A man gets kicked out of the kids section of a Barnes and Noble for buying kid books for his grandkids. Is this discrimination?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/06/06 20:08:18
Picture this: you're standing in the children's section of a bookstore.
You've got money. You've got books to buy. And then an employee tells
you that you have to leave. The reason? The other customers are freaked
out that you're a man.

It's a story a grandfather from Arizona is screaming from the rooftops this week. Omar Amin says he went to Barnes and Noble to buy books for his grandkids, and he got kicked out because he was a man. And a store spokesperson is defending the action.

So who's right?

Read More: http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/138483/gran...

• bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/06/06 20:12:50
    Yes it is discrimination. You can't kick people out of stores for "looking cr...
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +7
    Hell, I'd never get to leave the house! Seriously, they're his grandkids!!!!!! This profiling thing has gone mad. Like my sainted Granny used to say,'you can't tell a book by it's cover.'

It's outrageous.
  • Mike Mike 2012/12/22 04:36:51
    I hope B&N has good "deep pockets" !
  • Brosia 2012/06/30 19:08:16
    Brosia
    +1
    He wasn't even looking creepy, he was just a man. I hope he sues the hell out of them for discrimination. There is nothing wrong with a man buying books for his grandkids. But there is something wrong with pretending that there is something wrong with it.
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2012/06/11 21:04:56
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +1
    Did he have pants on?
  • Iamfree 2012/06/09 06:35:21
    Iamfree
    +1
    I would have preferred an "Other" option. I can't help but believe there is more to this story than we know. I see grandparents of both genders shopping in the kids' section of bookstores all of them time, and I have yet to hear of one being asked to leave. I'm sure there is more to this tale.
  • Charles E 2012/06/08 13:44:50
    Charles E
    +1
    If he is looking at books and not kids the people who complained have a problem.
    And Barnes and Noble has lost my business.
  • EdVenture 2012/06/08 07:16:40
    EdVenture
    +2
    I think the store should market the books to resposible adults for use by the children, ie Books your children may enjoy, a responsible adult approach not the candy store ice cream truck approach. Maybe have a dedicated child selection area. Would have to see the circumstances
  • Charles E EdVenture 2012/06/08 13:47:18
    Charles E
    +4
    B & N has a childrens book section. That is where you go to select childrens books to purchase.
  • gvc 2012/06/08 05:50:37
    gvc
    +2
    How ridiculous.
  • Jackie 2012/06/08 04:52:59
    Jackie
    +2
    Man the stores will do really stupid things to get free press
  • overseanancy 2012/06/08 01:38:05
    overseanancy
    +1
    Nice, Barnes and Nobles. Real Smooth. Now you are going to get lots of customers

P.S. Note the sarcasm
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/06/08 00:42:55
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    Pure paranoia.
  • Jennifer McDermott 2012/06/07 23:04:10
    Jennifer McDermott
    +2
    was he watching little children like he was planning on kidnapping one? if so then yes... otherwise leave him be. if he acts suspicious then give him a warning first, then on second offense kick him out
  • Tina 2012/06/07 22:25:03
    Tina
    +2
    how the hell did the store have any right to kick him out? he was a paying customer and a grandfather buying books for his grandchildren. what's wrong with that.
  • SemperRick 2012/06/07 21:01:55
    SemperRick
    +2
    It vaguely resembles the West Point Grad who had a concealed gun license. While in COSTCO one of the workers noticed his gun and was asked to leave. The gun owner explained that he had a license to carry and would gladly leave after he paid for his items. In the meantime a loss prevention officer had called 911 and frantically told the police that their was a crazed gun carrying Green Beret causing trouble. This was not the case at all, but just a an overzealous high grade security passing judgement without the facts. Next thing we know is that SWAT is on the scene and COSTCO is quietly telling their customers to leave quietly. When an officer asked the Grad to freeze, he had no idea the cop was talking to him. The demanded him to show his hands several times before the grad realized it was him receiving the orders. Just as he was about to explain to the cop that he had a license to carry, the cop shot him dead in the chest. I will never shop at COSTCO again. This man did nothing wrong and now everybody has swept this incident under the rug and it looks as though there will be no investigation. What a sad tragedy of events.
  • Mike SemperRick 2012/12/22 04:38:57
    tragic, but hardly surprising given our "police state" mentality today.
  • notokand 2012/06/07 16:55:05
    notokand
    +2
    Ridiculous. Looking creepy is not against the law. If the guy is buying, leave him alone. He's not touching other people's kids and if he's bothering you, go away. My father is in construction and often will stop at the store on his way home and people treat him like he's dumb because he'll look kind of a mess... It's really quite irritating.
  • beach bum 2012/06/07 16:10:33
    No the store was right to remove the man.
    beach bum
  • LittleMissPatriot 2012/06/07 13:46:15 (edited)
    LittleMissPatriot
    +2
    He was NOT 'shopping for kids books' when they made him leave. He was sitting on the floor of the kid's section talking on his phone to a female friend!
  • Dion Pr... LittleM... 2012/06/08 18:57:26
    Dion Prince
    +1
    he was shopping for kids books, he then sat down by the window to take a phone call.
  • Revolution 2012 2012/06/07 13:43:38
    Revolution 2012
    +3
    This is unacceptable. What has this world come to?
  • Dion Prince 2012/06/07 13:25:43
    Dion Prince
    +2
    Instead of kicking the man out, the parents should be keeping a close eye on there children so that If anyone approaches, the parent can act then
    I am a 32 yo man with children. It is quite often that when I am at the book store I go to the kids section to buy a book or two for my kids or familiy members. I also shop at toys R us and other stores alone. I would be pissed off if I was labeled as a pedafile because I shop alone for things for my children
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/06/07 12:46:38
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    Under law, you can't do it. Really, you should be able to, but only by the person in charge, but technically you're not allowed.
  • Willy 2012/06/07 12:33:43
    Willy
    +2
    If he looked like osama bin laden, I would kick him out too.
  • dandieselonian 2012/06/07 12:29:44
    dandieselonian
    +2
    no barnes and noble are communists who want to control ever aspect of people who are in their store
    +3
    This is a far better article than listed.

http://www.azcentral.com/comm...

The man has every right to be upset and Barnes and Noble has not yet produced a public appology from the store manager.

As the gentleman says, "I'm not going away"

I think B&N; better make a turnabout quickly or they will have a nightmare on their hands.
  • Mike sjalan 2012/12/22 04:43:28
    +1
    Let's hope he litigates!!
  • Sharon1992 2012/06/07 12:22:42
    Sharon1992
    +2
    Seriously V_V what is the US coming to?
  • irish 2012/06/07 12:05:12
    irish
    +2
    see where religions have taken people's minds? pedophile priests
  • Risk 2012/06/07 11:46:14
    Risk
    +2
    I have a feeling there's more to this then what is being reported in the article. No store owner or responsible manager is going to kick someone out for the stated reason !
  • irish Risk 2012/06/07 12:05:44
    irish
    +1
    want a bet?
  • Risk irish 2012/06/07 12:10:31
    Risk
    +1
    I can't prove it ( this store ), can you ?
  • irish Risk 2012/06/07 12:41:17
    irish
    +2
    yep! when i lived in philly i sent my 9 yr old to the corner store for a loaf of bread. i gave her $10 dollar bill. she came back with 50 cents. i went to the store and demanded my money back . they had the nerve to claim that she stole it for herself. yeah? where did she spend it on the way home,going past 5 houses? the store owner literally shoved me out the door. needless to say i made a police report.and a week later my car window was smashed out. damned philly idiots.
  • Risk irish 2012/06/07 12:51:37
    Risk
    +2
    That was a bad incident and I've had a few similar incidents, however a business owner depends on good PR and a " responsible " manager will also recognize this. I have a gut feeling there is more to the above story then what is being reported unless they're fools and most business owners or " responsible " managers would not make a negative incident out of something so trivial as this article describes it ! Have good day irish, got to open for business .... ; )
  • irish Risk 2012/06/07 13:05:39
    irish
    +2
    LOL open for business. exactly,why would they risk getting bad PR unless the manager is a hen pecked wussy?LOL
  • Dion Pr... Risk 2012/06/07 13:28:38
    Dion Prince
    I beg to differ

"Barnes & Noble vice president Mark Bottini said, ?We want to apologize to Dr. Amin for a situation in which Dr. Amin was asked to leave the children?s section of our Scottsdale, Ariz., store.?

?We should not have done so,? Bottini said. ?It is not our policy to ask customers to leave any section of our stores without justification. We value Dr. Amin as a customer and look forward to welcoming him in any of our stores.?"
    so apparantly the VP of Barnes in Nobles apologized to the man because that is in fact the reason he was asked to leave
  • Link 2012/06/07 11:33:58 (edited)
    Link
    +1
    Unless there was something more to the story that's not mentioned here, the store was wrong... but that's my personal opinion...

Legally, as bad as this store's move is (again, from what's being told here), the store, being a non-public enterprise (as opposed to government-owned), does reserve the right to refuse service to anyone they deem necessary...... that is their right...

It seems that the popular opinion is that there's more to this story than is being posted...
  • U-Dog 2012/06/07 11:31:11
    U-Dog
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/06/07 11:07:16
  • 'Zedd Chris -... 2012/06/07 13:58:34

2014/12/19 10:12:22