And Liberals are calling these people stingy and other unwholesome names.

Drew~PWCM~JLA~ 2012/11/15 21:08:04
They are just stingy!
They are staying open!
DENNY'S TO ADD 5% SURCHARGE TO PAY FOR OBAMACARE. WILL CUT BACK EMPLOYEES HOURS - The cost of Obama's massive Socialization of medical care is now going to cost average Americans, both in dollars and in jobs! Denny's in Florida will now add a 5% Obamacare surcharge to all bills, and will cut back many employees hours to avoid Obama's massive tax. John Metz, who runs approx. 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise told his employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately. I think it's a terrible thing. It's ridiculous that the max hours we can give people is 28 hrs a week instead of 40,' said Metz 'It's going to force my employees to go out and get a second job. But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175K per restaurant and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don't make $175K a year. I can't afford it.' This scene is being repeated all over America. Barack Obama...Job Killer.

• Theresa 2012/11/15 21:19:09
    They are staying open!
    Theresa
    +16
    Denny's will cut all employees hours and they need the extra 5% for the federal govt. So you can see this Health Care Law is a Tax!

• Avenged7 2012/11/24 22:01:47
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/11/24 19:00:54
    They are just stingy!
    **StarzAbove**
    The last I heard Denney's decided NOT to add that tax, because they were losing business. It was all about making more money for themselves and blaming it on the Obama administration.
  • Dave 2012/11/24 18:53:45
    They are staying open!
    Dave
    +1
    These are just angry Right Wingnuts business owners. First off - is any of this true? Why do they think that this will affect their businesses?

I'm not kidding - I'd like to find some info on ObamaCare that would actually be truthful and as to what a person or a business could expect.

When I see things like this posting - it comes across as a negative. The business owner doesn't care about their employees. I avoid places like these. If "Denny's in Florida" thinks a 5% increase will take care of the issue --- WHY WOULD YOU ADVERISE IT? It's a negative toward your business. lol It's the same principle of Mittens hiding his money off shore - he isn't going to brag about it while he campaigned. lol
  • criticalthinker 2012/11/22 23:22:59
    They are just stingy!
    criticalthinker
    +3
    Boycott Denny's and eat at McDonalds. If you work for Denny's quit and go work for a real employer who is not going to rip you off.
  • Drew~PW... critica... 2012/11/24 06:13:36
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    LMAO!!! Mac is already only hiring in part time mode.
  • **Starz... Drew~PW... 2012/11/24 19:01:52
    **StarzAbove**
    McDonalds has always hired mostly part timers. Mostly young kids who are still in school.
  • critica... Drew~PW... 2012/11/24 20:19:18
    criticalthinker
    +1
    They don't turn their business into a political platform, however.
    They are staying open!
    +2
    Unfortunately....not for long because once a business starts to base its prices on costs, you know it has lost the spirit of the entrepreneur who started it. Just read any pricing text to discover what I mean.

By raising prices, Denny's will lose some customers. By tying that price increase to a political issue, Denny's will lose more customers. What do they gain? The opportunity to make a political statement....they will probably find it was an expensive statement.

But then forecasting the demise of Denny's is hardly revolutionary. Denny's has been in decline for 10 plus years.
  • critica... Ken 2012/11/22 23:29:20
    criticalthinker
    +2
    Obviously their management is bad. I never liked their food anyway. No real loss there. They want to exploit their employees so the employees need to either strike or move on, or both.
  • Howler Ken 2012/11/23 00:25:51 (edited)
    Howler
    +1
    "But then forecasting the demise of Denny's is hardly revolutionary. Denny's has been in decline for 10 plus years."
    ______________________

I agree it sounds good for a politically-minded Obamacare supporter like Mr. Ken.

Of course, the type of market Denny's is in could collectively be in a decline...

But, isn't the Denny's chain at the top, or near the top of the market share compared to its competitors?

My oh my, what a phony is Mr. Ken who is REALLY the one wanting to get "political" when businesses commence to shed a negative light on the consequences of the ACA.
  • Ken Howler 2012/11/23 03:44:32
    Well...you have railed against Obamacare for several years. ... it survived.

As for Denny's (earnings growth -33%) market position...I don't even know what market it is in or who competes. Perhaps Cracker Barrel (earnings growth +98%) .... DIne Equities (earnings growth 260%) ... Brinkers International (earnings growth 18%).

As I have said before, you are obviously not an investor or an entrepreneur. If you were, you would have already known these facts. Denny's is a dying brand and corporation.
  • Howler Ken 2012/11/23 14:03:14 (edited)
  • Ken Howler 2012/11/23 15:38:22
    Here is where I found Denny's growth rate: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks... ....scroll down the page and you will find the Qtrly Earnings Growth (yoy) If you want to compare them to their competition, click on "Competitors" on the left hand side. to see how it compared to others in its industry. Bottom line...Denny's is declining in a growing industry. This page also addresses your question, "But, isn't the Denny's chain at the top, or near the top of the market share compared to its competitors?" The answer is no it is not near the top of the market share compared to its competitors; it has 1/2 the revenue of DIN and 1/5 the revenue of Cracker Barrel.

As for who I am or who you know. Those who read my posts will decide for themselves. Obviously we have political differences. As for my being a phony as you claim, they can assess that fact by simply comparing the content of my posts to yours.

BTW...I am sorry you have too much time on your hands. I enjoy my time on Sodahead although sometimes it crowds out other things I should be doing.
  • Howler Ken 2012/11/23 15:58:14 (edited)
    Howler
    +1
    Yes, people will decide for themselves...I am not sorry I have too much time on my hands...I like it for a change, but it will wear off...Regardless, thanks for your sympathy.

Looked on the link you provided as well..Wish the charts could be posted as pics..Nothing on my link, nor your link indicates DENN is "dying".

Nothing on either link indicates DENN is as you explicitly stated earlier - "Denny's has been in decline for 10 plus years."

As for my statement relative to their competitive market share...I was simply asking the question BEFORE I checked it out to find out that even though DENN is NOT at the TOP, there is NOTHING to indicate your quote -- "Denny's has been in decline for 10 plus years" - has ANY truth or fact whatsoever.

Here is your entire statement -

Yes, Mr. Ken, my wine-indulging, politically-motivated, phony friend...People can decide for themselves.
  • Ken Howler 2012/11/23 16:16:49
    I have asserted that Denny's is a poor investment and declining company. You suggest without saying that I am wrong. So let me ask a direct question: Are you asserting that Denny's is a growth company?

Here are what others are saying about Denny's:
    http://www.fool.com/investing...
    http://wallstcheatsheet.com/s...
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news...

Again let me be clear about my opinion of Denny's.... Denny's is a dying company. Although there is time to turn it around, the public position it has taken on Obamacare suggests it does not have the entrepreneurial skill to succeed with such a turnaround.
  • Howler Ken 2012/11/23 16:30:00
  • Ken Howler 2012/11/23 17:00:59
    Obviously not everyone agrees with me. But what do you think Howler....is Denny's a good investment? Are you putting your money into Denny's? Do you even have the brains to form your own opinion?

FYI....did you notice that Denny's corporate backed away from the comments about raising prices because of the affordable care act? Pointing out that the person making these comments represented less the 1% of the Denny's restaurants?
  • Howler Ken 2012/11/23 17:13:09
  • Ken Howler 2012/11/23 17:29:11
    The problem I have with you Howler is that basically you are nuts.

Any statements about future events are obviously opinions. When I present such opinions they are based fact but the future has not yet happened and so my statements are clearly an opinion.

You will be tempted to take subsections of other posts out of context in order to prove your opinion about me. Only a fool such as you would waste time with such effort. Clearly my reasoning is not 100 percent consistent but to compare a discussion of "why" something happened to the future prospects of a corporation is foolishness.
  • Howler Ken 2012/11/23 18:01:44 (edited)
    Howler
    I have no problem with you whatsoever.

But, you are still nuts...And nuts with an online, phony, embellished persona that is used to make political points.

Thus, you did so with your asserted, speculated "demise" of Denny's based on nothing stronger than your desire to make them look that way because of its negative, expensive light towards the ACA.

To make opinionated statements that Denny's has been on a TEN PLUS YEAR decline, thus touting its "demise" without such evidence is at least remarkable and worth noting.

And, that "opinionated" statement about Denny" 10+ year decline is not about future events -- it is about the past -- yet you have nothing to substantiate your assertion.
  • bob h. 2012/11/22 20:03:25
    They are just stingy!
    bob h.
    +2
    So how many waitresses work 40 hrs or get $7 hr? And what was the reason for the last raise?
  • critica... bob h. 2012/11/22 23:31:49
    criticalthinker
    +1
    Lots of waitresses work 40 or more hours and make a lot more than $7 and hour and even more with tips. Just not at dives like Denny's.
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/11/22 18:15:01
    They are staying open!
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +4
    No, we're calling them liars and what about the unwholesome names the stingy right-wingers are calling liberals? Hypocrite much? Apparently so.
  • critica... Guru_T_... 2012/11/22 23:32:46
    criticalthinker
    +2
    Well said.
  • CTF 2012/11/22 16:50:05
    They are just stingy!
    CTF
    +4
    And frankly, he's shooting himself in the foot by doing this. Any sensible entrepreneur knows better than injecting politics into the workplace. Especially when you have the diverse customer base of a restaurant. While I'm sure he knows that providing healthcare coverage to employees is tax deduction, and would actually SAVE him money, the fact is, that even if he felt compelled to raise his prices to cover the cost, he could simply do so silently, without calling it the "Obamacare surcharge". Which only proves that he's doing nothing more than engaging in political grandstanding.
  • critica... CTF 2012/11/22 23:34:43
    criticalthinker
    +2
    Liberals should call for the boycott of such businesses. Then they will get the message.
  • Guru_T_... critica... 2012/11/23 00:01:51
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +2
    They'll have to do better than they have to earn my business back.
  • critica... Guru_T_... 2012/11/24 04:24:28
    criticalthinker
    +1
    Real democracy is when consumers vote with their dollars.
  • Guru_T_... critica... 2012/11/24 05:02:18
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +1
    That it is.
  • critica... Guru_T_... 2012/11/24 05:07:42
    criticalthinker
    +1
    thanks.
  • CTF critica... 2012/11/23 06:49:19
    CTF
    +2
    Well, I'll tell you one thing. I'm very selective about where I choose to spend my money. And I don't contribute a dime to businesses that treat me, as a customer, or their employees unfairly by my standards.
  • critica... CTF 2012/11/24 04:25:38
    criticalthinker
    +2
    That what we all need to do.
  • Heptarch 2012/11/22 14:27:39
    They are just stingy!
    Heptarch
    +5
    They don't get it. You can't make a decision and then blame it on someone else.

That would be like me getting pissed off at someone and vandalizing his car, then blaming HIM for my actions.
  • critica... Heptarch 2012/11/22 23:37:50
    criticalthinker
    +3
    You must be a clear thinking liberal. He is a mentally deficient fascist. That is the difference.
  • Heptarch critica... 2012/11/23 11:14:42
    Heptarch
    +1
    I appreciate the compliment, but I'm not a Liberal. I'm a Moderate. I have both conservative and liberal positions.
  • critica... Heptarch 2012/11/24 04:27:46
    criticalthinker
    We will cut your head off when you say something stupid and conservative, but today you are right.
  • Heptarch critica... 2012/11/24 11:28:57
    Heptarch
    +1
    Do what you feel is appropriate.
  • critica... Heptarch 2012/11/24 20:20:13
    criticalthinker
    Always do.
  • Spizzzo BN-0 2012/11/22 13:47:27
    They are staying open!
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +4
    Lousy options, here, Drew--but you knew that, didn't you, you hateful and cowardly guy? Otherwise, you would have offered REAL options, right?

Wanting to limit hours in order to keep people from insurance so they may sicken and die so that one may maxmize profits IS stingy, in the LEAST! How can anyone see it otherwise?
  • Drew~PW... Spizzzo... 2012/11/24 06:24:45
    Drew~PWCM~JLA~
    LMAO! Coward? You should speak. They are limiting hrs so they can avoid the costs the gov is forcing down their throats. ;)

2014/09/21 08:13:56