An Exploding Number Of PhD Recipients Are Using Food Stamps

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/05/08 05:54:10
The number of PhD recipients on food stamps and other forms of welfare more than tripled between 2007 and 2010 to 33,655, according to an Urban Institute analysis cited by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Read More:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/food-stamps-phd-reci...

• Atmara 2012/05/08 07:07:45
    Atmara
    +5
    I hear more people on FS than ever, like 50 million or more. Just does not sound sustainable. If the whole system crashes, who they gonna blame?

• tweet_tweet 2012/05/08 12:40:29
    tweet_tweet
    +1
    A lot of them are sadly wasting their time and will have a miserable time finding work when they are out of school.
  • adhikari_2000 2012/05/08 10:36:55
    adhikari_2000
    +1
    American PhD holders do not buy trash money not to diminish to remember their spirit habits of their citizens.
    As "you can keep the things of bronze and stone, and give me one man to remember me just once a year" (Ed Weiner The Damon Runyon Story {1948}): Damon Runyon (1884-1946). Thank you all.God blesses America.
  • La 2012/05/08 08:30:58
    La
    +2
    Ah well. Don't bother doing extra study if it won't get you a job.
  • Uranos7 2012/05/08 07:24:15
    Uranos7
    +2
    My mom taught respiratory therapy at a community college for two years but quit because she made more nurseing on the weekends than she did teaching full time.
    We need to pay our teachers better.
  • David Hussey 2012/05/08 07:10:26
    David Hussey
    +2
    Hmmm... tuition costs and student debt loads ever increasing whil job prospects upon graduation dwindling.... seems pretty obvious to me
  • Atmara 2012/05/08 07:07:45
    Atmara
    +5
  • David H... Atmara 2012/05/08 07:13:22
    David Hussey
    +2
    They will blame whoever is their ideological political opponents might be. If they are conservative minded, it will all be Obama's fault. If they are liberal, the blame will be directed at Bush or the 'Rethuglicans' in Congress.
  • Uranos7 Atmara 2012/05/08 07:30:03
    Uranos7
    +1
    Food stamps: The number of people in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, known as food stamps, hit a record 44.2 million in January. That's up 4.7 million from the prior year.

You would be right that is the highest number in 20 years.
  • JanHopkins 2012/05/08 07:07:09
    JanHopkins
    +2
    It's nice that they spent all that time money and effort on becoming educated but now they will have to learn how to be creative and make their own jobs just like many of us do who don't have such sterling credentials. Welcome to hell!
  • David H... JanHopkins 2012/05/08 07:13:57
    David Hussey
    +1
    Awww... its not hell, its just real life
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/08 06:59:12
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +2
    HOW TRAGIC! Now I won't complain about ma Hubba didn't finish his dissertation.

At least, he still makes money to feed us!
  • RicardoCabeza 2012/05/08 06:44:14
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    Too smart for their own good, I wonder if they would get fired for lying about being a High School drop out on a 7-11 job application?
  • Z 2012/05/08 06:18:16
    Z
    +1
    LIESSSS!!

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
    ░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄
    ░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
    ░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
    ░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
    ...█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒...
    █░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▄▒█
    ░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░░█
    ░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█
    ░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█
    ░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█
    ░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█
    ░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
  • David H... Z 2012/05/08 07:14:52
    David Hussey
    Got any data to support that assertion Z?
  • Uranos7 Z 2012/05/08 07:31:42
    Uranos7
    It's not lies it's the result of Obamanomics.
  • AmericanVirus 2012/05/08 06:11:41
    AmericanVirus
    +1
    That's just funderful
  • haarp35117 2012/05/08 06:07:52
    +3
    Sure, the graduating classes of 2007-2012 decided to stay in college and get their masters and PHD's during the recession, Smart moves. Now they are over qualified and can't get work. The result is the next big finiancial bomb will be the student loan defaults and that will kill off about $ 1 Trillion in new national debt.

It doesn't end does it.
  • 3052457 sjalan 2012/05/08 06:48:15
  • sjalan 3052457 2012/05/08 08:50:21
    +1
    I just checked the 5 major cities in the US. LA, SF. Seattle, Chicago. Between them there were over 400 pages of ads for all sorts of professional jobs.

No it is not that there are no jobs, It is that the companies are simply not willing to pay the extra wages that the degrees qualify and reasonably so are expected from the applicant.

Nope I don't see this going away easily no manner what.
  • 3052457 sjalan 2012/05/08 09:11:15
  • sjalan 3052457 2012/05/08 09:24:11
    +2
    Yep I saw that here for about a year. The net was that the people that took those cleaning jobs kept finding the jobs they wanted and the body turnover was horrible. It amounted to a turnstile of hiring and leaving. I know one company that just gave up and wouldn't even consider someone with a degree for an entry level position.

One smart kid put his education on the app under "Other intrests and hobbies" YEP Biking, Hiking, BS, reading, writing, swimming, MS, base jumping, camping, PHD, baseball, hockey etc etc.

He got hired by the company he really wanted to work for in a JANITORS positon. Within 5 months a job opened up that required his BS degree and he applied for it from within the company. He just moved the degree out of the "Other Interests and Hobbies" section flushed out the explaination and he was hired into the new position. Another year later there was another job that required his MS degree. He did the same thing. He got hired into the new position. Finally after two years he was going for a division heads position and the personell person thought about what was going on with him and during the prelimiary interview asked him about his schooling. It was funny. The person that was the hiring authority for the job listened to his explaination and told the person fro...

He got hired by the company he really wanted to work for in a JANITORS positon. Within 5 months a job opened up that required his BS degree and he applied for it from within the company. He just moved the degree out of the "Other Interests and Hobbies" section flushed out the explaination and he was hired into the new position. Another year later there was another job that required his MS degree. He did the same thing. He got hired into the new position. Finally after two years he was going for a division heads position and the personell person thought about what was going on with him and during the prelimiary interview asked him about his schooling. It was funny. The person that was the hiring authority for the job listened to his explaination and told the person from personeel "don't bother calling in any other candidates. I'm hiring this young man here and now.' Point was the kid thought out of the box and actually got one of the 4 or 5 jobs he really wanted with the company he wanted to work for.

He loves his new job and is doing excedingly well at it too.
  • David H... sjalan 2012/05/08 07:17:47
    David Hussey
    +3
    Often when people say "I can't get work" what they are really saying is "I can't get a job that pays what I feel I'm worth" And as an employer, I can attest to there being a lot of young kids with insane expectations for what kind of pay they will be getting
  • sjalan David H... 2012/05/08 09:03:22
    +2
    To the workers I hire here on my farm/ranch I pay room and board +a wage. That wage has gone up every year for the last 20 years. It is now for my least senior person $12.50 per hour. considering what else I supply it is a reasonable wage.

However, if I were a company that was looking for well educated individuals for my company I'd have to pay a premium for the best of the best so I know that I am most likely to succede in my endevors. HOWEVER, NOT i this economy. MOST of the companies are low balling wages to these graduates and they just are not willing to do the job for the minimum figure the companies are offering. Why? Because the instant they go to work their student loans come due and they must start paying on them. Some of these kids to get their PHD's have over $100K in loans outstanding that when they come do are payable in 60 months. If the job pays $60 K they cannot live in anything but a shopping cart and on the street. It is a $2150 per month payment.

And that example just happened to a friend of mines son. The kid needs to make $100 K a year for the first 5 years at the very least to be able to pay off his loans. And that doesn't even figure in inflation and all the other stuff.

It is big business that is going to mess this up all over again.
  • 3052457 sjalan 2012/05/08 09:13:25
  • sjalan 3052457 2012/05/08 09:25:17
    +1
    Yep, but that is the way the programs work and yes it is brutal.
  • David H... sjalan 2012/05/09 00:49:17
    David Hussey
    $12.50\hr on top of accommodation.... that is rather more than reasonable I would say.

I think the current economic environment provides many companies the advantage of what amounts to a 'buyers market'. A shortage of jobs and an abundance of qualified people available to fill those jobs puts the employer in the drivers seat. I also think that many people have somewhat put themselves into the position (re: their education\debts) they find themselves. There are many fields which struggle to find the skilled people they need, and this demand has been a common thing. Those who chose carefully the field they pursued have no problems gaining good jobs, and being well paid for their skills, A degree is no guarantee of a good job, although for a long time it has been sold as though it is.

Personally, I think anyone who sets themselves up that they require a 6 figure income at the start of a career is delusional. A perfect example of the younger generation's sense of entitlement.
  • 3052457 David H... 2012/05/08 09:12:02
  • S. Gompers 2012/05/08 05:56:17
    S. Gompers
    Another green shoot of our new economy...
  • MissingTheO.C. 2012/05/08 05:55:01

2014/07/23 18:09:06