After Record Sales, Chevy Volt Production Will Resume One Week Early

ProudProgressive 2012/04/04 13:50:24
More bad news for the Make America Fail crowd, I'm afraid. Despite the concerted efforts of the conservatives to root against American innovation and ingenuity, the Chevy Volt survives. It seems that the American public would prefer to have a more affordable, more economical, American made car than to simply oppose anything the President supports simply because the President supports it. The Volt is far from a perfect car, but it is a step in the right direction. People who care about America should applaud the progress Detroit has made and not continue to waste their time and ours by once again hoping Americans will fail.

Article excerpt follows:

Carl Franzen
April 3, 2012

Buoyed by record monthly sales of its Chevy Volt hybrid electric plug-in car in March, General Motors will resume production of the Volt at the Detroit Hamtramck plant one week early, the United Auto Workers told TPM on Tuesday night.

“They’re adding a week of production back in,” said Don LaForest, the chairman of the UAW’s bargaining committee at the Detroit Hamtramck plant, where the Volt is manufactured, in a phone interview.

GM in early March startled observers by announcing a temporary hold on Volt production scheduled for five weeks, from March 19 to April 23, during which time employees would be temporarily laid-off but receive SUB pay.

At the time, GM and the UAW told TPM that hold was “totally normal,” and put in place to “re-align” supply of the Volt with demand, following sluggish sales in January at just 603 units.

But now, thanks to the GM’s news on Monday that the Volt sold a record 2,289 units in March, employees will be coming back to work a week early.

“We received note of it yesterday,” LaForest added, “It was widely rumored that GM would put a week back onto the schedule, but now it’s confirmed. It’s very good news.”

“Anybody who’s been in a Volt knows it’s not a boondoggle, they know it’s for real,” LaForest told TPM. “I don’t think Newt or Mitt have said a single negative thing about the Nissan Leaf,” (the Volt’s Japanese competitor).

“They’re attacking our car to get at the President,” LaForest told TPM. “But our car is going to change the way America does business. It’s a breath of fresh air.”

Read More: http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/gm-wi...

• Jane 2012/04/05 15:54:07
    Jane
    Go Volt, my husband loves his.
  • Larry 2012/04/04 19:26:09 (edited)
    Larry
    +1
    The government (under Carter) spurred ethanol and oil shale research and it has taken 20-30 years but look where it (and government auto mph requirements ) has gotten us - below 50% demand for foreign oil. The electric car, this time around, is only in its infancy but in 20 years we'll be thankful our taxes helped subsidize it also.
  • Singerar 2012/04/04 18:44:21
    Singerar
    Yeah....go Volt!
    GOTTA BE A PLOWED IN THE EARTH PIECE OF MANURE TO BUY THAT CAR.
  • twocrows jackola... 2012/04/04 20:42:32
    twocrows
    **yawn** jackolantyrn weighed in against something Obama supports BECAUSE Obama supports it.

quelle surprise.
  • Jane jackola... 2012/04/05 15:53:22
    Jane
    +1
    We own a Volt and it is a great car, why would you say such a thing????
  • bob 2012/04/04 15:10:00
    bob
    +2
    Good for Chevy, GM and the USA
  • darcie lamar 2012/04/04 14:47:30
  • ProudPr... darcie ... 2012/04/04 15:37:34
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    Not bad. Actually the daily operating cost of a Volt is less than a third the daily cost of a comparable gas-only vehicle.
  • Singerar ProudPr... 2012/04/04 18:35:56
    Singerar
    Sure is...and runs clean
  • Reichstolz 2012/04/04 14:42:25
    Reichstolz
    +2
    The increase in sales is 1 car sold per dealership, hardly burning the barn down. Also versus prior year that additional 1 car costs the AMERICAN TAX PAYER and additional $2,500 per vehicle. Just to increase interest, the subsidy on this Edsel is $10,000 per vehicle taken from the pay check of every tax paying citizen to subsidize a car, no one but those who don't need the subsidy, want. How pathetically low your accomplishments must be that you have to promote this as a success story. By the way GM is retooling the plant the Dolt is made in to produce the Malibu. When asked why GM officials do not expect Dolt sales to rise in the short term.
  • keymanjim 2012/04/04 13:57:19
    keymanjim
    +2
    Were they sold to the public or just sold to the dealerships and kept, unwanted, in their stock?

That's how the game is played, kiddies. Being "sold" does not necessarily mean that the public is buying them.
  • BHS1983 keymanjim 2012/04/04 14:01:23
    BHS1983
    +1
    How many of those who say they are a good thing are running out to buy one. That would show they truly believe in them.
  • keymanjim BHS1983 2012/04/04 14:08:35
    keymanjim
    I remember the last days of Daewoo selling their cars under their own name in the US. At the end they selling them buy one get one free.
    Daewoo now manufactures for other car companies to be sold under their names. The Chevy Aveo is a Daewoo. So is the Suzuki Forenza. And a few others.
  • BHS1983 keymanjim 2012/04/04 14:10:12
    BHS1983
    +1
    How many of those calling the Volt a "breath of fresh air" are buying them.
  • keymanjim BHS1983 2012/04/04 14:19:13
    keymanjim
    +1
    I don't know. I guess we have to look to see how many are registered to private owners and how many are registered to various government agencies. And still, how many were forced onto the dealerships to make it look like they selling.
  • ProudPr... BHS1983 2012/04/04 14:21:23
    ProudProgressive
    People don't run out to buy a new car every time a new model comes out. They buy a new car when they can no longer use the old one. I like the Volt, but my current car is in good shape and I hopefully won't need to buy a new car for a few years.
  • BHS1983 ProudPr... 2012/04/04 14:24:23 (edited)
    BHS1983
    If they truly believed in the cause and expected others to agree with it you would. I work in a business that deals with sprinkler systems in single family residences. Because I believe they are a good things, I set the example and installed one in my house. That's talking the talks AND walking the walk. You, on the other hand, simply talk the talk. Start walking.
  • ProudPr... BHS1983 2012/04/04 15:38:49
    ProudProgressive
    Did you rip out a functioning existing sprinkler system as soon as you started dealing with these sprinklers?
  • BHS1983 ProudPr... 2012/04/04 15:42:16
    BHS1983
    There wasn't an existing one. Unlike you, when I promote something, I use it. I don't expect others to do what I won't do. As far as problems since it's been installed, haven't had any.
  • ProudPr... BHS1983 2012/04/04 15:46:07
    ProudProgressive
    I'm glad you have a wonderful sprinkler system. But the fact that you didn't have a sprinkler system before kind of eviscerates your argument. You're suggesting that the fact that people don't immediately give up the car they have, even if it's in perfect condition, to buy a Volt somehow demonstrates hypocrisy or at least a lack of actual support for the idea of the Volt. If you had ripped out an existing perfectly adequate sprinkler system to install a new one I'd be impressed.
  • BHS1983 ProudPr... 2012/04/04 15:50:18
    BHS1983
    Sprinkler systems of that type in single family residences are a rather new concept in the whole scheme of things.

I'd be impressed with you if you would actually do yourself what you think others should do. I did. You haven't.
  • Singerar BHS1983 2012/04/04 18:40:01
    Singerar
    How much is a sprinkler system in a single family residence?
  • Reichstolz ProudPr... 2012/04/04 14:44:12
    Reichstolz
    Tell that to Ford when they launch a new Mustang.
  • ProudPr... keymanjim 2012/04/04 14:20:11
    ProudProgressive
    It appears that they are talking about showroom sales - that is, sales to the general public.

"The Volt -- a month after GM temporarily shuttered production of the car -- reached sales of 2,289 in March, 50% higher than December 2011, which previously was the vehicle's best month since launch. More importantly, only 160 of the purchases were by fleet buyers, while 2,129 Volts were purchased by retail car buyers. The fleet buying was only 5% of Volt sales."

http://www.thestreet.com/stor...
  • keymanjim ProudPr... 2012/04/04 15:28:26
    keymanjim
    Not a very good showing.
  • ProudPr... keymanjim 2012/04/04 15:39:07
    ProudProgressive
    It's a start.
  • keymanjim ProudPr... 2012/04/04 15:41:22
    keymanjim
    Tell that to Daewoo.
  • ProudPr... keymanjim 2012/04/04 15:46:48
    ProudProgressive
    So the fact that one auto company didn't have success with its product means that no auto company can ever have success with any product?
  • keymanjim ProudPr... 2012/04/04 15:59:48
    keymanjim
    You said it yourself. People don't buy new cars because they are new. And most people can't afford new cars these days. Especially ones with such a high price tag.
    What we need is alternatives that will work with existing vehicles. Done properly, algae based biofuels can do that.
    Imagine this. A coal fed power plant producing electricity. The exhaust is filtered through algae photobioreactors to absorb the CO2. The algae is siphoned off and squeezed for it's lipids which are refined into gas that can be used in existing vehicles without modifications.
    And, the stuff that is left over can be sold for animal feed or fertilizer.
    THAT is the path we need to be taking. Since I know Chevy isn't going to produce an electric truck that can haul 1000 pounds 300 miles on one charge and can be charged in less than 10 minutes.
  • Singerar ProudPr... 2012/04/04 18:55:18
    Singerar
    PP, unfortunately these are the poo-poo people. They do not care about the viable green energy we've already created. They are still sucking on the gas pipe the Conservatives are so reliant on. Breaking the chains of Middle Eastern Oil is going to be hard. I just don't get the ignorance over science.

2014/08/23 13:41:04