Another company pulls advertising from TLC’s ‘All-American Muslim’

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2011/12/14 22:53:38

On the heels of a controversial decision by Lowe's Home Improvement to pull its advertising from TLC's "All-American Muslim"following protests from a conservative group, another company has decided to do the same--though it claims it was not because of the backlash.

In a letter of apology to customers, an executive at Kayak.com, the online travel site, explained the decision to stop advertising on the new reality show.

"When we decided to give our money to TLC for this program, we deemed the show a worthy topic," Robert Birge, Kayak's chief marketing officer, wrote in the letter posted on the site. "When we received angry emails regarding our decision to advertise, I looked into the show more thoroughly."

Birge continued:

The first thing I discovered was that TLC was not upfront with us about the nature of this show. As I said, it's a worthy topic, but any reasonable person would know that this topic is a particular lightning rod. We believe TLC went out of their way to pick a fight on this, and they didn't let us know their intentions. That's not a business practice that generally gets repeat business from us. I also believe that it did this subject a grave disservice. Sadly, TLC is now enjoying the attention from this controversy.

Birge said he received bulk emails from members of the Florida Family Association, which last monthlaunched an online campaign to pressure marketers, like Lowes, to pull their advertising from the program.

"TLC's 'All-American Muslim' is propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values," the group wrote. "The show profiles only Muslims that appear to be ordinary folks while excluding many Islamic believers whose agenda poses a clear and present danger to the liberties and traditional values that the majority of Americans cherish."

The group said 65 advertisers targeted by the campaign agreed to pull their ads from the show. (However, a spokeswoman for TLC told THR that there remains "strong advertising support for the show." )

"The amount of vitriol in the emails was saddening, but I didn't exactly feel pressured," Birge wrote, "not to mention we wouldn't bend to such pressure."

The Lowe's decision to pull its ads sparked a backlash from Muslim groups and supporters of the show. The company apologized on Facebook, which led to an avalanche of vitriolic comments. (Ted Lieu, a state senator from California, told the Associated Press that he would help initiate a boycott if Lowe's did not apologize.)

Birge admitted that the "decision comes across as bending to bigotry," and "it also appears that we did not support people who deserve support as people and as Americans."

"For that," he wrote, "I am profoundly sorry."

Birge added: "Mostly, I just thought the show sucked. Based on our dealings with TLC and the simple assessment of the show, I decided we should put our money elsewhere. Apologies again."

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/another-compan...

• Elephant Lord 2012/02/03 08:01:43
    Elephant Lord
    +1
    Shame that so many businesses are succumbing to ignorance and bigotry.
  • Jimbo 2011/12/19 11:18:44
    Jimbo
    +2
    I will boycott all with similar bias. I would ask all these religious Christian nuts when did Jesus ever teach people to hate others?
  • seathan... Jimbo 2011/12/20 03:02:55
    seathanaich
    +1
    Christianity is more than "Jesus", and what this possibly-real person is alleged to have said by people who never actually knew him. Christianity is also the rest of the Bible - including the OT - plus all the doctrine, dogma, and actions its adherents do in its name.
  • Israel Jimbo 2012/01/14 18:19:26
  • lucky 2011/12/15 14:26:41
    lucky
    +2
    Ridiculous, what that group is claiming is like saying that a Christian television show shouldnt get advertisers because it doesnt show the bad elements who claim to be Christian. Just because it shows the decent elements of Muslims doesnt mean people will ignore the bad elements no more then they ignore the bad elements within my own religion.
  • Israel lucky 2012/01/14 18:20:08
  • lucky Israel 2012/01/16 18:31:41
    lucky
    You misunderstood my comment, try reading it again.
  • Israel lucky 2012/01/17 13:57:42
  • lucky Israel 2012/01/17 16:03:21
    lucky
    Your entitled to your opinion. If you dont like mine then tough, your not going to change it and Im not going to argue over it.
  • Israel lucky 2012/01/18 15:29:51
    +3
    The source of all the contraversy is the hate group called Florida Family Association an associate local group of the American Family Association that is backing Rick Perry and many ultra right christo-fascists.

Again, this is the actions of a hate group that is set upon to create in our country not only divisions between political groups but between religious groups as well.

They are an anti-anything they don't believe group that uses constant lies to get their way. They have made it a demand of dozens of companies to interfer with basic human civil rights of our country.

In my mind they are traitors and are against the principles of our US Constitution.
  • Kashee 2011/12/15 04:31:11
    Kashee
    +1
    I like this show. I need to contact Lowes and Kayak.
  • ETpro 2011/12/15 04:26:28
    ETpro
    +1
    Well there's one more company I won't be doing business with.
  • Xerxes,Phantom of PHAET 2011/12/15 02:57:00
    Xerxes,Phantom of PHAET
    +1
    Making a mountain out of a molehill. Look at all the shows for pedophiles on this channel
  • ..::localeye::.. 2011/12/15 00:33:17 (edited)
    ..::localeye::..
    +3
    I've never heard of this show but I think its funny that people think this show is muslim propaganda. The FFA seems like a bunch of bigoted homophobes from looking at their websites.
  • Israel ..::loc... 2012/01/17 13:58:45
  • Farmville Fan 2011/12/14 23:50:56
    Farmville Fan
    +4
    Businesses are free to spend their advertising dollars where they see fit. And free to pull those same ad dollars. Lowe's and Kayak have done nothing illegal.
  • Anna Syn Farmvil... 2011/12/15 02:17:20 (edited)
    Anna Syn
    +2
    But they are caving to pressure from a group who want a 'real' t.v. show that shows American Muslims running around screaming 'infidel' while attempting to cover every woman they see with a bed sheet and while they hold secret 'Let's destroy this' meetings in their basement.
    (look up the Fox or CNN sites and it says that the FL based group is upset over the fact that they are not showing American Muslims who are extremists and that some how TLC is putting a false image of what an American Muslim truly is)

If they want a t.v. show that shows what type of Muslim that attacked the US on 9/11 they need to go to the middle east and even then its only a certain few who are considered extremist.

This t.v. show was created in attempts to show the American public that not all Muslims are bad and that American Muslims are not bad just because they are Muslims, that would be like saying all Christians are bad because they were the cause of the Salem Witch Trials.
  • Anna Syn 2011/12/14 23:29:11 (edited)
    Anna Syn
    +4
    Most Americans are Sheeple who are afraid of what they don't know and spout off things that they have no facts for what they say.

This show doesn't harm you nor anyone who might watch, watching the show doesn't make you suddenly want to scream 'Infidel' while attempting to cover your wife and daughters or any female in your family with a sheet.

Americans are still living with the fear that 9/11 caused and because of that they are blinded by the hate of a small group of people within a larger community thus marring their views of the entire community.

-Update-
    Apparently the reason why the FL based group is mad over the tv show isn't because they are showing the lives of average American Muslims, it is because they are not showing a 'real' tv show that has American Muslims running around screaming 'Infidel' and while attempting to cover every woman they see with a bed sheet.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2011/12/14 23:25:39
    NarcolepticGoat
    +6
    John Stewart's response was the best. The FffFffAhh is pissed because TLC is showing facts that disrupt their bigoted view of Muslims.
  • Israel Narcole... 2012/01/17 14:10:31
  • **StarzAbove** 2011/12/14 23:24:05
    **StarzAbove**
    +2
    They had every right to pull advertising. It's a free country.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2011/12/14 23:14:04 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +3

The interesting thing about this whole escapade is that I had never even heard of the show, let alone considered watching it, unless these islamophobes had made this concerted effort to take that right away from.

interesting escapade heard watching islamophobes concerted effort

...I guess nothing beats free advertizing.
  • Reggie☮ 2011/12/14 23:07:40
    Reggie☮
    +7
    This show is nothing more than propaganda.
  • Marian Reggie☮ 2011/12/15 02:23:39 (edited)
    Marian
    +2
    I find it funny how Jon Stewart pointed out that the reason why people are angry about the show because of "the absence of the elements of terrorism". People are angry because the people in the show are normal and it's hard to believe that not all Muslims are evil? LOL. People's sense of reason is messed up.
  • Reggie☮ Marian 2011/12/15 23:24:25
    Reggie☮
    +1
    LOL Normal???
  • Israel Marian 2012/01/17 14:11:50
  • Marian 2011/12/14 23:01:38 (edited)
    Marian
    +7
    "The show profiles only Muslims that appear to be ordinary folks while excluding many Islamic believers whose agenda poses a clear and present danger to the liberties and traditional values that the majority of Americans cherish."

Maybe because not all Muslims are terrorists, murderers, or hate America? Maybe because Muslims are just like you and me? We're all a part of the HUMAN race.
    diversity
  • selmawolf Marian 2011/12/14 23:19:11
    selmawolf
    +4
    Thank you for these words... I'm a muslim... And I breathe the same air like everyone else, I bleed like everyone else... WE ARE PEOPLE...
  • Otaku Link 2011/12/14 22:56:28
    Otaku Link
    +3
    Anti-diversity... loser 's

2014/07/22 15:01:47