Another Crisis not Wasted !

Tasine 2011/05/10 13:34:36
This a good thing!
This is NOT needed and will drive up the cost of cell phones
At least this way the President CANNOT be avoided.
Other
A new national alert system is set to begin in New York City that will alert the public to emergencies via cell phones.

Presidential and local emergency messages as well as Amber Alerts
would appear on cell phones equipped with special chips and software.

The Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Emergency Management Agency said the system would also warn about terrorist attacks and natural disasters.

Verizon and AT&T;, the nation’s largest cell phone carriers, are
already on board. Consumers would be able to opt out of all but those
presidential messages.

The announcement of the new emergency alert system came Monday in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s death and an uptick in security and safety concerns around New York City.

For now, the system is capable on certain high-end cell phones but
starting next year, all cell phones will be required to have the chip
that receives alerts.

By the end of the year, the new system will be in place in New York
City and Washington and in cities around the country by the end of 2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking just for myself, I say this is a scam, dreamed up by the Administration to add to their repertoire of "improvements" made for the safety of the American citizen - a way to not avoid Obie's interminable recitations, and a way to have the taxpayer pay for everyone a cell phone. Certainly a way to increase the price of a phone, not for OUR benefit, but for the benefit of those in power. What do you think?

Read More: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/national-em...

• ray 2011/05/10 14:17:19
    Other
    ray
    +5
    Don't worry about the price of phones, they give them away for free when you sign on for service , an new chip ? cost is next to nothing.
    Look instead to what the new chip can / will do . Locate you ? monitor your calls? baby monitor , eves drop when the phone is off? remote camera / video access?
    The phone companies right now can send a text message to every cell phone in the country. ( test it , don't pay your phone bill for a while and they will text you )
    So with no new special chip needed or required , ask what the are trying to pull off in the background

• mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/05/11 03:16:16
    Other
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    What the hell reasoning is this to keep that close tabs on people that they keep our numbers that close to the government Someone left their brain somewhere over the rainbow. Since, correct me if im wrong, the same people cut service to blacberries in nyc and california last year more than once and a city a time. (just Saying)
  • PrettieReptar 2011/05/10 21:45:03 (edited)
    Other
    PrettieReptar
    +1
    "Consumers would be able to opt out of all but those presidential messages." ALL but Presidential messages? I think its quite obvious that this is not about safety and concern for cell phone holders.

The government is getting WAY TOO intrusive into our lives.

What's next? Insertable body chips?
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2011/05/10 16:46:13
    Other
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    As long as it is voluntary.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2011/05/10 16:05:24
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2011/05/10 15:25:42
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I don't want to hear ANYONE from the government on MY cell phone.

Next thing you know, we'll have to put an EPA monitor on our toilets to make sure we don't flush too many times. hear government cell phone epa monitor toilets flush times big brother snooping
  • Patriot Unit 2011/05/10 15:00:13
    Patriot Unit
    +4
    Just another Presidential Propaganda Outlet. And another means for them to take control of another aspect of our lives. Along with that and the GPS tracking They were know where we are, and control what we receive.
  • Demosthenes 2011/05/10 14:33:09
    Demosthenes
    +3
    On the face of it, I don't see the harm if you can opt out, but I'm sure the Obama government will find a way to abuse it.
  • ray 2011/05/10 14:17:19
    Other
    ray
    +5
  • Tasine ray 2011/05/10 14:21:41
    Tasine
    +4
    Oh, yes, I know. Actually most phones now have the GPS locator chip - and anyone can text you - so one really should wonder what is so special about this - but you can bet your sweet bippy costs will go up. Mustn't miss the perfect opportunity - and the taxpayer will be paying for all of it.
  • ray Tasine 2011/05/10 14:31:53
    ray
    +2
    My special sense is tingling , this is something FCC and FEMA both want, the Government will pay for the chip if the have to . They won't let cost / price interfere with their plan to spread this as far / wide / fast as possible.
    Look for in about a year or so , all phones will be Obsolete. new digital plan or some such thing.
  • Striker 2011/05/10 13:46:50
    Other
    Striker
    +5
    As I gather from other stuff here on SH, this is a NATIONAL thing, to begin May 13, 2011, but the beginning date set back 2 years. I've not searched to confirm.

My cell carrier charges for most text messages, and this will pee me off to have to get brainwashing messages from Gov. I detest texting anyway, but DoNotCall doesn't seem to block such crap.
  • Tasine Striker 2011/05/10 14:06:03
    Tasine
    +4
    Since we cannot trust our government anyway, I fail to see how this will be of much use to the average citizen, but I can sure see the cost of cell phones rise like a hot air balloon.

Oh, well, at least then the government can track us when they hear we may have a gun in our home. Or when we eat a hamburger and fries. Of course they can track most of us anyway.
  • Dub 2011/05/10 13:42:40
    Dub
    +4
    I will refuse to pay for a phone with that chip in it. If that happens and I need a new phone it will be to ebay, until the chipless phones no longer exist. Then I'll have to learn to make my own phone, or go without. Either way wouldn't be too hard to do.
  • Striker Dub 2011/05/10 14:30:36
    Striker
    +2
    Most, including myself, could never manage to build another phone, so I see that as a marginal solution. Then there is this collusion of cell-servers continuing, "our phone if you want our service". It's awful, but spy-chips can be built into most anything, a thought is that our DSL modems may already have them or surely could.
  • Dub Striker 2011/05/10 14:35:13
    Dub
    +3
    True, and building a cellphone can't be that hard. I'm not saying it's easy, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

There could already be spy chips in every electronic device we own. The thing is I doubt there is, and if they are making it public about a certain type of device I will discontinue use of that device if that is the only way around it.
  • Striker Dub 2011/05/10 15:01:11
    Striker
    +1
    Seems that the way things are going, we may have to avoid everything. Is that possible? Without communications it'll be extremely difficult to put anything together in resistance.
  • Dub Striker 2011/05/10 15:04:03
    Dub
    +2
    We'll have to go back to old technology, or create our own.
  • Striker Dub 2011/05/10 15:15:12
    Striker
    +1
    Wish that were in the picture, but Big Brother is running the show now. Anything which gets outta the brain is subject to capture, and brain chips will take care of whatever is left within the brain. We are going to have to learn how to deal with all that!
  • Dub Striker 2011/05/10 15:16:02
    Dub
    +1
    I refuse to live with that.
  • Striker Dub 2011/05/10 15:21:16
    Striker
    +1
    well suicide is not an option for me. I refuse and resist in every way I can find, but it's all become like tilting a windmill with a straw.
  • Dub Striker 2011/05/10 15:22:39
    Dub
    +2
    I'll find somewhere to exist without them finding me.

2014/09/30 06:27:09