Are Arizona's immigration laws just?

L.A. Times 2013/02/19 15:36:14
Related Topics: Arizona, Immigration

"It's routine for immigration officials in Arizona to detain people suspected of being in the country illegally.

Monday, however, the detention of two men — an immigrant rights activist and a father of six in Tucson — sparked protests, frustrated local authorities and illustrated the difficulties of complying with SB 1070, the state's controversial immigration enforcement law."

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-...

• FanOreilly 2013/02/19 17:17:28
    FanOreilly
    +32
    You mean the same laws we have had in the USA for the past 100 years?

Naw, let's drop the law because illegals vote Democrat.

• i don't care 2013/10/12 05:19:04
    i don't care
    why not ask for the papers, hitler did it.....
  • Phil 2013/03/04 11:29:55
    Phil
    If they want to live here, GO THROUGH THE IMMIGRATION PROCESS! Or stay home... We don't need unregistered citizens here sucking up taxpayer money.
  • Gingah Bread 2013/03/04 03:04:08
    Gingah Bread
    +1
    I like Texas' laws better. If there's a illegal immigrant on your property, blow it's teeny tiny brain out.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2013/03/03 02:07:03
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +1
    Actually we should honor all Mexicans by mirroring their immigration laws.
  • rcardon 2013/02/27 19:57:15
    rcardon
    +1
    If they come into our country legally, they have nothing to fear from immigration laws. So, be smart, and do it the right way.
  • dallasjoe 2013/02/26 20:03:46
    dallasjoe
    If you are going to arrest the workers arrest those people who hire them as well
  • Charlie 2013/02/25 03:55:33 (edited)
    Charlie
    +1
    Let me think. I've been around for 57 yrs. and for as long as I can remember it has been a law that if you were over the age of 18 you had to have a state or some type of suitable I.D. and if a cop for some reason while performing he's duty ask and you didn't have it, you could be locked up for up to three days giving them time to satisfy themselves that you were in fact who you claimed to be. As for as I know that has not changed. Hell were I live if they pull you over for speeding they are subject to ask every adult in the car for I.D. And can take you to jail if you don't have it and if you do they will still run an NCIC on you. And they do this regardless of race or age.
  • NinaBill 2013/02/25 00:13:27
    NinaBill
    +1
    Just? Yes, but definitely ot tough enough. I've seen first hand the devistation these illegals create and it's not pretty.
  • gimini210 2013/02/25 00:04:38
    gimini210
    +1
    In fact they are way too soft on illegals, ask any rancher who has to deal with cattle losses, polluted water and the trash illegals leave for them to deal with. I would put up six foot electric fences and post in English only to protect my property and I'd make sure it had plenty of juice to stop illegal. We would be prosecuted in any one of the countries these people come from without hesitation.
  • Austin 2013/02/23 05:26:10
    Austin
  • Kaye 2013/02/22 16:53:36
    Kaye
    +1
    If there is even a chance that they were illegal I would hold them too.Our country is way over populated.A lot of these people just come here to start trouble
  • bmt 2013/02/22 00:07:03
    bmt
    +2
    Not tough enough
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2013/02/21 21:43:14
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +2
    They are not strict enough! Until not one single illegal crosses the border MORE enforcement is needed.
  • Big E Flash,a... 2013/02/23 14:04:07
    Big E
    +2
    Thank you...there killing the job market for working class people like construction workers!!!!
  • Miss Fiona 2013/02/21 21:41:15
    Miss Fiona
    +3
    Definitely. We must patrol our borders and save our country.
  • Sid DaBunneh 2013/02/21 20:50:01
    Sid DaBunneh
    They're friggin' unconstitutional. Please secede when Texas does so we can nuke you and your death panels into the stone age.
  • Flash,a... Sid DaB... 2013/02/21 21:42:11
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +2
    They should all move to your state,-where's that?
  • Kaye Flash,a... 2013/02/22 16:55:00
  • Marvelo... Flash,a... 2013/02/25 23:22:40
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    Sid lives in the State of Denial. (That's on of the 57 States Obama visited when he was running for pResident.)
  • Big E Sid DaB... 2013/02/23 14:12:56
    Big E
    +1
    maybe when one is standing beside you in front of your boss and he say's (I'll work for 1/2 of what your paying him!) and your boss give's you a pink slip maybe you'll feel the same pain millions of other American's feel !!!
  • Big E Big E 2013/02/23 14:17:13
    Big E
    +1
    Not only are they taken American job's there lowing wage's of millions!!!
  • Joker~RWAC/CFM 2013/02/21 20:17:53
  • Just Jenn for Now 2013/02/21 18:57:20
    Just Jenn for Now
    +3
    I have to agree with this because the point is plain and simple: You're not here on legal terms.

I know it isn't EASY to become a legal citizen with the amount asked for, and it doesn't help that Mexico pretty much doesn't believe in teaching English anywhere, but it isn't worth breaking the law to come here.

Sorry but if you have no right to be here, then you're out.
  • Big E Just Je... 2013/02/23 14:29:53
    Big E
    +1
    It shouldn't be EAZY to become an American citizen WE were the greatest nation on the plantet.... WE CAN BE AGAIN ! But we need to quit giving America away like its candy!!! And quit letting other county's walk all over US..!!!!
  • Just Je... Big E 2013/02/24 06:55:13
    Just Jenn for Now
    Why not? Even though the trip alone was grueling back in the days, it was EASY for US, or rather our ancestors, to conquer the native Americans back then, seeing as they had no immune system to the diseases WE brought, bows and arrows instead of rifles, and sticks and stones instead of blades.

It was also considerably EASY when OUR immigrants committed total GENOCIDE on them. There was no such thing as a TEST back then, it was downright invade and conquer foreign territory, and here we are today bitching about starving people in poverty trying to save their families jumping the fence - that they wouldn't even NEED to jump in the first place if a green card wasn't so damn expensive and difficult to get.

Oh I'm with you about not just handing out things - I DO believe you NEED to come here the LEGAL way, and I'm SICK of the government granting all FREE STUFF to ones that DO come here by illegal terms, but once I learned how difficult it was to become an illegal American citizen, I was flabbergasted. It shouldn't be easy as pie, but it ALSO shouldn't be as costly as it is.
  • Big E Just Je... 2013/02/24 15:38:54
    Big E
    +1
    Wait till one of them standing in front of your boss alongside you and that guy says oh work for half of what he's getting and then you get a pink slip from your boss then you'll feel the same pain that millions of Americans feel by them undercutting our wages to stealing our jobs and creating a downward spiral for the working-class force that are in construction landscaping food-service housekeeping you name it go's on and on .........Your whining about things that happened 200 years ago is not in the concern of modern day America .. That's a relevant!!
  • Big E Big E 2013/02/24 15:44:00
    Big E
    +1
    As to your question about how difficult it is to become an American I believe that it should be difficult to become an American you should want it more anything if you want to come here!!!! We don't need a wave of uneducated people coming into our country!!!
  • MtDuffer 2013/02/21 17:31:10
    MtDuffer
    +4
    The problem with the imagration problem is that you can stack all of those laws on top of each other and they still will not be enforced. In this Country we love to pass bills, but we really do not like to enforce them.
  • tytyvyllus MtDuffer 2013/03/12 23:04:43
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    that we do, indeed
  • toots 2013/02/21 17:11:41
    toots
    +2
    Too bad Obama is blocking them.
  • Rdtourist 2013/02/21 17:08:54
    Rdtourist
    +1
    Arizona has the same immigration law as Connecticutt, no difference at all, there is some variance in ENFORCEMENT of Federal law in this area but Arizona has no independent immigration law, period.
  • Blueskys 2013/02/21 16:31:59
    Blueskys
    I'm not sure.
    The issue is Immigration has become invasion. Too may have come and we have lost our country and future.
    Where is justice here?
    Should we attack the countries they come from and expand into them so we have room for all these immigrants?
  • bmt Blueskys 2013/02/22 00:10:14
    bmt
    +2
    Attack the country they came from ? ...dude the progressive liberal politicians (Obama) want them here so they can become there base
  • Marvelous Wildfire 2013/02/21 14:00:21
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +3
    I wasn't sure, did this article highlight a flaw in the law I was unaware of?
    Then I read the article, and asked myself, if the law was just, and the only answer I could arrive at was . . . *ABSOLUTELY!*

If anything, the law doesn't go far enough, like "2 weeks on a chain-gang for the first offense."
  • Wohuz 2013/02/21 12:04:22
    Wohuz
    Screw imaginary lines! We are one planet and one species.
  • Blueskys Wohuz 2013/02/21 16:41:19
    Blueskys
    +3
    No we are not.
    Mass immigration has destroyed the USA. Hate groups abound, Racism is rampant among the immigrants, and include ethnic hatreds with each other and us., and sexist hate groups of Feminists
    The tolerant liberal white people are being destroyed. Maybe on death bed.
  • Wohuz Blueskys 2013/02/22 00:13:38
  • MtDuffer Wohuz 2013/02/21 17:20:37
    MtDuffer
    +1
    Oh Boy, we are of different origins and traditions and religions. Just look at the species of dogs --- yep dogs ---- they too are of different orgins --don't know about the traditions or religions but they don't even get along with each other and you expect an intelligent humanbeing to get along with everyone else?! As in the Dog world it will never happen.
  • Wohuz MtDuffer 2013/02/22 00:12:33
    Wohuz
    +1
    All dogs evolved from the wolf.
  • MtDuffer Wohuz 2013/02/23 21:08:59
    MtDuffer
    Thats true! And, the oldest human remains where found in Africa and I believe her name was "Lucy". But there were no documents in proving that she was born there, had children or what race much less her real name. Now, most people believe that "Lucy" was Black, there again no proof as to the race. Now, the basic question would be this. Who really cares?

2014/07/30 23:31:10