And they say that Conservatives are Paranoid?

Will Advocate of PHAET 2012/04/24 14:10:40

'I've had my phone tapped': Susan Sarandon claims 'government is watching her'... and reveals she was denied White House security clearance

By Lydia Warren

Actress and left-wing activist Susan Sarandon has claimed she was recently denied security clearance for a visit to the White House - and that the government has been tapping her phone.

The Oscar winner, who has vehemently condemned the war in Iraq, made the claims on Sunday during a Q&A; session at the Tribeca Film Festival - an 11-day event in New York's Lower Manhattan.

One audience member asked whether Sarandon, who was answering questions alongside documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, believed she was under surveillance by the government.

'We know we're under surveillance,' Sarandon said: 'I’ve had my phone tapped.'

She added: 'I was denied a security clearance to go to the White House and I don’t know why.' She asked the audience member jokingly: 'Do you know why?'

Sarandon said she knew she was being watched by the government as she had twice seen a file held on her through Freedom of Information requests, the Daily Beast reported.

Moore, who directed Fahrenheit 9/11 and Capitalism: A Love Story, said he would not be surprised if 'somebody, somewhere' has subjected him to surveillance. 'As it should be,' he laughed.

The White House snub suggests Sarandon's activism - which has spanned four decades - is deemed troubling by the government.

And despite claiming she does not know why she was denied clearance, the actress must be more aware than she let on.

Sarandon has been actively involved in promoting liberal political causes and supporting human rights, donating money and lending her voice and recognisable face to campaigns since the 1980s.

During presidential elections, she has thrown her support behind Democratic and independent candidates, such as Ralph Nader in 2000, running as co-chair of his National Steering Committee.

In 2004, she signed a petition urging people to vote for John Kerry. Following the election, she called the U.S. elections to be monitored by international bodies.

Sarandon and her then-husband, actor Tim Robbins, campaigned for John Edwards in New Hampshire, even suggesting that Jesus would be 'very supportive' of the presidential candidate.

ACTING OUT: SUSAN THE ACTIVIST

Sarandon's recent rejection from the White House could indicate that her outspoken activism is deemed troubling by the government.

She has been an activist - promoting liberal political causes and supporting human rights - for four decades. She has donated funds and lent her voice and face to campaigns.

Alongside anti-war activists such as Cindy Sheehan, Sarandon has taken part in protests against the 2003 invasion of Iraq and in support of withdrawing troops.

She has spoken out for gay rights and thrown her support behind Democratic presidential candidates in previous elections - even calling for international bodies to monitor U.S. elections in 2004.

Most recently, she has addressed protesters in the Occupy Wall Street movement, encouraging them to fight harder to hold the government accountable.

She also upset Catholics last October when she described the Pope as a 'Nazi'.

'Jesus was anti-corporate, as we clearly saw in the Temple,' she said at the time.

The actress was also vehemently against the invasion of Iraq in 2003, addressing thousands at a rally in Washington, D.C. in October 2002.

'Let us resist this war,' she shouted. 'Let us hate war in all its forms, whether the weapon used is a missile or an airplane.'

In January 2007, she appeared with Robbins and Jane Fonda at an anti-war rally in Washington, D.C. to support a Congressional measure to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq.

As well as her anti-war stance, Sarandon has been vocal in support of gay rights, appearing in a 'Love is Love is Love' advert which promoting tolerance of gay, lesbian and transgender people.

Sarandon continues to be at the forefront of political movements, speaking to reporters and fellow activists at the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York City last September.

She spoke of the harm bankers have caused Americans and said citizens need to demand accountability from the government.

She advised: 'Your weakness is that there are so many issues.

'You're gonna be easy to be dismissed if you don't concentrate on a single cause.'

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2133940/Susan-Sarando...

• cmdrbnd007 2012/04/24 21:13:38
  • Beagle Mom 2012/04/24 18:59:27
    Beagle Mom
    +2
    Can a tin foil hat be far behind?? Haute couture tin foil, but tin foil nonetheless.
  • Mr. Smith 2012/04/24 18:08:13
    Mr. Smith
    +1
    Typical ignorant Liberal activist. She fights for 40 years to feed and grow the big government snake, and then is shocked when the snake bites her.
  • Gooky 2012/04/24 17:54:40
    Gooky
    +1
    WTF???I thought Bammy was her boy!!!
  • Eric 2012/04/24 17:39:06
    Eric
    +3
    I am sure that somehow it is Bush's fault.
  • Sgt Major B 2012/04/24 17:07:34
    Sgt Major B
    +5
    I've always thought of her as Jane Fonda's younger, dumber sister.
  • schjaz 2012/04/24 15:52:56
    schjaz
    +3
    The article reads...The White House snub suggests Sarandon's activism - which has spanned four decades - is deemed troubling by the government.

The government? But not the Obama adminstration, right? If a republican were president, would it be the republicans surveilling her?
    Hmmmm...

The Oblahblah admin wants nothing to do with her during the campaign.
  • Texas Johnny 2012/04/24 15:41:11
    Texas Johnny
    +5
    Funny, lots of loyal communist party members who supported Stalin feared him, even after his death. Liberals who support Obama should expect no less!
  • Will Ad... Texas J... 2012/04/24 15:43:29
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +2
    Good point, Johnny!
  • Texas J... Will Ad... 2012/04/24 15:44:12
    Texas Johnny
    +2
    Thanks !
  • schjaz Texas J... 2012/04/24 15:53:38 (edited)
    schjaz
    +1
    excellant....besides, Sarandon is no Clooney...she is serious and wants answers. putting a cocktail in her hand at dinner won't make a bit of difference to her.
  • Texas J... schjaz 2012/04/24 19:44:09
    Texas Johnny
    +2
    Man, ain't she a trip?
  • schjaz Texas J... 2012/04/25 14:30:49
    schjaz
    +1
    oh yeah, and as much as i can disagree with her, i do find myself respecting her as well. same goes for Daryl Hannah.
  • exhon2009 2012/04/24 15:32:53
    exhon2009
    +4
    Ahh, the typecast Bull Durham slut had her phone tapped by the very people she is so eager to support. Play me a friggin violin.
  • schjaz exhon2009 2012/04/25 14:31:23
    schjaz
    slut? really? a bit harsh, don't you think?
  • exhon2009 schjaz 2012/04/25 16:41:25
    exhon2009
    I'm not the one who typecast her.
  • Freeranger 2012/04/24 15:30:19
    Freeranger
    +3
    She's certainly had her share of being tapped, but I don't think the connection was a phone
  • Will Ad... Freeranger 2012/04/24 15:40:51
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +2
    Ha Ha Ha!!!
  • schjaz Freeranger 2012/04/25 14:31:47
    schjaz
    And you say that because?
  • DM Twin 2012/04/24 15:19:04
  • Mr Wayne 2012/04/24 15:17:42
    Mr Wayne
    +3
    "Susan Sarandon has claimed she was recently denied security clearance for a visit to the White House"

Exactly what makes "Janet" think she DESERVES a security clearance?
    janet weiss
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2012/04/24 15:13:27
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/24 14:52:12 (edited)
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    "Sarandon and her then-husband, actor Tim Robbins, campaigned for John Edwards in New Hampshire, even suggesting that Jesus would be 'very supportive' of the presidential candidate."

Hahaha!!!! I wonder what these two idiots think now. Maybe Sarandon was denied a visit to the WH because there are already enough idiots in the WH these days.

By the way, I don't know if Jane Fonda ever visited the White House either. Maybe the WH does not like polarizing figures. Get over yourself Sarandon. You are not that important. And tell Tim to try Viagra. Lord knows I'd need it too if I had to go home to you every night...

edit: Oh, I see even Viagra isn't enough. He left her in 2009....
  • Wayne 2012/04/24 14:50:16
    Wayne
    +3
    BWAHHAHAHAHA the left at it's finest !!!!!!!
  • U-Dog 2012/04/24 14:43:11
    U-Dog
    +5
    I think many of these idiot actors, become political experts, have way too much time on their hands, way too many mirrors in their houses and way too many yes people around them.
    +3
    Ego on display me thinks. Two people who seriously think that the world revolves around them and their 'wonderfulness'. She is a fine actress to be sure but her opinions are the same as anyone else's; he is over - his 15 min is long past
  • fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust" 2012/04/24 14:23:39
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/04/24 14:17:49
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/04/24 14:15:16
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +4
    Yes, she's made her money off of liberals as well as conservatives and now she's using our money against us. Such a nice lady. NOT.

Just another Hollywood nutcase who insults those who bought what she had to sell. But we're not buying this BS!
  • Will Ad... Louisa ... 2012/04/24 14:16:27
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +4
    I think it's funny.

2014/10/23 18:04:11