Anti-Obama Film Beats Other Debuts: Are You Interested in Seeing It?

Film 2012/08/27 18:00:00
This weekend, as movie goers were choosing between Sylvester Stallone, Dax Shepard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, another leading man slipped in and surprisingly made a big splash: President Barack Obama. "2016: Obama's America," a conservative critique of the current administration, placed eighth overall and took in $6.2 million, more money than several other films premiering last Friday.

The documentary beat out newcomers "Hit & Run," which made only $4.7 million, and "The Apparition," which earned only $3 million. Some credit the success of the movie to weak offerings of summer flicks but others attribute it to the distaste the country has for the current president. The film is a right-leaning hypothetical look at what the country may be like in four years if Obama stays in office.

But if Republicans are hoping this is a measurement of their party’s potential electoral success, they should be aware that “Fahrenheit 9/11,” an attack on Bush politics, opened at $23.9 million in 2004. The wide release of "2016: Obama's America" was timed to align with the Republican National Convention which began Monday in Tampa, Florida, and those involved hope the event will give the film and the campaign a boost. What do you think: Are you interested in seeing "2016: Obama's America"?

• Just Jenn for Now 2012/08/27 20:37:14
    Just Jenn for Now
    +61
    Of course! It should make a GREAT comedy! I could use a good laugh.

Let's kick it up a notch and make it a drinking game, folks!

Every time Obama is compared to communism, take a drink.
    Every time his birth certificate is mentioned, take a sip. (trust me, any drink bigger than a sip will kill you I'm sure if I predict how much THAT will be overused.)
    If they actually try calling him a "Muslim Jihadist" at any time, finish your drink and pour another. If they mention only one of the two, drink for three seconds.
    If the debt ceiling is mentioned, take a sip. (another overused one)
    If someone with a southern accent comes on, take a drink. If said person fits the stereotypical right-wing cookie cutter mold they've crafted themselves, finish your drink.

Finally, for every Liberal, Democrat, Progressive, or overall left-wing criticism, take a sip; or if it's an outright insult, take a good-sized drink.

Cheers!

obama beer

• Joey Bob DiN 2012/09/05 15:39:39
    Joey
    +1
    Sorry your Boy Denish is a known liar , and he does make conclusion left and right .

http://mediamatters.org/blog/...
  • Bob DiN Joey 2012/09/05 17:30:57 (edited)
    Bob DiN
    He probably is considered a liar in the Preogresive Sheepie circles. Anyone who doesn't agree with them is either a lair or a racist no matter how right they may be.However normal people don't feel that way. They poor soul Sheepie need to beprayed for. Thank God for intelligent opened mind people, like our Founding Fathers were..
  • Joey Bob DiN 2012/09/05 17:36:24
    Joey
    +1
    I just pointed to a link debunking some of his claims. It is pretty hard to say I am just not being opening minded when when I have shown you how he lies.
  • Bob DiN Joey 2012/09/05 17:44:39
    Bob DiN
    You must be kidding. There are links that will say anything they payer wants to it so say. Also anyone can open a link and inject the prejudice views. 80% plus of the internet links are garbage. I've been a profesional Analyst for over 45 years, the last 15 freelance. I get paid good money for being accurate. I would waste my time with these junk websites. If I relied on these sites I wouldn't get paid a nickel.
  • Joey Bob DiN 2012/09/05 19:53:08
    Joey
    +1
    For an an Analyst. I love how you can only defend your point by using an ad hominem attack. If they are wrong .. then you would be able to prove that they are wrong... in place of just complaining about it .
  • Bob DiN Joey 2012/09/05 23:20:09
    Bob DiN
    Become a client and I'll give you a full detailed report on anything political or legislative.
  • Joey Bob DiN 2012/09/05 23:37:53
    Joey
    +1
    If your work is anything like this .. I feel bad for the people who pay you. You support someone who uses questionable "facts". When the "facts" that he uses are shown to be false you do not even address this and attack the people who gave you information that you did not like.
  • Bob DiN Joey 2012/09/06 03:49:24
    Bob DiN
    I knew you were too cheap to findout the truth.
  • Joey Bob DiN 2012/09/06 04:12:57
    Joey
    +1
    You are telling me I am too cheap to find the truth .. yet I have pointed out that psychologist should not try to take on someone who they have not interviewed , and I have shown you that he has lied. And you have not even addressed the lies that he has told.
  • Bob DiN Joey 2012/09/06 04:33:19
    Bob DiN
    Baloney, your prejudice is showing.
  • Joey Bob DiN 2012/09/06 05:46:39 (edited)
    Joey
    +1
    I do have prejudice for people who do not tell the truth.

You are pretty much saying nothing I can show you will change your mind. With that being the case it is as if you are saying like this guy. No matter what my own independent research has undercover on him.

Since you are setting the bar so high .. want can I show you to disprove his claims or you just sticking with him no matter what ?

Also funny you bring up racism .. when the guy you support benefited from the caste system.
  • Golanv ... Joey 2012/09/06 10:39:25
    Golanv (Raven)
    +1
    Well done. Thank you. I am through with this poster as well. He reminds me too much of his 'hero' Dinesh. ;)
  • Joey Golanv ... 2012/09/07 00:49:38 (edited)
    Joey
    +1
    They was fun dealing with him. You let him have it as well.
  • Bob DiN Joey 2012/09/06 23:04:04
    Bob DiN
    By bigot.
  • Joey Bob DiN 2012/09/07 00:49:16
    Joey
    +1
    LOL So when I ask you what proof you are looking for you call me a bigot LOL. You just made my day coward .
  • Bob DiN Joey 2012/09/07 05:53:44
    Bob DiN
    BYE Bogot.
  • Golanv ... Bob DiN 2012/09/05 22:20:08
    Golanv (Raven)
    +1
    The conservative Republicans I worked with considered him a liar and knew he was an unapologetic racist. They were probably what you would consider 'normal people'.
  • Bob DiN Golanv ... 2012/09/06 04:40:11
    Bob DiN
    I'm indepedent non partisan, you can never rely on a political party with an agenda. Today if someone refutes that agenda they're a liar or a racist. Political Paries hate the truth or a view point other than thiers.
  • Golanv ... Bob DiN 2012/09/06 10:35:19
    Golanv (Raven)
    +1
    Sorry, but you do not come across as 'non partisan' when you use terms like 'libtards' and state that "they are 'liars' and so is Obama". You seem to have a pretty high opinion of yourself as well. Where do you get off telling someone they are 'too cheap to find out the truth', like you have a monopoly on it? Or to tell the other person their 'prejudice is showing'? Have you ever talked with D'souza? Or are you doing the same thing he did when he made his 'movie' about President Obama without speaking to him? Decent human beings, whatever their political affiliation, are disgusted by racism. Don't kid yourself. You did nothing to convince the other poster and you've done absolutely nothing to convince me either. Here is another take on this, though I seriously doubt you will read it:

Many people have a hard time understanding the concept of “othering.” Perhaps it’s the way an adjective becomes a verb, or perhaps they’ve forgotten their Hegel. Either way, a nice refresher on the term is Forbes magazine’s latest cover story, “How He Thinks,” an utterly racist tirade penned by neocon Evangelical Christian Dinesh D’Souza.

First, the exact definition of “othering”:

Othering is a way of defining and securing one’s own positive identity through the stigmatization of an "other." Whateve...

Othering is a way of defining and securing one’s own positive identity through the stigmatization of an "other." Whatever the markers of social differentiation that shape the meaning of "us" and "them," whether they are racial, geographic, ethnic, economic or ideological, there is always the danger that they will become the basis for a self-affirmation that depends upon the denigration of the other group.

Now, a passage directly from D’Souza’s article:

It may seem incredible to suggest that the anticolonial ideology of Barack Obama Sr. is espoused by his son, the President of the United States. That is what I am saying. From a very young age and through his formative years, Obama learned to see America as a force for global domination and destruction. He came to view America's military as an instrument of neocolonial occupation. He adopted his father's position that capitalism and free markets are code words for economic plunder. Obama grew to perceive the rich as an oppressive class, a kind of neocolonial power within America. In his worldview, profits are a measure of how effectively you have ripped off the rest of society, and America's power in the world is a measure of how selfishly it consumes the globe's resources and how ruthlessly it bullies and dominates the rest of the planet.

For Obama, the solutions are simple. He must work to wring the neocolonialism out of America and the West. And here is where our anticolonial understanding of Obama really takes off, because it provides a vital key to explaining not only his major policy actions but also the little details that no other theory can adequately account for.

Despite this narrative’s palpable bigotry, its fearmongering, its alarmism, its absurdity—outside of infancy, Obama met his father only once. When did he learn to wholly espouse the old man’s “anticolonial ideology”? In the womb?—prospective presidential candidate Newt Gingrich picked it up and ran with it himself in an interview posted to National Review Online this weekend (emphasis mine):

“What if [Obama] is so outside our comprehension, that only if you understand Kenyan, anticolonial behavior, can you begin to piece together [his actions]? That is the most accurate, predictive model for his behavior.”

“I think he worked very hard at being a person who is normal, reasonable, moderate, bipartisan, transparent, accommodating — none of which was true…”

Has anyone of Gingrich’s status ever said, simply, “Barack Obama is not normal”? I don’t think so, and it’s a scary indication of just how far conservatives are willing to go to divide the country for political gain.

Using ridiculous “birther” language like “Kenyan, anticolonial behavior,” Gingrich, D’Souza and their co-conspirators are out to further terrify Americans who already believe, against all proof to the contrary, that our president is an African Muslim who wants to destroy America’s very foundation. By othering Obama, by making him out to be an anti-American monster burdened with the perceived sins of his father, they are doing nothing but stoking the flames of hatred and divisiveness that already permeate your average Tea Party rally.

These liars—yes, they are liars—are smart enough to not outright say, “Barack Obama is a scary black man who hates our Western Civilization.” But there’s a thin line between slurs like that and calling the president an “abnormal, unreasonable” man who exhibits “Kenyan, anticolonial (read: anti-white) behavior.”

Scarier still is that these tactics, these outrageous smear campaigns, are working.

-Cord Jefferson is a staff writer at The Root. Follow him on Twitter.
  • Robin B Joey 2012/09/12 23:29:06
    Robin B
    You are so over the line.
  • Joey Robin B 2012/09/13 01:38:09
    Joey
    I am over the line .. my pointing out how people cheered a for a movie that was full of a lives, and unfounded allegations . These people were just happy to hear anything negative about Obama and they ate it up. This person calls Obama full of rage and he can not back up his statement. This is him getting hammered on some of this lies . And also pointed out how he had good things to say about the people who attacked us on 9/11.

• beavith1 2012/09/03 04:41:58
    beavith1
    +9
    saw it tonight.

VERY interesting.
  • Civic Minded 2012/09/03 03:52:12
    Civic Minded
    +8
    I saw it the first weekend it was in our area. Well done!
  • wpsegura 2012/09/03 03:49:38
    wpsegura
    I meant yes, would like to see it and make my own decision. Since I don't follow either party, I think I can be bias
  • Pancakes wpsegura 2012/09/04 06:27:00
  • wpsegura Pancakes 2012/09/05 18:34:23
    wpsegura
    +1
    Wow, then everything in the film is just the director's opinion. Typical
  • sally 2012/09/03 02:38:16
    sally
    I could use some comedic relief in my life these days.
  • mwg0735 2012/09/03 02:24:14
  • Robin B mwg0735 2012/09/04 05:10:37
    Robin B
    +3
    Moore is always pissed that's why he looks like he is about to explode.
  • mwg0735 Robin B 2012/09/04 06:17:23
  • sketchbone 2012/09/03 02:16:31
    sketchbone
    +7
    I've seen enough of the dude for 4 years. I'm not sitting through a 2 hour movie about him. The movie will not convince me to vote for Romney. The last 4 years has already convinced me.
  • my2cents sketchbone 2012/09/03 03:21:13
  • Robin B sketchbone 2012/09/04 05:13:40
    Robin B
    +2
    I get where you are coming from but the movie connected a lot of dots for me. Sometimes it helps to know what the enemy is up to so you can spot the next one before they have a chance to strike.
  • Pamela ... sketchbone 2012/09/04 23:19:05
  • Lisa 2012/09/03 01:58:36
    Lisa
    +8
    Saw it already, it was great. Proves Obama was raised and mentored by Communists , his mother. , his father who was absent all his life fathered 5 children from different wives ' was a wife beater and drunk , his Grandmother and grandfather who were devout Communists . His mother divorced her second husband Soetero because he wasn't liberal enough and was against the Commie ways!
  • wpsegura Lisa 2012/09/03 02:13:18
    wpsegura
    +1
    Sound like a bunch of BS
  • Berta C... wpsegura 2012/09/03 22:36:29 (edited)
    Berta Collier
    +2
    Barry Soetoro (Barack Obama) when he was a student at the Fransiskus Assisi school in Indonesia.

barry soetoro barack obama student fransiskus assisi school indonesia

His school application stated the following information.

Nama (Name) - Barry Soetoro

Agama (Religion) - Islamic

Bangsa (The nation / nationality) - Indonesia

nama barry soetoro agama religion islamic bangsa nation nationality indonesia

Strangely he still refuses to produce his college application to Occidental, which states that he applied as a FOREIGN STUDENT. Why?
  • Lisa wpsegura 2012/09/05 05:40:42
    Lisa
    +1
    It is factual ..you just refuse to acknowledge it
  • wpsegura Lisa 2012/09/05 18:40:19
    wpsegura
    +1
    Sounds like to me that people will believe anything. The fact is I have not seen the movie, so I cannot say rather is is true or not. I just find it funny that a republican produced the movie, so I find it hard to believe that it is a bias movie.
  • Golanv ... wpsegura 2012/09/05 22:22:53
    Golanv (Raven)
    It is entirely his biased opinion done with no interview with the President.

2014/10/22 09:38:30