Appropriate for Obama to Throw $40K-a-Plate Birthday Fundraiser?

Recession? What recession? As the debt talks in Washington drag on and our country balances on the precipice of a potential financial Armageddon on August 2, there are clearly some folks who have extra cash to splash around.

According to reports, President Obama is planning to charge up to $38,500 per couple for tickets to his 50th birthday party-cum-fundraiser.

The party, slated to take place a day after the debt deadline, August 3, will unroll at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom, where high rollers can expect VIP seating a star-studded concert with entertainment expected from Chi-town native Jennifer Hudson, among other unannounced acts.

The event will have several levels, including a 4 p.m. concert for which some limited $50 tickets will be sold, $1,000 tickets for premium seats with a hosted bar, $10,000 for preferred seating to the show and souvenir photos with the president and some $200 general admission tickets.

White House officials said despite the ongoing, tense budget talks, the celebration will go on, but could be canceled if a debt deal isn't reached by the deadline.

According to figures provided this week, Obama has raised a combined $86 million for his re-election campaign and for the Democratic Party over the past three months, nearly triple the amount ($35 million) that Republican candidates have collectively raised so far.

Is it a good time for this kind of lavish affair?

• Dixienc 2011/07/15 17:11:52
    Dixienc
    +24
    Sure let him celebrate. Turning 50 is a big thing. He deserves a little time to get away from the stress of the job. Who cares if the rest of us, me included, work on our birthdays like I did yesterday. He's special don't ya know......

PLEASE NOTE: The above statement was made with as much sarcasm as I could come up with in print. I in no way feel the way I stated. He's scum that feels he's above us mere peons that he is supposed to represent. I worked, as I'm sure millions of others have done, on my birthday yesterday. He needs to keep his ass on the job and stop all the fkin partying at our expense.

• Donn Wr... gloria 2011/07/19 19:58:03
    Donn Wright
    He is collecting the money to get reelected, but "We the People" are footing the bill
    for him to put on the gala affair. That's why not!
  • Avenged7 Donn Wr... 2011/07/19 22:28:22
    Avenged7
    His campaign is paying for it!!!!
  • Donn Wr... Avenged7 2011/07/19 23:43:42
    Donn Wright
    Really.... who do you think is paying for his entourage and security for the event?
  • Avenged7 Donn Wr... 2011/07/21 01:32:39
    Avenged7
    Well of course the secret service is his security, just like any president would have. OH that's right I forget, you right wingers have a different set of rules for Obama. JEEZ you guys never cease to amaze me with your hypocrisy!!!
  • Donn Wr... Avenged7 2011/07/21 20:50:23
    Donn Wright
    For the record, I don't care if it's Obama or any other politician, when they spend the People's money to further their career, it pisses me off.

If you bother to do even a little bit of research, you will find that Obama has the largest and most expensive entourage of any President in history. (by a HUGE margin)

This little party of his will end up costing us at least a million dollars that we will have to borrow because we don't have it.

Do you understand that this Country is bankrupt because the bastards in power spend our hard earned tax dollars like there is no tomorrow?

What really upsets me about career politicians like Obama is that he has never earned an HONEST dollar in his life. He has made a living telling other people what they want to hear all his life. He doesn't know or care what it takes the rest of us to do to pay the taxes they waste so easily.

Just my .02.
  • Avenged7 Donn Wr... 2011/07/22 21:13:30
    Avenged7
    In the last 30 years Republican administrations ran up the debt the most, Clinton ran a surplus part of his 2 terms. So you blame Obama for his 2 and a half years he has been in office for the debt. Your so worried about the debt, but don't mention the Republican presidents who ran up most of the debt. Hm mm very convenient!!!
  • Donn Wr... Avenged7 2011/07/23 03:05:37
    Donn Wright
    Let me try this one more time..... Both parties are guilty of spending more than we can afford. The debt has increased exponentially since Obama took office, but that's not all his fault. Both parties approved a 700 billion dollar bailout just before he took office. That money and all the debt the Government assumed from insolvent banks, plus the entitlement programs we can't afford, plus the never ending wars that accomplish nothing but to make the whole world hate us, put us over the cliff, but the average person doesn't realize that yet.

Don't get me wrong, if Obama had his way with no opposition, he would spend us into oblivion in a month because he is trying very hard to establish a western European style socialist state. We can't afford that, nor do many of us want that, myself included. It's not working out too well in Europe either. All but one of the E.U. countries are bankrupt as well

In order to solve this, we will have to do several things to get our financial house in order. I think Bill O'Reilly has an excellent idea.
    He is suggesting lowering income tax rates across the board and adding a 1% Federal sales tax. That would get the 50% of the population that pays ZERO income tax to suddenly have to pay a bit of tax to help out and put more money in the pocket of the a...

He is suggesting lowering income tax rates across the board and adding a 1% Federal sales tax. That would get the 50% of the population that pays ZERO income tax to suddenly have to pay a bit of tax to help out and put more money in the pocket of the average worker at the same time. If you run the numbers, it would work like a charm and the debt would go away if we also cut out at least some of the enormous amount of money that the Federal Government currently just simply wastes and throws away.

By the way, a Federal sales tax is the ONLY kind of tax that the Constitution allows. Why? Because the rich would pay more tax than the poor automatically because they buy more stuff. If you don't want to pay the tax, don't buy the item. We could eliminate the I.R.S. overnight and have an actual fair taxation system, but that would be too easy and fair for the politicians we have now.

I think it's going to take another revolution to fix us. We'll see!
  • Avenged7 Donn Wr... 2011/08/15 16:48:03
    Avenged7
    AW, you are just repeating the same crap out of your hate machine that they have been putting out for years. First of all There are no western European socialist states. They are all capitalist countries. I know your machine keeps telling you that but they are not.

Most of Obama's deficit spending is from previous programs, before he became president. 2 wars, 2 tax reductions, part D for medicare, and TARP, all passed during the Bush administration. Yeah he has some of his own, but most of it he can't be blamed for. Also a least amount of taxes coming in to the treasury, since 1950. So this propaganda out of your machine, that Obama will spend us into oblivion, is just that PROPAGANDA, to beat him in 2012. So you should decipher whats real, and what is just crap from your machine! Republicans have spent more than Democrats, and that is fact. Sorry I hope you don't feint having me tell you this, but facts are facts!!!!

I gotta laugh out of your making the poor pay a tax even if they have zero income, but didn't mention the 60% of rich corporations that don't pay taxes. Some that made record profits!!! Oh you elitist just can't get out of your country club thinking!!!!
  • Donn Wr... Avenged7 2011/08/16 06:24:14
    Donn Wright
    I don't need a machine to mold my thinking. I can use a calculator. I was not a Bush fan either. He never met a spending bill he didn't like or a war he didn't want to start. If you actually read my post, you would know that.

As far as the Western European countries, they are not technically socialist, but they are all damn close to it. They also have had flat or negative growth for a decade and are drowning in debt. One never knows which of the EU countries are going to need the next bailout.

As far as political machines go, when are you libs going to stop blaming George Bush and start taking some responsibilities? You had control of both houses of Congress and the White House for 2 years and yet the debt grew more in 2 years than it did with Bush in 8 years.

Sounds to me like y'all are the ones that need to wake up and realize that you cannot borrow your way out of debt.

If Obamacare, the new E.P.A. regs, and the ridiculous new regs your man just put on the auto industry aren't repealed, there won't be a company or employee left in America to tax!

When are the Libs going to realize that you can't legislate innovation?

Hate? You are damn right I hate the bastards in Washington that are determined to spend the greatest country in history out of existence and take away every freedom...

Hate? You are damn right I hate the bastards in Washington that are determined to spend the greatest country in history out of existence and take away every freedom that our soldiers have fought and died for since the Revolutionary war.

That includes ALL of THEM, dem or repub. I say fire all of the crooked bastards and start over!

How's that for a machine?
  • Avenged7 Donn Wr... 2011/08/16 22:05:50
    Avenged7
    It isn't that I want to blame Bush, but facts are facts. This is silliness that came out of the right wing that all this debt is Obama's doings. Isn't it funny how the debt kept piling up over the years and the right wing didn't seem to worry about it, until Obama came into the presidency. I even remember when Cheney made his famous statement the debt didn't matter during Reagan. So I guess he wasn't worried about it. This is a manufactured crisis, only to defeat Obama, and the corporate media sucked right into it.
  • Donn Wr... Avenged7 2011/08/17 02:09:58
    Donn Wright
    You really think the national debt crises was engineered to defeat Obama?

Really?

Dude, you seriously need to see a shrink. I've heard of conspiracy theories, but that one is so far out there it's psychotic.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think engineered the debt crises
    in the EU? Bush? Cheney?
  • Avenged7 Donn Wr... 2011/08/17 19:09:22
    Avenged7
    OF COURSE THE RIGHT WING MANUFACTURED THIS DEBT CRISIS. Dude quit drinking the kool-aid. Just take off your blinders and look at the evidence!
    1, Never have the Republicans threatened not to vote to raise the debt ceiling. 2,They never mentioned the debt ceiling, during the election 3, During the last election, the Republicans promised that there most important goal, was too defeat Obama! Not the most important goal was to create jobs, or get the debt under control.
    So you can go to your safe place with your blanky and pretend only the big bad Obama created all these problems, or be honest, look at the evidence and see how your right wing Buddy's are playing the political game, over the good of the country!!!!
  • gloria Avenged7 2011/08/10 16:03:06
    gloria
    HYPOCRACY? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT IT MEANS? ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE CHRIS CHRISTY WAS TALKING ABOUT "THOSE CRAZIES"
    GLORIA
  • Avenged7 gloria 2011/08/16 22:16:38
    Avenged7
    Christy can tell you all about hypocrisy. Isn't he the guy who demonizes teacher,and considers state government employees as evil parasites? Then uses state helicopter for family use. What did the helicopter cost tax payers something lie 12,000 dollars an hour??? So maybe you could turn that crazy phrase on your own kind!!!
  • smarter... gloria 2011/07/21 13:20:43
    smarter than you think
    I agree with you Gloria
  • BobWood 2011/07/19 18:07:47
    BobWood
    +2
    He has the right to a party and we have the right to vote him out of office.
  • Mathmn BobWood 2011/07/19 19:55:50
    Mathmn
    For your sake, i hope you can manufacture 8 and one half million votes, because that's the difference he achieved in 2008.
  • Pee,wee BobWood 2011/07/19 22:24:23
    Pee,wee
    amen, it's your dime pal
  • Ricardo Jay 2011/07/19 18:02:44
    Ricardo Jay
    A Black President can't celebrate their Birthday.
    Only in America.
    If it were McKlan, they'd be clammering for a spot in that good-ole hoot-nanny!
  • Rita Ricardo... 2011/07/20 03:45:38
    Rita
    I said yes also, but don't put this in a racist light- Americans all recognize that Obama was elected by the whites in America, as there weren't enough people of color at all to get him elected. We weren't racist then, and aren't racist now. He has just done a really horrible job of screwing up the country. His dozens of "czars" know nothing about how to pull up the economy.
    ANYONE WHO VOTED FOR OBAMA IN 2008 JUST TO PROVE THEY WEREN'T A RACIST HAD BETTER VOTE FOR "ANYONE ELSE" IN 2012, JUST TO PROVE THEY AREN'T AN IDIOT!
  • smarter... Ricardo... 2011/07/21 13:22:00
    smarter than you think
    You are so right. These Americans are showing their true colors and it's not Red, White and Blue.
  • Donn Wright 2011/07/19 17:40:50
    Donn Wright
    This is just another classic example of why we have the best Government money can buy.

Is there any doubt who owns our wanna be dictator? The only thing Obama is concerned with now is getting elected again.

Wake up America and get the only honest man in Washington elected, Ron Paul.
    He is the only candidate who can't be bought. Check his record if you are sick of seeing crap this this going on!
  • gloria Donn Wr... 2011/07/19 18:20:58
    gloria
    He could be bought if, the price was right.
    Gloria
  • Donn Wr... gloria 2011/07/19 19:55:20
    Donn Wright
    Not likely. He has spent 24 years in the House and has never taken even 1 junket paid for by the taxpayers. He delivered over 4,000 babies without taking a single dime from Medicare or Medicaid, (taxpayer money) If that's all the patient had, he simply treated them for FREE. He never refused a patient for lack of money.

He has voted no every time Congress wanted to spend money that was not authorized by the Constitution, even though he was often the ONLY ONE out of the 535 members of Congress that voted no.

Does that sound like a man that could be bought to you? He is the closest thing we have had to a Thomas Jefferson in over 200 years.
  • Mathmn Donn Wr... 2011/07/19 20:00:31
    Mathmn
    Where have you been the past 100 years? This is how you get elected in America.....spend more than your opponent and hopefully convince voters to support you. Obama did that in 2008 and I guess it worked OK, because 66 million voters who supported him.
  • Killa Kay 2011/07/19 16:47:24
    Killa Kay
    It's his party I don't have a say so either way!
  • Jackie 2011/07/19 16:44:21
    Jackie
    He has yet to go the appropriate route, why would he start now?
  • Mathmn Jackie 2011/07/19 20:01:35
    Mathmn
    Tell that to the thousands of auto workers, fire fighters and teachers whose jobs were saved due to the stimulus.
  • sunniday Mathmn 2011/07/20 03:31:34
    sunniday
    thousands of auto workers, fire fighters, teacher,& bankers are cars cheaper?interest rates lower?gas cheaper? teachers make more money? less people unenployed ? but the governments in a lot more pockets how must was your stimulus? how much more money have you saved? due to that $200 stimus?
  • Rita Mathmn 2011/07/20 03:52:49
    Rita
    Do you know the backstory on the stimulus money?(now mostly gone) They couldn't figure out what was a job saved and what was a job created, so way back in 2009, Biden and the boys running the Stimulus handouts to unions and others who gave so generously to Obama's 2008 campaign decided that the math was just too darn hard...They came up with a great new plan: Any $1.00 spent with stimulus money was determined to be a JOB, saved or created, even if there was no possibility of that person losing their job...or didn't you read about that big scandal?
    Redistribution....control....... of Government. Sounds like the party started in 2009!
  • Mathmn Rita 2011/07/30 20:17:07 (edited)
    Mathmn
    According to the CBO, millions of jobs were saved by the stimulus. Companies are sitting on trillions of dollars in cash. Let the Corporations create their own demand by putting people to work. Why don;t they create some jobs? Don't give me that "confidence garbage. Where is their patriotism? If they do create jobs, they'll create them overseas, because their bottom line is more important than people. If it weren't for government jobs, this economy would really be in the tank.
  • Jackie Mathmn 2011/07/24 07:05:25
    Jackie
    Now there is a fantasy. LOL
  • Oliver Uitz 2011/07/19 16:37:14
    Oliver Uitz
    What's the big deal? He's raising funds, and our government needs funds. It's not like he's keeping the money for himself, geez..
  • MS PRUD Oliver ... 2011/07/19 20:07:30
    MS PRUD
    You are joking - right. If not you have a problem understanding the political field for Obama.
  • Beccy 2011/07/19 16:31:15
    That amount of money would go a long way towards feeding the hungry
  • gloria Beccy 2011/07/19 18:22:29
    gloria
    Spoken like a true republican
    Gloria
  • Mathmn Beccy 2011/07/19 20:02:07
    Mathmn
    +1
    Agreed, but politics is politics.
  • Cathy 2011/07/19 16:24:01
    Cathy
    The PRESIDENT have the right to "CELEBRATE HIS BIRTHDAY" the way he wants to.....WE ALL DO!
  • Kevin 2011/07/19 16:07:33
    Kevin
    He's been having a party ever since he stepped into the White House. I'd like to have the job of booking the White House entertainment,
  • Mathmn Kevin 2011/07/19 20:02:51
    Mathmn
    Take a look at his hair and compare it to 2008, then tell us he's been having a party.

2014/07/30 11:09:49