America's New Slogan: Awesome or Awful?

Forget the United States of America! According to a new ad campaign, it's now the "United States of Awesome Possibilities." Yeah, you read that right. In an attempt to rake in some much-needed money for our country, the U.S. government is trying to increase tourism in the States.

The government's already hired the Corporation for Travel Promotion (CTP) to get the job done and given them a marketing budget of $200 million. So, what have they come up with so far? "The United States of Awesome Possibilities" of course -- and this cutting-edge logo.

Yeah, we're not that impressed either. But, according to a press release, the corporation says this new logo creates a "21st-century brand" and that it "symboliz[es] the boundless possibilities of the U.S." Oh yeah, and the tiny dots that make up "U.S.A" are a symbol for America's diversity. Duh.

But CTP is adamant that their ad campaign is fitting for the U.S.A. "What is so compelling about the United States is that no one thing can explain who we are as a nation," CTP's Chris Perkins said in a statement. "Each visitor and each experience helps create the fabric of American culture, and Brand USA embodies this spirit."

What do you think about America's brand new slogan? Is it as awesome as it says it is in the title -- or pretty darn awful?

• Maestro Caecilius XIV 2013/11/01 02:02:32
    Awesome
    Maestro Caecilius XIV
    It's not bad at all but definitely not worth the cost at all. So price aside, pretty good looking.
  • Nick P 2012/06/20 05:56:30
  • chyna 2011/12/21 02:01:53
    Awful
    chyna
    +1
    the old one is more profesional and the new one is kinda childish >:(
  • Walt Corman 2011/12/20 02:01:03
    Awful
    Walt Corman
    Leave it to Obama and his crew of clowns to come up with $200 million for something as stupid as this. Meanwhile, my son and his wife are both sucking down as much money to stay home and play video games as they would make working if the government spent our money on something that would truly create some jobs instead of extending unemployment over and over again. As far as this insanely ridiculous "Awesome Possibilities" advertisement goes, somebody is probably giving their cousin or brother-in-law a gravy job at our expense. I think if a school mate made up a name this hideous as a class project I would kick their ass, and I never was a bully. It's just that bad of an idea.
  • shindogg 2011/12/08 04:31:36
    Awful
    shindogg
    this is terrible! theres already too many immigrants in america as it is and this is only encouragin aliens to come to our country. we need to discourage people from comin here not interest them in comin.
  • MrSexyPants 2011/12/06 05:50:37
    Awful
    MrSexyPants
    i'm all fine with us being cocky and concieted "united states of awesome" but idk i think we need to BE more "awesome" if we're gonna promote it...
  • zebsmom 2011/12/04 06:26:01 (edited)
    Awful
    zebsmom
    It's not awful, I just don't care for it. Sounds like the PC police have been at it again. From what I've found, we're about the only country who's so concerned about diversity. The rest of the world thinks we're idiots, so now they know for sure. There are so many ways to punch up our "brand image." This one doesn't work for me. [Yes, I do use the word awesome in conversation]
    And we spent how much taxpayer money on this???
  • Ego Death 2011/12/01 16:02:25
    Awesome
    Ego Death
    +1
    The title of "United States of Awesome Possibilities" is awesome in many ways as I think it reflects that the USA still has room to move and blossom.

Political context aside I think the slogan is amazing.

I thin mostly bi-coastal USA would identify with this.
  • gambitgarrison 2011/11/29 22:09:06
    Awful
    gambitgarrison
    Awful - just like the majority of our governments 'ideas'.
  • Joe McPlumber 2011/11/21 20:21:23
    Awful
    Joe McPlumber
    +1
    Dude! America's Da Bomb!
    da bomb
  • New Yorker 2011/11/21 19:30:34
    Awful
    New Yorker
    Tacky!
    Awful
    No, what was wrong with the other one.
  • Michael matos 2011/11/19 16:49:51
    Awful
    Michael matos
    LOL, I am so embarassed for My Country! These people who said that this proposed slogan is awesome are the same retards who voted for that embarassement in the White House. If this slogan is approved I am moving to another country, LOL
  • Vee 2011/11/19 10:56:37
    Awesome
    Vee
    +2
    And it would be if they'd get up off their butts and do something worth while for the people, instead of thinking of their own gains, by in side trading on stocks, etc: and stop wasting the tax payers money on worthless things that won't help the people or the united states.
    Like free trade to other countries, that takes our jobs away, and hand outs to other countries, when our's should come first. And those useless ilegals wars, that's wasted trillions of tax payers money.
  • Glenda Lough 2011/11/18 19:45:27
    Awful
    Glenda Lough
    +1
    I shouldn't need tosay anymore.
  • Samiam 2011/11/18 06:55:04
    Awful
    Samiam
    +2
    ...and there's another 200 million dollars of our tax money down the tubes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • brittany 2011/11/17 18:23:56
    Awful
    brittany
    +4
    i bet our forefathers are rolling around in their graves.....
  • Howard J Peters OD 2011/11/17 00:15:16
    Awful
    Howard J Peters OD
    +1
    The logo is Awful, It looks like it is all bullet holes, but the USA is AWESOME! When as a Brit I arrived here the very first time I was very very very etc., impressed, but once you have been here a long time, you get used to it! THIS COUNTRY HAS SO MUCH to OFFER, you just get used to it & possibly take it all for granted!
  • Elizabeth Campbell 2011/11/16 01:18:15
    Awful
    Elizabeth Campbell
    +1
    The American Judiciary is so rotten, so immoral, so corrupt...imagine the United States Supreme Court condoning the sending of porn and death thretas to a 10 yr old boy and his mother? See why Pennsylvania is just the tip?
    Elizabeth Juanita Campbell
  • longshot 2011/11/15 19:15:57
    Awful
    longshot
    +2
    I am not an advertising professional by any means of the imagination, however, given some time I believe I could come up with a more impressive ad campaign for our beloved country than some strange colored poke-a-dots spelling out USA. You've got to be kidding me. $200,000,000 for dots. Good spend feds I smell kick back.
  • zebsmom longshot 2011/12/04 06:27:50
    zebsmom
    Well said
  • Ginger 2011/11/15 18:24:23
    Awful
    Ginger
    +1
    Why in the world would we spend money on something like this. My son could have done something better when he was in Kindergarten. This smacks like something the Obamma's youngest daughter would come up with. Awesome!? Puleeze -- it's so yesterday.And to think, we actually paid good taxpayer money for this. You'd think Old Glory would be just fine.
  • Vee Ginger 2011/11/19 11:05:03
    Vee
    Obama didn't salute our flag at first or even wear a pin of it. Til people brought it out in the open about him not doing it. That should of told people that muslims don't respect our flag!
  • Walt Co... Vee 2011/12/20 02:04:40
    Walt Corman
    WTF? That would be "should have", not "should of", BUT, what the hell does anything you said so poorly have to do with anything about this topic?
  • dogs voice 2011/11/15 17:27:12
    Awful
    dogs voice
    +2
    What a waste of $200 million dollars!!! Figures it was an Obammy thing. Moron spends money like it is burning a hole in HIS pocket. Unfortunately it is not HIS money. With all the unemployment and other issues this moron has heaped on on, now he wants to open the country further for tourism? Hell, we can't even secure our borders from the influx of Mexicans entering illegally every day! Like I said; Waste of money!!
  • zebsmom dogs voice 2011/12/04 06:29:14
    zebsmom
    +1
    I like the idea of increasing tourism. For that to happen, we need to change our image with the rest of the world. I'm just not very happy with the results of their efforts.
  • dogs voice zebsmom 2011/12/06 23:17:42
    dogs voice
    Well his idea of CHANGE just ain't working. I'd like to CHANGE who we have in the White House in 2012! Vote NOBAMA in 2012! Pass it on!
  • zebsmom dogs voice 2011/12/07 02:03:46
    zebsmom
    +1
    That would be one way to stop looking like simpering idiots
  • dogs voice zebsmom 2011/12/07 10:41:34
    dogs voice
    +1
    Along with his idea of SOCIALISM, as represented by the OWS crowd, is ridiculous. You want to get ahead and live in a manner to which you would like to be accostomed to? Then take a lesson fromthe ant and grasshopper fable. YA GOTS TO WORK TO GET THERE! It will not be handed to you on a silver platter with that silver spoon in your mouth. I'm tired of those with hands out all the time rather than using them to do an honest day's work. Get off your lazy ass, put down the joint and the Colt 45 and find a job. Too bad if it's only minimum wage. Do what the rest of us have done and work your way up the ladder. Hope for the change in the White House and maybe the country can turn around from all the mistakes Omoron has made in the past 3.5 years! Let's get our own house inorder before we deal with those outside. Stop sending aid to countries that are non-friendly to us. The man is an idiot and needs to be removed from office - 3.5 yrs ago!
  • tornado 2011/11/15 16:56:59
    Awful
    tornado
    +2
    "Come to America and get cross eyed". Yeah that will bring the tourists in.. lol
    cross eyed Americans
  • danny_shadows 2011/11/15 16:38:46
    Awful
    danny_shadows
    +1
    hahaha....really?? WTF..They don't fool anyone
  • ♠Jen♠ BN - 0 2011/11/15 15:55:59
    Awful
    ♠Jen♠ BN - 0
    +4
    Our nation's going down the gutter and so they dub it "The United States of Awesome Possibilities?" Seriously? That's pathetic. Last I checked "awesome" and "United States" just don't go together anymore. Perhaps they could've gotten away with it about ten years ago, but not now. This is one of those WTF moments...

WTF bear
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2011/11/15 15:40:44
    Awesome
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    This is a private corporation and has nothing to do with President Obama. The Conservatives have been DUPED again.

http://www.migrationexpert.co...
  • ThinkAb... Che Gue... 2011/11/15 16:05:11
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +2
    You really are screwed up.....quit embarrassing yourself. I hope someday you will crawl out from under that black shell and discover what a fool you've been. I mean that in a positive way.
  • Che Gue... ThinkAb... 2011/11/15 16:14:10
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Ah, another Christian In Name Only (C.I.N.O.) SH is full of them. People like yourself are the reason people are leaving the church in droves.
  • Walt Co... Che Gue... 2011/12/20 02:40:19
    Walt Corman
    As I suspected, someone has poisoned your mind with hate and intolerance. Check some figures. In reality, people are not leaving churches in droves, but church attendance is on a steady uprise. You can't argue with facts - unless you choose to be ignorant to the facts.
  • Che Gue... Walt Co... 2011/12/20 05:23:25
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Well then post a link to you "facts". I won't be holding my breath.
  • Walt Co... Che Gue... 2011/12/20 02:37:00
    Walt Corman
    Hey commie. Perhaps you missed the part that said the Government ante was $200 million. The Givernment paid this "private" company $200 million to come up with this piece of crap. Stop trying to pass that off, blame this ever guilty "Conservatives" who you say were duped, and then educate yourself a little bit. Your hero murdered tens of thousands of people by torturing them, putting them in firing squads, imprisoning them, etc. He didn't kill people in any battles because he "feared war". He was a chicken who became popular in the sixties when hippies (I was one) were looking to wear "cool" images on their tee shirts. Most knew nothing about him, and to this day that is still true. Heads full of mush (I was one) are easily molded into whatever outside influences want them to become, and grasp on to whatever everyone else is grasping. I'm betting that describes you. If your hero is purposely chosen because he is a murderer, then I feel sorry for your parents, people around you, and you. And by the way, since Obama IS the government, and that's who provided the $200 million, then it is you who has been duped. Enjoy bliss.
  • Che Gue... Walt Co... 2011/12/20 05:29:00
    Che Guevara - Hero
    If I were you I would sue Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh for turning you into a buffoon.

Che and a group of revolutionaries overthrew the Military Dictatorship of Batista, who was installed and supported by the US, US Corporations, and the Mafia. He went on to help other countries do the same. He was hunted down and killed in Bolivia by a CIA trained hit squad with CIA personnel present.

But the story doesn't end there. Because of people like Che Guevara, the US lost its grip on Latin America and most of the countries that once had dictators now have Social Democracies.

Some day if you should ever decide to study "grown up" history you might be worth having a serious discussion with.
  • susan 2011/11/15 15:37:33
    Awful
    susan
    +3
    Waste of money, but it probably paid off another donor, and put money in the pockets of someone who will kick back to Obama and whoever else helped get the contract.

2014/10/24 07:13:49