Actor R. Lee Ermey, Geico's drill-sergeant-therapist, says he was fired from commercial for criticizing Obama

paul 2012/08/27 13:47:51

"Full Metal Jacket" star and Geico's "Therapist Sarge" R. Lee Ermey said the insurance giant fired him from his commercial spot for speaking out against President Barack Obama, according to a report from TMZ.

Ermey played a former drill sergeant in the commercial, where he called a weeping man a "jackwagon" before throwing a box of tissues at the man in a hilarious and popular commercial for Geico.

But in 2010, Ermey slammed the president’s policies, saying his administration was attempting to "impose socialism" on the American people and, in the process, was "destroying the country," TMZ reports.

Shortly afterward, he apologized for making the comments, but not before Geico decided to give him the boot. He told TMZ that he was fired over the incident, adding "if you’re conservative in this town, you better watch out."

Ermey, a Marine Corps veteran, has also appeared in films like "Apocalypse Now," "Mississippi Burning," and "Leaving Las Vegas," as well as voicing characters in the "Toy Story" films and "Family Guy."

• Ronzo 2013/02/24 19:58:01
    Ronzo
    Hell that's freedom of Speech oh well I just watched a commercial of the basketball player Mutumbo running around acting like a Damn fool hitting in a store cereal making a mess, damn I get upset with parents that let their kids act like morons running yelling and being rude. The insurance company promoting this ill behavior makes me wonder how this company would handle serious issues of it customers. I say boycott them, don't support them, change the channel when their ignorant commercial comes on your TV. We can fight back for Lee Ermey and our selves, don't support those who teach our kids how to be out of control dumb asses and I guess Matumbo is that for sure for accepting this commercial. I think we put Geico in the same category as Hollywood, teaching our kids how to be disruptive and violent/aggressive. Hollywood thr regime put down gun ownerp yet they themselves have been quilty of greater humanity violations.
  • Kurt 2012/09/22 22:08:01
    Kurt
    Does this surprise anyone? Obama hates anyone that disagrees with and will use his stooges to silence he feels is a threat to him.
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/08/27 17:28:57
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +2
    I much preferred him over that irritating green pest. I'd boycott Geico for this discrimination against Mr. Ermey's rights but my insurance is with another company anyway.
  • sockpuppet Aqua Su... 2012/08/30 04:04:07 (edited)
    sockpuppet
    +1
    Exactly what I was thinking! We'll just have to be satisfied with thinking bad thoughts about them. :O)
  • munda 2012/08/27 15:22:14
  • paul munda 2012/08/27 15:58:44
    paul
    +3
    It's just another example of how Liberal Democrats do not respect our Constitutional rights.

2014/07/24 17:49:44