Are Americans self-absorbed and uncaring about the rest of the world?

ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2012/02/29 13:54:10
self absorbed

Self absorbed American Capitalist

Americans care about the world
    +8
    Americans give more to the rest of the world than any other country.

• Mark 2012/03/05 16:50:57
    Mark
    Fantastic people.
    At least the ones I have met.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/03/04 23:15:25
    Americans only care about America
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    I meant to say no. I'm Canadian, so I wouldn't know personally. But I'm pretty sure as a whole Americans are nice, after all, most of the people on sodahead are american, and a strong majority of them are nice people. But I have met a few individuals who know me and other Canadians as seal bashing, syrup eating, hosers. But that's a VERY small group of people.
  • GeorgeAMartini 2012/03/02 08:38:01
    GeorgeAMartini
    That is why we donate more money to disaster relief than anyone else. Americans are the most charitable people on the face of the earth. We don't bother to educate ourselves (as a whole) on the rest of the world, but we sure as hell aren't uncaring.
  • Khawla 2012/03/01 11:18:01
    Americans only care about America
    Khawla
    +1
    america care only about then selvessss
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/03/01 04:48:04
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    The only possible answer is not listed,
    Some americans care and other americans don't
    we call that freewill
  • A Founding Father 2012/03/01 03:55:24 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    +1
    You didn't leave an option for a responsible answer. Ask Bill and Melinda Gates, and ask Franklin Graham, about their concerns and you will get an entirely different answer than if
    you ask the RWNJs who post selfish rants here on SH. And, you will get an entirely different answer from a guy named Ron Paul, who seems blind to all the pain and suffering in the world, except the state of Texas and maybe Alabama.

Most Americans are much concerned about the rest of the world, but the right wing nutjobs seem to control the minds of about half the population, so the other half must work twice as long and twice as hard. Did you know that more than a dozen babies and children freeze to death every night in Afghanistan's tent cities where the refugees from our warmongering are housed? Did you ever see a frozen baby? Can you imagine waking up and finding your baby cold and stiff as a frozen fish? Wouldn't that make you want to get up and cheer for a
    thingy called "Democracy" the Americans are telling about?
  • Jayfeather 2012/03/01 03:46:58
    Americans care about the world
    Jayfeather
    +1
    A little too much. We need to focus our gaze on the domestic front which is falling to tatters.
  • A Found... Jayfeather 2012/03/01 04:00:00
    A Founding Father
    Yea, my Ipad is outdated and my thirty aps need to be updated to the new iPad3. I can't wait and there are newer private jets out there that are 50 knots faster than my six year old plane. God, we are just failing to keep up with the Romneys and I am so frustrated.
  • chgo 2012/03/01 03:28:53
    chgo
    +1
    People like conservatives and radical independents and libertarians tend to quite full of themselves. They populate every society, and, in fact, most all of them have at one time or another exaggerated their own talents and character to make themselves feel better about themselves. Latest research recently published in the journal Psychological Science by a team of 19 psychologists studying people from all around the world say people in more unequal societies — like Singapore and the United States — “tend to view themselves as superior to others,” But, on the other hand, people in societies with less income inequality — Japan and Germany, for instance — tend to see themselves as more similar to their peers
    http://pss.sagepub.com/conten...

Conservatives tend to have lower Cognitive ability than do liberals, which explains why they have greater prejudice beliefs. Plus, their right-Wing ideology is linked to low intergroup contact. t cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice.
    http://pss.sagepub.com/conten...
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/03/01 02:42:54
    Americans care about the world
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    I think there are 2 Americas: The people's America and official America.

People around the world know that individual Americans reach out fast and massively to victims of natural disaster. But our institutions (government, corporations) are NOT perceived as caring about anything except American interests (oil).

Generally speaking, other people see Americans as children: Generous and fun, but with a limited outlook on things outside our borders. We are seen as selfish, immature, and wasteful. Being individually generous isn't at odds with being nationally selfish.
  • pjwinkler65 2012/03/01 01:26:45
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    Oh yes indeed
  • Texas Gal 2012/03/01 01:12:43
    Americans care about the world
    Texas Gal
    +2
    Americans do care about other parts of the world - especially when disaster strikes. But, we have a lot of our own problems and disasters to deal with also. We have adults and children who go to bed at night without enough to eat - sometimes no food at all - with bad living conditions - some living in their cars or in a shelter - not warm enough in the winter and burning up in the summer, can't afford the medical care that they need or the medicines that they need. Is there something wrong with saying it's all right to think of what needs to be fixed here before we go looking elsewhere? I don't want to see anyone suffering, but realistically we (the U.S.A.) can't fix everything for everybody else - and keep ignoring what's right at our own doorstep.
  • cinbadl 2012/03/01 00:41:58
  • Marie-J... cinbadl 2012/03/01 10:19:10
    Marie-Jacqueline
    Distortion of the actual facts, historical, economical and humanitarian.

That is the selfabsorption of the U.S. in their own percieved greatness.
    Making them blind of the real U.S. with its good and bad, its humanitarian side and its selfisness, its generosity and wastefullness, its believe in peace and eagerness to go to war,
    wanting gratitude but don't notice it when given, wanting help but not accepting it when given.
  • cinbadl Marie-J... 2012/03/01 17:28:44
  • Marie-J... cinbadl 2012/03/01 23:29:07
  • Tim 2012/02/29 23:52:03
    Tim
    +2
    Undoubtedly. You write dates differently than the rest of the world; you still use US variations on the old imperial system of weights and measures, whereas the rest of the world has gone, or is in the process of going, metric; you use an abbreviated version of the English language while the rest of the English-speaking world uses a much bigger dictionary; you stupidly believe that the Christian god is always on your side, even when you are in the wrong - Vietnam, Grenada and Iraq, for example; you still live to a determination made after the Civil War that you will only fight wars in other peoples countries, never again in your own; you built an empire by bullying other countries into adopting your financial system, and nearly sent the whole world broke; even though you have built that empire, the American people still only consider domestic issues when electing presidents and governments, whereas you should also be considering what effect your choices will have on the rest of the world's people. Need I go on?
  • jokeriser 2012/02/29 23:44:09
    jokeriser
    +4
    we don't even care about other Americans
  • Just Another Girl (5) 2012/02/29 22:36:33
    Americans care about the world
    Just Another Girl (5)
    +2
    America gives more then any other country. But right now we are at a time when America needs to think about America or we wont have anything left to give. Nothing wrong with taking some time to think only of yourself.
  • tea for... Just An... 2012/02/29 22:53:39
    tea for you
    +2
    lets start by removing armies from foreign countries
  • Candace Washington 2012/02/29 22:29:06
    Candace Washington
    +3
    oh yeah. that's why the rest of the world has a negative view on us. the majority of us are ignorant
  • Timche 2012/02/29 22:09:31
    Americans only care about America
    Timche
    +2
    iT's pure truth....who says the opposite lies for sure...sorry americans.. ;) I'm just sincere..it's good to care about yourself :)
  • jubil8 ... Timche 2012/03/01 01:59:35
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Not everyone is lying, Timche -- many are just plain ignorant.
  • Marie-Jacqueline 2012/02/29 21:45:27
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +2
    Yes, about the image of the U.S. in how they percieve it to be!

However comparing it with the actual facts the image they have is one of self-complacency.

http://www.dailykos.com/story...

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/...
    usa foreign aid reality
    Americans care about the world
    +2
    And not to sound hard-hearted, THAT has been our downfall. We as Americans DO care about the rest ofo the world and now its to our detriment.... we can NO LONGER be the worlds babysitter. We need to start getting out of some of these countries, withdraw our foreign aind and focus on fix our OWN problems. And especially in the middle east I think a bit of "Tough love" is called for. They need to GROW UP and stand on their own.

Call all our people home
    Stop ALL foreign aid
    Fix OUR problems
  • tea for... Lady Wh... 2012/02/29 22:54:31
    tea for you
    +1
    you forgot stop all foreign wars
  • Lady Wh... tea for... 2012/03/01 09:58:20
    LOLZ that too! Sorry!
  • william raggett 2012/02/29 20:53:45
    Americans care about the world
    william raggett
    +2
    Most of us are very caring
  • santanasmooth 2012/02/29 20:48:46
    santanasmooth
    +2
    While I don't think all Americans think only of them selves , the majority I think would fall into the only take care of their own category
  • Doors 2012/02/29 20:12:02
    Americans only care about America
    Doors
    +4
    Ok, let me explain. The Americans who can actually DO something to help the world, really only care about themselves, while people like me (who have little to no power) actually seem to care at least as much as we can with how little we actually KNOW about the world.
  • Willy 2012/02/29 20:08:59
    Willy
    If it wasn't for America, the rest of the world would have been under a dictatorship, a long time ago, but they're too stupid to understand this. Obama is trying to hasten their goal along though.

obama world dictatorship

obama world dictatorship
  • Lady Wh... Willy 2012/02/29 21:31:04
    +2
    oh PUH-LEEZE....
  • Sunset moon 2012/02/29 20:00:18
    Americans care about the world
    Sunset moon
    +1
    At least all the ones I know do....
  • Vitalani 2012/02/29 19:55:12
    Vitalani
    +2
    You can't just make mass generalizations that are impossible to quantify. Things don't work like that.
  • Ozymandias Vitalani 2012/02/29 20:09:56
    Ozymandias
    +2
    Yes! Agreed.

300 million people live in this country, of countless races, religious denominations and political inclinations. Its absurd to even attempt to summarize the inclinations of such a diverse land in a single statement.

I have met many people who would reside on both sides of aisle. In fact I was once a very heated pro-military war-mongering fool myself.
  • Chris- ... Ozymandias 2012/02/29 23:50:22
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    Nicely said.
  • Vitalani Ozymandias 2012/03/01 00:16:14
    Vitalani
    Exactly.
  • ryuu khan 2012/02/29 19:53:37
  • Lady Wh... ryuu khan 2012/02/29 21:31:31
    BINGO!!!!
  • ryuu khan Lady Wh... 2012/03/01 17:08:51

2014/07/30 03:08:41