Are CEO's overpaid?

SAM 2008/02/08 20:08:49
Of course! CEOs are paid too much for what they do; too much more than their average worker.
No. Physicians and surgeons make more!
According to a study, one is three directors think most CEO's are being overpaid!
The University of Southern California Marshall School of Business, with leadership consultants Heidrick & Struggles, released new information Tuesday on the oft-discussed, controversial topic of CEO remuneration. The research shows that one in three company directors feel most CEOs are overpaid.

This is the 11th year Heidrick & Struggles has conducted the survey. It covers compensation, pay discrepancies within the C-suite and Securities and Exchange Commission regulations on proxy filings.

Ironically, the people who have a say in what the chief makes are the very same people who have a problem with it.

The study says that 32% of respondents think the CEO compensation is "too high in most cases." This represents a significant increase over the response of board members in the years from 1998 to 2001, when just 25% of respondents felt this way.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, CEO board members didn't agree.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/finance/article...

• Headhunter 13 2008/02/08 20:24:11 (edited)
    Of course! CEOs are paid too much for what they do; too much more than their ...
    Headhunter 13
    +3
    Especially the ones who companies lose money and lose for the stockholders. That is to common. A CEO's salary should be tied to the growth of a company not just profitablility. Exxon b4ecame the most profitable company in the world and did not grow at all they just created more profit at our expense (would that be profit or profat?). Insujrfance Companies increase profit by denying the care you pay for with premiums. Hospitals gouge you. and on and on. I as a small business owner and all for profits but when destroy the middle class and our nations economy the enough is enough

• Eddie 2008/02/25 06:39:33 (edited)
    No. Physicians and surgeons make more!
    Eddie
    It's not that physicians and surgeons make more, it's that CEO's have worked very very hard to get where they are (unless their daddies made the connections for them lol), and they make major decisions for the companies well being. There is a lot of weight on their shoulders.
  • Jen**GPAC** 2008/02/20 20:45:07
    Jen**GPAC**
    Yeah.. these little b holes think they are soo important because they are paid too much.. they don't do any work.. just use the companies money and take all the credit..
  • driven girl lnf 2008/02/11 22:19:57
  • nick driven ... 2008/02/12 00:43:40
    nick
    +1
    I think these ceos deserve every ounce of what the earn they have to put in the time to work there way up the job ladder so I fully agree with you
  • driven ... nick 2008/02/12 02:44:27
  • ☺that's all she wrote... 2008/02/09 03:47:52
    ☺that's all she wrote...
    Most people to not get paid what they are worth; they get paid what they NEGOTIATE. And like it or not, that's part of living in a capitalistic democracy.
    BTW: I doubt that most physicians and surgeons make more; not in the age of HMO's and managed care. Deduct their malpractice premiums off the top and see what's left.
  • Magzilla 2008/02/08 22:36:59
    Magzilla
    +1
    Yes. I read somewhere, I think in "Two Income Trap" that CEO's on average made 10% more than their lowest payed employee I think back in the 50s, now it is 100% or more than their lowest payed employee. I am going to keep looking to see if I can find where I read that.

Effects of Excessive CEO Pay on U.S. Society
    "There is a growing trend in the United States to
    recruit and retain corporate CEOs by offering
    extravagant pay packages. Excessive pay, defined as
    compensation that is 20% or greater than the national
    average CEO salary, has changed the relationship
    between CEOs and stakeholders. While the free market
    society can present valid reasons for the escalation in
    wages, the overwhelming majority of data concludes that
    the impact on society is detrimental. Contemporary
    American author David Callahan has coined the phrase
    “cheating culture” to describe the current decay of
    ethical behavior in the U.S. and how it contributes to
    CEO corruption and unethical behavior by stakeholders.
    This paper will provide supporting evidence to validate
    the negative impact excessive CEO wage gaps have on
    society."

Two Income Trap

society."

Two Income Trap
  • Nina ~COB~Yes We Did 2008/02/08 21:21:39
    Nina ~COB~Yes We Did
    Abso-damn-lutely!
  • ;-/ 2008/02/08 21:15:41
  • volkl77-Ike Ate My Beach House 2008/02/08 20:47:53
    No. Physicians and surgeons make more!
    volkl77-Ike Ate My Beach House
    +1
    This is really easy.

We have a free market economy. Everyone is entitled to earn as much as they choose to. If a company feels you are worth $XX million a year to them, more power to you.
    Take responsibility for your life people. Stop passing the buck or looking for excuses. You are not owed anything. If you want to make a million bucks, quit talking about the other guy and go do it.
  • Spider20 2008/02/08 20:47:39
    Spider20
    +1
    I think they are...like these people who run companies that are losing Billions of dollars.....(can you say, GM?).....and not only get those high salaries, but get paid millions to leave the company after they've driven it into the ground......
  • SAM 2008/02/08 20:26:38
    SAM
    Lets take a look at former CEO of Home Depot.... Total Compensation: $22.8 mil
    Headhunter 13
    +3
  • g 2008/02/08 20:21:17
  • Space Monkey 2008/02/08 20:11:51
    Space Monkey
    +2
    When workers get health insurance gutted or cut out totally while the cost of it keeps rising exponentially every year so some dickweed can keep all 6 of his houses...? Hell yeah... enough should just be enough at some point. People are too damn greedy these days.

2014/07/22 23:11:44