Are Corporations PEOPLE??!!

BlueRepublican 2012/07/13 00:40:28
The Supreme Court thinks so. So do these guys below. What do you think?
romney obama

• Steve 2012/07/13 02:55:20
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    Steve
    +9
    They aren't just people, they're super-people !!!

Not only do they enjoy the right of free speech, they get favored tax breaks. Also, when a corporation gets convicted of a crime (and this has happened), nobody goes to jail. In my next life, I want to be a corporation, too !!!

speech favored tax breaks corporation convicted crime jail life corporation

• guardian 2013/07/26 14:51:49
    Yes, they are people (tell me why)
    guardian
    Coperations are a body of exutives who are people who control a company . With out people you have no company.
  • Bastion 2013/07/11 19:24:36
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    Bastion
    why corporations are not people why corporations are not people https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.aka...
  • Wake The Sheeple 2013/07/11 02:13:36 (edited)
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    Wake The Sheeple
    No, but under the Uniform Commercial Code which has governed this nation since Lincoln declared martial law you are a corporation. Your birth certificate and social security card are articles or incorporation.
  • Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL 2013/07/11 01:07:43
    Yes, they are people (tell me why)
    Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL
    For legal reason, a corporation is a "person" to be able to hold that corporation accountable for actions in tort settings.
  • PrettieReptar 2013/07/11 01:00:30
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    PrettieReptar
    +1
    To me a corporation is an "entity" not a person. A person is a human being. Criminy, this whole argument of calling a corporation a person reeks of postmodernism!

When the founders wrote the Declaration of Independence, do you really think they were referring to corporations? Sheesh!
  • Gary 2013/07/06 23:37:57
    Yes, they are people (tell me why)
    Gary
    In the same rational legal sense that Unions are "people".
    Yes, they are people (tell me why)
    As far as the law is concerned corporations are to be treated the same as an "individual."
    The pretrial jury instruction in California states "A corporation is a party to this lawsuit. [Name of Corporation] is entitled to the same fair and impartial treatment that you would give to an individual."
  • Shae 2013/07/01 14:38:36
    Yes, they are people (tell me why)
    Shae
    +1
    FedEx = 300,000 employees
    Apple = 80,000 employees
    UPS = 398,300 employees

and many many more coroporations that employee much of America's workforce.
    Coroporations pay for their employees to attend college.
    Help their families
    Pay taxes through income tax
    etc.

Would you tell any of these people who work for a coroporation that they are not people?
  • Ken Shae 2013/07/02 17:36:01
    +1
    You are right, and corporations not only pay income taxes, their shareholders are taxed again when the corporate profits are paid out as dividends.
  • Shae Ken 2013/07/02 18:09:37
    Shae
    +1
    Plus if they have any manufacturing they are paying sales tax on supplies.

Thank you.... :)
  • Ken Shae 2013/07/02 19:57:14
    +1
    And yet the left, and the OWS 99%ers hate corporations with a passion.
  • Shae Ken 2013/07/02 20:21:54
    Shae
    +1
    LOL, funny they don't mind the money coming from them :)
  • Prettie... Shae 2013/07/11 00:53:01 (edited)
    PrettieReptar
    Paying tax cannot be used as a basis for granting corporations personhood. Many corporations pay no tax. This is because they pay lobbyists to influence legislators on their behalf for special tax breaks. And guess what? Congress modifies the tax code. Neat trick, eh? Wouldn’t be nice if human beings, aka, “persons” had that kind of pull with Congress?

When the founders wrote the Declaration of Independence do you think they were referring to these artificial entities called corporations?!

Edit: adding missing words, "as a" in the first sentence.
  • Shae Prettie... 2013/07/11 15:18:33
    Shae
    So the thousands of people working for these corporations do not pay taxes?
    The thousands of people working for these corporate taxes do not have FICA taking out taxes from their paychecks?
  • Prettie... Shae 2013/07/12 14:09:02
    PrettieReptar
    What about them? Persons who work at corporations already get to cast their vote at the voting booth.

Why should we allow corporations to influence our elections with their money? Does their money count more than your vote?

Do you understand what a corporation is? Why companies incorporate?

Yes, corporations, as an employer do have to match employee FICA contributions up to an annualized cap set by law. But guess what? They also get to write it off this contribution as a tax expense on their books! So what is your point exactly?
  • Shae Prettie... 2013/07/12 16:51:14
    Shae
    Small business can do that too.

And the majority corporations write off is charitable contributions.

There is nothing wrote with working to make a profit.
  • Prettie... Shae 2013/07/13 23:20:28
    PrettieReptar
    A small business can be incorporated. I don't understand your point.

The way something is written off doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

Corporations are using their money to influence our elections and our laws. It's a major conflict of interest. Government and business in bed together like that is fascism.

Does this sound right to you?

"We the Corporations of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."? [preamble to the Constitution]
  • Shae Prettie... 2013/07/15 21:19:00
    Shae
    Corporations are in business for one reason and one reason only... to make a profit, there is nothing wrong with making a profit.

They pay taxes through income tax. Trust me I've worked for many corporations and I still have FICA taking taxes out of my paycheck.

Corporations better their employees. Many corporations pay for their employees to improve their education by paying for college. This allows schools to accept another applicant who is paying for school which frees up another spot for someone who needs grant or scholarship or finanical aide.

Corporations give HUGE donations to many charitable organizations which help those in need that would never recieve that kind of money on such a large scale.
  • Prettie... Shae 2013/07/19 16:17:01
    PrettieReptar
    Most companies, whether incorporated or not are for profit businesses. So?

So what if they pay taxes? Many don't. Again, pointless. They match FICA contributions. So? They also write them off as an expense.

Corporations are no better than non-incorporated companies. Until you get a grip on why companies incorporate, this will not make sense to you. And once you do, you'll see why I keep telling you your arguments are pointless.

No offense to you personally--you seem really clueless on this issue. Do a little research on this. Not to win an argument with me but to better your knowledge on the subject. Seriously.
  • BlackwinterG36C 2012/08/11 09:53:23
    Yes, they are people (tell me why)
    BlackwinterG36C
    Corporations aren't people they are wicked entities that are the soul of the wicked capitalist machine that wishes to eat babies and old ladies. Only counter-revolutionaries would consider corporations,companies, and small businesses people.
  • Ken Blackwi... 2013/07/02 19:58:51
    I hope that post is "tongue-in-cheek," it certainly sounds like it.
  • RageFury 2012/07/18 05:43:41
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    RageFury
    They don't breathe.
  • Contarded Guru Chickenhawk 2012/07/16 14:41:18
  • Shae Contard... 2013/07/01 14:39:51
    Shae
    +1
    You believe that if you cut Fred Smith (chairman of the board, creator of FedEx) he wouldn't bleed?
    How about Bill Gates? same with him?
  • Contard... Shae 2013/07/01 16:04:41 (edited)
  • Shae Contard... 2013/07/01 16:19:27
    Shae
    +1
    You are saying over 100,000 employees wouldn't bleed if a corporate building were to blow up?

Would all those people bleed less than if a mom and pop shop blew up and the employee working in there was hurt?
  • Contard... Shae 2013/07/01 17:07:34 (edited)
  • Shae Contard... 2013/07/01 17:14:45
    Shae
    Is a corporation only the building?
  • Contard... Shae 2013/07/01 17:29:36
  • Shae Contard... 2013/07/01 18:08:50
    Shae
    And sometimes its hundreds of people who are working together to help the company they work for.
  • Contard... Shae 2013/07/01 18:19:36
  • Shae Contard... 2013/07/01 19:38:46
    Shae
    So when an employee gets their education paid for by the company, vacations by the company, 401 K by the company, etc. then go work for themselves or for another company they should pay back the company?
  • DefendnProtect 2012/07/15 19:19:15
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    DefendnProtect
    +3
    corporations are the masters

Corporate owners are people, often controlling gov reg to prop up their cartels like Obomneycare and TBTF bailouts.
    goldman sachs rules the world

blankfein
  • Beccy 2012/07/14 21:26:15
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    +1
    Wonder what the court was paid to come up with that ruling?
  • Lindy... 2012/07/14 16:58:05
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    Lindy...
    +2
    I think Mr. Lincoln and our other founders would strongly disagree with making corporations people. Corporations are NOT people and thay do not have what's best for America on their agendas. All they care about is power, control and personal wealth. Most of the 'too big to fail' corporations are evil and corrupt and they exist in the face of our Constitution, which forbids monopolies so that no company can grow so large that they endanger our economic systems or wield unwarranted power . They'll be the destruction of America in the end. Mr. Lincoln's remarks are even more relevant in today's political environment!
    "As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong it's reign by working on the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the republic is destroyed."
    -Abraham Lincoln 1864
  • texasred 2012/07/14 00:46:16
    Yes, they are people (tell me why)
    texasred
    As someone who worked for a corporation for almost 30 years and someone who represented that corporation with other corporations, customers, vendors... yes. People that I worked with outside the corporation didn't look at me as "the corporation." They looked at me as a person who represented the corporation.
  • aherbert 2012/07/13 22:59:37
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    aherbert
    +2
    mitt romney nope

Remember the young lifeguard that worked for a corporation that fired him because he left his post and save another human being life. Corporation thought that since the lifeguard left his post he put the corporation in danger as no one was there to monitor the specific area however, the person … the lifeguard thought he should just save a human beings life … someone that needed his expertise. We all know how the corporation rewarded the employee … yep he got fired … corporations look at things at a corporate level … people look at things at a person to person level …
  • Matt 2012/07/13 19:31:04
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    Matt
  • alun.palmer 2012/07/13 19:18:42
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    alun.palmer
    They are persons, not people
  • beavith1 2012/07/13 15:34:34
    NO, they are not people (tell me why)
    beavith1
    they aren't people. they are corporations. its just a construct that allows a business to continue on after its founders die or leave. that it is owned by stockholders...

2014/09/02 02:13:54