Alleged Colorado Shooter Is Charged With 24 Counts of First-Degree Murder: Should He Get the Death Penalty?

AdriHead 2012/07/30 18:00:00
James Holmes, the alleged Colorado gunman who killed 12 people and injured nearly 60 others, has formally been charged in court. The 24-year-old former post-doctorate student was charged with 142 offenses, including 24 counts of first-degree murder and 116 counts of attempted murder.

If convicted, Holmes could spend the rest of his life in jail -- or even get the death penalty, though prosecutor haven't yet revealed if they'll be seeking capital punishment on this case. Do you think the death penalty is appropriate for the alleged shooter?

ONLINE.WSJ.COM reports:
Colorado prosecutors charged former doctorate student James Holmes with 142 offenses, including 24 counts of first-degree murder, in the shooting at an Aurora movie theater.
142 offenses 24 counts first-degree murder shooting aurora movie theater

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100008723963904444...

• Grammar... Maiko 2012/08/01 18:33:48
    Grammar Freak
    Thank you.
  • ELVIS I... Grammar... 2012/08/01 23:06:13
    ELVIS IS KING
    +1
    amen grammar
  • Grammar... ELVIS I... 2012/08/02 03:58:53
    Grammar Freak
    Thanks.
  • ELVIS I... Grammar... 2012/10/03 15:22:03
    ELVIS IS KING
    amen
  • ELVIS I... lyss 2012/08/01 23:05:02
    ELVIS IS KING
    WHAT THE HELL DO YIOU THINK THIS GUY JUST DID LYSS,HE GAVE ALL THOSE PEOPLE THE DEATH PENALTY AND MANY OTHERS EITHER PARALYZED MAMED AND FAMILIES LIVES RUINED..I PRAy this doesn't ever happen to someone you love,would you hold his hand and forgive him!!
  • lyss ELVIS I... 2012/08/05 00:20:06
    lyss
    My brother did this when i was at the doctors bc i left it on he just wanted to get me hate and thts what he did. My bro believes he should get treatment..tho i disagree with the death penalty i myself think this man deserves it so dont insult me or yell if u dnt no the whole story...ill find a way 2 delete the comment which ive been trying 2 do since i realized he commented(which was when i saw the happenings 2 mins ago :/)...
  • Quazimoto 2012/08/01 15:24:08
    Quazimoto
    +2
    The sooner the better.
  • Todd_I 2012/08/01 14:51:07
    Todd_I
    +2
    I can't imagine any other punishment to fit his crime.
  • 4570GOVT 2012/08/01 14:50:43
    4570GOVT
    +1
    Yes he should !
  • Eliot 2012/08/01 14:34:45
    Eliot
    +1
    It's either that or life imprisonment, and frankly what good is prison for someone clearly insane. He is in too deep already
  • Tommy 2 shoes 2012/08/01 14:34:36
    Tommy 2 shoes
    +1
    So should helpers, He didn't do this all alone, at least 2 or 3 helped him in this act
  • Drug Free 2012/08/01 14:22:37 (edited)
    Drug Free
    +2
    He is a mad dog, rabid as hell..put him down as soon as possible.
    That is what they would have said and done 100 years a go or more but now the earths population is more civilised.
    The people who are directly affected by the killings may want him put to death for what he did but the justice system will make him suffer his sins by keeping him in a prison that will make his life miserable for the rest of his days.
    That and they will study him trying to figure out just what the hell is going on in "some" peoples minds....which is a good thing if it helps to understand the tell tale signs that lead people to commit such terrible acts of aggression.
    What to do with the people that lose control and murder many others???
    It would not have been so easy for him to kill all those people if there were not so many guns around and or such easy access to all the available firearms in the USA.
    A sad state of affairs.
  • 4570GOVT Drug Free 2012/08/01 14:53:37
    4570GOVT
    " IF " he gets Life , he will be murdered in prison ( like others before him ) .
  • Grammar... 4570GOVT 2012/08/01 17:20:45
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    Doubtful.
    If he is considered unfit for the death penalty it will be based on mental instability which could very well land him in a psych facility. No one will likely touch him there.
  • 4570GOVT Grammar... 2012/08/01 23:19:58 (edited)
    4570GOVT
    DAMN ! ................. I was hoping he would wind up like Dahmer .
  • Grammar... 4570GOVT 2012/08/02 10:22:47
    Grammar Freak
    One can't say for certain what the courts will decide.
    I've read on here that Colorado is not very easy to use a "mentally unstable" or other psych diagnosis to get out of a full trial with capital punishment taken off the table. I haven't checked it (basically because I'm going to wait to see what they actually do... reputation or hear-say isn't useful in this situation).

It will be interesting to see if they put him general population if they do sentence him to "life" instead of death... or even how they have him housed in the jail. Is he amongst the other jailbirds?

I would venture that the State has pretty much made up its mind already & is considering its conviction & sentencing options. There isn't much to dispute at this point. He doesn't seem interested in disputing anything anyway. He looks pretty out of it more than anything.
  • Maiko 4570GOVT 2012/08/01 18:35:45
    Maiko
    +2
    No he will not. He will be kept in PC (protective custody) for his sentence. The only way he could possibly be killed, is if they slip him out into GP (General Population) or they allow him trustee status to where he is allowed to do work around the prison. He could end up like Jeffery Dahmer. But the chances of that happening are pretty much nil.
  • 4570GOVT Maiko 2012/08/01 23:20:57
    4570GOVT
    +1
    DAMN !
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/01 17:19:50
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    I do not think that today's society is more "civilized" & I believe that it is far more humane (which is part of being civilized) to end an animal's or man's misery when they are too ill to function anymore. This man fits that bill &, in my opinion, it is far more civilized/humane to euthanize him quickly & painlessly... for him & for the rest of the world (particularly the people of Colorado).
  • Drug Free Grammar... 2012/08/07 15:20:45
    Drug Free
    You have a point there ..but if it was one of your loved ones ( your son for example) you may not be so quick to defend your own way of thinking.
    In a court of law everything humanly possible has to be taken into consideration before they make judgement and sentencing.
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/08 12:07:25
    Grammar Freak
    Really?
    You think so?
    Even court officials are only human.
    There is no one in that state who doesn't know what happened. No one doesn't already have an opinion. The court will simply hear more background information & perhaps hear his rationale for his actions. But, I have a pretty good idea that the judge & jury have pretty much already made up their mind(s) (even though they haven't even been chosen yet) & whatever extra information they get will just make them nod their heads, maybe wipe their eyes a bit, before they hang him.
    I could be wrong, of course, but I'm pretty freakin' sure.
  • Drug Free Grammar... 2012/08/08 12:19:36
    Drug Free
    I think he will get life in prison with no parole.....no need to kill him.
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/08 12:26:01
    Grammar Freak
    Personally, I hope you're wrong.
    I believe life would be torture & I'm against torture... especially by The State.
  • Drug Free Grammar... 2012/08/08 14:03:05 (edited)
    Drug Free
    Well, either way he is going to pay for his actions.
    If he is put in prison he will suffer in numerous ways.
    If they give him the death penalty he will be mentally tormented until his day of death comes and then....nothing...no more torment.
    Which is worse??? To suffer torment for the rest of your life or end all feelings and emotions by predetermined death???
    Which is more suitable to appease the citizens??
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/08 15:13:20
    Grammar Freak
    End his life as soon as possible.
    ...for his sake as well as for the sake of the general citizenry (for LOADS of reasons).
  • Drug Free Grammar... 2012/08/09 14:57:02
    Drug Free
    So you should also be put to death by verdict if you also perpetrated murder??
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/09 18:14:16
    Grammar Freak
    In which state is capital punishment classified as murder?
    hrmmm... since capital punishment is sanctioned & performed by The State, it isn't ever legally considered murder.
    So, your funny little question is just that... funny... & ridiculously moot.
  • Drug Free Grammar... 2012/08/10 13:00:21 (edited)
    Drug Free
    What is your point???......you not making sense now.
    If YOU murder someone then your saying that YOU should just be put to death..just like that..and that is what your advocating when you previously said:

End his life as soon as possible.

This verdict would and should apply to you also if and when YOU murdered someone or killed someone or did anything the same or similar to what the Colorado shooter did???
    Your willing to agree to your own death penalty by way of your own predetermined verdict???
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/11 17:13:53
    Grammar Freak
    Silly.
    Silly.
    Silly.

Taking the life of a man who mowed down 70 people is not murder. It's protecting the rest of the population & relieving a very sick man of his pain.
  • Drug Free Grammar... 2012/08/12 02:29:25
    Drug Free
    I never said taking his life by way of death penalty verdict was murder...you said that.
    I had said:
    "So you should also be put to death by verdict if you also perpetrated murder"??

You still have not addressed the issue.

Should it be you in the hot seat then your predetermined verdict should apply to you also...correct???
    You vote for the death penalty so if by chance in the future it was YOU who killed several people then no need for a trial....just be put to death by predetermined verdict.
    Be carefull what you vote for.
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/12 16:30:44
  • Drug Free Grammar... 2012/08/13 00:59:48 (edited)
    Drug Free
    I do not disagree because in this case it is obvious so many people adamantly believe in an eye for an eye type of justice.
    On the other hand many people do not believe in capital punishment.
    So in the end .....who do the courts represent.
    The family of the defendant are more than likely not in favor of capital punishment even knowing all the facts.
    Most states have abolished capital punishment while only a few still practice capital punishment.

I am not a hypocrite also ...but we are all hypocritical in some ways and aspects throughout life as being hypocritical is nearly impossible to avoid.
  • Grammar... Drug Free 2012/08/13 09:49:26
    Grammar Freak
    It isn't about revenge (an eye for an eye).
    It's about euthanizing an irreversibly sick individual. He is suffering. He has caused large numbers of others to suffer as well. He is no longer of any positive use.

It isn't about revenge... those who want revenge want to see him suffer more/longer. I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in putting him out of his misery (& ours).

I'm not interested in discussing it further with you because I seem to have to repeat myself over & over due to your lack of believing me... or something.
  • Soulja12389 2012/08/01 13:30:46 (edited)
    Soulja12389
    No he should get some help and figure out what went wrong cuz before all of this he was in school getting his PhD in neurology and had a picture perfect family so something must have made do this or he could have thinking about it his whole life(only24) and was just waiting for the right time that's why he needs some serious
    Help
    This is the criminal justice system not the victims revenge system
  • Grammar... Soulja1... 2012/08/01 17:23:23
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Yeah, find out what went wrong & then put a bullet in his brain.
    Regardless of why, he's lost. He is of no more use to this world.
    He is very very sick & we euthanize sick animals out of being humane. Why would we keep a man in a cage for decades & consider that somehow more humane?

No... if you want to know what went wrong, fine. Find out. Then euthanize him.
    ...& you can pay for finding out what went wrong, because, frankly, I don't care. It simply doesn't matter. There is no reversal. What's done is done.
    Now he needs to be put to rest.
  • ELVIS I... Soulja1... 2012/08/01 23:08:18
    ELVIS IS KING
    HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING AND PLANNED THIS OUT, HE'S NOT INSANE,ENOUGH OF THE PITY PARTY FOR KILLERS,HOW ABOUT SOM COMPASSION FOR THE VICTIMS..
  • Soulja1... ELVIS I... 2012/08/02 13:23:23 (edited)
    Soulja12389
    I have compassion for the victims and I'm sorry for their families and friends but he was smart and knew this was wrong and myself and I'm sure many other Americans would like to know 1. Was he mentally insane? 2. Had he been insane his whole life? 3.If he was (or even wasn't!) Insane What the hell made him do this??? He had all that school
    work to do, when did he even have time to plan this??
  • Grammar... Soulja1... 2012/08/08 12:39:16
    Grammar Freak
    He dropped out of his graduate studies in Neuroscience in June. He bought the guns within the last six months. He'd been planning the act for a long time.
    Whether or not he's insane is moot. He no longer has a function on this planet. He cannot breed. He cannot walk free. He cannot be kept alive simply because it will make his mother cry to kill him. That's unfortunate. But his mother is going to have to accept that something in this young man, her son, snapped & there is no bringing him back to anywhere near "normal." He is forever lost. He will only suffer & be further tortured in prison for several decades. Keeping him alive is only The State torturing him further.
    We have mercy on animals.
    What is wrong with having the same mercy on a man? Are animals to be valued higher than men?
  • Buffalobill91 2012/08/01 13:29:00
    Buffalobill91
    +2
    I would say so....

but how in the hell is he being charged with 24 courts of 1st degree murder when only 12 people died....

I think the headline is wrong.

either way---1 or 1000--- still doesnt change the fact that I think he should be put to death.
  • Nikki +... Buffalo... 2012/08/02 00:21:23
    Nikki +In God We Trust+
    The dual charges "murder with deliberation" and killing with "extreme indifference to the value of human life" give the jury a choice of two avenues to a potential death penalty sentence under Colorado law.

2014/07/25 03:44:25