A NYC public school is now the first in the country to have an all-vegetarian menu. Do you think other schools should follow suit?

ABC News U.S. 2013/05/05 10:55:46

• Space Invader 2013/05/05 13:54:51
    Space Invader
    +7
    not all children can eat all the veggies; thanks to vaccinations; and genetics; many of them will either dislike or have reaction to the foods..
    but let's not get in the way of the Dem machine; that gives Morning after pills to 15 year olds; that want to regulate every aspect of your life; and are now taking on the entire responsibility of taking control of the children s lives away from their parents..but we saw that coming with the asinine statement by the Left Wing loon Perry on MSNBC...

• jubil8 BN-0 PON 2013/05/06 02:48:15
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    I answered this question so I could see how many moonbats said "No." Astonishing. Over 3,000 of you.
  • Pele Emerging 2013/05/05 18:39:33
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    It isn't protein which is causing the problem: It's sugar and to some extent, also fat, but sugar is the biggest culprit in the obesity problems.
  • jubil8 ... Pele Em... 2013/05/06 03:11:47
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    True, but most of the junk in schools is full of hidden sugars and not-so-hidden fats. Hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza. And cheese on everything. If kids have a choice of salad or pizza, what do you think they'll take?
  • Pele Em... jubil8 ... 2013/05/06 03:15:37
    Pele Emerging
    I don't know about NYC, but I know that the school in which I work has to be very strict about fat in particular, and also sugar. Now, they buns on hamburgers (which are about 1/2 soy) are whole wheat. There is not cheese on everything. However, you cannot force kids to eat healthy at school, unless they are already in the habit of eating healthy at home. If you don't believe me, go to a school and stand by the garbage cans to see what kids throw away. They throw away everything that is a little different. Just because you serve vegetarian meals doesn't mean kids will eat them.
  • jubil8 ... Pele Em... 2013/05/06 03:28:50
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    If you don't serve veg. meals, they won't eat them either. You're in a state which has some good ideas about nutrition too, which is fine.

The main problem is giving kids choices. Kids will choose what they like, not what's good for them. I ate healthy at home so if I'd had a choice of healthy or fun at school, I'd have gone for fun every time. We NEVER had a choice of lunches until h.s. -- one lunch served daily or you could bag lunch. I think there might have been one choice on Fridays because Catholics couldn't have meat. We all survived, nobody thought it was weird, and nobody thought they were deprived of their right to choose either. We were KIDS -- EVERYONE told us what to do lol.
  • Pele Em... jubil8 ... 2013/05/06 14:03:48
    Pele Emerging
    I didn't have choices, either until high school. We also we expected to eat what was served. There is not that expectation, but only that you can't make kids even taste something. Part of it is that so many are on free/reduced lunch. You would think that would increase what they eat, but no, as they have no nagging from home -- I paid for your lunch so you'd better eat it, so they dump it.
  • Milna Alen 2013/05/05 17:45:57
    Milna Alen
    +1
    Not every day, but once a week, like we have in every school in Finland
  • flrdsgns 2013/05/05 17:21:26
    flrdsgns
    I'm all for serving healthy food in schools, but becoming vegetarian isn't for everyone.
  • jubil8 ... flrdsgns 2013/05/06 03:09:59
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    One veg. meal 5 days a week during the school year won't hurt anyone either. Nobody's trying to create vegetarians - although that would be healthier than what we have now.

Did you know that once upon a time the FDA said normal adults only needed 10% of fat in their diet? Most of that fat came from meat and dairy. So the meat and dairy lobbies tossed a few shekels around, and mirabile dictu! suddenly we need 20% fat. No explanation for the change, mind you, it was just "out there."
  • flrdsgns jubil8 ... 2013/05/06 03:20:48
    flrdsgns
    +1
    I"m vegan, so I have no problem with vegetarians, I just don't think everyone should have to become vegetarian. I think I would rather see the school offer a balanced diet, with a vegetarian option.
  • jubil8 ... flrdsgns 2013/05/06 03:33:24
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Kids won't eat it unless the meat option is disgusting. If you're a vegan, you know perfectly well that a vegetarian diet can be well-balanced and healthy.

I don't see why you think serving a veg. lunch will create vegetarians.
  • flrdsgns jubil8 ... 2013/05/06 12:52:26
    flrdsgns
    It won't, but many people will look at it as though the school board is trying to limit what their children eat. That just won't go over very well with people like the cons on SH. Look at the way the cons here on SH blast Michelle Obama for suggesting people eat healthy.
  • loner131 2013/05/05 17:08:44
    loner131
    +1
    if this had happened at my school i never would of eaten lunch
    +1
    WHY should a minority, albeit a noisy one, be able to keep dictating its preferences onto others?
  • Silverl... Mike 2013/05/06 02:19:53
    Silverlocust
    +2
    Why do you think anyone is dictating to the kids? If anyone, it is the kids themselves who are doing the dictating. And good for them.

I'll tell you why not a minority, but a majority of people should be praising this move to the rooftops - because in America, one of the fattest, unhealthiest countries in the world, over two thirds of the people are obese. Because two of the top three causes of death in the USA (heart disease and stroke) have poor diets at their core (homicide comes in at a relatively healthy 15th). And because the current generation is the first one to see their children with a lower life-expectancy than themselves.

But when given the options, these 4 to 9 year old kids made the healthy choices. They chose the tofu and the beans and the plantains, they even press their parents for similar meals at home.
    It's a tragedy that political prejudices should try to shout down such a commendable move to better the health of children.
  • jubil8 ... Mike 2013/05/06 03:05:49
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    That's right, Mike! There are more McDonald's than health food stores here -- majority rules, right? Up with Big Mac, down with tofu!

Let's hear it for obesity, heart disease, and high cholesterol. Americans live too long anyway. If you can't shoot 'em, stuff 'em.
    +2
    oh hell no

Hell-o .. HUMANS are Omnivores ..
    ADD back the MEAT!
  • Popeye 2013/05/05 15:45:54
  • jubil8 ... Popeye 2013/05/06 03:03:06
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Sounds like she has some serious food allergies.
  • gimini210 2013/05/05 15:31:06
    gimini210
    +3
    If the idea behind that stupidity is to get more children to stop eating lunches it is a sound idea but considering how many poor children there are now who depend on the school lunches it sucks. Most children do not eat veggies unless you sit with them and make them. So another dumb idea that will waste food and starve a lot of children. I hate it when a group of idiots decide they know best for everyone.
  • S and S 2013/05/05 14:22:23
  • Blueskys S and S 2013/05/05 15:19:23
  • S and S Blueskys 2013/05/05 18:20:05
  • Blueskys S and S 2013/05/05 23:27:40
    Blueskys
    +1
    The "Food Police"? lol
  • Silverl... S and S 2013/05/06 02:21:50
    Silverlocust
    No it doesn't. That is allowed.
  • jubil8 ... S and S 2013/05/06 03:01:36
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Nope. They can still bring what they want from home.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2013/05/05 14:11:32
  • Blueskys Bob, th... 2013/05/05 15:19:40
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2013/05/05 14:10:01
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Kellogg's got it's start with corn flakes in mental asylums.

http://www.absolutemichigan.c...
  • PoliticallyIncorrect 2013/05/05 14:09:41
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +5
    One size doesn't fit all, one diet doesn't fit all. When the government of family abusers, alcoholics, thieves, murderers, etc that we call Congress or local governments of mayors and city councils start making personal decisions for the citizens on their personal habits, it's time to get rid of that government and the liberal philosophy they push.
  • Blueskys Politic... 2013/05/05 15:19:08
  • MissLeviathan 2013/05/05 14:05:05
    MissLeviathan
    +1
    Some people are so stupid and ignorant and think vegetarians live on lettuce and rabbit food. Personally, I think a school promoting just healthy eating is fine, meat or no meat, but the kids apparently were given choices and chose this menu, so what is the problem? If you think the kids are having "an agenda forced on them" or whatever, feed them meat at home and send them with their own packed lunches. I mean, for goodness sake, it's not like they won't ever get to eat meat again.
  • Blueskys MissLev... 2013/05/05 15:23:17
    Blueskys
    +1
    Its a crappy unhealthy diet forced on people to make them small and weak

http://spectator.org/archives...
  • MissLev... Blueskys 2013/05/05 15:25:56
    MissLeviathan
    +1
    I have been a vegetarian for five years, I am very healthy and as a dancer, I am quite athletic.
  • Blueskys MissLev... 2013/05/05 16:21:00
    Blueskys
    We both are right but my way is more portable, which is important to me I travel. If you work hard at it and get food from a wide area of earth you can make a healthy diet vegetarian, and your probably above average in intelligence. You probably spend more time than I do shopping, longer in preparing meals, and longer eating the amounts you need- chewing those plants is time consuming, and I'm impatient.
    The 'paleo' diet is a easy formula that can be adapted to what's available wherever you travel. You need be a little picky on the meat, grass fed beef, fish...
  • MissLev... Blueskys 2013/05/05 16:27:26
    MissLeviathan
    +1
    In the UK everywhere has a vegetarian option, every fast food joint included. Supermarkets have ready meals that are vegetarian (and contain a lot of beans for protein). I probably eat all the same things you do except for I replace meat with tofu, soy or some vegetarian meat substitute. I do not live on salad and fruit lol. I consume milk, cheese, eggs, yoghurt, potatoes, pasta and rice, almost anything else apart from meat.
  • Blueskys MissLev... 2013/05/06 00:09:00
    Blueskys
    +2
    ah, beans. My fathers staple when no meat. Meat/fish though are natural appetite suppressors, so its nice to never feel hungry..
    There are several ways to get what you need to be healthy, and if what you are doing works for you, that's what is most important.

In the end, I will just say my way is simple, portable, and highly effective. I am in peak health. My personal physician advises me simply continue what I do and expects me to live to my 90's.

Much more worrisome than this issue (including cow methane) is the rapidly rising CO2 levels, due to factors beyond the control of Europe and North America.
  • jubil8 ... MissLev... 2013/05/06 02:57:34
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    I love fast food in the UK because I can always get a filling veg. option. I'm big on baked potatoes with toppings. :)
  • Silverl... Blueskys 2013/05/06 02:26:18
    Silverlocust
    +1
    "Small and weak" like that famous vegetarian Mike Tyson you mean? I wouldn't mind that.

2014/10/01 18:22:47