A 'Good Job' is Considered $12 an Hour: Is $12 an hour a decent wage?

Pamela 2009/06/04 21:09:58
Yes. $12 an hour is a decent wage to start
No.  $12 an hour seems too little
Investing in green jobs can mean creating million manufacturing jobs. But this may mean that more jobs will be underpaid. What was once a $28-an-hour entry level job has now become a $12-an-hour job thanks to the economy. Some of these jobs are pretty tough - Is $12 an hour a decent wage?

• Artemis ~PHAET 2009/06/05 05:56:46
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +5
    It depends on where you live. $12 an hour around where I live would be freaking awesome. Most folks around here don't even make $8 an hour.

• D-rainbowskittlez 2009/06/07 06:23:40 (edited)
    D-rainbowskittlez
    you can do many things with that to survive a desent life..

but it kind off also depends on wat job ur workin in and how the economy is where ur livin..
  • Terry J Vey 2009/06/07 06:18:35
    Terry J Vey
    +1
    I was makeing $15.15 per hour here in Wisconsin.My used car was paid for!My rent with heat was $530.I was able to put away money with this wage.Now being unemployed I would love a $12 per hour job!I would even be happy with $10 to start.The unemployement will be running out soon.I honestly do not know what to do if that happens.I am just at my wits end here.
  • Chaotixa Terry J... 2009/06/07 18:55:15
    Chaotixa
    hang in there, and just keep trying. it took my husband over 6 months to find a job, but he did eventually, and that was with alot of hard work and determination, so dont give up! it'll be ok eventually.
  • Terry J... Chaotixa 2009/06/07 19:33:22
    Terry J Vey
    +1
    Thank You it is just fustrating and I sometimes let it get to me!
  • Chaotixa Terry J... 2009/06/07 20:39:44
    Chaotixa
    +1
    no prob, i know how it is :)
  • kittybaby 2009/06/07 03:22:53
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    kittybaby
    +1
    I live in CA and there is no way anyone could live on $12 and hour. I do think it depends on where a person lives though. My nephew lives in Nebraska and makes $17 hr, he thinks he's rich.
  • shitbird 2009/06/07 02:48:04
    shitbird
    As long as you live in Bangladesh! 12 decent wage live bangladesh
  • Jessica 2009/06/07 01:03:36
    Jessica
    Yeah, it does depend on where you live. But I believe to live conformable in the U.S. 12 bucks an hour is reasonable. Now with everything going up people need higher wages, especially those trying to survive in the U.S. tough economy now and trying to raise a family, pay bills, and have basic necessities. 12 bucks an hour is reasonable in the United States anyways.
  • Louisa 2009/06/06 21:38:35
    Louisa
    $12 is fine to start with. But considering how the cost of living keeps going up and up, it should probably be around the minimum anyone should consider.

If a job earns you less than childcare for the same number of hours would cost, rethink taking it. Even if you're not a parent, that's a good rule of thumb.
  • OhioCritter-Adopt a Homeles... 2009/06/06 21:17:41
    OhioCritter-Adopt a Homeless Pet
    Well- I live in Northeast Ohio- and make a few dollars more then 12. I own my home- Mortgage is $785 a month.
    Things are very tight. I am fighting to hold on. Got NO PAY Raise this year- due to economy.
    But to START a job at $12 is NOT Bad. If its especially entry level - what kind of education if any is needed???
  • panda in bandanna 2009/06/06 19:51:57
    panda in bandanna
    $8.25 is the minimum wage where i live..so $12 per hour is good enough
  • Dewymoon 2009/06/06 19:48:49
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Dewymoon
    I make a little more than this .... BUT I tell you what .. when I get laid off ... Yes I will be next year ... I will not be above taking a job making 12 a hour ..... its so hard to find a job making 10 ..... Believe me its better then 0 dollars
  • Serena 2009/06/06 19:29:56
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Serena
    i make much more than that! i cant imagine that little!
  • Louisa Serena 2009/06/06 21:39:33
    Louisa
    Lucky. $12 an hour is the most I've made for a job with an hourly wage.
  • Serena Louisa 2009/06/06 21:43:42
    Serena
    wow. i dont kno wat to say. but i do feel bad for you...
  • Louisa Serena 2009/06/06 21:48:58
    Louisa
    +1
    Well, I did just graduate from college. But it's very tough to find a decently paying job in any fields other than, say, engineering or medicine. $12 an hour looks pretty good compared to McDonald's $6.50.
  • Serena Louisa 2009/06/06 21:53:19
    Serena
    I agree. Though I did work at Wendy's for a short time...
  • Twilightdreamz13 2009/06/06 14:33:47
    Twilightdreamz13
    +1
    my mom survived ten years with 12 dollar wage.
  • Erica 2009/06/06 14:11:54
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Erica
    Depends on where you live really and in most places the standard of living cost is way higher.

I live in Miami, FL and you'd need two jobs that pay $12 an hour to stay above water and that's just barely....still, it beats being unemployed
  • Luis 2009/06/06 07:27:13
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Luis
    +3
    My Wife makes 13.00 an hour and it amounts to 600 dollars every two weeks. This is after taxes,Social Security, and insurance. Our rent is 975.00 a month and we could not pay for our car payments so we lost our house and both our cars. That is with claiming six dependents. I can't imagine how anyone who does not live at home with their parents could work for this wage. This is why people are loosing their homes. They are employed but employed by Wal Mart, Lowes, Target, and Home depot. None pay well. People are under employed and some have little or no health care insurance. It's a cruel joke. You can't live on that in California or New York.
  • chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mag... 2009/06/06 07:09:28
    chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mage, Smirotiel
    $12 an hour is more than many people in my area are paid, so I'd say it's a damn good wage.
  • Luis chiglet... 2009/06/06 07:34:46
    Luis
    +2
    Not in California and in NYC it would be impossible to live anywhere if you made that. Maybe you live in Kentucky or down South where wages are low and the standard of living is cheap. If you lived in LA and made that you would be living in a cardboard box.
  • chiglet... Luis 2009/06/06 07:53:05
    chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mage, Smirotiel
    Very true. It's amazing the price differences for the exact same items.
  • Wayne 2009/06/06 05:46:25
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Wayne
    12.00 an hour wont do anything It is basically just above entry level, but it a start in the right direction
  • 1019803 2009/06/06 05:42:05 (edited)
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    1019803
    +2
    Your kidding right? This can't be a serious question. Pay a mortgage or rent, car payments or lump sum for auto, auto insurance, health insurance, food, cloths, laundry, medicine, etc, etc. HELL NO. NOT EVEN CLOSE. And have no money for beer!!! I move to another country first. health insurance food cloths laundry medicine close money beer country
    Don't even talk to me about $12 an hour!
  • Luis 1019803 2009/06/06 07:35:31
    Luis
    +1
    I love this Cat!
  • 1019803 Luis 2009/06/06 07:38:16
    1019803
    :)
  • E.G. 2009/06/06 05:37:37
    E.G.
    +1
    Wow! Then I can quit 13 - 15 of the jobs I have now... especially since 2 of them is just to cover the income tax on the rest... *grin*
  • cincin88 2009/06/06 04:44:56
    cincin88
    Where I live it is!
  • Poetic Warrior 2009/06/06 04:32:04
    Poetic Warrior
    +1
    Yeah considering that I started out at 4.75 in 1990 at a job that is a darn good starting wage.
  • Luis Poetic ... 2009/06/06 07:40:55
    Luis
    +1
    For a teenager living at home. But not for an adult in California. 4.75 in 1990 bought more then 12.00 does now. Do the math. Rent in 1990 was ( in Southern California) abut 350 to 500 a month. Today a 2 bedroom apartment in the desert is 1100 a month. In OC it's about 1300-1500 a month. In West LA it is about 2100 or more. 12.00 an hour works out after taxes to about 550 every two weeks. So eating is out and so are utilities. A Car? Forget about it. If you have no car in California you are dead. There really is no rapid transit.
  • Poetic ... Luis 2009/06/06 17:51:53
    Poetic Warrior
    Yes you are probably right, I did not know about how much rent and stuff was in CA thanks for sharing and I feel sorry for those who live there.
  • ♥Isis♥ 2009/06/06 04:09:20
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    ♥Isis♥
    Well not compared to $28 but its better than min wage...
  • Selfish 2009/06/06 02:36:05
    Selfish
    +2
    Minimum wage is an appropriate starting wage for your first job, but $12 is great
  • Doc Ock 2009/06/06 01:48:31
    Doc Ock
    +2
    Depends on where you live and how many hours you get.
  • julie sossaman 2009/06/06 01:19:38
    julie sossaman
    to me the wanting for more , more, as put america into alot of what we are seeing, 2 people need to work in a family now days, and find out what there wants, and needs are.
  • Dr Mike 2009/06/05 23:47:29
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Dr Mike
    +1
    First, who the heck believes that (so called) "green jobs" are going to create millions of manufacturing jobs?

Pretender Obama constantly uses Spain for his model on "green job" technology and economy, but truth be it known, green jobs are a killer to the economy.

Let's look ate the facts shall we.....
    -----------------------------...

Morning Bell: A Jobs Killing Bill
    http://blog.heritage.org/2009...

Posted April 23rd, 2009 at 7.53am in Energy and Environment.

Testifying on Capitol Hill yesterday, Energy Secretary Steven Chu, Transportation Secretary Roy LaHood, and EPA administrator Lisa Jackson all pitched the latest cap and trade bill in the House as a “jobs bill.” Jackson told the House Energy and Commerce Committee, “This is a jobs bill, and it is a jobs bill that focuses our country’s energy on the growth industry of the future.” But when Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) asked Jackson how her agency was able to release a cost estimate of the bill after she admitted she had not even read it, Jackson replied: “We had to make assumptions.” You know what happens when you make assumptions, don’t you?

The “preliminary analysis” released by Jackson’s EPA found that cap and trade would cost the average American household an extra $98 to $140 a year. These numbers are far below most acade...

Let's look ate the facts shall we.....
    -----------------------------...

Morning Bell: A Jobs Killing Bill
    http://blog.heritage.org/2009...

The “preliminary analysis” released by Jackson’s EPA found that cap and trade would cost the average American household an extra $98 to $140 a year. These numbers are far below most academic studies of cap and trade legislation. For example, a study done by MIT Professor John Reilly found that a scheme modeled after the far more lenient Warner-Lieberman cap and trade bill would cost the average American household a combined $3,900 every year in higher energy costs and taxes. Our own Center for Data Analysis shows Lieberman-Warner would have cost the U.S. economy $4.8 trillion by 2030.

And then there are the Americans that will lose their jobs completely due to cap and trade. Affirming his belief that carbon taxes would create jobs, Secretary LaHood emphasized “especially green jobs.” And what exactly are green jobs? No one knows. An academic study of eco-leftist rhetoric released earlier this year shows that there is no standard definition of what a green job is, and most studies that purport to show green job creation ignore the other jobs that are destroyed by energy taxes. When “green jobs” are well defined, studies show that alternative energy policies kill more jobs than they create. President Barack Obama loves to cite Spain as an example of his preferred green job future but a study released last month by researchers at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos shows that for each job created in Spain’s renewable energy industry, 2.2 jobs were destroyed elsewhere in the economy.

We live in a fiercely competitive global marketplace. If carbon taxes were a sound way of creating jobs and economic growth our global competitors would be jumping at the chance to adopt them. Instead we see the opposite: China has said they will never sacrifice their economic growth to reduce carbon emissions and India has called the trade off between carbon caps and economic growth “morally wrong.” The smarter way to insure against the possible risks of global warming is to enact policies that will ensure robust economic growth. History shows that richer is greener.

-----------------------------...

As far as $12 an hour being a good wage........ if the type of job that pays $12 an hour is all a person aspires to, well then he or she will have to live within their means, and not go out and spend like they were making more..

Please keep in mind, it is pretender Obama who is telling the American people to tighten their belts (while he and his main squeeze are gallivanting around the country, and recently around the world, spending our tax dollars on their frequent holidays), so for the progressive liberal sheep who voted for him (excluding all the dead people, cartoon characters and vagrants that got paid in cigarettes and booze to vote for him mutable times), suck it up and accept the pittance that pretender Obama throws out to you.. You get what you paid (or in this case, voted) for..
  • Jukebox 2009/06/05 23:47:00
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Jukebox
    +1
    It isn't a decent wage if you're not living with your parents. It's under $22,000/year and take home of maybe $315/week ($630 every two weeks, $1260/month). In a place like New York where a studio is $750/month easy, not counting utilities, you're not getting very far. If, however, you're part of a team (husband and wife) and one is pulling in about $15/hour (about $27,300, take home almost $1600/month), then if you're careful and just starting out, you may be able to start saving a little money. But these days, a single person just starting out needs closer to $30,000, especially if s/he has college loans.
  • ashdragon88 2009/06/05 21:47:24
    ashdragon88
    shit.....i started my current job at 7.25/hr and have had to work my way up to 10/hr.....i think im doing pretty good
  • Tonya 2009/06/05 21:44:25
    Tonya
    +1
    $12/hr can get you by if you cut out all the luxury and pace yourself. do what you need to do 1st. take care of that and then you can splurge. if everyone put business before pleasure we wouldn't have a problem.

2014/08/21 02:30:47