A middle school teenager was arrested after wearing an NRA t-shirt to school and allegedly causing a ruckus when challenged by a teacher. Should students be able to wear shirts to school displaying guns on them?

ABC News U.S. 2013/04/23 02:00:00
A West Virginia teen arrested and accused of nearly inciting a riot after a confrontation with a teacher over his National Rifle Association t-shirt has inspired dozens of students across his county to wear similar apparel in solidarity.

Jared Marcum, 14, had a confrontation Thursday with a Logan Middle School teacher over his NRA t-shirt, which bears the organization's logo, along with an image of a hunting rifle and the phrase, "Protect your right."

Marcum's lawyer, Ben White, said that when the teen was told to remove the shirt or turn it inside out, he attempted to engage the teacher in a debate.

"Jared respects firearms and has training to use them, and believes in the Second Amendment," White told ABCNews.com. "He believes it's being threatened by current legislation. He wore [the shirt] as an expression of political speech and the need to protect the Second Amendment."

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/west-virginia-teen-arrest...

• gvc 2013/04/23 19:29:54
    gvc
    +43
    Not ok for a Teacher to raise their voice and act like a juvenile because he didn't like the shirt. The Teacher should have been arrested, not the student.
    BTW....the student is back in school today....wearing the same shirt.

• Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2013/06/30 21:15:54
  • Leslie Goudy 2013/05/03 23:25:19
    Leslie Goudy
    Freedom of Speech and expressioon
  • Bacejude 2013/05/02 15:27:17 (edited)
    Bacejude
    I am not bothered by the display of guns on clothes so much as the support weaponry can have in children's minds... Everywhere we are used to kids wearing gruesome clothes because they are "cool" and show a universe they feel close to. Girls wear flowers and cute animals, boys wear flames, cars and the like. Still, I wonder how guns can be regarded by most people in a country where guns cause so much damage...
    This morning I heard about a five year old accidentally killing his two year old sister because he used his own rifle (I did not even know that five year olds would own one), which the parents thought was not loaded at the time... Parents have to do their job, and you can not even trust anyone to be a good parent. How do we know this kid's parents are any different ?How does the NRA decide you are a careful parent ? Why not sell alcool to kids then ? The parents will watch over them !
    This kid claims he should be able of owning a gun : the question is whether he is a teen who wants to play grown up or whether he already knows and can prove that he can be trusted with a gun.
    And what's more : displaying something as strong as a political tee-shirt in college among class mates and teachers is not something very elegant to do : for the number of killings done by regular ...

And what's more : displaying something as strong as a political tee-shirt in college among class mates and teachers is not something very elegant to do : for the number of killings done by regular people who bought guns because they were "trustworthy", there might be one person around them who lost someone because of them... Do we know if the teacher knew someone killed in the killings ? Or if he just had empathy ? So, yes, I agree he went too far. But I prefer someone going too far because he has empathy than because he would care only about the supreme liberty of being trusted by idiots with something lethal.
    Kid wants to talk politics ? He goes for the teacher and have a talk with him instead of claiming what he thinks he deserves outrageously (like a teen can do).
    By the way, I agree that the teacher went too far anyway...
  • Daryl 2013/04/29 17:32:27
    Daryl
    +2
    YOU MEAN HE DIDN"T HAVE A T-SHIRT ABOUT GAY SEX?

OH MY!
  • JackoClubs 2013/04/29 15:12:29
    JackoClubs
    +1
    This kind of zero-tolerance nonsense is utterly asinine. It's a shirt, supporting a national organization. Big deal.
    What, like he's going to take the picture of the gun off the shirt and shoot someone? No matter how the pussified, hand-wringing libbies feel about it, we still have our Constitutional rights. Good for him.
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/29 16:12:31
    skevich
    And the other students have a right to learn. His rights don't trump their rights. There are other ways to address the issue. By the way there is nothing in the constitution about this. You might want to read it again.
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/29 17:38:57
    JackoClubs
    How was his shirt repressing the other students "right to learn", any more than any other article of clothing someone might wear? And of course it's in the Constitution; it's called the First Amendment. His right to freely express opinions.
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/29 17:47:03
    skevich
    First amendment is the Bill of Rights not the constitution. It's not the shirt it's his actions after he was asked to turn it inside out.
  • Steve ☮... skevich 2013/06/30 21:18:56
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    The Bill of Rights are the first ten amendments to the... U.S. CONSTITUTION. Don't split hairs when you don't even know what you're talking about. Makes you look stupid.
  • Martyr4... skevich 2013/04/29 19:03:20
    Martyr4Christ
    +1
    Skevich: "And the other students have a right to learn. His rights don't trump their rights. There are other ways to address the issue. By the way there is nothing in the constitution about this. You might want to read it again."

^^^
    1. Actually, Skev, it IS in the Constitution. Freedom of Speech and expression.
    2. What are the "other ways to address the issue"?
    3. NONE of the students complained. He wore the shirt all morning w/not 1 student mentioning it at all. It was at lunch when a TEACHER harassed him, and the teacher disrupted the students at lunch, NOT the student.
  • skevich Martyr4... 2013/04/29 19:30:15
    skevich
    The constitution is broken up into articles not amendments. The Bill of Rights is a completely different document that was demanded by the states. Also the first step would be for parents to contact t administration followed by the school board and finally if a suitable solution couldn't be reached file a suit in court. Also the shirt is about a inherently violent topic and all violence in school is forbidden.
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/29 21:38:16
    JackoClubs
    The Bill of Rights is part of, or more properly, an extension of, the Constitution. You're making a distinction simply in an attempt to bolster your own argument, because you realize it holds no water.
    And defending your rights is an "inherently violent topic"?
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/29 23:56:00
    skevich
    Because the second amendment was implemented because the states wanted us to have a way to rise up against our government. I'm sure you are familiar with quote, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." That is the essence of the second amendmrnt.
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/30 10:13:06
    JackoClubs
    Okay, chief. Whatever you say. Glad you're not on the SCOTUS; they're bad enough as it is.
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/30 18:20:07
    skevich
    Sorry to burst your bubble. Love how republicans can deal with the truth.
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/30 20:50:38
    JackoClubs
    I love how Democrats make it up as they go along.
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/30 21:47:04
    skevich
    If republicans would open up history books they might learn something. To bad hell will freeze over before that happens.
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/30 22:03:29 (edited)
    JackoClubs
    I was a history major; Newt Gingrich was a professor of history.
    LOL...it wasn't the Republicans who created the Dept. of Edcuation, the entity that killed the American edcuational system, the best in the world. No, that was your team, bubba, and our kid's scores have been steadily falling, ever since. The Republicans have tried repeatedly to put education back into the hands of the Counties and States, where it thrived for well over 100 years.
    And it's not the Republicans who've followed the advice of Alinskyites and the Gramscists, and revised history and social sciences, so that our children know next to nothing about their own country's history. Again, that's your team, bubba.
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/30 22:17:12
    skevich
    +1
    For a history major you seem pretty ignorant about the constitution.
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/30 22:20:32
    JackoClubs
    Lol...not me. So long, libbie.
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/30 22:27:04
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/30 22:37:22 (edited)
    JackoClubs
    Hey, don't yell at me. He's your party's representative, not mine. Okay, you can have the last word from here. I'm bored. So long.
    Bubba.
  • Steve ☮... skevich 2013/06/30 21:21:33
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    An NRA t-shirt is about an "inherently violent topic", yet we constantly celebrate our troops as "heroes", while they murder innocent foreigners on a daily basis at the behest of global corporations. I guess that's ok though, right?
  • intolerantrwj 2013/04/29 15:06:14
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    .... " White said that Marcum had been wearing the shirt without causing any problems from homeroom at the beginning of the school day through fifth period, and was confronted by one of the school's teachers while getting his lunch. When Jared refused to remove or reverse the shirt, the teacher began to raise his voice, and it caught the attention of students eating their lunch, White said. "

............. wanna bet the Lawyer has all the needed evidence on students cell-phone and lunch hall video ?

" Marcum's lawyer, Ben White, said that when the teen was told to remove the shirt or turn it inside out, he attempted to engage the teacher in a debate. "

.............. huh ... what .... ' Debate ' .... say your kidding .... say your kidding .... actually tried to debate the Teacher ... unheard of, especially in a day when the accepted norm is to beat the snot out of the Teacher and claim that your upbringing caused the situation.

........... I hope the kid Sues the hell out of the Teacher !
  • Justin.Long 2013/04/29 14:12:23
    Justin.Long
    +1
    Other than the teachers indiscretion was he breaking any rules?

If this had been a marriage equality shirt this story would be told very differently I would assume
  • JwonGalt 2013/04/29 13:25:20
    I don't know
    JwonGalt
    depends on the schooland their rules.
  • Baaxie 2013/04/29 10:06:16
    Baaxie
    +1
    Where I live, the school district doesn't allow "violent" t-shirts, and if I remember correctly, that includes wrestling. WWA or whatever it is. But I'm in a red state, so I bet they'd allow NRA or hunting related shirts. I don't know the full story here, but it seems pretty ridiculous that he was arrested! However, I also think he should have just done what his teacher said, rather than start a "debate." The people on my facebook that are so pro guns just LOVE to fight about it. Scary that they HAVE guns, they're so angry! Anyway... if I saw someone wearing this, I'd just think it was kind of redneck, and I wouldn't buy it for my kid.
  • Martyr4... Baaxie 2013/04/29 13:45:10
    Martyr4Christ
    +2
    "Violent" ?<<<<< This shirt only supports the 2nd amendment. There is NO violence portrayed. I understand that the media has brainwashed most of the public to believe that a picture of a hunting rifle(which ALL our ancestors used at one point to hunt food, and many people still do today).should offend the false flag swallowers, and incite opposition to the point of fruitlessly attempting to stifie people's 1st and 2nd Amendment, but gun owners are NOT trigger-happy ignoramuses.

" if I saw someone wearing this, I'd just think it was kind of redneck, and I wouldn't buy it for my kid" <<<<<< You expose your own prejudices and condescending ignorance here through the use of racial slurs.

Furthermore, a debate is nothing more than an exchange of ideas, an educational and constructive means of acquiring knowledge and facts, correcting inaccuracies, and presenting valid testimony/information to promote awareness. It is a productive discussion, presented in a civil, polite manner, with an emphasis on mutual respect, and debating effectively is a valuable skill to develop.....the teacher failed as a "teacher" by punishing the student for pursuing his education and should be disciplined for refusing the child access to an education, which this child's parents taxes pay him/her to administer, and the very reason they send their child to school.
    kgk
  • Justin.... Baaxie 2013/04/29 14:19:32
    Justin.Long
    +1
    the second amendment is just as much a right as gay marriage if not more so marriage was never defined in the constitution gun rights were

See its mind sets like that of the "all the angry gun owners" that politicians use to breed fear like bacteria in a culture,

Not trying to call you out you admit you don't know the whole story
  • JackoClubs Baaxie 2013/04/29 15:18:59 (edited)
    JackoClubs
    +1
    Well, the issue is Constitutional, and should be debated. And the teacher, as an educator, should have been willing to do so. Obviously, he was only trying to silence the kid. You said your school district doesn't allow "violent shirts". Where is that line drawn?
    And that's the eternal question, isn't it? What consititutes "violence"? What if it was a picture of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker fighting with lightsabers?
    Oooo! You can't wear that! They're fighting!
    Or Legolas the Elf with his Bow and arrow; or Gimli the dwarf with his giant axe? Or Darrel from "Walking Dead" with his crossbow? Or even that picture of Muhammad Ali, standing over the unconscious Sonny Liston?
    What's "violent"?
    It's like the people who want "sensible" gun laws. What's "sensible"? Totally subjective.
    I have a gun; several, in fact. Do I sound angry? You're buying into the demonizing media stereotype of the Crazy Gun Nut.
  • Baaxie JackoClubs 2013/04/29 15:48:38
    Baaxie
    Hey, I'm not on the school board. I don't know why they choose to restrict the things they do, while allowing others. Speaking as a parent, I don't think I'd want my child sitting in math class, listening to a gun debate between a student and teacher. Who knows what a teacher's personal beliefs might be? Things like that aren't appropriate. Was this kid even in high school yet, or just 8th grade? Oh, and I wouldn't say you sound angry, but you're definitely revved up, and ready for debate that could get heated. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There are plenty of things I'm passionate about myself. Also... I grew up around guns. My dad was a cop, then opened a gun shop. I don't feel uncomfortable around the weapons, but I sure felt uneasy around some of his customers. Some people who seemed truly crazy came in wanting high powered rifles. Having seen that side of things first hand, I definitely think we should do whatever we can to keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people. I just don't know how it can possibly be done.
  • JackoClubs Baaxie 2013/04/29 17:48:54 (edited)
    JackoClubs
    Expressing well-considered, fact-based opinions is always apporpriate, especially in school. It teaches kids to think independently, abstractly and objectively, which is something that is sadly lacking in our public educational system, today.
    I think that it's quite clear what the teacher's feelings are, actually. And what difference does it make what grade the kid is in?
    They're so concerned with the rights of The Children when it serves to impose some new law or regulation, but when it's something like the 2nd Amendment, forget it, kid. Call the cops.
    And there is no way to keep guns out of the hands of the "wrong people", besides a total ban, which is coming down the pike, trust me. Of course, the "wrong people" is a subjective term, too. And when that ban comes, only the "wrong people" will have guns. The rest of us law-abiding citizens will be at their mercy, like in England and Australia.
  • jooba 2013/04/29 08:19:45
    I don't know
    jooba
    +1
    Rules are rules, unless it was unspecified whether or not you could wear clothing with guns printed on then this kid was asking for it, I'm pretty sure he knew wearing the shirt would get him into trouble.
  • Jay Theyme 2013/04/29 06:13:56
    Jay Theyme
    +2
    1. The Teacher needs to be disciplined for antagonizing and encouraging a riot.
    2. Someone needs to arrest those 'rioting'.
    3. The police need to be arrested and disciplined for arresting the victim and not the trouble-makers.

You get the idea here.
  • Jade 2013/04/29 05:25:09
    Jade
    +2
    Yes if has to do with constitutional rights
  • skevich 2013/04/29 05:13:26
    skevich
    +1
    In this case I'm going to say no. The shirt was meant to be disruptive and with that intention it has no place in schools.
  • JackoClubs skevich 2013/04/29 15:31:00
    JackoClubs
    "Protect Your Right" is meant to be disruptive?
    I guess we don't want our kids to know their rights, unless of course they're the ones we want them to know about?
  • skevich JackoClubs 2013/04/29 15:49:30
    skevich
    I learned my rights just fine in class. How ever this was obviously a problem. If he was in violation of the dress code there is no problem. I've made more than one student turn a shirt inside out because of dress code violation. There are other avenues to get justice other than disrupting others education. That was in acceptable.
  • Serenity Guru of lurve *wink* 2013/04/29 02:29:35
    Serenity  Guru of lurve *wink*
    It is in extremely poor taste after the Sandy Hook massacre for him to wear the T shirt in school but maybe he should of just had his parents called up the school and take him home but then I start thinking who bought him the NRA shirt .......

mum buying son nra t shirt

xxx "S"
  • Justin.... Serenit... 2013/04/29 14:21:02
    Justin.Long
    +2
    By that logic should home ec be removed from a schools curriculum after the Boston massacre

2014/09/02 00:08:27