Anti-Semitism once again raises its ugly head in Europe, this time in the not-so-subtle form of an attempt to ban circumcision!

Ken 2012/08/07 15:56:59
Commentary Daily

Swiss Circumcision Decision an Ominous Portent for Euro Jews

Last week, Germany’s parliament acted expeditiously to squelch the attempt of a Cologne judge to ban circumcision.
A cross-party motion promoted by Chancellor Angela Merkel passed by the
lower house urged the government to present a bill in the fall that
would specifically protect the right of circumcision. This both
reassured the Jewish and Muslim communities as well as prevented Germany
from being seen as, in Merkel’s words, a “laughingstock” for seeking to
render illegal a key Jewish religious ritual only a generation after
the Holocaust.

But Germany’s efforts may not be enough to halt the momentum of those seeking to infringe upon religious liberty. As Haaretz reports,
two Swiss hospitals have just announced they will stop performing
circumcisions. This illustrates that the movement to ban circumcision,
fueled as it is by the rising tide of European anti-Semitism, is still
gaining ground.

Even if Merkel follows up on her pledge to ensure that circumcision
is protected in Germany, the problem is that the Cologne ruling granted a
veneer of respectability to its opponents. Whereas in the past those
railing against Jewish practices were largely marginal, the court
victory legitimized their campaign to drive one of the key principles of
Judaism — the Abrahamic covenant that circumcision symbolizes
—underground.
As with other expressions of Jew-hatred in the current
atmosphere in which Israel and its supporters are demonized, it is now
possible to be more open with contempt for Judaism and to advocate
measures that might have been unthinkable not that long ago.

Moreover, the court placed a doubt in the minds of doctors and others
in the medical profession that they would be exposed to penalties for
performing the procedure. After the Cologne ruling, the German Medical
Association advised doctors to stop their participation in circumcision.

It bears remembering that, as COMMENTARY contributor Ruth Wisse once
wrote, anti-Semitism is the most successful ideology of the 20th
century. It helped inform Fascism, Nazism and Communism and today is a
useful tool for Islamists and their European leftist allies
. The
campaign against circumcision, like the even more successful European
efforts to ban kosher slaughter, is driven in no small measure by a
desire to drive Jews out of the continent. That it is harming Muslims as
much as Jews is an irony that ought not to prevent joint efforts by the
two communities to combat this noxious proposal.

But taken in the context of a noticeable increase in violence against
Jews in the aftermath of the shootings in Toulouse this past spring,
the circumcision bans are an indication that the future of European
Jewry is by no means assured.

Swiss chocolate, anyone???

• CatyaSho 2012/08/12 17:27:34
    CatyaSho
    The debate in Germany started because of the circumcision of a muslim and not a jewish boy btw.
    He had to be hospitalized because the doctor apparently had made a mistake which raised the debate whether or not circumcision is against the human rights or the right of freedom of religion.
    (Freedom of religion in Germany is guaranteed by article 4 of the Basic Law (constitution). This states that "the freedom of religion, conscience and the freedom of confessing one's religious or philosophical beliefs are inviolable. Uninfringed religious practice is guaranteed.")

I believe children shouldn't be forced to join any religion, just because their parents practise it, but I see it's hard since usually children are raised in their parents' faith.
    My opinion on this debate: As long as the circumcision is carefully done, there is usually little risk of side effects, so I don't see anything against it. Sure you can argue that it's mutilation to cut of a boys foreskin, but as long as he's not endangered or hurt by it, I think the health benefits speak for it.
    About his right to choose his own religion: I don't see why he can't later decide to leave Judaism or Islam being circumcised.

And as far as I know, the court's decision has been rejected, in Germany anyway.
    read: http://news.natio...

read: http://news.nationalpost.com/...
  • Ken CatyaSho 2012/08/12 21:40:30 (edited)
    That's the point the article makes - Germany is taking care of the problem with legislation to overrule any court ruling, while it appears that Switzerland may be going ahead with it. You are right, inasmuch as both Muslims and Jews follow the Abrahamic custom of circumcision, it will affect people of both faiths. Circumcising a baby by no means ensures that he will remain faithful to the Jewish or Muslim religions, but it does have its advantages in terms of being a more sanitary condition. http://www.webmd.com/cancer/c...
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/08/07 18:11:41
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +1
    Sounds like they're taking Stupidhead lessons from Maobama. This is an attempt at more government control and it's going worldwide.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/08/07 16:51:14
    SK-pro impeachment
    +1
    Looks like Germany is wanting another ass kicking before long. DUMMKOPFS!
  • Ken SK-pro ... 2012/08/07 20:06:17
    +2
    Actually it appears that the German government is going to do something about it, while those wonderful, peaceful, always "neutral" (or is it "neutered?") Swiss are apparently going ahead with it.
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/08/07 16:47:41
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    Anti Semitism is increasing all over the world...... and abetted by the UN policies and
    0bama.

San Francisco had a bill to ban circumstances.... a Jewish religious rite........... and
    yet SF would holler loud and clear to protect Islam. Go figure.
  • Ken No nons... 2012/08/07 17:41:33
    +1
    The dichotomy between the respect for the putative "religion of peace", Islam, and the lack of respect for the true religion of peace, Judaism, is startling. For three thousand years the Jews endured prejudice, pogroms and the ultimate Holocaust and are now fighting to keep their new (just over 60 yrs. old!) homeland secure, while every Arab nation surrounding them refuses to even acknowledge their right to exist, and to much of Europe and the rest of the world, it's the Israelis who are the trouble-makers. They simply want the right to live, to exist, and they are the ones who are the trouble-makers!!!
  • No nons... Ken 2012/08/07 19:19:57
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    Do you think it is because no matter what they are handed, the Jewish people are able to rise again. It sorta reminds me of the envy in class warfare of those who do not prosper wanting those who do to "do their fair share". No one says what their fair share is; they
    just say it is unfair because under the entitlement mentality they don't have all those
    luxuries that those who work hard do. If you look at the poor in this country, they
    have cars, TVs, I-phones and I-pads, (I don't have either) ample food, alcohol and
    smokes if the use them.......... The poverty level in other countries is horrendous with
    many lacking food shelter and even water...... and a phone? no way! Or TV? no
    there is no electricity in a refugee camp and other living accommodations.............

I just don't get it. I was born into a poor family, but I worked for an education and
    everything else I got. That ability to move up the ladder in this country is the American
    way, and if that dream is destroyed, then America is just like all the other countries
    in Europe and elsewhere.
  • Ken No nons... 2012/08/07 20:08:22
    +1
    It is true that throughout history, no matter the discrimination, the Jews have managed to prosper until their "hosts" decide to get tougher and tougher on them, and then they finally have migrated again. That sequence has happened again and again over the centuries, and they have always survived.
  • No nons... Ken 2012/08/07 23:28:22
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    It cost them 6 million in Germany....... they lost everything, and still they
    prosper. I guess people are just jealous; the took a wasteland dessert and
    made it a prospering oasis! I don't think they should be subjected to that
    same hatred again. WWII should have taught the world something besides
    envy and greed. On the other hand, we are seeing that same envy and
    greed working for 0bama with his class warfare.
  • Ken No nons... 2012/08/07 23:48:12
    +1
    If you look at the number of Nobel Prizes that have been awarded to Jews, a miniscule percentage of the world's population, it is awe-inspiring. A really great history book is "A History of the Jews" by British historian Paul Johnson. Their 4,000 year history has to be read to be believed, and that they've survived as a "people" while every contemporary nation of people from that age, with the possible exception of the Greeks, has lost its national identify over the ages, is amazing. .

Johnson includes an epilogue to the history:
    "One way of summing up 4,000 years of Jewish history is to ask ourselves what would have happened to the human race if Abraham had not been a man of great sagacity, or if he had stayed in Ur and kept his higher notions to himself, and no specific Jewish people had come into being. Certainly the world without the Jews would have been a radically different place. Humanity might eventually have stumbled upon all the Jewish insights. But we cannot be sure. All the great conceptual discoveries of the intellect seem obvious and inescapable once they have been revealed, but it requires a special genius to formulate them for the first time. The Jews had this gift. To them we owe the idea of equality before the law, both divine and human; of the sancti...

"One way of summing up 4,000 years of Jewish history is to ask ourselves what would have happened to the human race if Abraham had not been a man of great sagacity, or if he had stayed in Ur and kept his higher notions to himself, and no specific Jewish people had come into being. Certainly the world without the Jews would have been a radically different place. Humanity might eventually have stumbled upon all the Jewish insights. But we cannot be sure. All the great conceptual discoveries of the intellect seem obvious and inescapable once they have been revealed, but it requires a special genius to formulate them for the first time. The Jews had this gift. To them we owe the idea of equality before the law, both divine and human; of the sanctity of life and the dignity of the human person; of the individual conscience and so of personal redemption; of the collective conscience and so of social responsibility; of peace as an abstract ideal and love as the foundation of justice, and many other items which constitute the basic moral furniture of the human mind. Without the Jews it might have been a much emptier place."

It's an excellent book, available in paperback, and I highly recommend it.
  • Icarus 2012/08/07 16:28:36
    Icarus
    How absurd. Banning the genital mutilation of infants is a human rights issue, nothing more.
  • Ken Icarus 2012/08/07 17:44:52
    There's no "mutilation" involved in circumcision - there are hundreds of millions of adult males, Jews, Muslims, and neither of the above, who are living proof.
    There is also the fact that it may help prevent cervical cancer in women!
    " Circumcising men can reduce cervical cancer risk in women, a new study shows."
    http://www.webmd.com/cancer/c...
  • Icarus Ken 2012/08/07 20:40:05
    Icarus
    Chopping parts off a perfectly healthy baby is mutilation. It should be illegal.
  • Ken Icarus 2012/08/07 22:20:12
    As usual you are full of crap and blithely willing to ignore the facts. They say that ignorance is bliss but in your case I'm not so sure. Can we take it that you are against preventing cervical cancer in women?
  • Icarus Ken 2012/08/07 22:40:57
    Icarus
    There's no evidence of any medical benefit that would justify the sexual mutilation of perfectly healthy infants. RIC is barbaric and should be illegal. Let men decide as adults whether they want to lose a valuable body part - we have no right to be making that decision for them as babies.
  • Ken Icarus 2012/08/07 23:51:05
    I just gave you the citation above to a study that indicates that there is evidence that "circumcising men can reduce cervical cancer risk in women," so again I ask in a different way, "Can we assume you are in favor of women developing cervical cancer?"
  • Icarus Ken 2012/08/08 06:48:25
    Icarus
    I gave you my answer. Read it again.
  • Ken Icarus 2012/08/08 17:18:59
    Your "answer" was no answer at all, just a bald denial of the facts.
  • moomoof 2012/08/07 16:00:43
    moomoof
    In germany you say...im shoc'--- no im not run!!!
  • Ken moomoof 2012/08/07 16:09:10
    +1
    Actually the Germans are trying to stamp it out, the Swiss are not. But it is going on all over Europe, fueled largely by a desire to placate their growing Muslim populations. The hooker here is that Muslims also follow the covenant of Abraham on the rites of circumcision.
  • moomoof Ken 2012/08/07 20:21:32
    moomoof
    +1
    Wait that seems stupid on the governments part....
  • Ken moomoof 2012/08/07 20:33:50 (edited)
    +1
    It does, and I don't think it will stand if the Muslims are affected by it. This is from the article:
    "That it is harming Muslims as much as Jews is an irony that ought not to prevent joint efforts by the two communities to combat this noxious proposal."
  • moomoof Ken 2012/08/07 20:34:58
    moomoof
    +1
    Hopefully not hopefully someone somewhere has learned from the past...and nothing incredibely stupid happens

2014/07/26 11:14:09