After Obamacare ruling, conservative group announces $9 million campaign against it. Sore Loser?

Sinpac 2012/06/29 21:48:42

In response to the Supreme Court ruling upholding President Barack Obama's health care law, Americans for Prosperity, a conservative advocacy group, announced plans on Friday to spend $9 million on a campaign against the law.

The project includes a new ad
that will run in media markets in a dozen swing states, and focuses on
the president's insistence that the federal mandate to purchase health
insurance is not a "tax." On Thursday, the Supreme Court ruled that the
provision is constitutional only if it's considered a tax, although the
White House continues to refer to it as a "penalty."

The ad advocates for the repeal
of the law and calls it "one of the largest tax increases in history," a
line sure to be repeated on the presidential campaign trail.

"Obama's health care law is
actually one of the largest tax increases in history," a female narrator
says in the ad. "Shouldn't President Obama's priorities have been
creating jobs and ending reckless spending?"

Charles and David Koch,
billionaires who donate heavily to political causes, are the founders of
the group paying for the campaign, and the group has spent several
million dollars already this year on anti-Obama issue ads.

• ehrhornp 2012/06/30 00:03:40
    ehrhornp
    +4
    The only thing phony conservatives do is to bitch. They couldn't live if they didn't have something to bitch about. Shame they didn't bitch about republican throwing past leaders under the bus and blowing a balanced federal budget. What hypocrites.

+1
    Yep a bunch of crybabies
  • santa6642 2012/06/30 03:42:52
    santa6642
    God bless them as obamanacare is a obomination.
  • Cat 1017 2012/06/30 02:33:28
    Cat 1017
    +1
    Definitely sore lossers...They cried about the constitutionaly of the HCR was in question before....Now that the chief justice has proven thats not a valid question....they are angry because he didn't take their fake assertion as a rule....They claimed that they would agree with thSCOTUS, but ONLY if they agree with them...What a buch of whiny babies...They should be crying foul about selling the vote to the highest briber, accepting foreign funds to pay for a campaign, about the lack of interest in creating jobs...But NNNOOOOOoo!!!!..this BS about Affordable healthcare for all......LOL...what a bunch of whiny babies.....What the babies gonna do , if these GOP do all the crying?...
  • Idiot repubs 2012/06/30 01:19:33
    Idiot repubs
    +3
    A day late and $9,000,000 short.
  • Sinpac Idiot r... 2012/06/30 01:43:55
    Sinpac
    +3
    lol going to repel in July so it can die in the Senate. What a waste of the taxpayers money
  • Cat 1017 Sinpac 2012/06/30 02:34:30
    Cat 1017
    +2
    Hhahahahaha...thats what you guys claimed with this vote...LOL...not gonna happen....
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/30 00:03:40
    ehrhornp
    +4
  • ChristianOnly 2012/06/29 23:22:32
    ChristianOnly
    So utilizing the democratic process to attempt to have a law repealed that one does not agree with is being a "sore loser?" It seems to me to be quite reasonable and proper.
  • Sinpac Christi... 2012/06/29 23:26:18
    Sinpac
    +2
    How about the other half who want it? Do they matter?
  • Christi... Sinpac 2012/06/29 23:42:14
    ChristianOnly
    Sure they matter, but no more than those who oppose the law. This nation has had many federal laws repealed.
  • Cat 1017 Christi... 2012/06/30 02:38:08
    Cat 1017
    +2
    This one isn't going to be repealed...
  • Christi... Cat 1017 2012/07/03 04:19:39
    ChristianOnly
    Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean the Republicans are wrong for trying to repeal it. Nor does it make them "sore losers" as the OP stated.
  • Cat 1017 Christi... 2012/07/03 15:05:20
    Cat 1017
    +1
    They should try to perfect it for thier constiuents and not JUST follow lockstep...On Politico it says ONLY 30% want it completely repealed the others either want it perfected or left as is...It makes them sore losers cause they are willing to disregard the needs of the 70% because of partisanshp...and the tax BS won't fly , prior to that their reason was because it was unconstitutional, now cause the penalty is called a tax....Whats the next load of shyt are they going to land on, JUST to try and repeal it cause President Obama got the reform passed....These people are pathetic....
  • Christi... Cat 1017 2012/07/03 15:12:47
    ChristianOnly
    You are entitled to your opinion however there is no good reason to accept your opinion as anything more than the partisan crap that you seem to think only occurs on the right. It is my opinion that it is liberals who for the most part are pathetic.
  • Cat 1017 Christi... 2012/07/03 15:18:13
    Cat 1017
    +1
    I don't care whether you accept my opinion or not...This was from a conservative site...last week...No, I know partisanship occurs across the board, but when it interfers with the need of the sick, children and elderly...THAT pisses me off.....and you too are entitled to your opinion....But when it comes to compassion for the people, the GOP has none, unless they are the wealthy or corporation that are NOW considered people...
  • Christi... Cat 1017 2012/07/03 15:27:13
    ChristianOnly
    Really? I live in a city of over 2 million people. Nine of the top ten philanthropists in my city are Republicans. Thousands of meals in just the past year were provided for by one single Republican. I work with the sick, the poor, the homeless and those in prison. I know where the money comes from. I'm often the one asking for it. I've never been turned away by a Republican. Many Democrats including many wealthy legislators have refused to even see me.
  • Idiot r... Christi... 2012/06/30 13:47:36
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    The law is constitutional, it's not getting repealed.

The birthers have a new delusion it appears.
  • Sinpac Idiot r... 2012/06/30 14:56:32
    Sinpac
    +1
    They will help repel it if they are using Corporation money. You ask John Q Republican for some cash and your cause will die
  • Cat 1017 Sinpac 2012/07/03 15:06:04
    Cat 1017
    +1
    They are already repelling it...But they won't repeal it...
  • Christi... Idiot r... 2012/07/03 04:22:59
    ChristianOnly
    Laws that are constitutional can and have been repealed. That's not even an issue when it comes to repealing a law unless the law was made an amendment to the Constitution. I don't know if this one will be repealed or not, I'm not making any predictions I'm simply making the point that using legal and accepted means of attempting to repeal a law is an appropriate act, and does not make one a "sore loser".
  • Idiot r... Christi... 2012/07/03 12:02:43 (edited)
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    Good luck getting 60 senators using "die citizens" as a platform.
  • Christi... Idiot r... 2012/07/03 13:56:37
    ChristianOnly
    There is the possibility according to NBC news that it can be repealed with a simple majority through "reconciliation". As for "die citizens" that's simply not true. Many conservatives, including me have long called for health care reform.
  • Cat 1017 Sinpac 2012/06/30 02:36:26 (edited)
    Cat 1017
    +1
    It isn't half...I just read the stats on a conservative site...Only 30% want it repealed entirely...SO what are they talkin about....70% want just a few modifications to it.....Single pay....
  • Sinpac Cat 1017 2012/06/30 02:42:40
    Sinpac
    +1
    Cool. I hope it can all get worked out.
  • Cat 1017 Sinpac 2012/06/30 03:22:38 (edited)
    Cat 1017
    +2
    So do I...I hate it when so many have no coverage and it can easily be resolved...I lived in Europe in the early 80's....They had a wonderful system...Every sick person could get help and they all paid it single pay...I have never understood the resistance to this...Everyone that worked paid an amount based on thier income....It was wonderful to see this....Then when I came home and saw people losing homes cause of an illness, I was applalled at this...
  • Sinpac Cat 1017 2012/06/30 14:57:10
    Sinpac
    +1
    more crazy talk from the right
  • Cat 1017 Sinpac 2012/07/03 15:07:20
    Cat 1017
    +1
    This was a conservative site...and Yes the cons are angry and crazy...
  • ehrhornp Christi... 2012/06/30 00:04:34
    ehrhornp
    +2
    Maybe not a sore loser, more like a very ignorant loser.
  • Christi... ehrhornp 2012/06/30 00:08:33
    ChristianOnly
    You are entitled to your opinion of course but I'm curious as to why you believe them to be ignorant? What is it you believe them to be ignorant of?
  • ehrhornp Christi... 2012/06/30 00:15:08
    ehrhornp
    +3
    Statements about high taxes for example. During the development of this law the penalties were constantly reduced due to the push of liberals in government. On top of that the liberals did not like the idea of a mandate so they took all the teeth out of it. There is no mechanism in it to enforce any penalty.

Then there is this that I received from my congresswoman:

Since President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law two years ago, it has made a difference in the lives of Hawaii’s families and seniors.

Nearly 25,000 people on Medicare have saved over $14.5 million in prescription drug costs.
    More than 200,000 people helped control long-term health costs by gaining preventive health service coverage.
    Parents have been able to keep an estimated 6,000 young adults in Hawaii on their plans until age 26.

Now who and why would anyone be against this?

No one has explained why Nixon was so wrong in proposing this 40 years ago.
  • Christi... ehrhornp 2012/06/30 00:23:58
    ChristianOnly
    To begin with I don't know that your claims or the claims of your Congressman are true. I don't accept anything at face value especially when it comes from a politician. I don't know that they are false either.

I can still understand why people would oppose higher costs to themselves especially if they don't benefit from those higher costs. I can also understand why people would oppose any additional government involvement in their daily lives. I'm not claiming to agree with them, but I don't assume they are ignorant simply because they disagree with my POV. I could never be that arrogant.
  • ehrhornp Christi... 2012/06/30 00:30:45
    ehrhornp
    +2
    I just responded to your question from you asking why I think people who are opposed are ignorant. I gave you a few reasons. You can try to disprove it especially the first one but I think you will have just a bit of a problem. Rachel built her case over a number of days and most people do not realize the truth behind the mandate.

Well the costs are not that high and sorry but I have no sympathy for them. Everyone should have healthcare and even if it is expensive, it should be obtained. Sure beats becoming a vegetable and sponging off society for many years.

Government involvement? Just telling people to get health care. I don't consider that unreasonable.
  • Christi... ehrhornp 2012/07/03 04:35:22
    ChristianOnly
    "Well the costs are not that high and sorry but I have no sympathy for them. Everyone should have healthcare and even if it is expensive, it should be obtained"

Let me give you an example, one of many millions in this country. This is a true situation. A 48 year old woman has a husband that must be cared for 24 hours a day. He cannot be left alone as he is a danger to himself. The husband has SSDI to pay for his medical needs and the monthly income is his $725.00 per month SSDI payment. She has no insurance. She cannot work as she must be home with her husband around the clock. The least expensive garbage policy she could get a quote for was $525.00 per month. She cannot qualify for medicaid as medicaid has a "work' and "job search" requirement in the state in which she lives. According to the "How will Affordable Healthcare Affect You" website put out by the Obama Administration she is one who will be penalized for not carrying insurance. Now according to you who has no sympathy for these people tell me how this woman is supposed to pay for the tax or the penalty or get healthcare under the PPACA?

I think they have a pretty good reason to be against having to pay a penalty for not being able to purchase something they cannot afford. And this case is not unique. I know virtually scores of similar situations.
  • ehrhornp Christi... 2012/07/03 18:42:14
    ehrhornp
    There are exceptions in the law which would cover such examples. But thanks for pointing out why single payer universal health insurance is the way to go. Hopefully you have written the president and your representatives telling them so?
  • BigFig#9 Christi... 2012/06/30 02:52:25
    BigFig#9
    +1
    They've got their right but it's no real attempt to pass legislation, it's just grandstanding---and that's just about all the GOP is interested in or for that matter able to do.
  • Christi... BigFig#9 2012/07/03 04:36:54
    ChristianOnly
    I don't know the reason for what they are trying to do and I won't pretend to. I have a very strong tendency to distrust any politician. I appreciate that you see my point.
  • Seriously Folks 2012/06/29 23:16:06
    Seriously Folks
    +3
    Why don't they take that money and make sure People have good Dental Care and pay for some it. Frontline on PBS has a very damaging Report on the Poor Dental Health of Children, which was disgraceful and the Adults are worst off.
  • Sinpac Serious... 2012/06/29 23:26:40
    Sinpac
    +1
    Good point SF
  • Christi... Serious... 2012/06/29 23:45:38
    ChristianOnly
    You do realize don't you that every child that lives under 200% (185% in some States) of the poverty level qualifies for Medicaid which includes dental care? This by the way existed before the PPACA.
  • Serious... Christi... 2012/06/30 19:24:56
    Seriously Folks
    Yes, but now you have Republican Governors saying they will not Honor, enforce, or expand even after it is the Law of the Land.

What is your answer to that.

2014/04/24 03:03:21