A 'Good Job' is Considered $12 an Hour: Is $12 an hour a decent wage?

Pamela 2009/06/04 21:09:58
Yes. $12 an hour is a decent wage to start
No.  $12 an hour seems too little
Investing in green jobs can mean creating million manufacturing jobs. But this may mean that more jobs will be underpaid. What was once a $28-an-hour entry level job has now become a $12-an-hour job thanks to the economy. Some of these jobs are pretty tough - Is $12 an hour a decent wage?

• Artemis ~PHAET 2009/06/05 05:56:46
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +5
    It depends on where you live. $12 an hour around where I live would be freaking awesome. Most folks around here don't even make $8 an hour.

• Morgan Campbell 2014/02/06 15:48:47
    Morgan Campbell
    I'm a recent college grad with 7 years work experience, great references, a close relationship with the career center at my University, and while $12 is not what I HOPE I make, it's realistic for a first job out of college. If this were a job I really wanted for experience, $12 an hour is fine. I'm moving across the US for work, so a big part is cost of living- in an area like Phoenix or Texas, where costs are lower overall, it's reasonable. Although I graduated college early, with less debt than most, and have a used car that is paid off, so your debt level also plays a role. If I had to pay $400 a month in student loan repayment, it would be a different story.
  • Geoff Fain 2012/07/20 14:30:41 (edited)
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Geoff Fain
    I live in rural south Texas you people are crazy if you think 12 an hour is a good job. I make 17 an hour my wife makes about the same as me 40 hr work week, with two kids, mortgage, car payment, groceries etc. Are house is small, cars are crappy and we are barely getting by. I think people that say 12 an hour is a good job got something from mommy or daddy like a paid off house or good car.

I physically couldn't get motivated enough to get out of bed for less than 15 an hour.

I don't think its wise for people to settle for a low wage I think we are setting a standard to this new amerachina just so we can compete with the rest of the world.

If consumerism is mostly the only thing that builds countries and its super global why have countries? Why have different currencies or value? Why settle for a low wage. Just think there would be no such thing if everyone asked for higher salary. Rich folks would still get richer you would still have investments they would STILL want to make easy money!... it just won't be a ridiculous gap and super unrealistic high gains you have now.

But this would take everyone to wake up, use their head and stop acting like slaves and that's not happening, we love being slaves. Thank you welfare, corporate corruption and mommys and daddys that spoil your kids from yals "times were good" generation. We now all get paid like crap.
  • ralph r... Geoff Fain 2013/01/28 02:20:01
    ralph ralpherton
    +1
    17 an hour isn't much for a middle aged person, but 12.50 is okay for a younger person, or for entry level wages =). You have to count competition, and remember what the freemasons said- "Never pay a man more than he thinks he is worth, and never teach a man your trade for free". Welcome to America
  • bernadine Geoff Fain 2013/03/04 04:16:39
    bernadine
    +2
    Most people are making minimum wage, which is 7.25.with no help from family. People are graduating with degrees and can't find a job in their field, so they end up working at a fast food job listening to a manager that don't even have a high school diploma let alone a ged.so yes 12 dollars an hour is pretty damn good depending on where you live at and if you're living within your means.
  • bernadine Geoff Fain 2013/03/04 04:28:07
    bernadine
    +2
    you can buy a house nowadays for 70,000 dollars paying close to 300 something dollars with a down payment od 1,000. That's why everyone is moving. (Live within your means) ; )
  • Adrien ... Geoff Fain 2014/01/28 20:26:40
  • Brandon Geoff Fain 2014/02/06 21:10:48
    Brandon
    +2
    If you and your wife make $17/hr and still barely get by, you are doing something wrong. I make $11.50 and my gf makes less than minimum wage and we have a kid and we are doing fine. I grew up poor and neither of us get any money from our parents. If you budget and don't live above your means, you can make it on much less money than $17/hr
  • ray 2011/07/29 04:41:36
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    ray
    I am 21 years old and have a lot of work experience, (have always remained in my previous jobs for at least two years and sometimes they overlapped) and I am about to graduate college soon and am certified in a trade, and my rent is 1200 (2 bedrooms) my food is at least 350 a month my car is paid off but my gas and parking fees are about 120 a month, my utilities n phone are at least 195 and i earn 7.25 an hour but i work commission so after commission i make about 13.75 an hour and i work many hours and deal with a lot of rude people. and even though i can barely pay for everything i seem to get LUCKY and do so, but lately since sales have been low im stressing on how to make ends meet. im finally getting a job that will pay 15-19 an hour, so i could start saving again and living comfortable. what i mean is if you enjoy good living and comfort $2ph is only good in high school when you live with ur parents, not if u have a family or are independent (i have a child so i need the 2 bedrooms, but on average a one bedroom here is $900). deal with it for now but don't settle because you will never get to save any money or have enough money to enjoy life, (believe me living paycheck to paycheck sucks!!!), and i live in jersey city, close to NYC, NY
  • ken ray 2012/04/30 15:49:27
    ken
    +2
    It depends I live in upstate ny about 1 hour from the city. Own a home and three used cars and a dog. I make 14 my girl makes 10 we make enough to pay the bills and loan payment, and be able to put money in the house and go out a couple times a month plus have some money in the bank. Just depends on were you live an
  • Jenhifer Salas 2011/06/27 00:05:20
    Jenhifer Salas
    I live in California and I think people here are greatly exaggerating how expensive it is to live here. Maybe if you had thousands of dollars of debt, but if you play it cool and stay within your means, 12/hr isn't that hard to live on. I work 40 hours a week and get paid semi-monthly. I'm currently still entry level, but the company I work for has annual raises and full benefits once you pass the 3 month probation period. I even got this job with no schooling. My checks usually average around 900 dollars after taxes. If you want to live in a very nice neighborhood with perfectly manicured lawns, then yes, it would be too difficult to live here, but if you're okay with living in a slightly run down but safe neighborhood you would be okay. I save money by carpooling to work and I still have fun by going out once a week.
  • IndoDAVE 2011/04/18 22:33:48
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    IndoDAVE
    +1
    Living in Cali with 2 roomates, $12.70 gets me by with a 30-40hr a week job. My contract says I top out at $20/hr but thats like in 2-3 years from now. I work in a grocery store and maybe I should move to Oregon lol.
  • calinkinpark 2010/01/08 23:39:20
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    calinkinpark
    +2
    $12 an hour is way too low for someone straight out of college! It's so unfair that after working our butts off for 4 years that one gets paid so little. College graduates DESERVE $20 an hour out of school. If the value of the dollar drops because of that, so be it. I'd rather that happen then get paid slave wages for a long time because of greedy corporations.
  • Phalome 2009/12/24 05:47:56
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Phalome
    +1
    hell no! it cost $14 pr hr just to eat rent car/under $15 ph is for high school kids.
    fuck all the rich mofos paying hard workin ppl crap wages like $9ph you should be shot.
  • Yeshe Sangpo 2009/10/23 19:36:03
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Yeshe Sangpo
    Perhaps if you are sitting around doing your homework like being a low level contract security guard as a college student, it would be a good job, but for working in manufacturing, or a warehouse doing heavy lifting, it is terrible.
  • Billyk75 2009/06/08 15:35:34
    Billyk75
    With the way that things are high priced, yes that might sound good.
  • cronewinter 2009/06/08 15:31:45
    cronewinter
    $12 an hour is a really good wage in my area. There are very few jobs above $9 to $9.50.
  • petean05 2009/06/08 15:06:50
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    petean05
    Its not enough if you have a family.
  • Philadelphia Freedom 2009/06/08 13:40:00
    Philadelphia Freedom
    Depends where you live i live in an area where you as a single person could live off it but not save a lot of money .
  • Alva 2009/06/08 04:24:41
    Alva
    It's a great wage for starting anywhere. Granted it would be better to get that in the non-coastal areas where the cost of living is much lower. But I know a lot of college students and high school grads here in LA that would love to get $12.00/hour.
  • Armygeek 2009/06/08 03:58:55
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Armygeek
    It really depends on the job. Obviously if you went to college for 4 years you should be making more than 12 dollars an hour, hell even people who went to college for 2 years should be getting at least 18 an hour. If you are doing mindless work then sure the wage will be low, but if you invested in your future and have loans to repay then I think you should be compensated for your hard work.
  • Jon 2009/06/08 02:42:51
    Jon
    But I used to do yard work for neighbor, for $20 a week.
    And I think $18 would be better than $12.
  • moondancer627 2009/06/08 00:15:41
    moondancer627
    The last time I made almost $12 an hour was when I had worked for a company for 14 years, unfortunately the job sucked and I quit cause I couldn't handle the s/it any longer. I am now at a school district for 3 years and am only making $10 an hour and next year due to budget cuts they are freezing everyone's nickel raise. 3 years 10 year budget cuts freezing everyones nickel raise
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2009/06/08 00:01:05
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    I only get 7.75 -_-
  • Adam 2009/06/07 23:22:26
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Adam
    +1
    If a person made $12 an hour they would find it hard to buy the things they need to live. Most homes are around $900 a month. A good reliable car could cost you around $300 a month. Your light bill and telephone could cost you around $200 for the lights and around $100 for your phone and Internet. Insurance for you car is around $100 a month depending on where you live and how old you are. That alone would be $1,600 a month. That does not include gas, food, and other expenses. These things alone could bump your bills up to $2,000 a month. For a 40 hour week that would only give you $480 dollars a week, which is around 2,080 a month on average before taxes and health insurance. That is not enough.
  • moondan... Adam 2009/06/08 00:17:51
    moondancer627
    Most "middle class working poor "don't make even 12 an hour and we still can buy things. I have an apartment, clothes, car, ect. Although I eat sunshine in Arizona.
  • Adam moondan... 2009/06/08 05:19:08
    Adam
    +1
    I lived in Florida and my wife was working for $10 an hour while I was making $12 an hour and we just had enough to function. No money for medical bills, savings, two cars, or any of the extra things that make life that much more enjoyable. If we wanted to go on vacation we had to save all year long. It is very hard to live on that kind of money. I would have a hard time taking a job less than $25 an hour, but that is me.
  • Philade... moondan... 2009/06/08 13:49:28
    Philadelphia Freedom
    Is it you and someone else or just you alone thats the real question cause two paychecks are better than one , I know because my wife is going to school and is not working now and i was used to having a budget of about 900.00$ a week and now i am down to about 500.00 and that is something your not used to it still pays the bills but next to nothing goes into savings .
  • Anthony... Adam 2013/03/02 01:34:53
    Anthony West
    +1
    again depends on where you live,I have a 3 br house for 450 a month,light bill is about 125 and my insurance for car and minivan is 89,I do make way better than 12 but I could live off of it if I had to.I live in northeast Arkansas
  • Louis Shipman 2009/06/07 21:54:27
    Louis Shipman
    It depends on where you live. Here in S.E. Kansas that is a good starting wage. Matter of fact right now I wish I could find one right now.
  • BillySteve 2009/06/07 21:54:12
    BillySteve
    Around here it's not too bad, this is a rural area. In big cities it's poverty wages.

I've never ever seen a $28.00 an hour "entry level job". Where on earth is this seen, in Tokyo?
  • CyniqueCharme~La Patron Sup... 2009/06/07 19:34:34 (edited)
    CyniqueCharme~La Patron Suprême de P.H.A.E.T
    Its better then I make. Its above minimum wage, anyway.

I don't know if I would go as far as to say its "good". But its not terrible.
    Its more then most people make in an hour, anyways. And I would rather be underpaid, then to not have any job at all.
  • Chaotixa 2009/06/07 18:52:22
    Chaotixa
    my husband just spent the last 6 months looking for a job and all he got was a regular crew member position at a fast food joint making minimum wage. He used to make twice as much. its been really hard for us, but we're making it work. 12$ an hour is a dream come true to alot of people who have nothing right now. i think its a great place to start for all those who have no jobs, 0$ an hour, or in my case, crappy jobs and minimum dollars an hour.
  • ladypuppylove 2009/06/07 17:42:31
    ladypuppylove
    Just be thankful that you have a job
  • Torchy 2009/06/07 16:04:23
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Torchy
    I make $15 an hour before taxes. I'm sure $12 is better than nothing; but I know with my student debt, my rent, and other misc. household bills, I couldn't live on $12 an hour.
  • Adam Torchy 2009/06/07 23:24:19
    Adam
    +2
    Hell I make $38 dollars an hour and I find it hard sometimes.
  • Tobi 2009/06/07 14:58:08
    No. $12 an hour seems too little
    Tobi
    +1
    for a 14 year old, yes.
    to support a family, No.
    it is better then nothing though.
  • Nathan ... Tobi 2011/11/15 07:23:05
    Nathan Kratochvil
    +1
    I don't know what kind of 14 year old you think makes $12 an hour, but okay.
  • Spizzzo BN-0 2009/06/07 07:35:25
    Spizzzo BN-0
    +1
    it's not very good, but barely decent.
  • Wicked (Holla Back Boy) 2009/06/07 06:55:51
    Wicked (Holla Back Boy)
    I make 12.50 an hour... though my job is dangerous, and I also make 11.50 an hour at my other job. Isn't dangerous but requires a talent to deal with annoying people... and i'm in college. so i don't hold a degree... I think that's decent for non degree holders
  • david Wicked ... 2013/01/17 15:03:26
    david
    +8
    I'm still studying and I get $29 an hour

2014/04/19 06:32:38