Adult children living at home? is it the economy?

justagudguy~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/18 14:33:57
its the economy
the kids are lazy
40% of non-student adults 18-39 living (or recently lived) at home

Various agencies and surveys tend to present the numbers
differently, but they all convey the same message: More and more adult
children are living at home. This is one statistic I find especially
significant: According to a poll for the National Endowment for
Financial Education conducted by Harris Interactive, 40% of American
adults aged 18 – 39 either live at home or have done so in the recent
past. That’s a shocking figure, partly because it goes all the way up to
age 39, and partly because it specifically excludes students.

The same survey finds that adult children are having a financial
impact on their parents, which is no surprise. What’s scary is that 26%
of the parents with adult children living at home have taken on debt to
support their kids, and 7% have delayed retirement.

Do you know someone that has to do this because of these tough economic times?

• politicaljunkie 2011/12/18 18:09:37
    its the economy
    politicaljunkie
    +12
    Our 22yr old still lives with us. He went to work full time, interning with his dad as a plumber's apprentice when we could no longer afford our one employee. With out him we would have lost both our businesses and possibly our home. As a family we are trying to hang on to what we have left in this economy.

• autumnfae 2012/01/01 16:56:56
    its the economy
    autumnfae
    +3
    I think it depends on the situation ... I know some people still live at home because they are too lazy to do what they need to do to support themselves ... and then I know people who are giving it all they have and the opportunities are just not pulling through ... esp. if they have young children its a tough world out there atm
  • mike j 2011/12/26 17:44:33 (edited)
    mike j
    +1
    I think a large part of young peoples tendency to stay at home with the parents has several reasons , (one) is the lack of self disipline , (two) is they have had all sorts of self esteem coaching but no coaching on how to go out on their own and forge ahead with a life, (three) they have been taught to not think for themselves (and some of them do and get slapped down hard for it.) , a higher authority will do their "thinking and allowing" , Thus the young person has no real confidence in self thinking and thus no ability to face a world and deal with the rewards and pitfalls of adult living . Self confidence was replaced with self esteem, but self esteem does little for a persons confidence in themself to work thru lifes good days and setbacks, confidence is the ability to face off problems and get back up when the chips get down, self esteem just gives you foolish ideas that you look good even though everyone else thinks you are an idiot. This self esteem stuff gives a young person this idea that they should be hired ,in a job, as President of the Company , when where they may really need to start is in the janitor department and work their way up. (there is nothing dishonorable about being a janitor, it is an honest job for honest pay) This self esteem business has thrown ...
    I think a large part of young peoples tendency to stay at home with the parents has several reasons , (one) is the lack of self disipline , (two) is they have had all sorts of self esteem coaching but no coaching on how to go out on their own and forge ahead with a life, (three) they have been taught to not think for themselves (and some of them do and get slapped down hard for it.) , a higher authority will do their "thinking and allowing" , Thus the young person has no real confidence in self thinking and thus no ability to face a world and deal with the rewards and pitfalls of adult living . Self confidence was replaced with self esteem, but self esteem does little for a persons confidence in themself to work thru lifes good days and setbacks, confidence is the ability to face off problems and get back up when the chips get down, self esteem just gives you foolish ideas that you look good even though everyone else thinks you are an idiot. This self esteem stuff gives a young person this idea that they should be hired ,in a job, as President of the Company , when where they may really need to start is in the janitor department and work their way up. (there is nothing dishonorable about being a janitor, it is an honest job for honest pay) This self esteem business has thrown them a curve ball and when they are not hired for a top position that they have not proven worthy of at this time , after 2 or 3 rejections at job aplications the youngsters self esteem begins to wane and there is no self confidence there to back him up and say take the entry level job now , and prove to the company over time that i deserve more. You take a young man or woman and give them no core to work from and it does not take many rejections from a real world to set them on their mental butts. Good luck and fortune to all young people in the New Year , but guys and gals you need to shuck that esteem stuff and get real , get real with yourself , and realize we cant all be big rock stars and NFL quarterbacks , some of all of us are going to have to sing "Working for a Living" to get a start in life. Good Luck ,Good Life and Best Wishes for a safe , happy and prosperous New Year 2012...
  • justagu... mike j 2011/12/28 23:03:39
  • Pat 2011/12/23 05:50:43
    its the economy
    +2
    A lot of it is the economy but some of it may be that they just aren't ready to get married or go out on their own. It's an expensive proposition and in this economy it's not a viable thing for many young people.
  • justagu... Pat 2011/12/24 22:01:31
  • Mikel_mad2002 2011/12/22 23:00:31
    Mikel_mad2002
    +2
    Probably a combination of both
  • justagu... Mikel_m... 2011/12/24 22:01:46
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2011/12/22 20:22:04
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    I'm sure every case is different. I think one contributing factor is the desire for parents to be their kids' best friends instead of their parents. I see this a lot and it does nobody a good service. But I am reluctant to paint all adult children living at home as slugs. Someday, the parents may turn the tables and be living in their kids' homes.
  • justagu... FeedFwd... 2011/12/24 22:02:10
  • redneck 2011/12/22 01:08:30 (edited)
    its the economy
    redneck
    +2
    lazy kids or a bad economy lazy kids or a bad economy

Yes the economy is bad,good jobs may be a thing of the past,as long as we have idiots running our government !!!
  • justagu... redneck 2011/12/22 04:51:42
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/21 20:27:58
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Obama said this past year more than once unemployment would be the new norm BUT That doesnt mean people get to stop trying to make their own money on their own backs. I mean since when does someone have to work for someone else to bring in money. There is no mandate anywhere stating that is how it has to be done. It might not be all that easy but it beats having no money to speak of at this point.
  • justagu... mg's ha... 2011/12/22 04:53:13
  • wicked soda boy 2011/12/21 19:41:41
    wicked soda boy
    +1
    Both answers are partly correct, plus the Democrat Party has redefined the meaning of "children" to include 26 year olds, which most sane people would classify as adults.
  • justagu... wicked ... 2011/12/22 04:54:29
  • sharebear817 2011/12/21 18:47:42
    sharebear817
    +2
    Im 30 and I still live at home, because i cant afford to live by myself but i also dont want to live by myself
  • justagu... sharebe... 2011/12/22 04:55:07
  • sharebe... justagu... 2011/12/22 18:32:05
    sharebear817
    +1
    it is tough. and with what i make at work, it wouldnt work out. half my money goes to my car
  • justagu... sharebe... 2011/12/24 22:02:27
  • Heat Her 2011/12/21 16:48:48
    Heat Her
    +1
    I was raised to be a hard working woman. I supported my father financially from the time I was 17 to 23. He'd undergone brain surgery after his divorce and we both moved in with my grandmother until he was back on his feet (Took us about 2 years). However, I do know a spoiled rotten rich kid that's in his 30's and lives in daddy's house, driving daddy's car, and daddy pays his bills because he was raised to be a lazy mooch.
  • justagu... Heat Her 2011/12/22 04:56:01
  • Heat Her justagu... 2011/12/22 14:07:01
    Heat Her
    +1
    Absolutely, I went to work 72 hours a week when I was 18 to support my dad through his surgery and worked my way up to the top knowing I couldn't fail him. My secretary was a girl my age who's daddy bought her a saab and anything else she wanted. She didn't have any real life responsibilities and was a complete airhead.
  • GLaDOS 2011/12/21 13:16:56
    GLaDOS
    +3
    A little of both. There are situations where they can't find a job, there are situations where they don't try.
  • justagu... GLaDOS 2011/12/22 04:56:29
  • Merhabi Daham 2011/12/21 12:35:27
    its the economy
    Merhabi Daham
    +1
    I wish i could call them lazy bums, that makes everything easier. Unfortunately the economy is the cause in most cases, they don't have the money to support themselves so back to mom and dads place.
  • justagu... Merhabi... 2011/12/22 04:56:58
  • Merhabi... justagu... 2011/12/24 17:47:17
    Merhabi Daham
    +1
    I think i'd rather be a bum than go crawling back to MY parents though.
  • justagu... Merhabi... 2011/12/24 22:02:58
  • Redskin 2011/12/21 09:00:55
    its the economy
    Redskin
    +1
    A little bit o laziness sure,
    But It's almost impossible to get a job to support yourself on these days unless ya got connections
  • justagu... Redskin 2011/12/22 04:57:22
  • Redskin justagu... 2011/12/22 08:05:35
    Redskin
    +1
    Oh well . . .
    Have a Blessed Solstice then

blessed solstice
  • justagu... Redskin 2011/12/22 11:50:37
  • Spider20 2011/12/21 07:21:23
    Spider20
    +1
    That's at least a part of the reason....I see reports where recent grads can't find work, so they can't leave the nest...and then there are people like my neighbor's son....lost his job, can't find work, lost his house, moved back with mom....
  • Reggie☮ 2011/12/21 04:28:21
    Reggie☮
    +1
    I think most of it is due to the economy but some of it is just laziness.
  • doc moto 2011/12/21 04:25:36
    its the economy
    doc moto
    +2
    We have had our adult kids move in due to surgery, marital situations, child birth, business loses, etc...When you got kids, you help them, no matter what happens you just do. You have your family and you love them so you help out, what more can be said?
    We have kids from 37 to 47 and grandchildren from 2 to 26 and great grandchildren from 6 months to six years old...Life is great and this Christmas, we will have them all here! (twenty five of us) plus friends that would drop by! We have also had other (non-kin folk) families living with us, so yes, when it gets bad, you have company; kin and friends.
  • DocHoward doc moto 2011/12/21 17:24:35
    DocHoward
    +1
    Wonderfully large family, Happy Chanukah to you all!
  • doc moto DocHoward 2011/12/21 17:38:53
    doc moto
    +1
    Being a VET; both active/reserve and national guard and no I did not retire as for family reasons, I appreciate your wishes, I am reminded to pray for the younger ones that lost their minds, limbs, families and relationship that served our great country and Constitution and have this that grounds me when I think back of the many time that I should had been missing, crashed, chopped, and shipped DOA for what had transpired only to say that whomever and whatever failed and yes, I am thankful. Thankful to just watch my kin folks grow older with their families and friends and celebrate the seasons and knowing full the reasons for this celebratory gathering. Thank You Brother...I served with the USAF and had also got to US Army schools as well due to the area they wanted me in and of course when you are young and full of it, you go! We are living in an exciting time; very exciting! Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you and your family.
  • DocHoward doc moto 2011/12/21 18:58:09
    DocHoward
    BTW, I was active U.S.A.F. from 1963 to 1967.
  • doc moto DocHoward 2011/12/21 20:23:21
    doc moto
    +1
    Ah, when to school then active in 68...69 Hurricane and then SEA...
  • DocHoward doc moto 2011/12/22 16:50:38
    DocHoward
    +1
    Opposite for me, served 63 to 67 then went back to school.

2014/10/24 14:46:29