Anyone else sick of the gun violence in America?

Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/12/03 19:45:47
YES
YES
YES
OTHER

In 2003, there were 30,136 firearm-related deaths in the United States; 16,907 (56%) suicides, 11,920 (40%) homicides (including 347 deaths due to legal intervention/war), and 962 (3%) undetermined/unintentional firearm deaths

CDC/National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports 1999-2003 http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars

The rate of death from firearms in the United States is eight times higher than that in its economic counterparts in other parts of the world.

Kellermann AL and Waeckerle JF. Preventing Firearm Injuries. Ann Emerg Med July 1998; 32:77-79.

The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children younger than 15 years of age is nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 1997;46:101-105.

The United States has the highest rate of youth homicides and suicides among the 26 wealthiest nations.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related death among children: 26 industrialized countries.
MMWR. 1997;46:101-105.
Krug EG, Dahlberg LL, Powell KE. Childhood homicide, suicide, and firearm deaths: an international comparison. World Health Stat Q. 1996;49:230-235

***WING NUTS BEFORE COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMEONE TAKING YOUR GUNS, WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN STATED (IN MY BLOG) MAKES YOU COME OFF SLIGHTLY "TOUCHED" SO IF YOU CAN STICK WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND.. THE VIOLENCE. ****

Read More: http://journals.lww.com/jtrauma/Abstract/2011/0100...

• nerak611 2012/12/28 20:33:17
    YES
    nerak611
  • RipVanWinkle 2012/12/19 03:56:28 (edited)
    YES
    RipVanWinkle
    A sadly prophetic insight. I remember browsing this poll when you first posted it, and I didn't answer because technically, it doesn't directly affect me in Canada. But I've choked down enough tears in the last few days that I see now it does affect me. I'm pretty neutral on gun ownership, having been on both sides of that coin, but practical, and effective gun control is an important part of any modern society. I don't buy the usual anti gun-control cliches any more. I may have, one time during adolescense, but I've since learned that those arguments are either motivated by an unhealthy and artificial fear, or a whitewash for a pubescent lust for violence bred by a culture that cares little about its fellow members.

It's very interesting that when I cross the border to visit the US, I have to take into consideration a couple of things that are unnatural to me: The dramatically increased risk of being a gun violence victim, and if I can afford to pay a healthcare bill should I be unfortunate enough to require it during my visit.
  • Scaldari Anitoba 2012/12/09 19:14:11
    OTHER
    Scaldari Anitoba
    I am sick of the fact that all the idiots in america, its the iditos thaat happen to have guns that get all the attention. Banning weapons does not work, people will just resort to something else.

cargun
  • gizzibag 2012/12/06 20:59:39
    YES
    gizzibag
    but always remember the cliche guns dont kill people people kill people. and its not only in america its world wide
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/12/06 01:33:49
    OTHER
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    No I am ready for a Revolution.
  • FeelHoo... Lerro D... 2012/12/19 03:01:58
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    No. You're not.
  • Lerro D... FeelHoo... 2012/12/19 03:07:08
    Lerro DeHazel
    Okay, it sounds like you are DEFINITELY on-the-opposing-side; get your guys together and let's do it. . . . I'm ready.
  • FeelHoo... FeelHoo... 2012/12/19 04:04:57
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    +1
    If you have to block on SH, you're not ready.

The Army, Navy, Air Force & Marines are ready for you.
  • Patric 2012/12/05 11:48:24
    OTHER
    Patric
    +1
    I am sick and tired of the gansta 's shooting up the city..

I am sick of hearing I , a 62 yr. old gun owner , am the problem .

I am sick of those that want to punish , restrict legal citizens , and turn a blind eye on gangsta's

I have several guns, and not one has moved unless I picked it up.

how about this ?

I am sick of the drunk drivers killing tens of thousands on our high ways .

so , to fight this , I think we should restrict the car ownership of sober drivers...
  • Wilde~M... Patric 2012/12/05 15:41:47
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +3
    This isn't a "what am I sick of" blog! Make one if its so important to you... I did
  • Patric Wilde~M... 2012/12/05 16:05:09
    Patric
    hmmm, looks like my post was not what you wanted to see ..

did not realize blog was restricted to reply that you would agree with..

my mistake...
  • Wilde~M... Patric 2012/12/05 15:46:21
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +3
    You know what? Never mind... I no longer care!!! Have fun
  • FeelHoo... Wilde~M... 2012/12/19 03:03:27
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    +1
    6-year-olds with 11 rounds in his body? Pat's fine with that.

"Gangstas"...? Well, THAT'S obviously the "Problem".
  • sean 2012/12/05 06:29:47
    OTHER
    sean
    +2
    One person dies in the US every 13 minutes in a Car Accident- 115 killed each day. 1.2 Million killed World Wide each year..i'm keeping my guns..the rest of you need your Cars taken away.
  • ttfndude 2012/12/05 04:35:56
    YES
    ttfndude
    +1
    be a man and fight with your fists....at least everyone will go home and more than likely friendship or at least respect will ensue
  • sean ttfndude 2012/12/05 06:32:34
    sean
    +1
    if thats what the department of homeland security has planned..then why did they purchase almost 2 billion rounds of ..AMMO ?
  • ttfndude sean 2012/12/06 12:37:26 (edited)
    ttfndude
    because we were talking about homeland security? not sure what you are thinking but I read the blurb up top about children killing children basically........homeland security ppppffhhhttt!
  • sean ttfndude 2012/12/06 14:44:44
    sean
    +1
    why would someone with a trademark TM..who claims to be a wild child..write this..its a push to disarm you..while at the same time the government has bought 2 billion rounds of ammo..this is not about children killing children..this is about the government's plan..too kill you and house you in fema camps.
  • nerak611 sean 2012/12/28 20:27:46
    nerak611
    Paranoid much?
  • Maleficent 2012/12/05 01:09:50
    YES
    Maleficent
    +1
    i think we all are.
  • sharkhead 2012/12/05 01:00:26
    OTHER
    sharkhead
    +1
    I don't like people killing each other with guns, but guns are not the problem, people can use anything besides a gun to kill people and most gunowners use them for self-defense.
  • Carl 2012/12/04 22:48:09
    OTHER
    Carl
    If someone wants to kill someone, they will find a way; it could be a gun, poison, running them over with a car, a knife, etc. It's the lack of responsibility and respect. And while we are at it, let's ban cars to stop drunk diving deaths!!!
  • cinbadl 2012/12/04 20:17:13
  • VoteOut 2012/12/04 20:05:57
    OTHER
    VoteOut
    +2
    what kind of violence do you prefer , Do you know what the number one killer in the USA is? Are you in practice of activism against it?
  • DuncanONeil 2012/12/04 17:56:29
    OTHER
    DuncanONeil
    "(R)ate of death from firearms in the United States is eight times higher than that in its economic counterparts in other parts of the world."
    Since the firearm deaths rate in 2003 is around 2.26 and it is, supposedly 8 times that of any other "economic counterparts in ... the world." That would mean the next highest would be .28. Well, Germany is .4672 (28% of our pop.), Portugal .8488, (4% of our pop) Australia (with no guns) .3073 (7% of our pop. WITH NO GUNS!)

So I basically doubt your data claims.

The citation you cite only covers 16 states and does not go back to 2003. More reason to wonder about your data.
    2005, 16 NVDRS States: AK, CO, GA, KY, MD, MA, NJ, NM, NC, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VA, WI
    All Victims Death Counts and Rates per 100,000, Abstracter Assigned Mode
    All Intents, Mechanism: Firearm
    All Races, Both Sexes, All Ages

Number of Deaths Population Crude Rate Age-Adjusted Rate**
    7,827 ..............77,930,160 10.04 ..............9.92
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/12/04 17:13:23
    YES
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    I I have to comment on my thread, because MANY wing nuts either have a comprehension problem or are way too emotional for this subject!
    Guns were made to kill, so yes they do kill people.
    I didn't say anything about taking away firearms, and the irrational responses to this thread makes me question if you should even have a plastic fork!
    Comparing gun violence (and yes its gun violence) to obesity actually makes no sense. Whatever NRA chain email you received, send it back and tell them to send you something that doesn't make you look imbecilic. Obesity, generally, is something one does to themselves. Guns are always for someone (something) else.
    The "do you want to take away the spoon" narrative, = asinine!
    I believe people have the right to defend themselves and their family. I support the "castle rule," but there should be tougher regulations to purchase firearms.
    If you're a responsible person, this shouldn't effect you.
    The attacks about me concerning this blog, did teach me something. Conservatives are emotional after all. Who knew? Albeit, about firearms, but emotional all the same...
  • Midnigh... Wilde~M... 2012/12/04 19:29:35
    MidnightCowboy
    +3
    Eloquently stated. I praise you for your courage to have submitted this Blog.

post of the day
  • Wilde~M... Midnigh... 2012/12/04 20:55:44
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    Aww Thanks!!
    It should be talked about and letting the fanatics control the conversation has failed America immensely!
    Pro-firearm extremist forgot others have rights too! We need better regulation!
  • Midnigh... Wilde~M... 2012/12/04 20:58:22
    MidnightCowboy
    +3
    Precisely! For instance, going to a movie theater without the fear of some gun nut firing random shots at the audience.
  • Wilde~M... Midnigh... 2012/12/04 21:47:11
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    Exactly, but some of these people don't understand that...
  • cinbadl Wilde~M... 2012/12/04 20:23:41
  • Wilde~M... cinbadl 2012/12/04 21:42:52
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +1
    LMAO... I'm not anti gun and never said I was, thats your first mistake.
    Yo yo? Sure its a weapon but I hightly doubt anyone can go on a yo you killing spree inside of a mall! Along with all the other BS you listed..
    Gun kill people, they were design to kill..
    You're rambling about things I never said.. YOU are a prime example of someone who shouldn't own a gun!
  • Scaldar... Wilde~M... 2012/12/09 19:32:01
    Scaldari Anitoba
    The problem is, Supporting gun control legislation means you are letting the Government Decide what rights you may have. If the Government can decide if you have the right, then its not a right, its a privilege. The right to bear arms is just that, a right. We are already dealing with them deciding WHEN we have a right to privacy. Whats next is deciding who has freedom of speech? I am opposed to letting the Government decide who has rights, who does not and what those specific rights may be. That is what the Bill of Rights is for, because in their wisdom, the founders KNEW every government grabs for power. Every Power needs a check on how far it can go. The only check on how far they can go is "we, the people".

Many "Wing Nuts" as you label them are very sensitive to the issue of Government taking away basic American rights in the name of so called "Public Good". We are cautioned by our predecessors NOT to give up liberty for security. What is what gun control falls under, Sacrificing Liberty for a perceived security.
  • nerak611 Scaldar... 2012/12/28 20:29:50
    nerak611
    Hmmm....same reasons many are against abortion - government interference.
  • Scaldar... nerak611 2012/12/28 22:27:12
    Scaldari Anitoba
    lost me their. Neither for nor against abortion. As for me and my house we choose not to exercise the option. Hell if i even suggested it it would end in divorce!
  • Walter Harris 2012/12/04 17:09:09 (edited)
    OTHER
    Walter Harris
    +1
    let people have guns at all times on them and people will be less likely to rob. the crooks have guns, why can't i.
    guns do not kill, people do.
    I challange anyone to put a gun on the table and command it to shoot someone. if it does something is tarribly wrong with that situation. a gun is nothing more than a tool. like a tool, it can sit their for ever and never fire a shot. if one picks it up thin it can do harm. therefore people will find a way to kill if that is there intent
  • Wilde~M... Walter ... 2012/12/04 17:38:58
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +3
    This blog is not about taking anyone's guns...
    Yes, guns kill people they're designed to kill.
  • cinbadl Wilde~M... 2012/12/04 20:31:05
  • Wilde~M... cinbadl 2012/12/04 21:43:30
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    LMAO... you look foolish
  • Patric cinbadl 2012/12/05 11:57:33
    Patric
    +1
    get drunk drivers off the road ,

how ?

restrict the car ownership of sober drivers...

cars kill people...

restrict the ownership of cars.

2014/04/18 03:34:52