Apple stock: buy or sell?

L.A. Times 2013/01/23 17:02:59
Apple investors will soon find out whether their fears are founded, as the tech juggernaut is set to report its fiscal first-quarter earnings Wednesday afternoon.

Apple's stock has fallen nearly 30% since September, in a sell-off fueled by reports of waning iPhone 5 sales and questions over whether Tim Cook can lead the company through the post-Steve Jobs era. Investors also worry that Apple could be losing market share to rivals, or that profits could suffer if it makes cheaper phones and tablets. Apple won't report its earnings until after the closing bell on Wall Street.

apple stock

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-app...

• rusty.barnett.16 2013/01/25 05:44:44
    Sell
    rusty.barnett.16
    It's a bad day to ask this question with the stock falling $45.00 today.Anyone that owned this stock at $720.00 is a little more that sick today. But's it really a little late to sell. What a day Apple down $45 and Netflix up $35.00-40.00. Why would anyone but either when you could buy T for 33.00 and get a 5.3% dividend. And there are at least 15 utility and drug stock's that pay you to own there stock. I live on my dividends. Check comes ever two weeks just like clock works>
  • nate 2013/01/24 18:37:03
    Buy
    nate
    I have faith in Apple. Micro$oft experienced the same slump back around 1999-2000. When stocks are down it's an opportunity to buy. The trouble is guessing when the stock will rise.
  • RJeffreySavlov 2013/01/24 17:05:13
    Sell
    RJeffreySavlov
    It's only a matter of time before it crashes just like the housing bubble.
  • mingo 2013/01/24 16:48:56
    Buy
    mingo
    I say definitely buy.
  • Not A Crybaby Richard <3Fre... 2013/01/24 16:43:05
    Sell
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    They're gonna drop very soon!
  • Carlo 2013/01/24 14:40:36
    Buy
    Carlo
    From what they say that is, unless the economy tanks, then you may be out for some very expensive stock.
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2013/01/24 14:16:26
    Sell
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    Al Gore just exersized his option and bought 60,000 shares at $7 a share....worth $29 million costing $400k +/-. That pretty much telegraphs where Apple is headed. He wants to dump the stock while it is high, not waiting for it to drop to what he paid - but he had to have the stock first. He couldn't just walk away from all that free money. Being on the board, he has inside info. Sell now.
  • Resp 2013/01/24 10:58:28
    Sell
    Resp
    I prefer Banana stocks.
  • Dustin 2013/01/24 10:43:39
    Sell
    Dustin
    Alot of loyalty came from ceo last couple releases have reflected new management. Quality has gone down while prices are still 2-3 times higher than competitors. Also I would not invest due to you dont buy high while prices have dropped significantly. It is still way higher than than what would be good for a buy low sell high scenario.

Lastly alot of its releases rely on no competition and customer faith why else would people pay 2-3 times for the same spec machines as competition. This companys stock values have outgrown true values. Alot of its value just comes from belief in the company. While this company has potential to recover from the recent drop in value. Alot of things have to remain perfect in order to stay the same or go up. While only one thing could spiral these stocks straight down.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2013/01/24 07:29:00
    Sell
    Just Jenn for Now
    Face it, Apple doesn't have much longer to go unless they hire someone from Google... or Google flat out buys out Apple, which in the future, could easily be possible with the rate they're constantly progressing...
  • The And... Just Je... 2013/01/24 14:21:06
    The Andoxico
    hope google doesn't mess it up like they did to youtube
  • Donnie 2013/01/24 05:36:26
    Sell
    Donnie
    +1
    their stocks will fall because they are getting too much open source competition while apple itself is very insular and controlling, their devices are overpriced for what they do (the primary source of value of a computational device). they have a tendency to start stupid wars with their partners just like what they did with adobe about flash. and what motivated people to by apple stocks was the increase of apple's market share witch was due to the high price of their devices even thought in those markets apples competitors had an increase in the number of products they were selling instead.
  • redhorse29 2013/01/24 03:25:51
    Sell
    redhorse29
    It will turn around as soon as all fear factor releases and sane minds start buying again.
    This is the time where the rich ease in and build up their holdings at lesser prices.
  • I Love this country 2013/01/24 02:56:34
    Buy
    I Love this country
    +1
    Biggest company in the world.
  • The And... I Love ... 2013/01/24 14:22:08
    The Andoxico
    yes, buy. i'll sell my stocks to you lol
  • I Love ... The And... 2013/01/24 20:50:10
    I Love this country
    Why not?
  • Lisa 2013/01/24 01:56:53
    Buy
    Lisa
    +1
    The best management team along with stockpiles of cash make this the best buy.
  • SonofSp... Lisa 2013/01/24 04:37:48
    SonofSpermcube
    That depends on whether the value of the stock reflects its future earning potential, or whether there is a continuous supply of bigger suckers to sell your overvalued stock to.
  • Lisa SonofSp... 2013/01/26 01:22:05
    Lisa
    By that thinking , Google and Priceline should be worth $1.00! what products do they offer innovatively ?
  • SonofSp... Lisa 2013/01/26 02:15:53 (edited)
    SonofSpermcube
    Uh, no, it doesn't mean that.

Have you ever heard of price-to-earnings ratio?

By that standard, Apple is overvalued by about 50 percent (which would still leave the value of the stock quite high). However, since the smartphone market is starting to become saturated (almost everyone who would buy an iPhone has one already), and Apple's business model doesn't look like it will be able to sustain its current level of profits, that ratio is probably set to drop if the price doesn't come down, or Apple doesn't get in on the ground floor of another trend.

http://ycharts.com/companies/...

But, even if the price doesn't reflect the actual earnings-potential-based value of the company, you can still make money on a stock if you find a idiot willing to pay more than it is worth. That is where the extra 50% of Apple's value came from.
  • Adam 2013/01/24 01:29:44
    Sell
    Adam
    Short term who knows, but Apple is heading for a cliff. It's unlikely to be a fatal fall, but it will be a bad one. Apple has genius marketing and a strong brand recognition, but that's the sort of thing that gets eroded away. Apples insular, closed environment for things like apps may help it in the short run, but in the long run, it just can't race against the open source, free, user driven power of other platforms. Apples R+D is fighting against the collective creativity of every gararge developer, plucky startup, and forward thinking visionary who is utilizing things like Android to do the next big thing because Apple won't let anyone into their closed garden. That's a fight that they will eventually lose.

Apples sole advantage is that it had an advantage. it didn't matter if another platform was better, people developed on Apples mobile devices first because it already had great stuff that people were already looking to get. That advantage will disappear, and when it does, Apple is going to fall hard. I'm sure they will scrape together a recovery, and try to actually innovate for a change, but Apple is going to have done to it by Google what Apple did to Microsoft.
  • Michael Adam 2013/01/24 16:16:38 (edited)
  • tom C 2013/01/24 01:21:32
    Sell
    tom  C
    +1
    it may go up some...but the big run is over...
    Samsung Galaxy3 is taking a big bite out of phone sales...
    Apple Tv just isnt making a splash..
    Ipads sales are slowing...
    the vision of Steve Jobs is gone.....so goes apple into mediocrity...
  • Darr247 2013/01/24 01:04:30
    Sell
    Darr247
    The secret to making money on stocks is, when everyone else is selling, buy; then when everyone else is buying, sell.
  • U Mad Bro? 2013/01/23 23:39:32
  • Jim 2013/01/23 23:16:25 (edited)
    Sell
    Jim
    Apple seems to be drifting without Steve Jobs. They've got to come up with something really new or, a radical rethink of something very old.

Apple should come up with a TV that has artificial intelligence. A TV that can respond to voice commands and be integrated into the internet and VOIP phone service. The remote would have a laser pointer that can slide windows, just like on the iPod. If somebody calls you, you can tell the TV to be quiet, tell it to pick up, and then talk through the TV while the volume is down or muted.

I wouldn't buy such a TV but, I'm just trying to think of something that would put Apple back on top. If Apple is smart, they'd do all the R&D; in America and do as much manufacture and assembly here as possible. Heck, they could incorporate technology that causes the innards to self-destruct if the cabinet is not opened by a licensed Apple dealer. That would keep Chinese spies at bay for a while and restore Apple stock prices.
  • me 2013/01/23 22:45:29 (edited)
    Buy
    me
    +1
    APPLE could pay down the debt of the U.S. and thensome. When a company has that much in cold hard cash they are always a good buy!

PS: Bought my newborn nephew 100 shares 10 years ago, will pay for college!
  • wilsonmja 2013/01/23 22:35:40 (edited)
    Buy
    wilsonmja
    +1
    Buy it while you can get it at a lower cost. In fact wait until it really dips down and buy a lot. Don't be a fool. Apple went from top of the line to irrelevant for 10 years in the 90's. I bet all the people that sold large quantities of their shares regretted it around 2009
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2013/01/23 22:26:48 (edited)
    Sell
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    Apple is going to go downhill soon, you'd be better to rid yourself of it, buy some Google stock. Apple's definitely reached a peak, the iPhone 5 hasn't had nearly as many sales as the iPhone 4S... They're going the way of Nokia by refusing to evolve...
  • Primaltare 2013/01/23 22:03:17 (edited)
    Sell
    Primaltare
    While I love Apple, their worth is falling quickly. Their reign is unfortunately coming to an end, and anyone who buys it now is really in for severe losses...
  • Oli 2013/01/23 21:38:51 (edited)
  • Anonymo... Oli 2013/01/23 22:30:39
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    Same, my galaxy Apollo and nexus 7 costs less than an older version... Though they're about a quarter of the price in the US...
  • Eccles 2013/01/23 21:24:54
    Sell
    Eccles
    The magic has gone the new boys are moving in.
  • Pay me 4profile 2013/01/23 21:20:45
    Buy
    Pay me 4profile
    +1
    apple drag is the abilty to call upon the circle of consumers, they continuously are punish on wall street because thier techonolgy keep thier current customer. they dont really bring in nee customers, tho thier current customer keep them at float to meet the marketing projection.

the fact is apple volitilty is healthy rather then a china style of slow growth.

when apple allow thier products to have more compautibilty with other products, they will expand thier manufactoring presents to new customer, increasing thier earning report.
  • fortycal_sig 2013/01/23 21:10:52
    Buy
    fortycal_sig
    +1
    At this juncture, AAPL certainly looks sold-off. But even at the $500 level, I think it's more speculation than investment. Maybe buy a couple calls with yer play-dough.
  • BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRm... 2013/01/23 20:53:52
    Sell
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    What Sky Raven said.
  • macbeth 2013/01/23 20:34:20
    Sell
    macbeth
    I have a family member who works for Apple. She is married to another Apple employee. They are Apple people: its a bit like dealing with a religious cult.
    Scary.
  • Chris 2013/01/23 20:03:19
    Sell
    Chris
    +1
    I don't see anything innovative coming from them any time soon... they're more about just refining their current product line. Which is fine... but it doesn't seem as exciting without Steve Jobs, he was really good at promoting Apple products.
    steve jobs iPhone
  • Anonymo... Chris 2013/01/23 22:33:53
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    I agree, though I have to call you up on refining - their 4S is better than the 5, not counting the extra RAM and processing power, which are standard in most android products anyway...
  • Michael Anonymo... 2013/01/24 16:42:03

2014/10/23 19:12:40