHT HER HOME FOR 2 DAYS AS THIS CRAP CLEARED OUT OF HER SYSTEM AND WATCHED HER COME BACK ALIVE.. SHE HAS NOT BEEN ON THE MEDICATION FOR 4 WEEKS NOW AND BACK TO HERSELF , TEETH UNCLENCHED AND DOING JUST FINE. FDA AND DOCTORS MAKE MONEY FROM THESE DRUGS JUST AS DRUG DEALERS DO.
  • Nazz™ 2012/06/18 05:43:20
  • diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy 2012/06/18 05:01:06
    diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy
    +2
    Painkillers are bad, blah blah blah,...sleep aids cause brain damage blah blah...... NEW WORLD ORDER, blah blah....lsdkfjsja;j ....LEGALIZE WEED!
  • Haley diaverd... 2012/06/18 16:33:59
    Haley
    Please, do tell me where you get all these lovely solid facts that so firmly hold up your argument.
  • Just me ♥ 2012/06/18 04:44:20
    Just me ♥
    I don't know what the purpose of 'Benzo Fury' is...it's name implies that it's realted to benzodiazipines such as klonopin or valium. I would never take pills from a package that reads "not for human consumption" such as written on the Benzo Fury package above in the story.
  • KennaBlack 2012/06/18 04:23:44
    KennaBlack
    I definitely agree. Especially when you look at the difference in the effects of some of these legal drugs in comparison to marijuana, they could actually be worse in some instances.
  • Brother Bo 2012/06/18 03:36:58
    Brother Bo
    If you don't use them as prescribed and over-do them
  • glitteredninja 2012/06/18 02:46:58
    glitteredninja
    +1
    The guy who did bath salts in Florida ate a guys face off....soo yeaahh....pretty sure non-illegals are just as dangerous
  • Ardwin_Viesheight 2012/06/18 02:24:57
    Ardwin_Viesheight
    if that "benzo fury" stuff says "not for human consumption on it, then what is it for?
  • TheBorg 2012/06/18 01:35:14 (edited)
    TheBorg
    +1
    Bath Salts are legal yet are even more dangerous than most illegal drugs.

• Tom McNally 2012/06/18 01:22:19
    Tom McNally
    If you mean cigarettes, alcohol and sugar (it is as addictive as cocaine)? Then defiantly.
  • j zano ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/06/18 01:12:08
    j zano ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    of course they are! and in both industries they make alot of money!
  • ronbo 2012/06/18 00:44:57
    ronbo
    Abuse of legal prescription drugs is as much a problem as illegal drugs.
  • stormy rae 2012/06/17 23:16:42
    stormy rae
    worse, at least 1 or a few of the illegal ones have undergone clinical trials and are now being used throughout the country and in other countries for medicinal, yet the prescribed medications almost always have worse side effects, than the problem you were actually experiencing, and when one is clinically diagnosed with cancer, the medications actually have the people thinking they would rather die sometimes, so the question is why the fda allows the market of dangerous drugs used as medicine, when the illegal natural cures are the more clinically proven better for your body, they actually have proof that the use of vitamins and herbal supplements and herb use can literally cure any cancer, and there are herbs that cure all diseases
  • Katie1234 2012/06/17 22:43:41
    Katie1234
    yes, because you always hear about all these issues people have after taking these 'legal' medications. no medicine is gonna be perfect but, still it's a scary thing... im always kind of freaked out to take my OCD meds cause there's always that side effect of suicide thoughts... i've never thought of suicide thank god, but still you know? it's freaky! again no med is gonna be perfect, but i kinda don't trust the FDA either.
  • Dave Ruble 2012/06/17 22:01:47
    Dave Ruble
    +1
    Worse! Have you ever paid attention to Abilify ads?

The small print should scare the $#!+ out of anyone.
  • ~EL 2012/06/17 21:32:35
    ~EL
    Yes, of course! For the most part, the SIDE EFFECTS are even more dangerous! And anyone who isn't careful could overdose. What ever happened to "you are what you eat"? Apparently, we're not eating right so our health isn't right. It's a vicious cycle and the drug companies seem to love it. There are some advantages to holistic medicine. It's not for everyone, and "legal" drugs are not for everyone either. Each person must weigh the decisions/side effects/consequences for him/herself.
  • mamacrash 2012/06/17 21:04:04
    mamacrash
    Some are actually worse and people get hooked on them or die from proper use on a regular basis. Just because the manufacturer put 'side effects' on the slip of paper you are given with your prescription does not absolve them of guilt.
  • Slightly Sophisticated 2012/06/17 21:02:56
    Slightly Sophisticated
    Yes, definitely! In some cases, they can be even worse than illegal drugs. However, they make marijuana illegal? When it has no history of ever killing anyone? What sense does that make? Legal drugs can be very lethal, and many very addictive.
  • Elizabeth 2012/06/17 20:35:51
    Elizabeth
    Of course! I mean, legal and illegal and actually sometimes be the same drug, but not used the same way.

2014/08/21 14:05:57