America – One Nation Under God

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/10/10 20:31:27
Agree. America is a Christian nation.
Disagree. America is not a Christian nation.
Our political discourse today is full of comments to the effect that the Framers of the Constitution wanted, and made, a secular government.

None of those people actually read what the Founders, the Framers, and those who came after them, really had to say.

The Declaration of Independence mentions God at least four times: "the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them", "endowed by their Creator," "appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world," and "protection of Divine Providence."

Thomas Jefferson had more to say, all positive, about God apart from his Declaration.

John Adams reminded us that the Constitution is for a moral and religious people.

Senator Daniel Webster said that good Christians make good citizens.

And that's not all. For more, click through to the article.

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/10/10...

• Telly Samba 2012/10/10 21:45:05
    Telly Samba
    +34
    Had the Founders intended the United States to be a christian nation they would have specified that fact in the Constitution. Why didn't they? Why did they bar all laws “respecting an establishment of religion” and protect “the free exercise thereof.”in the First Amendment? If they were crafting a christian nation, they really sucked at it.

Furthermore, why would the Constitution of a christian nation contain Article VI which bans any religious test to hold office. This means that people of any faith, or lack thereof, were just as eligible to hold public office as christians. Now why would they do that if it were a christian nation? They would have at least banned pagans or muslims, wouldn't they? Our Constitution reads, specifically, "No religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." Not a sentence that any self respecting christian nation would even consider including in their founding document.

Maybe someone can explain to me why, in 1874, our Congress shot down an attempt to amend the Constitution in order to make the U.S. an officially christian nation. When the House Judiciary committee shot it down they expressed their objection to putting “anything into the Constitution or frame of government which mig...

Maybe someone can explain to me why, in 1874, our Congress shot down an attempt to amend the Constitution in order to make the U.S. an officially christian nation. When the House Judiciary committee shot it down they expressed their objection to putting “anything into the Constitution or frame of government which might be construed to be a reference to any religious creed or doctrine.” Again, not something any christian nation would do. Repeatedly. As recently as 1965 similar attempts at amending the Constitution have been rejected. Why? It's simple. America is NOT a christian nation.

If you can still believe that America is a christian nation you're just simple minded.

• oldcavpilot 2012/11/18 15:20:48
    oldcavpilot
    'Under God' was added to 'The Pledge of Allegiance' in 1954 to discriminate between us and the hated communists.

Washington, Jefferson and quite a few other of our founding fathers were 'Deists'; they believed in God, but not organized religion, because the 'books' were all written by man, no matter which religion.

This country is not permitted to recognize a religion; or lack thereof. Read the Constitution.
  • Heffeweizen 2012/11/18 06:18:06
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    At least it was founded that way. I think our current mess is caused for the most part by pushing God out of the conversation and the constant drift away from common decency.
  • Jane Heffewe... 2012/11/18 13:33:58
    Jane
    I know many christians that have NO common decency. Your argument has no relevance.
  • Heffewe... Jane 2012/11/19 09:50:18
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    Must have stung a bit for you to have replied to an "irrelevant" argument.
  • Phoenix 2012/11/18 04:48:28
    Phoenix
    Does it specify a Christian god or is it a more generic term? I thought it was quite secular.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/11/18 04:30:43
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +2
    "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

~ Thomas Jefferson

http://www.monticello.org/sit...
  • nails 2012/11/18 04:24:25
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    nails
    +1
    Anything contrary you here is coming from subversives, who don't like the truth.
  • john richardson 2012/10/26 01:03:50
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    john richardson
    +2
    We have no choice because we are remnants of a lost tribe of Israel ,we are connected in ways we can't even Imagin
  • Carol 2012/10/23 15:03:12
    Carol
    +2
    The founders of this country wanted religion out of government.
  • Jane Carol 2012/11/18 13:35:32
    Jane
    +1
    Yes, even though most of them were christian they saw the evil in a religious government.
  • Carol Jane 2012/11/18 18:03:26
    Carol
    Thanks Jane
  • Dave 2012/10/14 04:38:42
    Dave
    +5
    How is it that this poll has over an hundred people agreeing with this being a christian nation? That's crazy talk! Has anyone heard of separation of church and state?

lol What I like is that the agreeing people probably are voting for the man in the magical underwear.
  • elvira Dave 2012/10/14 16:34:03
    elvira
    +2
    Yes, I've heard of separation of church and state. Took courses in it many moons ago. It is never good to allow a religion to govern people or the government to make laws prohibiting or interfering with a religion. Religion is between man/woman & his/her God,

– Virtually all of our Founding Fathers were Christians of various denominations; thus, the United States of America is considered a Christian nation..

I appreciate your opinion. Who sells the magical underwear. LOL
  • Marie-Jacqueline 2012/10/13 19:12:15
    Marie-Jacqueline
  • rich 2012/10/13 11:30:10 (edited)
    rich
    +3
    Never has been, never will be, and pushing or expecting it is insane and in itself, UnChristianlike and against God, who is benevolent and all inclusive! God has nothing to do with Christianity -- which is like all religions a human cultural interpretation of what they believe to be God, basically, their OPINION, and many religions worship and follow their messages/opinions from God. Christians have no "claim" or "ownership" of God, not in definition, nor assignment of behavior. That's just sheer arrogance! Therefore, unless there is some universally accepted definition of what and how God operates, preferably blazen down from the stars into the foreheads and Third Eyes of every being on the planet, there is no "one God" to put a nation under, for the purposes of writing some "man" made documents and policies. Short of the "blazen down" theory and therefore action, people would have to all agree on such a definition, and that and a subway token will get us to the Bronx!
  • A Lionheart 2012/10/13 04:19:58
    A Lionheart
    +4
    Treaty of Tripoli. Yes it's that simple.
  • kfallslady 2012/10/13 02:01:51
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    kfallslady
    +1
    In God We Trust all others take a hike
  • Dave kfallslady 2012/10/14 04:39:23
    Dave
    +1
    GOD! NOT Jesus! Jesus - what is wrong with you?
  • kfallslady Dave 2012/10/16 01:59:34
    kfallslady
    +1
    I meant I trust in God and Jesus, all others that don't believe, nor don't love the U.S.A. take a hike love it or leave it...
  • Dave kfallslady 2012/10/18 05:28:41
    Dave
    +1
    That's a lie.
  • Temlako... Dave 2012/10/19 00:41:43
    +2
    That's actually a command. A command cannot be a lie. Only a statement can be a lie.
  • Dave Temlako... 2012/10/19 04:30:58
    Dave
    Thanks lol
  • kfallslady Dave 2012/10/19 01:52:59
    kfallslady
    well you believe what you want and I will have my beliefs, sece you sthink I'm lying you get lost.. my last response to you
  • Captain-Morgan 2012/10/13 01:28:27
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    Captain-Morgan
  • elvira 2012/10/13 00:30:08
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    elvira
    +1
    It is a Christian nation. It is also a nation of many religions.
  • Dave elvira 2012/10/14 04:41:17
    Dave
    Elvira - I like that you aren't a sissy like Keeper by blocking me. So here is something you can explain to me - why would you call is a christian nation?
  • keeper 2012/10/12 20:18:23
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    keeper
    +2
    In God We Trust!
  • LadyBGood 2012/10/12 19:06:35
    Agree. America is a Christian nation.
    LadyBGood
    +4
    The Founders identified themselves as Christians. In 1776, every European American, with the exception of about 2,500 Jews, identified himself or herself as a Christian. Moreover, approximately 98 percent of the colonists were Protestants, with the remaining 1.9 percent being Roman Catholics.

All of the Founders were devout, orthodox Christians who consciously drew from their religious convictions to answer most political questions...and were fond of peppering their speeches with Christian ideals.

"I am a real Christian – that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ."
    --The Writings of Thomas Jefferson

Roger Sherman
    Signer of the Declaration of Independence and United States Constitution

"I believe that there is one only living and true God, existing in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, the same in substance equal in power and glory.............."
  • Dave LadyBGood 2012/10/14 04:41:51
    Dave
    +1
    Sorry - your info is way off base. Where'd you get this information?
  • LadyBGood Dave 2012/10/17 02:09:45
    LadyBGood
    +1
    LOL of course you'd say so! Look it up...I did.
  • lovemykiddos 2012/10/12 02:34:28
    lovemykiddos
    +1
    This is interesting, I think that the founders would support christianity however I do believe they also would be against forcing a religion upon a person or wanting America to be a Christian community.
  • Dave lovemyk... 2012/10/14 04:42:26
    Dave
    +1
    That means we aren't a christian nation.
  • Andy1909 2012/10/12 00:45:33
    Andy1909
    +1
    If it was the word "God" would not cause problems. Prayer in schools.
  • Kiwi Fruit 2012/10/12 00:20:58
    Kiwi Fruit
    +1
    Define "Christian nation". If you mean how many Christians there are in the United States, then yes, it would be considered a "Christian nation". However, if you mean whether or not laws and policies should be made based on exclusively Christian principles and ethics at the expense of other belief systems and religions, then no, America is not and should not be a "Christian nation".
  • us Kiwi Fruit 2012/10/13 00:26:55
    us
    +1
    America is a christian nation it is what it was founded on, I don't want to see America turn her back on jesus, We need to believe in Jesus.
  • Dave us 2012/10/14 04:43:59
    Dave
    +1
    lol - most of the founders were NOT christians. And the USA turned it's back on Jesus a long time ago.
  • Kiwi Fruit Dave 2012/10/14 12:43:38 (edited)
    Kiwi Fruit
    +1
    I think it is said that the founding fathers were really deists. A deist is someone who believes in one omnipotent god - God - but does not really specify which god it is, and this god does not really affect the natural world in any particular way. Deism arose from the Enlightenment, which also launched the scientific revolution and a new way of thinking. The founding fathers may or may not be devout Christians, but at least it's clear they are raised as Christians by Christian parents. People were much more religious than they are now.

Also, I wouldn't say that USA has "turned its back on Jesus a long time ago". Rather, I would say that Christian principles and beliefs have always influenced American culture and society, seeing that America has a disproportionate number of Christians. In fact, it was actually the movements within Christianity in America that led to the many social controversies we have today. See Fundamentalist vs. Modernist controversy in the 1920s-30s, primarily religious controversy that has a lasting impact on America. Unfortunately today, Christianity has received a negative image, but I think much of that is unwarranted.
  • Dave Kiwi Fruit 2012/10/15 04:14:59
    Dave
    All I know - I don't think Jesus would be lovin' on the USA very much looking at it's history.
  • us Dave 2012/10/14 22:39:45
    us
    thanks for writing back, why do you say that, I believe there alot of people who believe in jesus
  • Dave us 2012/10/15 04:15:31
    Dave
    But we do not act like a "christian" nation.

2014/11/23 13:35:33