A victory for workers: Michigan becomes 24th state to adopt right-to-work law

☆astac☆~PWCM 2012/12/08 03:43:11

Michigan, home to the collapsed city of Detroit and one of the most powerful auto worker union states in the nation, is in a battle for the state's taxpayers - led by a governor and legislature that puts the state's welfare above re-election and political power.

Thursday, the Michigan House and Senate - both dominated by Republicans - chose to make Michigan a state where workers can choose whether or not they want to be union members. The movement was led by Republican Governor Ric Snyder.

Read More: http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2...

• Dan 2012/12/08 13:46:50
    Dan
    +13
    Maybe Michigan now has a chance to recover. Since the Parasite Unions have been de-fanged.

• Jazzyjimmy56 2012/12/15 08:23:47
    Jazzyjimmy56
    +1
    Way to go Michigan!!! You will only benefit from this action.
  • NECHOII Jazzyji... 2012/12/22 05:45:37
    NECHOII
    HA ! We shall see. How long is paid maternity leave in a Right to Work for less State ?!
  • Jazzyji... NECHOII 2012/12/22 18:06:19
    Jazzyjimmy56
    Maternity leave is covered under the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 it is at the discretion of every company if they choose to "pay" during maternity leave. Maternity is an individual decision and no one should have the right to demand "pay" from their employer. It cannot be considered a "right" under any circumstance. If it does, we move closer to a socialist/marxist way of life, if that is what you want, move to a country that operates those principles and leave us to the American way of life!
  • NECHOII Jazzyji... 2012/12/22 19:29:32
    NECHOII
    You must be a Manager. In Canada, Maternity leave is one year and the new mother gets 55% of her pay from her employer.
    Many European countries have similiar paid maternity plans. So, I would argue that American women are also derserving of year long maternity leaves as well.
  • NECHOII NECHOII 2012/12/22 19:30:36
    NECHOII
    TYPO : .....deserving of PAID year long maternity leave.......
  • Jazzyji... NECHOII 2012/12/24 16:25:46
    Jazzyjimmy56
    No, I am not a manager, I am a working middle class person. It's not a question of how much time someone gets for maternity leave, it's a question of who gets to determine how much time someone gets for maternity leave. Who has the right to say how much maternity leave is appropriate? When a person chooses to have a child, they have made that decision, knowing they will need time off. What gives them the right to demand "pay" for this time off? If you like how Europe does things, by all means, move there, no one is stopping you!
  • NECHOII Jazzyji... 2012/12/25 04:38:05
    NECHOII
    No, I live in Canada and as a " Progressive " I believe in trying to make an ordinary working person's life better through government lobbying by Unions and other activists.
    I make no apologies for that.
  • Jazzyji... NECHOII 2012/12/25 05:03:26
    Jazzyjimmy56
    Great! Please by all means stay where you're at and keep your liberal, progressive, negative, inept medical services, inadequate healthcare, preposterous taxes and all that go along with your so-called ideal system. Leave us alone, we Americans like our system just fine. What we don't like, are people like you who think the government knows more about what I need than I do, how lame! Life is about freedom and prosperity and being able to pursue dreams and realize that dedication and hard work will provide a prosperous and full life, without the help of any government!
    Individualism, and freedom of expression are cornerstones to a truly FREE nation, not one that is oppressed by a totalitarian dictatorial government, that has one goal in mind: GAIN MORE POWER and take more freedom.
    We abolished slavery and will not let it happen again. Every "RED-BLOODED" American will defend our way of life to the death, if necessary!
  • NECHOII Jazzyji... 2012/12/25 06:06:07
    NECHOII
    1. Our Universal Health Care system is not "inept" or "inadequate."
    2. Obviously there are many Americans who do not think " the system is just fine " as Barack Obama got re elected.
    3. You write about the value of freedom. Where is your freedom for an American to holiday in Cuba whenever he wants ?
    4. As incredible as it sounds to you, it is not just " red blooded " Americans who come up with good ideas.
  • Jazzyji... NECHOII 2012/12/25 06:23:27
    Jazzyjimmy56
    Really! I have two very close friends who are dual citizens of Canada and the United States. One was born and raised there. They have said on numerous occasions: "We have experienced medical care in Canada, and it's a joke" If you think the majority of Americans do not think the system is just fine, try comprehending the electoral college and how our system works. The president received 9 million fewer votes than he received in 2008. Only 20% of registered voters showed up to vote. 20% of registered voters does not make up a majority of the entire United States. The Cuban vacation is not relevant to our freedoms. I never said "red blooded Americans are the only ones who come up with good ideas, that was not implied either, you came up with that on your own.
  • NECHOII Jazzyji... 2012/12/25 08:14:34
    NECHOII
    My Canadian Universal Health Care system sure helped me when I was ill earlier this year.
    Are you going to tell me that your two friends are going to suggest the American private medical system works better - where over 50 million Americans have no medical insurance because they can't afford the monthly premiims and tens of millions more Americans are underinsured ?
    In regards to the voting - what you have told me is nothing new. Sadly many people do not bother to vote in many democratic countries.
    Yes, I think your Electoral system should be abolished and all candidates should win political office by direct popular vote. If that was the case Albert Gore would have beaten George Bush back in 2000.
    Are you kidding ?????!!!! The ability to vacation in Cuba and not be thrown in prison for doing so has EVERYTHING to do with FREEDOM !
  • joe keeney 2012/12/12 10:40:54
    joe keeney
    +1
    Most of it was head to China .
  • joe keeney 2012/12/11 12:16:33
    joe keeney
    +2
    Now the men in the park that Fiat fired for drugs & drinking and the union got them back. Will have more money for drugs & beer, they won't have to pay the union. And people ask why I drive Toyotas?
  • NECHOII joe keeney 2012/12/12 07:29:33
    NECHOII
    Being a DRUG ADDICT or an ALCOHOLIC is now recognized as a DISEASE. These WORKERS will be put into a COMPANY DRUG OR ALCOHOL TREATMENT PROGRAM. But if they " FALL OFF THE WAGON " they will be FIRED AGAIN and this time they will probably be gone for good.
  • Sheila 2012/12/10 15:09:54
    Sheila
    +2
    Might help MI not go completely belly up. Might be too late already.
  • Woof 2012/12/10 06:16:08
    Woof
    +3
    Congratulations to Michigan!!! Someone's thinking straight !!
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/12/10 05:15:39
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    Now, if they could just rid themselves of the black termite populations, things might be looking up.
  • NECHOII CUDDLY ... 2012/12/12 06:00:33
    NECHOII
    Was that a RACIST COMMENT ?!
  • CUDDLY ... NECHOII 2012/12/14 10:46:41
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    I dunno. You tell me with your victim mentality it shouldn't be too hard.
  • beavith1 2012/12/09 04:22:37
    beavith1
    +3
    Who'd have thought it was possible?
  • ☆astac☆... beavith1 2012/12/09 15:21:43
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +3
    It is a great sign when a state like MI, goes right to work
  • Rodney 2012/12/09 03:14:22
    Rodney
    +4
    Good for them. I live in a Right-To-Work state. It has helped immensely here. Wages are on the level of Union states, yet our cost of living is lower. I was a member of the Operating Engineers Union and received a wage equal to that of other states, bennies and retirement. The union in my case handled it all. The employer paid TO the union and it is up to the union to see that I am paid. Unlike other states where where unions are totally separated and the states or employers are on the hook. That is how it was supposed to be in the beginning, but over time, the unions only wanted money and no responsibility. Today, the employer or states have to handle all the bennies, retirement and such, the union bosses only collect their union dues cut and do NOTHING.
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/09 03:21:37
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    I hope it works out for the best. I worked for over 40 years as a union elevator journeyman until I retired.
  • Rodney JT For ... 2012/12/09 03:44:45
    Rodney
    +3
    Is it you I can blame for that damn music? LOL Seriously though, there once was a time when union were necessary and useful. Today however, they seem more out for themselves and furthering the "Collectivist" way.
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/09 03:47:56
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    LOL! Nope, can't blame me for the music, I installed the elevators it was up to the building owners to do that. Besides, they wouldn't like rock and roll. ;-)
  • NECHOII JT For ... 2012/12/09 20:50:17
    NECHOII
    +2
    I like EDDIE ARNOLD myself.
  • Rodney JT For ... 2012/12/10 02:14:38
    Rodney
    +2
    hahaha, you mean that stuff isn't programmed into every unit especially for elevators?
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/10 13:40:33
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    Not that I know of. LOL.
  • Rodney JT For ... 2012/12/11 02:56:28
    Rodney
    +2
    Hahaha, Not to age myself, but I can still remember riding on a few old units that still had operators and the rheostat type lever and opening the door to get you even with the floor.
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/11 03:09:57
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    Yep, I worked on them all the way to the computer elevators of today. Been retired for 6 going on 7 years now so I know a lot has changed since I left.
  • Rodney JT For ... 2012/12/11 03:57:53
    Rodney
    +2
    Those old ones were so cool. All that brass and the cages.
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/11 12:02:42
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    Yeah! I used to love to go to Hudson's Department store in Detroit with my mom when I was just a little kid, they had the most beautiful fronts and cages.
  • Rodney JT For ... 2012/12/11 22:43:33
    Rodney
    +2
    I grew up going to Portland, OR to see my Grandfather. Lots of great old building there that still used the old elevators and he had one in his apartment building.
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/11 23:33:47
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    That's cool!
  • Rodney JT For ... 2012/12/11 23:52:08
    Rodney
    +2
    Except us kids always got in trouble for playing in it. Hahaha
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/12 13:08:26
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    Most kids found them fascinating, and I still do.....LMAO!
  • Rodney JT For ... 2012/12/12 23:51:44
    Rodney
    +1
    I'm still a kid and still do. :>P
  • JT For ... Rodney 2012/12/13 03:07:15
    JT For Political Reform
    +1
    :-)...same here. Heh ..heh...heh
  • ☆astac☆... JT For ... 2012/12/09 15:23:44
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +2
    Not all unions are bad, but today a lot of unions are all about headcount alone. They do not care about the workers, or the jobs they are destroying.
  • JT For ... ☆astac☆... 2012/12/09 15:54:31
    JT For Political Reform
    +2
    I have a big problem with SEIU getting bussed into state after state when they do nothing but steal from people to do lip service for the left. I have a problem with Government employees unions who seem to always put the burden on the people instead of investing the dues money like the trade unions do so that the burden is on the accounts to invest and manage wisely. (When the population is decreasing, the money is not being put back in) Most of the trade unions other than the Carpenters were very well set up and made money when things went bad. The lowest my retirement funds went during the worst of times was 82% of it's value, many went below 50% sustainability.

2014/10/31 11:30:18