Always the ugly lefties. Minister defends decision to greet Rupert Murdoch. WHY THE HELL SHOULD HE HAVE TO DEFEND IT?

★Calliope★ 2012/08/05 23:58:33

WHY THE HELL SHOULD HE HAVE TO DEFEND IT?

---------------------------------------------------
Minister defends decision to greet Rupert Murdoch

Published - Aug 05 2012 05:46PM EST

Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — A top British official insists he was simply being polite by greeting media tycoon Rupert Murdoch at the Olympic Aquatics Center after being criticism from opposition lawmakers.

Jeremy Hunt, responsible for both Britain's media and the Olympics, faced questions over his links to Murdoch's News Corp. when he gave evidence in May to the U.K's media ethics inquiry.

The minister acknowledged he had been too close, but denied showing any bias toward Murdoch as he ruled on the media mogul's planned takeover of a British television channel.

Hunt was filmed Friday warmly greeting Murdoch and chatting for several minutes.

"He came over to see me. He knows me, and when someone does that you shake their hand, you have to be courteous and polite," Hunt told BBC television on Sunday.

----------------------
Why should anyone have to defend themselves against this crap?

Why would a news agency frame the story in this way?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick to death of this kind of rhetoric.

Freaking lefties are crying, whinging babies. Having to justify polite actions. Is it that lefties wouldn't know polite if it bit them in the ass? Never mind.. rhetorical question.

Bunch of pandering nonsense.

Read More: http://www.rr.com/sports/topic/article/rr/2090/731...

• Red 2012/08/06 04:37:31
  • ★Calliope★ Red 2012/08/07 07:56:37
    ★Calliope★
    And Rupert Murdoch fits that bill? Nothing in his actions or demeanor suggests to me, he is so ugly a person as to be unacceptable.

I'd not shake with the likes of Ahmadinejad or some other choice folks, but in diplomacy? As a public official in public capacity? In real life when someone is NOT a criminal? When someone isn't a thief or killer? I can't stand Obama but if I were still in uniform I would salute him, as personally galling as I would find that.

Why does he have to defend his actions? It makes no sense.
  • Red ★Calliope★ 2012/08/07 16:36:51
  • ★Calliope★ Red 2012/08/08 03:41:18
    ★Calliope★
    A tabloid? That's what they do. ALL of them. It's not specific to Murdoch.

I simply can't get my knickers in a snarl over a tabloid. That's what the courts are for. Those papers by definition are hugely open to libel and other suits because they all use underhanded tactics to get the sensational story. I try to eschew that kind of 'journalism'. Hell, Red, I eschew a whole bunch of media because of it.

I simply cannot condemn Murdoch for doing what they ALL do. It's not like he penned a directive to employees to spy and cheat and steal. Sure, the buck stops with him, but it's like that in any litigation.

And I do understand the feelings about Obama. I despise him. Probably just as much as he hates me, a conservative leaning, small government, kind of libertarian that thinks he needs a new freaking job.
  • Red ★Calliope★ 2012/08/08 05:26:39
  • ★Calliope★ Red 2012/08/08 07:19:57
    ★Calliope★
    I get it. I certainly do get the bit of 'free speech'.

There are a whole lot of stories as such. It's not that I disagree per se, it's typical. Murdoch is no different than any CEO. He owns the stuff. He doesn't write the stuff. He doesn't get the stories. Folks that work there do. They crossed a whole lot of lines. THEY should be held accountable. Murdoch didn't perpetrate the crimes. His employees did. He should probably be held to more strict policing policies but to say Murdoch is the perp is overkill.

To hold him accountable, you'd have to be willing to do the same when any scandal broke regarding a hacking or incident. Or spying incident. It happens.

"Hackers targeted the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit and published the files, including some personal messages, on the internet.
    Among the most damaging is one which appears to suggest using a ‘trick’ to massage years of temperature data to ‘hide the decline’." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

Another bit of hacking -
    "...A group of hackers who refer to themselves as Hollywood Leaks have been breaking into celebs' cell phones and email accounts, and exposing photos, phone numbers, and other info online!
    Some of the celebrities who have been targeted thus far include Footloose' Julianne Hou...

Another bit of hacking -
    Some of the celebrities who have been targeted thus far include Footloose' Julianne Hough, Joey Fatone, Ashley Greene, and Kreayshawn, which we already heard about.
    Hollywood Leaks EVEN went after Tom Cruise, and they released the screenplay for his next movie Rock of Ages!
    Unfortunately, this hacking group isn't JUST after celebrities - they have an anti-semitic agenda:
    "Attention Hollywood. We are Anonymous. We have been watching you. We have been listening to you. You have been allowed to run free too long. The time of Jew control media is over."..." http://perezhilton.com/2011-0...

Let's not forget the Tea Party scandal - which wasn't walked back -
    "...Brian Ross is not the only blameworthy party in the irresponsible smear of a 52 year-old Tea Party activist as the possible perpetrator of the Aurora, Colorado theater massacre early Friday. Everyone on the set of ABC's Good Morning America could have said "wait, this is premature and irresponsible" -- and didn't. ..." http://newsbusters.org/media-...

Newsday falsified circulation data to entice more advertisers. One more scandal. Now that's a corporate head problem. More than likely the CEO was the guy behind that little scandal. "... Its daily circulation was overstated by 40,000 copies and its Sunday circulation was overstated by 60,000. A Spanish-language sister paper was inflated by 15,000 daily and 4,000 on Sunday. The Tribune company is setting aside as much as $95 million to settle with advertisers who were deceived. ..."

"...olumnist Harold Meyerson has written two columns referring to Republicans as McCarthyites for criticizing John Kerry, the Democratic Party, or its major funder, George Soros. Meyerson was particularly angry that House Speaker Hastert had said he didn’t know if Soros was using drug money to finance anti-Bush campaign commercials. Meyerson’s defense of Soros ignored how the billionaire invested some of his money in the narco-state of Colombia during a time when the drug cartels were taking over the major banks, and how Soros runs an unregulated hedge-fund for the super-rich in the Netherlands Antilles, a known center of money laundering. Soros denies any wrong-doing or ties to drug cartels. ..."

There are so many more - some oldies but goodies. All of 'em ugly. All of them infringe upon free speech.
  • Red ★Calliope★ 2012/08/08 07:22:35
  • ★Calliope★ Red 2012/08/08 10:50:59
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    That's the truth of the matter, Red.

Agreed.
  • Devil's Advocate 2012/08/06 00:46:26
    Devil's Advocate
    +1
    The reasons Mr Hunt has to explain this as are follows-

1) He was put in charge of reviewing Murdochs takeover bid for BSkyB. He decided not to refer it to the Competition Commission (who would have blocked the deal because what Murdoch was aiming for was essential monopoly over news outlets) and it has emerged that he is a close Murdoch ally who was lobbying (as has been shown by his texts and e-mails) for the deal from within the cabinet. This is nothing to do with whinging lefties hating Murdoch and anyone who associates with him, it is to do with conflict of interest and a cabinet minister being a de facto lobbyist for an organisation he has quasi-judicial control over.
    2) There is a lot of political pressure on allies of News International in the UK right now after it was revealed the Murdoch press were routinely breaking the law in their investigation of stories by hacking peoples phone calls and e-mails. Several editors, executives and journalists of his newspapers have been arrested and are facing jail time. There is a full-scale judicial review into it going on a at present that has dominated the news over here for months.

This is not a small matter.
  • ★Calliope★ Devil's... 2012/08/06 01:41:36
    ★Calliope★
    I KNOW the context.

It still is ridiculous. OH... I guess politics always trumps good manners. At least with lefties.
  • Striker 2012/08/06 00:00:47
    Striker
    +2
    Isn't everything today "Attack and Defend", and lie about it anyway?
  • ★Calliope★ Striker 2012/08/06 00:04:19
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    It gets so old, Striker. Good Lord are the LIB police everywhere? Why should anyone have to be in the position to constantly defend themselves.

No pleasing folks.

2014/08/31 04:34:22