A victory for Illinois gun owners

Stryder 2012/12/11 19:48:51
Related Topics: Illinois, Gun, News

This is great news. Needless to say, I'll be one of the first in line to apply for a permit.

Federal court strikes down Illinois ban on carrying concealed weapons

Published December 11, 2012

Associated Press

A federal appeals court has struck down a ban on carrying concealed weapons in Illinois -- the only state where carrying concealed weapons is entirely illegal.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals announced Tuesday that state lawmakers have 180 days to write a new law that legalizes concealed carry.

The ruling is a victory for gun rights advocates, who argue that the prohibition against concealed weapons violates the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment and what they see as Americans' right to carry guns for self-defense.

Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office says it is reviewing the ruling and would comment Tuesday.

The ruling stems from a lawsuit filed by former corrections officer Michael Moore of Champaign, farmer Charles Hooks of Percy in southeastern Illinois and the Bellevue, Wash.-based Second Amendment Foundation.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/11/federal-court-stri...

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/11/federal...

• Chi~Cat 2012/12/11 19:54:07 (edited)
    Chi~Cat
    +21
    Better run faster than me! Woo hoo! Now, the tables will turn. Finally! After the march on Springfield last year, oh, let's not forget the freakin' hypocrites...they're scared chitless now. I can finally register mine. Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!! Suckers on Wabash better watch out...!!!!! Elated. GTFO of my neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!! Yes.

Too bad Lisa. You will lose your office real soon and your Daddy.

• memebev1 2012/12/14 15:54:42
    memebev1
    +1
    Great News.
  • Captain-Morgan 2012/12/14 04:14:34
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    ONE MORE BATTLE FOR FREEDOM AND THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS FOR AMERICANS...
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2012/12/13 01:38:39
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +2
    Wonderful news! :)
  • Professor Wizard 2012/12/12 20:36:24
    Professor Wizard
    Too bad it won't really make a difference... Illinois will probably just ignore the court ruling and continue to enforce the ban :: while they draft a new law to take it's place, probably more restrictive then the one that was ruled out.
  • lynn 2012/12/12 17:18:21
    lynn
    +5
    There was just another mall shooting in Oregon. Had ONE PERSON near the shooter been armed, he may very well have been taken out as soon as he took his first shot. The more lawful citizens present who might have been armed would only have increased the chance that the shooter would have been swiftly removed as a threat. How long is it going to take the anti-gun politicians to realise that the only thing gun control does is disarm the honest citizen (and make the general population open targets for the criminal element)? It really is a matter of common sense.
  • Profess... lynn 2012/12/12 20:39:58
    Professor Wizard
    +4
    Your statement shows the true problem.. "Common Sense".. is not so common, especially with the anti-gun people.

Don't go carting your weapon around in Illinois just yet though.. I'm thinking they will continue to enforce the current law, while they write a new one, with verbiage that may make it through court. NY, and Calif sort of skirted this issue, by allowing CCW Permits, and then making it so the common person can't get one.
  • lynn Profess... 2012/12/13 17:16:46
    lynn
    +2
    You're right, of course, in modern politics common sense is often viewed as something to be avoided at all costs.
  • santa6642 2012/12/12 15:50:56
    santa6642
    +2
    Again right wins
  • Profess... santa6642 2012/12/12 20:40:45
    Professor Wizard
    +3
    We won the skirmish.. but not the battle, and definitely not the war.
  • kevin.m.koop 2012/12/12 14:19:16
  • Ashley 2012/12/12 13:52:49
    Ashley
    +4
    They need to protect themselves.
  • hippycat 2012/12/12 13:18:33
    hippycat
    +1
    why on earth would you want to wear a concealed weapon? well, it's from Fox. you might be celebrating way too early....didn't they predict a win for Romney? LOL!
  • kevin.m... hippycat 2012/12/12 14:22:20
    kevin.m.koop
    +11
    Hippycat you might want to actually do you homework before giving a stupid uneducated opinion. It's a fact that cities with gun bans also have the highest violent crime rates! Chicago's idiotic gun ban has don nothing to curve violent crime in fact it the results have been the opposite!
  • hippycat kevin.m... 2012/12/12 14:36:32
    hippycat
    show me credible statistics (nothing from Fox or other dubious publications). here's a some info from the UK (taken from Wikipedia)
    In the United Kingdom firearms are tightly controlled by law, and while there is opposition to existing legislation from shooting organisations, there is little wider political debate, and no strong public opposition to control. The United Kingdom historically had one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world even before gun control legislation became stricter from the late twentieth century.[1] In The United Kingdom there are 0.22 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0, and for Germany 0.2.[2]
  • whitewu... hippycat 2012/12/12 14:41:55
  • hippycat whitewu... 2012/12/12 15:51:53
    hippycat
    +1
    ah, I understand. Black people carrying a gun = bad. white people carrying a gun = good. bit of a racist there, by any chance?
  • whitewu... hippycat 2012/12/12 16:31:01
  • ManBearPig hippycat 2012/12/12 17:51:09
    ManBearPig
    +1
    they did have some of the lowest gun rates due to the overall availability of guns in the country.... however theyre knife crimes are through the roof... and the police can only use batons in order to subdue any suspects
  • hippycat ManBearPig 2012/12/12 18:02:41
    hippycat
    no, they aren't. I live in the UK. get facts and stop posting BS.
  • ManBearPig hippycat 2012/12/12 18:14:23
    ManBearPig
    +2
    maybe not through the roof but by proportionate comparison between gun crimes in the US it is more common

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323
  • hippycat ManBearPig 2012/12/12 18:23:30
    hippycat
    lot less people die of it:
    numbers of crimes using knives last year (2010) have fallen 4.26% - total 'knife crimes' are recorded by police as 29259 which is 1301 less than 2009.

More statistics on knife crime:

Knife killings totalled 200 in 2010, three more than the 197 recorded in 2009. And behind that figure lies the tragedy of many people trying to re-build lives after losing loved ones.

Attempted murders using knives were shown to fall by 57 to 206, 22% less
    than the 263 recorded in 2009.

Now please tell me how this compares to the US?
  • ManBearPig hippycat 2012/12/12 18:25:28
    ManBearPig
    +3
    yeah a lot less people die from it however there is much less people in the UK so in order to claim crime rate is higher for which one you have to look at the proportions... if the UK had as many people as the US that number of knife crimes would be much much larger...

simple statistics
  • hippycat ManBearPig 2012/12/12 19:08:00
    hippycat
    please get real. google for yourself number of homicide victims UK vs US.
  • LadyBGood hippycat 2012/12/13 05:32:50
    LadyBGood
    Where did this info come from?
  • hippycat ManBearPig 2012/12/12 18:24:55
    hippycat
    That guy is a well-known right-wing b***s*****r. come up with an objective source, not propaganda material.
  • ManBearPig hippycat 2012/12/12 18:31:50
    ManBearPig
    +2
    this seems to go against your claim... for an objective news source

http://www.huffingtonpost.co....
  • hippycat ManBearPig 2012/12/12 19:16:55
    hippycat
    ? you know I am really not bothered by pick-pocketers and similar stuff. or robberies for that matter. the point is that a lot less people die during a robbery in the UK. probably because we haven't got people obsessed with guns. and that's what I care about.
    I am not a law- and order person - just in case you misunderstood. crime happens. not good but it certainly is nothing I ever worry about.
    the main point is: less homicide victims in the UK.

here's the article in its full glory:
    The number of crimes recorded by police fell by 4% to 4.1 million in the last year, figures have shown.

The fall was fuelled by a drop in the number of all crime offence groups except robbery and other thefts, which were both up 4% in the year to September, compared with the previous 12 months.

Separate figures from the British Crime Survey showed "no statistically significant change" in the estimated number of crimes compared with the previous 12 months.

Around half of all robberies, including the theft of smartphones, bags and cash, took place in London, the figures showed.

The 4% increase in robberies across England and Wales was driven by a 13% rise in the Metropolitan Police area and a 10% increase in the West Midlands.

But Greater Manchester Police, another of the biggest forces in the country, show...

here's the article in its full glory:

But Greater Manchester Police, another of the biggest forces in the country, showed a 14% fall in the number of robberies.

The national police figures showed the number of robberies involving knives rose 10% in the year ending September, up from 13,971 in 2010 to 15,313 last year.

Chief Constable Jon Murphy, the lead for crime for the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said: "While falls in violence against the person overall fell, a continued cause for concern was the increase in pickpocketing, robbery, and robbery with knives.

"This has been driven by a rise in robberies of personal property and police forces will want to focus actions on tackling these offences and offering crime prevention advice."
  • ManBearPig hippycat 2012/12/13 17:46:30
    ManBearPig
    +2
    again less people in the UK less people will generally die from violent crimes

and homicides from robbery in the US are not that often as what you would think... i hear of armed robberies with both knife and gun happen all the time around my school campus but never of one that resulted in a death

most homicides in the US arise from personal confrontations, gang violence, and home invasions because the home owner was either asleep or couldnt defend himself... and many times the home invasions do not pertain to robberies but more so someone focused on assaulting the individuals in the household
  • hippycat ManBearPig 2012/12/13 19:06:58
    hippycat
    percentages don't care about the size if the population.PERCENTAGE of homicide victims.
    UK 0.22/ US 3.0
  • Stryder hippycat 2012/12/24 22:06:23 (edited)
    Stryder
    +1
    Did your article happen to include any statistics involving stabbings?

http://www.parliament.uk/brie...

These stats came from Parliament. That's not too dubious for you, is it?
    Over 29,000 stabbing crimes committed in 2012. Gonna ban knives, too?
  • hippycat Stryder 2012/12/24 22:17:17
    hippycat
    I don't know since I wasn't looking for stabbings. stabbings are bad but do not kill as often. guns are the weapons of cowards as you can kill from a distance. most people are cowards. stabbings might be more frequent but most people who stab someone stop before actually killing.
    as for the quoted statistic it has been updated. gun crime in the UK is now at 0.07, Germany at 0.2 and US at 3% per 100.000. source: wikipedia.
  • Stryder hippycat 2012/12/24 22:29:39 (edited)
    Stryder
    +1
    I think you're missing my point. People will kill regardless of what they have available. The true cowards are the criminals who prey on the unarmed. You have it backwards. A law abiding citizen with a gun is able to kill a criminal with a gun.
  • hippycat Stryder 2012/12/25 00:29:54
  • Stryder hippycat 2012/12/26 02:17:01 (edited)
    Stryder
    +1
    I've been face to face with a burglar. Was I sh*tting myself? Nope. I was pissed off and he ended up sh*tting himself as I chased him out the kitchen window. Would I be in the situation in Sandy Creek? Maybe if the idiot liberals forced me to be in this situation without any protection. If I was armed different story. And you only wish that more Brits were like John Wayne. Ask yourself this. How many Bobbies have been killed in the line of duty because they weren't armed and their killers were? I'll answer it for you. Thousands. Google it.
  • hippycat Stryder 2012/12/26 14:41:11
    hippycat
    very few. a lot less than in the States. can you google for yourself or do you need help?
  • Stryder hippycat 2012/12/26 23:59:17
    Stryder
    +1
    I already did. Hence, I know what I'm talking about. You're obviously afraid of the facts.
  • Stryder hippycat 2012/12/27 00:03:17 (edited)
    Stryder
    Here. This is from one of your own rags. And this was from 2009. I'd be willing to bet it's even worse now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

How's that gun control thing working out for you guys? Not too good.
  • Katherine Stryder 2013/01/14 22:35:36
    Katherine
    +1
    Gonna ban knives, too?

I think they already did, when knife crimes went up.
  • jimmy kevin.m... 2012/12/12 14:37:02
    jimmy
    +1
    SO TRUE
  • whitewu... hippycat 2012/12/12 14:54:44

2014/11/27 08:24:59